Help with deluxe resort choice please!

Alison S

Mouseketeer
I am thinking about going to DW for a week at the end of April 2020, along with my son (who will be 7 at the time). Last year we stayed at the Polynesian. We LOVED the atmosphere- the paths lit with torches, the pool overlooking the lake, the volcano slide, DS loved the water play area (which I think he is too old/tall for now...) and eating at the pool bar (he thought this was the greatest thing ever). We are people who get up early, tour and come back to our resort in the late afternoon and spend all evening at the resort enjoying the pool.

So keeping all that in mind- should we
1. Stay at the poly again. I would kinda like to try somewhere new, as I often find that when I go back somewhere I don't like it as much the second time. Plus, we can always return in the future.
2. AKL- Jambo or Kidani. The "atmosphere" also seems amazing. I like that there are two pools to choose from, but don't love the shuttle bus between them. I also like that it tends to be on the cheaper end for the deluxe resorts!
3. YC/BC. DS wants to go to there because of the pool area. I agree it looks nice...but when I look at photos I just don't love it. Does it look better in person? This place seems like the logical choice (location, activities, supposed to be the best pool area) but my heart just isn't into it. Convince me that I'm wrong :)
4. Another option?

Thanks for your opinions!

Storm-a-long Bay is definitely worth seeing at least once and you cant beat walking to two parks. The pools at AKL are equally as impressive in my opinion but the location is a bummer for us. But we stilt love it there.

Because it's a wonderful hotel that would fit your needs as a family who likes to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of the resort at night. Plus there is plenty to do on the boardwalk, you can easily travel to the Beach and Yacht Clubs to do things/eat there as well as the Swan/Dolphin resorts. It's also an easy walk to to EPCOT. Don't let the Luna Park (clown) pool turn you away from a great place. Anything else you would like to know could be answered here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...las-information-and-questions-thread.3344344/

I'd personally go YC/BC for sure. You basically get a mini water park at your resort. You can take a boat or walk to EPCOT or even DHS (although the walk is longer). And you have so many resorts all clustered together within easy walking distance that you really open up your non-park choices. :)

If your DS will be too tall for the splash pads, I would probably consider BC. While the theming isn't as impressive as Poly (heck, Poly theming is hard to top!), the pool and convenience to two parks is fantastic. Plus, you can walk over to play Fantasia mini-golf, go to the Boardwalk at night for carnival games, jugglers and magicians, rent a surrey bike, etc. As my DS got older (he is now 11), the EP resort area became his favorite simply due to the fun stuff on the Boardwalk in the evening.

If you would rather go with theming, I would do AKL or WL. AKL is stunning and a really special place with the savannah. The shuttle between Jambo and Kidani literally takes minutes and you can walk between the two as well. WL is also gorgeous (designed by the same team that did AKL) and you can also very easily take a boat over to Ft. W to enjoy all that it has to offer (the stables, Chip and Dale sing-a-long, a playground, HDDR). Just know, the pools at AKL and WL don't hold a candle to Poly or BC/YC.

Beach Club is fantastic! Besides Stormalong Bay, there is a quiet pool (near the back entrance to EPCOT). If you say the Villas side, there is another pool there

If your DS will be too tall for the splash pads, I would probably consider BC. While the theming isn't as impressive as Poly (heck, Poly theming is hard to top!), the pool and convenience to two parks is fantastic. Plus, you can walk over to play Fantasia mini-golf, go to the Boardwalk at night for carnival games, jugglers and magicians, rent a surrey bike, etc. As my DS got older (he is now 11), the EP resort area became his favorite simply due to the fun stuff on the Boardwalk in the evening.

If you would rather go with theming, I would do AKL or WL. AKL is stunning and a really special place with the savannah. The shuttle between Jambo and Kidani literally takes minutes and you can walk between the two as well. WL is also gorgeous (designed by the same team that did AKL) and you can also very easily take a boat over to Ft. W to enjoy all that it has to offer (the stables, Chip and Dale sing-a-long, a playground, HDDR). Just know, the pools at AKL and WL don't hold a candle to Poly or BC/YC.

So basically I need to plan 4 more trips to try all the hotels? That'll be fun :). Lots of good points in your post, thanks!

While the BC pool is amazing, with just you and your son I would not recommend staying there. We stay at the BC when it is the whole family, but the area is very big if it's just the two of you. I have done a couple of solo trips with my youngest, now 8, and would not do the BC with just the two of us. The lazy river is very deep, the entrance to the slide is across the boardwalk, and you would need to stay with him the entire time.

The Poly is my favorite resort, so I will pick that over anything else, but my son loved staying at AK too (He liked Kadani better than Jambo House). We are staying at the BWV for the first time next week, so I have no experience, but he is very excited about the clown pool. I will mention that we are staying there for two nights followed by four nights at the Poly.

So basically I need to plan 4 more trips to try all the hotels? That'll be fun :). Lots of good points in your post, thanks!

That's what we did, LOL! And we still go back a lot and switch resorts up based on our mood and what our focus is for any given trip. Just to answer your BWI question. The clown pool is actually pretty awesome (and I HATE clowns!). The slide is one of the best on property (my DS11's favorite!) and what's really nice is, if your child is a strong swimmer, you can sit on the pool deck and see him in every area of the pool even as he walks up the stairs to the slide and goes down the slide. I missed the part where you stated you were traveling alone with your DS7. BWI might not be a bad choice for you simply due to the visibility at the pool. The pool games there are also a ton of fun. Plus, you are much closer to the Boardwalk for the evening's entertainment. BWI is my DS11's favorite resort. We actually prefer the villas side as it's a little quieter. If you consider this option, you may want to consider pricing out a studio to see if it's cheaper than a regular resort room. (You could do this for BC as well if you decide to stay there)

While the BC pool is amazing, with just you and your son I would not recommend staying there. We stay at the BC when it is the whole family, but the area is very big if it's just the two of you. I have done a couple of solo trips with my youngest, now 8, and would not do the BC with just the two of us. The lazy river is very deep, the entrance to the slide is across the boardwalk, and you would need to stay with him the entire time.

The Poly is my favorite resort, so I will pick that over anything else, but my son loved staying at AK too (He liked Kadani better than Jambo House). We are staying at the BWV for the first time next week, so I have no experience, but he is very excited about the clown pool. I will mention that we are staying there for two nights followed by four nights at the Poly.

I've done BC alone with my DS11 multiple times. I agree with you regarding the slide. When he was very young, we stuck to the small pool and small slide behind the Flying Jib and the big child's pool area. When he got older (around 7 years of age) and was a strong swimmer, we would do the Flying Jib together. I would go down first and then he would go (there is a lifeguard at the top of the slide, so I felt comfortable doing this). It's totally a parent's call as to whether they feel comfortable sending a young child up there alone (we saw plenty of kids younger than DS up there). I just didn't feel comfortable with that, so, I guess my advice for a parent traveling alone to BC with a young child - prepare to go down the Flying Jib, LOL! We are staying at BC with a friend and her DS11 this upcoming July and I look forward to the boys going down the slide together as the other mom and I relax next to the slide exit.

I am thinking about going to DW for a week at the end of April 2020, along with my son (who will be 7 at the time). Last year we stayed at the Polynesian. We LOVED the atmosphere- the paths lit with torches, the pool overlooking the lake, the volcano slide, DS loved the water play area (which I think he is too old/tall for now...) and eating at the pool bar (he thought this was the greatest thing ever). We are people who get up early, tour and come back to our resort in the late afternoon and spend all evening at the resort enjoying the pool.

So keeping all that in mind- should we
1. Stay at the poly again. I would kinda like to try somewhere new, as I often find that when I go back somewhere I don't like it as much the second time. Plus, we can always return in the future.
2. AKL- Jambo or Kidani. The "atmosphere" also seems amazing. I like that there are two pools to choose from, but don't love the shuttle bus between them. I also like that it tends to be on the cheaper end for the deluxe resorts!
3. YC/BC. DS wants to go to there because of the pool area. I agree it looks nice...but when I look at photos I just don't love it. Does it look better in person? This place seems like the logical choice (location, activities, supposed to be the best pool area) but my heart just isn't into it. Convince me that I'm wrong :)
4. Another option?

Thanks for your opinions!

The Poly is my overall favorite, so I understand your love for it. With that said, we also like trying new resorts. Haven't tried YC, but have stayed at BC and while it is a nice resort, it's not one of my favorites. SAB is a nice pool, but honestly, I like the Poly volcano pool better (as well as other resorts pools)...I just wasn't wow'd by SAB. I agree with others who suggest AKL or WL. I think BWI is another great suggestion :).

Don't let the Luna Park (clown) pool turn you away from a great place.

I agree :-)

So basically I need to plan 4 more trips to try all the hotels?

::yes::

The clown is the whole reason I WANT to stay there. It's amazing.

:thumbsup2

I've done BC alone with my DS11 multiple times. I agree with you regarding the slide. When he was very young, we stuck to the small pool and small slide behind the Flying Jib and the big child's pool area. When he got older (around 7 years of age) and was a strong swimmer, we would do the Flying Jib together. I would go down first and then he would go (there is a lifeguard at the top of the slide, so I felt comfortable doing this). It's totally a parent's call as to whether they feel comfortable sending a young child up there alone (we saw plenty of kids younger than DS up there). I just didn't feel comfortable with that, so, I guess my advice for a parent traveling alone to BC with a young child - prepare to go down the Flying Jib, LOL! We are staying at BC with a friend and her DS11 this upcoming July and I look forward to the boys going down the slide together as the other mom and I relax next to the slide exit.

Good advice. I would definitely do as you did (I'd go down first). At the poly I did this for awhile and then I hung out at the bottom and he went up by himself (no lifeguard but I felt comfortable with it). But I would probably not be comfortable with doing that at the BC...

What about the pools at AKL makes it worse than the Poly? From looking at pics & videos of both slides it seems equivalent, so I need your first hand advice! Do you know how often the shuttle comes by? Or how long of a walk it is?

Boardwalk is a really nice hotel and I love the pool. It never seemed crazy crowded and yes the Clown is a little creepy, but the actual slide is awesome, maybe the best on property (in my opinion) I wasn't a huge fan of the pool at Beach Club. There are a lot of areas and it could be a little difficult keeping track of your son. The slide entrance is also outside of the pool so that's something to think about. Beach Club is probably my least favorite deluxe, but I seem to stay there the most for some reason. The location is fabulous though being able to walk to two parks.

You could also look into the Contemporary. I love their theme park view rooms and how the monorail goes through the hotel. It's also great to be able to walk to Magic Kingdom.

The Poly is our home resort, and we never thought we would want to stay anywhere else. We were out of points last summer and decided to try BC. We were skeptical at first, but we ended up loving it. Our boys are 6 & 8 and think that Stormalong Bay is the best. It is definitely a different atmosphere than the Poly, but it would be worth it to give it a chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter