• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help! Questions about RV's

Irish Twins

Yahoo! Hoop Dee Doo!
Hi! We were planning to come to Fort Wilderness either in May or June. We were going to stay in a cabin but have no one to watch our two Basset Hounds. We really do not want to put them in a kennel since they have never been in one and are 8 and 11 years old. I really want to go on our trip so now I am thinking about renting an RV from Long Island and driving down. I know nothing about RV's. It would be four of us plus the two dogs. Can anyone tell me what size we should rent? About how much will this cost and any other tip you can think of.

Thank you so much!

I have seen a family of 4 plus 2 large dogs, 1 small dog and a cat come out of a 24 foot Class C.

Why not go to a RV Dealer and get an idea of what you might be traveling in just to get a feel.

I suggest that you start by checking out what is available to rent. Two large companies that I know of are Cruise America and El Monte RV. Google those names for the websites. The websites for both these companies will show you the types of rigs available, and also give you pricing information.

One big problem off the bat, is that I am fairly certain that both of these companies prohibit pets. Maybe there are some smaller outfits in your area that will rent you an RV. I know in my area of Florida that there are a lot of private parties who rent out their RV's.

Be prepared for sticker shock. You are not talking about a cheap trip.

I hope it works out for you.

TCD

Besides the whether or not you can rent something that allows pets:

Have you ever pulled an RV?
Do you have a vehicle that can pull an RV?
If its something that you think can, does it have a hitch of the proper class and the proper electrical hook ups?
(The size of RV depends a lot about the GVW and the hitch on on it.)

If you were thinking about driving a motor home from NY have you figured in fuel cost. I know its down but the big ones only get maybe 5 or 6 MPG. Also, are you going to tow a car behind you or just rely on Disney Transportation?

You can also rent an RV in Fl and they will tow it to FW and set it up for you.

One other point, you say that your dogs have never been in a kennel, well have they ever been on a 20 plus hour drive with you and stayed in a strange small box in the middle of a camp ground and you be gone for hours at a time.

It maybe better for the dogs to kennel them at someplace that you like and trust versus stressing them out on a long trip.

I also went to Cruise America just to see how much a Class C would cost to rent from JFK. With fuel i estimate the trip up an back would cost around $2,200.

WOW Didnt realize it would be so expensive. Maybe we should rent a camper? Maybe I can calling them the wrong names?

Why isnt anything easy???? I just want to go to Disney for the 4 or 3 deal!

WOW Didnt realize it would be so expensive. Maybe we should rent a camper? Maybe I can calling them the wrong names?

Why isnt anything easy???? I just want to go to Disney for the 4 or 3 deal!

The buy 4 get 3 free deal isn't available with campsites, cabins only at The Fort.

if you really want the 4 for 3 deal in the cabin, maybe drive down with the pups and put them in the fort kennel and visit them every day. i know you're trying to avoid the kennels, but the disney kennels are very nice and you can visit and walk them every day. this may be the best thing for them. you can still have them for the ride down and they can relax in the a/c in the kennel every day and will still get to see you every day too.
if you do decide to rent in FL, stick with well known commercial rental companies and inquire about pet deposits; maybe they will allow it with a deposit. i am surprised they don't allow it at all...whats the point of having an RV if you can't take your dogs, lol!

My dogs are the big reason for why i have a trailer they have never stayed in a kennel either and have made many disney trips they are 13 yr brittany (Rusty)and a 12 yr chocolate lab(Misty) they have been all up and down the east coast from Disney,Myrtle Beach,Pa,Nj,Boston,lake George and many more they have been in a rented class c from NJ to Disney twice then we bought a travel trailer which they stayed in then 3 years later we bought our current trailer they were just down there in early Oct 08 for 15 days they both sleep most of the trip and have never had a problem we have a 4 door truck and our brit sleeps curled up in a ball between my wife and me and the lab gets the back seat to her self she is spoiled good luck with your trip check the prices and see what works for you camp sites will be cheaper per day but then you need to add in the cost per day of a rental still may be cheaper with a rental but get out a scrap piece of paper and do some math also if you don't need to kennel with a rv rental that may save you some also

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter