Help me not overbuy!

cruisehopeful

DIS Veteran
Oh boy! Just got my 50 point Poly contract with intent to stay there every 2-3 years. Big dream is that I'll buy the DLH tower when that comes up for sale as that is my home park. I love VGC and used to own that, but I am not in a position to buy a contract there at this time and expect the cost to keep going up because it always does. I was thinking waiting for DLH would be better because I'd be buying it direct and those points can go to a lot more things, should I ever not be able to use them there. I anticipate wanting to use them for Disneyland 90 % of the time.

I've been looking for straggler nights at VGC since I got access to my account. I just booked a night in October. There are a couple other nights that I could book, but then I won't have my points for Poly next year. VGC is a million times easier and more convenient for me to visit because I can drive and only spend a night or two and I have a very flexible travel schedule for one and two nights. I'm getting overly excited at booking nights at VGC, but that will push out my first Poly stay really far and since I just bought Poly points to stay at Poly, I was looking forward to that. I can see why people talk about addonitis so much and I thought I positioned myself so that I wouldn't have to worry about that, but here I am.

I was hoping someone could help talk some sense in to me. I started thinking about picking up another contract just to use at VGC during the 7 month window (not at VGC). The main problem with that is that I don't need points for anywhere other than VGC/DL and while I am finding straggler nights, I have read that it isn't reliable to plan to book that way.

Other option is to try to buy a small VGC, but those are always marked "in escrow" whenever I see one and I would suppose that I'd have a different use year because they are too rare to be too picky about.

Third option is to keep waiting for DLH tower. This makes the most logical sense because I would be buying as soon as it comes for sale and it would be direct, which increases my options. Down side is that I prefer Grand Californian over Disneyland Hotel by a very large margin. My main concern about buying this is that I'll always be thinking, "I wish I was at VGC," whenever I stay there.

Oh boy! Just got my 50 point Poly contract with intent to stay there every 2-3 years. Big dream is that I'll buy the DLH tower when that comes up for sale as that is my home park. I love VGC and used to own that, but I am not in a position to buy a contract there at this time and expect the cost to keep going up because it always does. I was thinking waiting for DLH would be better because I'd be buying it direct and those points can go to a lot more things, should I ever not be able to use them there. I anticipate wanting to use them for Disneyland 90 % of the time.

I've been looking for straggler nights at VGC since I got access to my account. I just booked a night in October. There are a couple other nights that I could book, but then I won't have my points for Poly next year. VGC is a million times easier and more convenient for me to visit because I can drive and only spend a night or two and I have a very flexible travel schedule for one and two nights. I'm getting overly excited at booking nights at VGC, but that will push out my first Poly stay really far and since I just bought Poly points to stay at Poly, I was looking forward to that. I can see why people talk about addonitis so much and I thought I positioned myself so that I wouldn't have to worry about that, but here I am.

I was hoping someone could help talk some sense in to me. I started thinking about picking up another contract just to use at VGC during the 7 month window (not at VGC). The main problem with that is that I don't need points for anywhere other than VGC/DL and while I am finding straggler nights, I have read that it isn't reliable to plan to book that way.

Other option is to try to buy a small VGC, but those are always marked "in escrow" whenever I see one and I would suppose that I'd have a different use year because they are too rare to be too picky about.

Third option is to keep waiting for DLH tower. This makes the most logical sense because I would be buying as soon as it comes for sale and it would be direct, which increases my options. Down side is that I prefer Grand Californian over Disneyland Hotel by a very large margin. My main concern about buying this is that I'll always be thinking, "I wish I was at VGC," whenever I stay there.
Time to put on the brakes. Remind yourself that the Poly points are for Poly, not SAPs. Put them in a virtual lock box and leave them alone until you're ready to book your Poly vacation.

Then thinking about a VGC stay...you can rent from someone else or you can get a transfer of points to book your stay. Heck, as a DVC member you can even buy up to 24 one time use points through member services to book any resort inside the 7-month reservation window and then add a few Poly points if needed.

What I would not do, at this point in time, is buy VGC points when what you really want is the new DL DVC tower.

It is easy to over-buy timeshares when you get started, because they are so much darn fun. But, they only really make sense as a long-term commitment. Like some other things in life, a momentary rash decision can lead to decades of responsibility... ;)

Poly isn't hard to get at 7 months (off peak), but VGC absolutely is. SAP for the purpose of VGC is setting yourself up to fail.

There are plenty of hotels in Anaheim and in Orlando. If you can use your Poly points for that unicorn VGC booking do it! Poly will still be there next year and the year after. The point of the points is to use them. So do it!

With the way pricing is going right now, and that RIV chart (OUCH!), I think DL Tower is going to knock everyone's socks off in pricing and chart.

If you are always going to wish you were at VGC then I’d buy a resale contract there. And use that exclusively for DL and use your Poly for WDW stays so if they aren’t the same UY it wouldn’t matter. We own at VGC and love it and it’s the ideal location there so I can see stay at DL tower and wishing you were at VGC.

If you love VGC - Like I do :love: - then I would say buy there. I'm so happy my DH pushed me to get my 2 VGC contracts. You have to be on top of researching listings and when you find the perfect contract, don't squabble to much on the price. I just picked up a 50 point contract because I was willing to pay asking.

I’m sorta like you where I’m picking up random GCV rooms when I see availability but I’m using my SSR points which are supposed to be my SAP. I live about 15 min away from dland so in reality, I don’t need a hotel room. But because of covid changed I really want the benefits of free parking and easier access to the parks instead of having to walk from M&F parking structure. I don’t feel bad about using my SSR points but I think I would if I had to use my BLT points. Now once covid is over and things moved back to normal, I don’t think I will have the need or want to stay at GCV anymore, but I think you will. I think you should buy some GCV points if the opportunity present itself. I learned pretty quickly that you should buy where you want to stay. And it sounds like your heart says GCV. But go ahead and use your Poly points now cuz Poly will be there for a while.

Poly isn't hard to get at 7 months (off peak), but VGC absolutely is. SAP for the purpose of VGC is setting yourself up to fail.

There are plenty of hotels in Anaheim and in Orlando. If you can use your Poly points for that unicorn VGC booking do it! Poly will still be there next year and the year after. The point of the points is to use them. So do it!

With the way pricing is going right now, and that RIV chart (OUCH!), I think DL Tower is going to knock everyone's socks off in pricing and chart.
I agree. I think DVC RR point chart was the opening salvo before the DL DVC point chart comes out to take our breath away.

The finding/buying/negotiating for that perfect contract is so much fun!

Then the dues statements roll around, aaaand not so much fun :( Just think of the dues lol

I'd go for the VGC contract now, and forget about waiting for the DLH DVC resort.

The DLH DVC resort isn't even at the ground breaking stage yet. Remember, DVC had gotten as far as clearing the land and getting permits for the resort (with the incredibly stupid name I won't mention) between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness and then put a stop to it. Disney has previously announced major projects and then quietly abandoned them. Take a look at an early map of WDW to see all the resorts planned that never took place. There is no guarantee that the DLH DVC resort will ever be built.

I appreciate all the input. I was hoping that it would help me get to the bottom of what is really going to work for me the best, rather than get caught up in the "should do" and "most people do this". I think it is in my best interest to buy a small VGC contract. If I end up not getting one by the time the DLH tower goes on sale, that will be my backup plan. With so many thoughts and predictions about the future, it can be hard to navigate my own mind, but if I turn off all those thoughts and ideas, I want to book VGC and I want to use my Poly points to stay at Poly.

That’s amazing I have an 80 point at VGC contract that is very tempting to sell if it could get that price and save the money to buy more at the DL tower.
I actually think that it is possible. I tried to buy or get on a waitlist for buying direct and was told no that it wasn't possible to buy VGC points. If other people get that same response, I could see resale prices being higher than direct.

Rather surprised to see this on a broker site. Wonder what the actual purchase price was:

View attachment 575091
I actually put an offer in on that contract. I started at $265 and final offer was right at Disney direct pricing. Last counter from the buyer was $320\pt before I was told it went pending.

When you’re talking about 38 points a higher $ per point isn’t much - especially since it was a double point loaded contract. When considering rack rates the 76 points for a four night stay at VGC would have been worth paying the extra $1140 ($30 over avg VGC rates).

With all that being said anything in the $300s is insane. So I’m still searching for a small VGC contract to be able to book every two years.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter