Help! Tell me if this would be a mistake.

aec

Mouseketeer
Someone has offered to let us use a week of RCI timeshare exchange (red, 2 bedroom)for only the cost of the exchange fee (around $160 a week,I think) I've never dealt with timeshares before. We are considering orange Lake coutry club, vistana, or vistana village). We are adults and 2 kids ages 4 and 7, and are planning a 11/01 trip. I have some questions.

1) Does anyone have any feedback on these resorts?
2) Are we going to be hounded to buy a timeshare?
3) Do we have any control over what unit we get?
4) Is there maid service?
5) Is there any reason not to take this offer?
6) Are there any other RCI resorts that we should consider?
I'm all for saving money, but I want to have a great vacation.
Thanks for your help!!! :)

First of all ... welcome to DIS!

(1) Vistana is vert close to WDW and I've heard good things about it.

(2) If you are renting from your friend (not on an "owner's referral special"), then you do not have to talk to the salespeople. I suspect they will ask to talk to you, but you should be able to refuse.

(3) No, probably not. You will have control of the resort, but not the building.

(4) Usually not. You might get a "tidy" cleaning part way through, but you won't have daily maid service.

(5) No! I think it's a great offer from your friends :).

(6) Sorry, I don't know.

-- Robin

We have stayed at Orange Lake and the Vistana. We really enjoyed both of them. At Orange Lake, we had a large 2BR villa right on the golf course. The men played golf during the day and the kids looked for golf balls in the evenings. The pools were nice but were not walking distance from our villa. They ran shuttles but we did not use them.

The Vistana is somewhat closer to WDW. I think our unit was a little smaller but was very close to several pools and the grocery store. (There are pools throughout the complex as opposed to clustered in one area at Orange Lake). The children loved the zero depth squirting fountain pool and we went there almost every afternoon after the parks. There were some children's activities at both of the resorts but they were not that well attended the weeks we were there.

I believe that you will get several calls from the marketing folks at both resorts about taking a tour. (Usually you will just have a phone message.) Either ignore them or take the tour for the free park tickets or cash. JUST DON'T BUY!!!

Bottom line: If anyone in your party golfs then I'd go with Orange Lake. Otherwise go with Vistana for the convenience.

If you choose to try elsewhere, try to get a gold crown or resort if internat'l distinction. Also, lots of other RCI resorts have been mentioned here so just to a search of the ones that looked good in the guide. Hope this helps.

<font color =660066 size=4>Do a search on vistana.. I did a rather long post regarding Vistana just this week or last week. Hope it helps.</font>
fetch.dll

I think we ar going to go for it. I have been searching the boards for more info about the resorts mentioned above. I am leaning toward vistana village because it is the newest (built last fall). Since we are using an RCI exchange and have no control over which section/unit we get, I don't want to get stuck in an older unit at vistana. The disadvantages of vistana village seem to be that the resort amenities (pools, etc)aren't as nice and it is a little further away from WDW. Does anyone have any feedback about vistana villages, such as travel time to disney and the pools (we have two girls who will be 4 and 7 years old)? Is it close enough for a midday break? We are going off season so hopefully the traffic will not be bad.

<font color=red size 3>I would think you would have a very good chance of getting into the Cascades section of the Vistana Resorts, especially with you going during off-season. Your oldest would love the pool with the slide and the youngest would like the pool with the squisy pads that shoot water up on her. From what I dont know anything about the villages except that they are nice. When are you going (approximate month). You do get mid-week maid service.</font>
fetch.dll

[This message was edited by momuv2poohs on 03-06-01 at 05:59 AM.]

We are planning for one of the following weeks:
the week starting 11/3/01;
the week starting 11/10/01;
the week after Thanksgiving;
or the first week in December.
depending on availability of units.

I'm glad to hear that I should be able to get a good unit at Vistana as an RCI exchange. Vistana does sound great. As I menioned above, my only concern would be getting an older unit. Do most of the newer 2 br units have a Jacuzzi? Is there any difference in the crowds for the weeks I mentioned above. FYI, the 12th of Nov is a federal holiday.

Thanks for all the feedback!

<font color=FF0066 size=2>All of the 2 Bedrooms have a jacuzzi in them. The time that you are going should be a great time to go. Ask this question on
www.tug1.net/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Florida&number=11&DaysPr une=
It is a timeshare board especially for Florida (I DO NOT OWN, nor do I have anything to do with them, other than I have bugged them to death asking questions. Post exactly what you have asked here and I know they will let you know. There are alot of owners that post on that board. What day do you plan on getting there - not exact date, but like Friday, Sat. or Sunday? That will make a difference as to what unit/building you will be put into. </font>
fetch.dll

[This message was edited by momuv2poohs on 03-06-01 at 05:57 AM.]

Thanks for the info. I went over to the tug2 bulletin board as you suggested. It is a good source of info. I don't know whether we will arrive on Sat or Sun but probably Saturday (11/10). We are arranging through a friend so he is going to have to find out what is available for us. I gather that the day of arrival can make a difference with timeshare assignments. I guess we will have to see what he can get for us when he calls.

Thanks for the info. I went over to the tug2 bulletin board as you suggested. It is a good source of info. I don't know whether we will arrive on Sat or Sun but probably Saturday (11/10). We are arranging through a friend so he is going to have to find out what is available for us. I gather that the day of arrival can make a difference with timeshare assignments. I guess we will have to see what he can get for us when he calls. We are going to tell him to try for vistana or vistana villages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter