Help with planning an awesome day at Cocoa Beach

Duffy Lover

What?!?!? No!
Hi, all! The Disboards folks are always super helpful, so I'm hoping y'all can help me plan an awesome day on Florida's Space Coast. It will be just DH, DD (14), and DD (11) on an upcoming Tuesday. We're "renting" a car via Turo and heading out from CBR early in the am and coming home as late as we want (we get the car until 11 pm). Here's what we'd like to do:

1. Go to the beach
2. Do some touristy shopping
3. Have a great lunch and/or dinner at an amazing local place (not too $$, but we can drop some $ on dinner)

So. What's the best beach for tween/teen girls? Where is the best shopping? And where to have lunch and/or dinner?

Local and Florida girl here... we were just over there with family that came to visit... it our go to when family come to visit and wants to see the beach...

Beach - Jetty Park - its right next to the Port, and you can see the ships come in and out.... Just beautiful area

Tourist shopping - Ron Jon's surf shop, this is one stop that you will want to check out... It is a must do...It's kinda a famous spot, and everyone wants to get a T-shirt from there, and it's more than just a surf shop, It's 2 stories, really nice, and has so much stuff in it...
There are lots of other beach shops on the main drag...

Restaurants - Grills at the Port... beautiful setting right on the water, and really great food...

Enjoy

Beach .... Jetty park IS good but you must pay to get in and they limit admission.
Mid week you should be fine. BUT NOTE: at this time you must buy a one day pass on line IN ADVANCE .... https://www.portcanaveral.com/Recreation/Jetty-Park-Beach-Pier

Also popular is the area near "Westgate Cocoa Beach" (formerly Canaveral) Pier where you can typically find ample parking either in their lot (pay), or at a meter on nearby side streets. No advance purchase required. The pier has more 'concessions' then does Jetty Park .... nice lil bar all the way at the end (small fee to go alll the way out) There are tables so kids OK https://www.cocoabeachpier.com/ <surfing lessons anyone 👍 >

If going to Ron Jon you'll be next to Shepard Park which is nice beach with some concessions and a short walk to RJ .... (pay to park) http://www.cityofcocoabeach.com/facilities/facility/details/Alan-Shepard-Park-21

Shopping: as mentioned Ron Jon is kinda THE tourist place but there are a BUNCH of other places along A1A with BIG signs. RJ will never win an award for low prices but it is practically a RULE that visitors to Cocoa Beach have at least one item bearing Ron Jon logo when returning to Orlando from 'beach side' :rolleyes1

Food: I take visitors to Grills as a rule ..... fun to see the boats and ships (cruise ships if they are back by then) and not unusual to see dolphins and sea turtles and the occasional manatee. Large outside area or tables inside too if you've had enuf sun. https://www.grillsseafood.com/port-canaveral/

in the same general area also find Fishlips and Rusty's also right on channelside ......

there are MANY more places with food as good or better BUT these spots IN the port have a great view ..... food is GOOD IMO .... <curiously you find FEW restaurants right on the ocean in Cocoa Beach but if you want this and willing to drive just a couple of miles south on A1A there's https://www.coconutsonthebeach.com/ {I prefer the food at Grills}>

and DON'T forget to check the launch schedule for 'the Cape' ....... a launch can impact crowds at popular viewing sites ... LIKE Jetty Park AND the pier ...... https://spacecoastlaunches.com/launch-schedule/ ... don't let a scheduled launch keep you away (most end up cancelled/moved anyway), just be aware there could be increased crowds (but NOTHING like the old days)

HOW about a NICE walk ..... park at Jetty, walk the beach past the pier, then cut over to RJ ..... walk back ..... about 7 miles. Just a nice 'stretch of the legs' ....... 2 bonus points if you are first to identify the movie the line comes from . . . :fish:

Last edited:
You are getting a lot of good advice. If you like Italian food, we always make a point of going to Zarrellas in Cape Canaveral whenever I visit my sister (she works in Cocoa Beach). It is at the last intersection with a light heading north towards the port on A1A, diagonally across from the McDonalds.

My kids are the same age, but boys (15 and 11). I am assuming the advice stays the same? I know if you are telling the 14-15 year old girls to go here, that will keep my older son happy.

You guys are the best! Thanks for the input!

My kids are the same age, but boys (15 and 11). I am assuming the advice stays the same? I know if you are telling the 14-15 year old girls to go here, that will keep my older son happy.

That cracked me up, @GoofyDad_4427! My 14 yo DD is so boy crazy right now...

My friend and I tried to do a day trip a few years ago. I thought I did a lot of research but apparently not enough. We parked at the pier which was just the worst idea. I thought it would be easy to walk to stuff from there. Thought there would be more touristy shops around it. It wasn't (unless we walked the wrong way) We did end up making it down to RJ's and turns out they have free parking there. At that time there was a cute and fun key lime store in their parking lot area too.
I wish we would have been more near the port I think.

footnotes:

The pier had gone downhill but was bought by a Westgate a few years back and they spent a bit bringing it back up. But you are correct in that other than what's ON the pier ... not much else in terms of shopping in the area. But it IS one of the spots the surf crowd gathers . . .

You will find a small cluster of other stores around RJ but no major collection ....

For a 'quaint shopping experience' in the area you'd be better off in Cocoa Village ..... https://visitcocoavillage.com/shopping/ (adults .. not a kid place ...)

For a busy beach with others .... Jetty Park, Pier, Shepard, Lorri Wilson and Coconuts area to the south are all popular. For a quiet chunk of beach keep heading south to the Patrick Space (Air) Force base area. On a week day not uncommon to find a spot on the beach here and not see another soul for 1/4 mile ..... but no life guards and limited facilities (occasional shower and bath rooms) ... popular with the surfers. The beach is ON the base but outside the gate & open to the public and directly accessible from A1A with ample FREE parking

Last edited:
We did end up making it down to RJ's and turns out they have free parking there.

Careful readers may see this conflicts with me cuz I say there is pay parking at Shep' park near RJ. BOTH are true .... there is AMPLE FREE parking for RJ .... but using this parking to go to the beach is a no-no. The park has pay parking and there are meters in the area too. How actively do they patrol? Probably depends on the day and the crowds .....

Hi everyone! We, too, are planning a day trip soon to a beach from Orlando and this thread is great! We will have a car but I am trying to find the closest option to get my kids an ocean experience. I'm trying to minimize car time since my youngest is prone to carsickness. Anyway, what I'm really looking for is advice on renting beach chairs, umbrella, etc. at either Jetty Beach or Cocoa Beach. For Cocoa Beach, it looks like places like A1A Beach Rentals don't have any availability for most equipment rentals ALL SUMMER! Yikes. Anyway, after reading this thread I'm thinking maybe we'll shift to Jetty. I'm fine with the entrance fee, but I can't tell if we can rent chairs, etc. there or not? And/or, is there somewhere in Orlando we can rent beach stuff and then just take it with us for the day instead? Thank you all!

HOW about a NICE walk ..... park at Jetty, walk the beach past the pier, then cut over to RJ ..... walk back ..... about 7 miles. Just a nice 'stretch of the legs' ....... 2 bonus points if you are first to identify the movie the line comes from . . . :fish:
[/QUOTE]

The Quiet Man? ( Maureen O’Hara and John Wayne)

did you call them (A1A)? I agree the web site isn't showing any availability but I suspect that's WRONG and the site is just busted.

In general there are providers near the beach, or right on the beach at Jetty and 'the pier' don't expect web sites!!! Often these are VERY SMALL operations!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Make a splash during your visit to the Westgate Cocoa Beach Pier! Look no further than Trader Rick's Marketplace for everything you need to have a great day at the beach including water floats, flip-flops, goggles, body boards, coolers, cups, beach sport essentials and more! Don't forget to ask about our beach rentals like volleyballs, surfboards, umbrellas and chairs. There is never a bad day at the Pier with all of the fun activities available right on the beach. In addition, bicycle rentals are available:

• Hours: Sunday - Thursday 9 AM - 5 PM, Friday - Saturday 9 AM - 6 PM
  • Bike rentals can be rented from Trader Ricks daily from 9 AM-5PM
  • The bicycles are upscale beach cruisers that can be ridden on the beach or sidewalks
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The Cocoa Beach Ron Jon Surf Shop is also the world's largest surf shop at 52,000 square feet. Our flagship store has been dubbed "One Of A Kind" for the past 50 years and is our largest store to date. This store offers everything you could possibly need for the beach lifestyle.

Also located next door to our Cocoa Beach store is our Watersports store for all your beach rental needs. Surfboards, beach bikes, paddleboards, beach chairs and more.

Last edited:
@Capt_BJ, No I did not call and I will do that. And thanks for the other info, too. Very helpful! I suppose I'm a planner to a fault and worry about us showing up at the beach and then having no way to get the gear! Seems I need to go with the flow a bit more, LOL! (and resort to phone rather than just the web) And I actually didn't know about the largest Ron Jon's being there. Sounds like a fun break from the sun and heat! Thank you so much!

I just checked and you could buy a beach umbrella and beach chairs for under $10 each at Walmart near the beach ..... that just may be less then rental fee!

Find a donation box on way out of town . . .

Last edited:
Grab ice cream at The Fat Donkey.

We just stayed at a condo right next to Lori Wilson Park and the beach there is DIVINE.

RonJon's is a given.

You HAVE to stop by The DISboards Welcome Center. It's right there.

Grab ice cream at The Fat Donkey.

We just stayed at a condo right next to Lori Wilson Park and the beach there is DIVINE.

RonJon's is a given.

You HAVE to stop by The DISboards Welcome Center. It's right there.

For real? The DISboards Welcome Center? Are you pulling my leg... tell me more!

This thread is fantastic! My family and I are spending our last day in Fl at Cocoa Beach after a week at Disney! So much great information!

For real? The DISboards Welcome Center? Are you pulling my leg... tell me more!
i would not go out of my way .....

6550 N Atlantic Ave
Cape Canaveral

View attachment 583819

http://diswelcomecenter.com/
world headquarters of Dreams Unlimited travel agency

One does not need to go "out of my way" as it is literally on the way to everything there is in Cocoa Beach. We passed it every single day we were there. Worth stopping in to say hello to Theresa or even just grabbing a selfie if you are a DISBoards fan.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter