Help with budget trip to Savannah, GA

LOL, no not all the way to Florida yet. I was born in the Detroit area, moved to Greenville, SC, and now I am in Savannah-I am slowly working my way south! I keep telling my DH I will move East or South, but not North or West!!

Funny, I had mentioned in my post that I have seen Paula, Jaime, and Michael at Publix-this afternoon I saw Bobby at the Publix on Wilmington Island. I am a fulfilled woman now, I have seen them all!:laughing:

Too funny. My DH is from Nebraska, and I said no way in Hades am I moving north, my blood is too thin and I would freeze to death!
I've run into Paula and her DH at the Wal Mart on Whitemarsh Island, I wouldn't have know it was her if I hadn't seen him...trust me when I say she looks TOTALLY different without her makeup on! :scared1:

If you are looking for a cheaper place to stay, check out places that are in midtown Savannah, near the mall. You won't have the convenience of having all of the historical district within walking distance, but it will save you some money.

Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!

We used one at Moon River Brewing company last summer (we usually go to Hilton Head for a week every summer and go to Savannah at least twice during our stay).
We had lunch food and it was fine, I think the 4 of us ate for about $20 with the coupon. I recommended a friend to go there and they ate dinner and said it was not good, so I'd stick with the burgers and lunch-type fare.
Oh, and you do know Moon River is haunted right? Have seen it on many shows including Ghost Hunters, make sure to go down in the basement where the pool tables are, that's where they caught something eerie on video.

You can take the ferry for free over to the Westin across the river and get some beautiful pictures of the old buildings on River Street from there.

Oglethorpe tours are the $10 trolleys, we do them every time we go.

I've heard Mrs. Wilkes dining room is awesome and we plan on eating there this trip (we leave for HHI in 6 days!). Every trip prior we've eaten at Pirates House (a little pricey) but last time we got in on a very cool (and free) tour from a Johnny Depp looking pirate that happened to be in there, talking about the history of Savannah and the Pirate House in particular (he was awesome, even talked and mimicked the mannerisms of Johnny Depp's character).
And if you are really into ghosts and do happen to go to Pirate House, ask if Murray is there. He is THE person in Savannah to talk to about ghosts and hauntings.

Walk along river street in the evening, it's pretty cool and stop in the place that gives free samples of the praline candy. YUM!

A great place to get ideas of things to do and see, and also to see a calendar of events is http://www.savannahvisit.com/visitors.asp

Have a great time! I keep trying to convince DH we need to move to Savannah because I was a southern belle in a past life....:rotfl:
I love it there!

4seasons, thanks for the tip about the place that gives free samples of the praline candy--is it a candy store on River st?

We're big Mrs Wilkes fans but on this trip would have to wake up at 5-6 am to get to Savannah by 1, so it looks like we're not going to get there on time to get in line since Mrs Wilkes stops serving at 2--so having dinner somewhere else in the historic district instead. We're wondering about Moon River, and also looking at Tripadvisor reviews of other places downtown I'm interested in this BBQ place, Barnes Express--has anyone been there or to their other branches?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...-Reviews-Barnes_Express-Savannah_Georgia.html

Also what can people tell us about parking in the historic district? When we went we took a trolley tour (Oglethorpe, $10 for all day on-off) and walked--I think I remember hearing that it's very difficult to find parking?

I think the place is called River Street Sweets. It smells SOOOOO good in there! Do not go in hungry or you will leave with a much lighter wallet, LOL.

Another place we've eaten at before that we like is One Eyed Lizzy's on River Street, great fajitas!

Parking is by meters thruout the historic district, there is paid parking at the visitors center as well. Not sure about parking garages because we can never use them, our van is a hightop conversion and we can never fit in them.

BTW just saw a commercial on the Travel Channel that Moon River Brewing co. will be featured on Ghost Adventures this coming friday at 9 pm!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter