Help with budget trip to Savannah, GA

Went to the Lady and Sons in April. We got in line at 8:30 AM for a reservation, the line was to the end of the block, they started taking reservations at 9:30 AM. When we got to the podium the times available for lunch were 11:00 or 2:30. It was a Saturday. We had tried to have lunch there on Thursday and at 11:30 they were booked for the entire day. My advice is get there early. If you think you'll see Paula Deen if you do the tour...probably won't according to die hard folks in line with us. Fun place..save room for the hoe cakes.

Tybee Island is about 30 to 45 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic. Miley Cyrus is on Tybee right now filming a movie, so traffic has been horrible (I live on an island that's on the way to the beach), especially on the weekends. The beach is public, though with the film shooting there aren't too many parking spots to be found since they have a lot of spaces blocked off with no access.
If you're looking for good southern cooking, Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is a local favorite (we don't go to Paula's much anymore since it got to be such a tourist spot...used to be great when it was in City Market). It's over on Jones St. in the historic district. Uncle Bubba's is literally 2 minutes from my house and I've been there once, the food was just ok, and they were out of everything I tried to order from the menu.

Went to the Lady and Sons in April. We got in line at 8:30 AM for a reservation, the line was to the end of the block, they started taking reservations at 9:30 AM. When we got to the podium the times available for lunch were 11:00 or 2:30. It was a Saturday. We had tried to have lunch there on Thursday and at 11:30 they were booked for the entire day. My advice is get there early. If you think you'll see Paula Deen if you do the tour...probably won't according to die hard folks in line with us. Fun place..save room for the hoe cakes.

Oh okay. Wow! Sounds like it's crazy there. So if I'm understanding this right, you have to make reservations in person. Is that correct? And you need to arrive very early and stand in line until 9:30? Wow.

Went to Savannah a few years ago. My husband and I went on a daytime walking tour with Bobby Davis from www.exploresavannah.com This was such a great tour that we decided to take his ghost tour that night. The ghost tour is a walking tour, but well worth it. I think it was like 10-15 dollars a person.
Jen

Just wanted to add that "Health" magazine just rated Tybee as its healthiest beach!

"Tybee earned high marks from the judge’s panel, using criteria such as the average cost to stay in the area, the variety of healthy activities and healthy food available, air and water quality, and presence of emergency personnel like lifeguards.

“It shows that we are doing a great job with our beach water quality, which is a really important issue. A lot of communities around the country have had to close down their beaches because they haven’t necessarily been good stewards of their environment, and we’ve taken proactive measures to make sure our beach water quality is very good,“ said Mayor Jason Buelterman.

Biking, walking, and other outdoor activities helped Tybee score well with Health magazine and with those who stay here often.

“You can bicycle any where here on the island and we love to walk on the beach, it’s a nice long beach, you can walk forever really. but I will say when I’m here I tend to eat a lot more fried food than I ever would in Massachusetts,“ said Debbie Davidson, a Massachusetts resident who also owns a condo on Tybee.

The city and volunteers also work hard to keep the beaches litter-free. Visitors and long-time islanders say being named Healthiest Beach is an exciting honor for the entire Tybee community.

“We’ll look for that healthy attitude out there, all those people out walking ‘cause we really have seen quite a few people out running and out on their bicycles and stuff,“ said Don Dorrell of Indiana, a first-time visitor to Tybee.

“They evaluated beaches all around the United States and for our little tiny community to take home this honor is quite something,“ said Buelterman."

Oh okay. Wow! Sounds like it's crazy there. So if I'm understanding this right, you have to make reservations in person. Is that correct? And you need to arrive very early and stand in line until 9:30? Wow.

That is right, especially on a Saturday. When we went, Dh got in line at 2:30pm and our ressie was for 9:30pm. reservations were handled differently then, seems it has changed since we have been.

Suzanne

Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!

Has anyone used the gift certificates from restaurant.com in Savannah? There are three restaurants that I'm interested in ... one called the Bayou Cafe and Blues Bar, the Moon River Brewing Company, and Corleone's Trattoria. Has anyone been to these restaurants and know about the food?

Thanks!

I have eated at Moon River. I don't remember exactly what they had on their menu but I believe it was burgers, ribs, steaks, etc., and I do remember we enjoyed our meal. It's a nice place!

Tybee Island is about 30 to 45 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic. Miley Cyrus is on Tybee right now filming a movie, so traffic has been horrible (I live on an island that's on the way to the beach), especially on the weekends. The beach is public, though with the film shooting there aren't too many parking spots to be found since they have a lot of spaces blocked off with no access.
If you're looking for good southern cooking, Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is a local favorite (we don't go to Paula's much anymore since it got to be such a tourist spot...used to be great when it was in City Market). It's over on Jones St. in the historic district. Uncle Bubba's is literally 2 minutes from my house and I've been there once, the food was just ok, and they were out of everything I tried to order from the menu.

We are very close neighbors, I live on Whitemarsh Island and our Dr.'s offices are right across the street from Uncle Bubba's! We haven't been to the beach since Miley took over, I bet it's a mess out there!

Moon River Brewing Company is very good and they are listed with Restaurants.com. I have lived in Savannah for 4 years now and I haven't taken a tour or eaten at Paula Deen's- I have no interest in either. I have however, seen Jaime and his family, Michael, and Paula all at Publix grocery store!

We've been on a lot of different ghost tours. If you google "Savannah ghost tour," you'll see a bunch come up. If you visit the web sites of some of the tours, they'll sometimes offer either discounts if you book online or coupons to print out and use at the time of the tour.

We stayed at the Eliza Thompson Inn, a B&B off Bull St. and Jones. Breakfast and snacks throughout the day are included, so that was nice for our budget. They offer packages on their web site. It was a bit of a walk to River Street (but so nice to do so; we loved all the parks that we walked through!) but right up the street from Mrs. Wilkes', which was delicious! We went in the Paul Deen shop, but didn't want to wait in line to eat there. There's quite a bit of walking around to do during the day, and that's free!

Oh, and like someone else said, pick up some of the free tourist-y magazines. They have some cool discounts, if you're lucky.

I was born and raised in Savannah and still live here. I love Savannah and will be glad to help you with anything that you need.

I saw that that you mentioned Paula Deen. I would not waste my money on the tour. (Sorry Paula!) I would just eat at Lady and Sons. But get there early for dinner or lunch because there is always a long line. It is the busiest part of downtown.

You also mentioned taking a ghost tour. The walking tours are great. My husband and I took a carriage ghost tour a few years ago and it was boring. It was a repeat of the book, "Savannah Spectors". Definitely buy that book while you are here.

Another tour that I heard was fun is the Ghost pub tour. You tour various bars throughout downtown and hear ghost stories. My husband and I keep saying that we are going to do that tour, but have not gotten around to it.

They usually do it in groups. Let us know when you are coming and we will get some more Savannahians together and take the tour with you. Beer and Ghost stories! FUN!!!!!

If you need anymore information, let me know. I will be glad to help.

I was born and raised in Savannah and still live here. I love Savannah and will be glad to help you with anything that you need.

I saw that that you mentioned Paula Deen. I would not waste my money on the tour. (Sorry Paula!) I would just eat at Lady and Sons. But get there early for dinner or lunch because there is always a long line. It is the busiest part of downtown.

You also mentioned taking a ghost tour. The walking tours are great. My husband and I took a carriage ghost tour a few years ago and it was boring. It was a repeat of the book, "Savannah Spectors". Definitely buy that book while you are here.

Another tour that I heard was fun is the Ghost pub tour. You tour various bars throughout downtown and hear ghost stories. My husband and I keep saying that we are going to do that tour, but have not gotten around to it.

They usually do it in groups. Let us know when you are coming and we will get some more Savannahians together and take the tour with you. Beer and Ghost stories! FUN!!!!!

If you need anymore information, let me know. I will be glad to help.

Hey! Thanks so much for all your info! I am so excited that now I have a direct source :) OK, I have really been hearing that the Paula Deen tour is not worth it and I'm so glad I asked because with spending over $100, I would be really, really disappointed if it wasn't awesome. And please tell me a little bit about Lady & Sons. I have heard all good things about the food but horrible things about being able to eat there. We are planning to go on July 31-August 2. I would like to eat there either Friday or Saturday night, so what do you suggest? We don't mind eating early - like around 5 o'clock or so but even then would it be tough to get in? I'm still a little unclear on whether or not that accept reservations only.

The pub tour is definitely something I am interested in. I am newly 21 (well, 6 months or so) so it really sounds up our alley! lol! Someone had mentioned the hearse tour as well and that looks neat. Do you think it will be the same stories though? If they were two different tours I would be willing to do both of them because DH has always talked about how he would love to go to Savannah and do the ghost tour (this trip is sort of a surprise getaway).

Another thing I wanted to ask you about: have you ever been to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre at the Pirate House? I think this would be a lot of fun for us if it is a good show. I have heard good things about it and that it was featured on Weekends with Samantha Brown.

OK this is getting really long, but can you tell me some other good restaurants that would be worth going to? If we go to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre then obviously that will include food but we will need to eat out at maybe 2 other places. We will be staying at the Hyatt (I got a really good rate on hotwire). What do you think of the Moon River Brewing Company? I ask because they have gift certificates for it on restaurant.com.

I think that's all for now but I am/will be definitely taking you up on your offer of giving me lots of information~! :) Thanks again!! :)

Here are a couple of links to Savannah threads:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2123959
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2176986

On both of these, posters agree that Lady and Sons is not as good as it used to be.
And I have to put in a good word for my favorite Savannah restaurant, Mrs. Wilkes, which Tripadvisor is currently listing as # 1 in Savannah: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...s_Wilkes_Boarding_House-Savannah_Georgia.html

Lady and Sons is # 79: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...s_Wilkes_Boarding_House-Savannah_Georgia.html

Here are a couple of links to Savannah threads:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2123959
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2176986

On both of these, posters agree that Lady and Sons is not as good as it used to be.
And I have to put in a good word for my favorite Savannah restaurant, Mrs. Wilkes, which Tripadvisor is currently listing as # 1 in Savannah: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...s_Wilkes_Boarding_House-Savannah_Georgia.html

Lady and Sons is # 79: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...s_Wilkes_Boarding_House-Savannah_Georgia.html

Is Mrs. Wilkes open on Saturday or Sunday? It might seem like a silly question but I just looked at their website and only saw a menu for Monday-Friday.

I don't know about others, but if and when (hopefully soon) we get back to Savannah we won't eat anywhere except Lady and Sons. I thought is was some of the best food I have ever eaten. We loved it so much, we might drive the 4 hours early on a Saturday morning just to get in for dinner and drive back home or spend 1 night and have dinner on Saturday evening and lunch on Sunday. You CANNOT make a reservation, but they wil give you a return time if you get their early enough. On Sunday if you get there before the church crowd lets out, you won't have to wait long.

I may just be prejudice because we are huge Paula Deen fans.

Suzanne

Hey! Thanks so much for all your info! I am so excited that now I have a direct source :) OK, I have really been hearing that the Paula Deen tour is not worth it and I'm so glad I asked because with spending over $100, I would be really, really disappointed if it wasn't awesome. And please tell me a little bit about Lady & Sons. I have heard all good things about the food but horrible things about being able to eat there. We are planning to go on July 31-August 2. I would like to eat there either Friday or Saturday night, so what do you suggest? We don't mind eating early - like around 5 o'clock or so but even then would it be tough to get in? I'm still a little unclear on whether or not that accept reservations only.

The pub tour is definitely something I am interested in. I am newly 21 (well, 6 months or so) so it really sounds up our alley! lol! Someone had mentioned the hearse tour as well and that looks neat. Do you think it will be the same stories though? If they were two different tours I would be willing to do both of them because DH has always talked about how he would love to go to Savannah and do the ghost tour (this trip is sort of a surprise getaway).

Another thing I wanted to ask you about: have you ever been to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre at the Pirate House? I think this would be a lot of fun for us if it is a good show. I have heard good things about it and that it was featured on Weekends with Samantha Brown.

OK this is getting really long, but can you tell me some other good restaurants that would be worth going to? If we go to the Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre then obviously that will include food but we will need to eat out at maybe 2 other places. We will be staying at the Hyatt (I got a really good rate on hotwire). What do you think of the Moon River Brewing Company? I ask because they have gift certificates for it on restaurant.com.

I think that's all for now but I am/will be definitely taking you up on your offer of giving me lots of information~! :) Thanks again!! :)

I have always heard good things about Lady & Sons, but there is ALWAYS a line to get in. This is Savannah's biggest tourist attraction at the moment. (I remember when it was all about, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") Friday night might be a little better than Saturday, but not alot. I do not believe that they take reservations. I would not worry about the amount of people. I would just give my name at the podium, wait my turn, and enjoy. At least this will be the only long wait you have, unlike WDW:lmao:

Most of the Ghost Tours tend to follow the, "Savannah Spectors" book, but I do not remember many stories about pubs, so the pub tour should be somewhat different. I think that it is more about the alcohol then the ghost stories. I have seen people on the hearse tour downtown and they seemed to be having a blast! That is probably worth doing. I recently saw a brochure from a trolley where they dress up and add some type of drama to the ghost tour. I will look for that info. and get back to you.

I do not know anything about the Murder Mystery at the Pirate's House, but I saw it on the Travel Channel the other day also. There used to be a dinner cruise called Murder Afloat. It might be the same group.

It is funny that you ask about the Moon River Brewing Company. My husband and I ate there for the first time last week. My food was terrible. I had the salmon. My husband's was okay. I can't remember what he got. I think if you want to eat there, I would stick to the bar food, burgers, sandwiches, etc. FYI, this is where one of the pub ghost tours start. But you do not have to eat there to participate in the tour.

In terms of restaurants our favorite downtown restaurants are Kevin Berrys (Irish and bar Food), Hueys (Cajun food), Pirates House (Love the lunch buffet), and Spanky's (Love the the chicken Fingers and spuds). Our favoite place is Vinnie Van Go Gos. It is located in City Market. They have the best pizza. It is inexpensive.They sell it by the slice and the slices are big.

Well I hope this helps. My children are whining to go somewhere, so I must go.

We are very close neighbors, I live on Whitemarsh Island and our Dr.'s offices are right across the street from Uncle Bubba's! We haven't been to the beach since Miley took over, I bet it's a mess out there!

Moon River Brewing Company is very good and they are listed with Restaurants.com. I have lived in Savannah for 4 years now and I haven't taken a tour or eaten at Paula Deen's- I have no interest in either. I have however, seen Jaime and his family, Michael, and Paula all at Publix grocery store!

Hi neighbor! I thought you guys had moved to FL, lol. Yes, we're on Whitemarsh Island as well, I know just where the dr.'s office is ;) We have no interest in Paula either, Lady and Sons isn't as good as it used to be when it was in City Market. Mrs. Wilkes is soooo much better, but maybe we shouldn't give away our secret ;)

Hi neighbor! I thought you guys had moved to FL, lol. Yes, we're on Whitemarsh Island as well, I know just where the dr.'s office is ;) We have no interest in Paula either, Lady and Sons isn't as good as it used to be when it was in City Market. Mrs. Wilkes is soooo much better, but maybe we shouldn't give away our secret ;)

LOL, no not all the way to Florida yet. I was born in the Detroit area, moved to Greenville, SC, and now I am in Savannah-I am slowly working my way south! I keep telling my DH I will move East or South, but not North or West!!

Funny, I had mentioned in my post that I have seen Paula, Jaime, and Michael at Publix-this afternoon I saw Bobby at the Publix on Wilmington Island. I am a fulfilled woman now, I have seen them all!:laughing:

Thanks!

I stayed at the Marriott Courtyard, across the street from the visitor's center. 2 queen beds and super clean. Just don't eat breakfast, it stunk, lots of other places to eat.

I was there last Labor Day and we did the Trolley Tour for $20. This past January I was there, and Savannah was like a ghost town, but I did see lots of locals, and as they say, "watch were locals eat". I ate luch at the English Pub and another SoHo Resturant across the street from the Marriott.

I went into the Visitor center and they have representatives from hotels, talking about a special, or a buffet or luncheon, a home or a bed/breakfast is having. So definately stop in there first. I also did the $10 trolley tour this time. There trolley's are right next to the $20 trolley's in the parking lot at the Visitor Center.

I wanted to do a walking/ghost tour, but in winter they only have them on Thurs-Sunday and I was there on a Wednesday evening.

Have fun, I just walked into Paula Dean's resturant. One local told me her secret ingredient is "butter". She told me she cooks everything with butter, and this is why everything taste so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter