Help us decide on a deluxe!

ella6599

Mouseketeer
For a trip this August. Me, DH, DD 11 and DD 9. This will be our 6th trip as a family. We've stayed at POFQ, Pop, POFQ again, Dolphin/ Universal's Royal Pacific split stay, and an offsite hotel.

This year...we know it will be hot...we plan to spend a little more time at the resort, do a day at a waterpark (not sure which one), and park hop to see our favorite things, with the bulk of the time spent at MK and Epcot.

We've ruled out the GF (just a bit too rich for our blood), Contemporary (don't like the theme) and AKL (we went there for dinner last time and spent a little time exploring the resort...loved it, but have never been to any of the others at all, and want to try one).

So...between Yacht/Beach, Poly and Wilderness...which should we choose?

Poly has definite appeal due to location...would we feel like we'd stayed there before, since we've stayed at the Royal Pacific in the last few years?. Loved taking the boat to Epcot when we stayed at the Dolphin, and the SAB is a draw. DH prefers the theming at the other two. The Wilderness is a little less, and looks like a beautiful resort...is it too out of the way? How's the pool there?

Thanks!

The Poly is our favorite. We like the overall atmosphere and the transportation options. Monorail to MK, boat from the Poly to MK, and you can walk to the TTC.

This year...we know it will be hot...we plan to spend a little more time at the resort, do a day at a waterpark (not sure which one), and park hop to see our favorite things, with the bulk of the time spent at MK and Epcot.
So...between Yacht/Beach, Poly and Wilderness...which should we choose?

I've got kids about the same age as yours (12, 9, 8 during our trip). We picked the BC CL for our next trip in August we have hoppers, and will consider WPM after we are already there. SAB is such an awesome pool that they may not need the water parks. We think the convenience of being able to walk to two parks is a major draw. My kids' favorite rides were at DHS and at Epcot. We can head over to WS in the evenings to watch Illuminations or grab snacks even after we spend the day at AK or another park. Being able to walk over to mini-golf or to see the sights on the Boardwalk is just icing on the cake.

The Poly was our second choice. It looks like a nice, relaxing resort with a great CL. It's very convenient to the MK if you think you'll spend most of your time there.

They are all great choices, with the Poly being our favorite. The BC is great as it's within walking distance to Epcot and SAB is nice, but the Poly has larger rooms with all rooms having a daybed, the beach is great for watching the fireworks, the volcano pool is great with a view of the castle in the distance, it's only a 5-10 minute walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail, and it's just 2 monorail stops from MK. The WL is not out of the way as it's a quick boat ride to MK as well as to the CR where you can shop, dine, or visit and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. With that said, you can't go wrong with any of them as they are all great places to stay. Good luck deciding and have a great trip.

I've got kids about the same age as yours (12, 9, 8 during our trip). We picked the BC CL for our next trip in August we have hoppers, and will consider WPM after we are already there. SAB is such an awesome pool that they may not need the water parks. We think the convenience of being able to walk to two parks is a major draw. My kids' favorite rides were at DHS and at Epcot. We can head over to WS in the evenings to watch Illuminations or grab snacks even after we spend the day at AK or another park. Being able to walk over to mini-golf or to see the sights on the Boardwalk is just icing on the cake.

The Poly was our second choice. It looks like a nice, relaxing resort with a great CL. It's very convenient to the MK if you think you'll spend most of your time there.

Hi AliceIn! What is WPM?
Thanks,
Angeejoe

I vote for Beach/Yacht Club or Boardwalk Inn.
Why? Well because of Stormalong Bay for one. We're staying at the Beach Club in August for the first time and we can't wait to spend some time there!

Another reason is because like you said, it's so hot and you'll have easy boating or walking access to two parks with one of those resorts. We've stayed at the Poly and while we really enjoyed it, we far prefer the location of the Epcot resorts for convenience and atmosphere:)

I vote for the EPCOT area! ::yes:: I love everything the area has to offer! I love having boat/walking access to 2 parks. EPCOTS our favorite, and I love being able to pop over there for dining or entertainment. I vote for BC/YC, we love it! SAB is awesome!!;)

Another vote for the BC/YC. We are staying there in August also. I think it all depends on the time of year. If you factor in the time of year my opinion is the BC has the best pool. U can walk to 2 parks. If you were going at a different time of year I would suggest the poly being closer to MK and the monorail. But in August you are going to want a great pool to cool off in

I may be the only one, but my vote is for Wilderness Lodge!

We stayed there when I was 6 and again when I was 10, and we've loved it every time. Yes, the theming is a bit more muted than at the Poly, but I love the old rustic feel. There's a huge fireplace with rocking chairs in front of it where you can chill out, and there's a small fountain that starts in the lobby and flows out and to the pool. They have a water slide, and I know as a young kid I spent plenty of time splashing around.

In addition to the pool, you can rent watercraft (my Dad and I will spend hours in the watermice), there's tetherball (which is surprisingly fun for someone who's never played), and there's even a hidden Mickey scavenger hunt that's just for the hotel. There are also several nice walking trails that go around the resort and over to Fort Wilderness. And if you're looking for somewhere fun to eat, be sure to check out Whispering Canyon Cafe!

As far as transportation, yes the boats are slower than the monorail, but on a hot summer day there's no better feeling than the breeze off the lake as you cruise along.

BC for us, although we do love the Poly, we choose BC every time......

The Beach Club or BWI would be our choice. With 2 girls, don't rule out the GF because I've seen the Poly with higher rates. The GF is elegant but very down to earth if that makes sense. The CMs are so nice. The rooms are light and bright but with the curtains closed, you can sleep in too. My daughter and her friends said they felt like princesses at the GF.

I vote POLY! The rooms are being renovated this year-- make sure you get a new, fresh room.

We stayed there last month and LOVED it. Loved both table service meals, the pools, lagoon parade, movie night on the beach, dole whips, captain cooks, amazing access to MK, great resort parking (compared to GF).. loved everything about Poly.

We are huge MK lovers though.. I would say decide which park you love the most and let that be your guide.

good luck!

For a trip this August. Me, DH, DD 11 and DD 9. ... it will be hot...we plan to spend a little more time at the resort,...the bulk of the time spent at MK and Epcot.

...So...between Yacht/Beach, Poly and Wilderness...which should we choose?

..would we feel like we'd stayed there before, since we've stayed at the Royal Pacific in the last few years?. .Thanks!
Our girls love the PR and BC and we do too. When we were at the WL we wish we were staying at one of the monorail resorts, but we wanted to try WL.

We have also stayed at the Royal Pacific at Universal and do not feel it would impact a stay at the PR.

When we stayed at the BC it was also Summer and it provided a great escape from the long lines and crowds. In fact, the girls started to want to spend more time at SAB. Considering the excessive wait times and rude crowds we had no problem just taking it easy at the resort. It also allowed us to take advantage of the club lounge too.

You might want to look into the private cabannas at the water parks. Their costly, but its a nice treat that allow you to escape the crowds and any possible chair/guest issue that could arise during the hot Summer months. Their nicely located. Its also nice to have your assigned CM get things for you to include informing them what you want for lunch and the time you would like it delivered to your cabanna. They can get your drinks (beer etc) for you too. Endless water and towels. Small secure locker. Overall, a nice touch it you have a mixed group where some are water commandos and others would might want to just hang-out at the cabanna and read. See my Typhoon Lagoon picture link

I've never sayed at WL, but I have visited for dinner. It was beautiful. But, I really prefer the Epcot resorts. If you like to spend time at the pool, then you can't do better than YC/BC. They share the pool! but it's huge and lots of fun. You can walk to Epcot and even MGM if you want. Of course, you could take the boat too. Just an outstanding area with so much to do.

Start by making a list of the amenities you need at your resort to have a great trip. Do you need a full size balcony? Or will no balcony or just a standing room only balcony be OK? Do you want your resort to feel like a calm retreat or in the middle of the action? How big a part does the theme play in your decision?

If the balcony isn't a must have, then I think Poly is your best choice. You can walk to the TTC to catch the Epcot monorail and you have many different choices of transport to reach MK - so easy transportation to your two favorite parks. You also have easy monorail access to GF and CR for extra dining options. Balconies here are by request - and the odds are about 50-50.

If a balcony is a must have, and you like the feeling of being in the middle of things, then I think YC is your best choice. Access to SAB, the boat dock for Epcot and the Studios is right off the lobby (although you can easily walk to either park as well) and lots of dining and shopping at the nearby resorts. However, the Epcot resorts do get a lot of complaints regarding bus transportation - especially to MK.

If a balcony is a must have, and you prefer more of a retreat feeling to your resort, WL is the best choice. I love WL for long weekends where I don't even go to the parks (and I have an AP). Being in a fully enclosed building is not a bad thing during the hot rainy weather of August either. Transportation here is by bus, but I've never encountered any problems (and there is a boat, in addition to the bus to MK).

There really isn't a right or wrong choice - it's all about what works best for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter