help me decide between offsite or onsite...

jojomojo

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a trip for 7/28 - 8/4, for 6 people (2 adults, kids ages 14, 12, 8 & 5).

Everyone except the 12 yr old (niece) went 2 years ago (September) and we stayed at the PPH. My favorite day was the Magic Morning, loved getting in early, virtually no crowds.

Going during peak has me on edge. We're a homeschool family, but the niece is not. So, to accommodate her, we are going during the summer. These are really the only dates that work for us due to other summer activities (one of them being, a date AFTER the Carsland opening!).

So here's where I'm torn. I really REALLY want to stay onsite, mainly to take advantage of the MM (but also being immersed in disney). I've only been to DL once (as an adult) and it wasn't peak, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm thinking that the MM will be more valuable during peak than any other time. Am I right? If we stay onsite, we'll have to get two rooms (it'll be cheaper than a suite). When I compare that cost to an offsite suite, I have a really hard time justifying two onsite rooms.

So I guess what I'm looking for is someone to assure me I'm not missing out on the MMs by staying offsite during peak time. Or....maybe I'm looking for someone to tell me its absolutely worth it, I MUST stay onsite lol

A couple other things to note...
If we stay onsite we'll will probably have to cut our dates a couple of nights shorter. Staying offsite we can stay the dates listed above.
I want this trip to be magical - niece has had a rough time lately, would love to make this really special.
The 5 of us are going again in October (ent rates at HOJO, buying APs)

Should I just reserve two rooms at PPH and an offsite suite, and cancel one later? I'm hoping a good deal comes up for DLR.

We're trying to talk the in-laws into going, FIL's a school teacher and we refuse to go on vacation during the summer peak times (except this time). If they go, we could just put our 6th on their reservations and it would work out perfectly! (and in this case, having two PPH rooms reserved asap would certainly help!)

Well, typically if you buy the multi-day hoppers you usually get at least one MM, so you won't be missing out entirely if you stay off property. However, my understanding (based on what I was told by WDTC) is that this summer, DLR hotel guests and APs with reservations will have MMs at DCA and DL 7 days a week (alternating between the two parks). I don't know whether that means that there will be no MM tickets, or the MM tickets will only be good for DL and not DCA? It's not entirely clear yet.

if I were you, I'd reserve both (assuming you can cancel later without penalty) and see how things shape up when CL opens and the summer is in full swing. You will have more information about crowd levels, MMs, etc. then. Just make sure to make a hotel only reservation for DLR bc the packages have stricter cancellation policies. I assume there will be some sort of summer special coming out in the next month or so, and you can call and have them adjust the price on your reservation if it goes down.

If your in laws don't go, I would suggest staying off site. Personally, I prefer to have extra days in the park to staying on site. Our family stays as close as possible, at the Best Western Park Place Inn. When we go in June I will decorate our room with the party decorations from our daughter's Mickey birthday party. I would love to stay on site some day, but for right now, our kids want to spend every minute in DL.
We plan on taking our nephew with our oldest DS this fall. He has also had a rough year, his parents recently divorced and are dating new people. His dog also ran away. Poor kid!! He needs a vacation.

Something to consider that I mentioned in another thread on this topic...when we are on vacation at DL I can convince my three kids and husband to get up early for a magic morning. But given that the parks are open late, and we pretty much wear ourselves out each day, it would be very hard to get everyone up and out the door for more than one MM. I don't know what your kids are like, but tired teens can be hard to get out of bed early enough to get to a MM! If the parks open at 8, and MM is at 7, getting up at 6 is tough when you've been out late enjoying the parks.

By the way...more days at DL is enough to convince me! You can get more done in an extra day or two than you can at couple of MM!

Well, typically if you buy the multi-day hoppers you usually get at least one MM, so you won't be missing out entirely if you stay off property.

if I were you, I'd reserve both (assuming you can cancel later without penalty) and see how things shape up when CL opens and the summer is in full swing. You will have more information about crowd levels, MMs, etc.

Five of us will have APs. Only my niece will have a PH with MM.

I think thats what I'll do though....reserve both and make the hard decisions after I have more info ;)

I got an email from saving an offer on the disney site. Unfortunately, no PIN or anything, but it listed the current rates through 7/31. So, I'm hoping that means there will be an offer starting 8/1!

I think thats what I'll do though....reserve both and make the hard decisions after I have more info ;)

I could see that as a viable strategy.

Our configuration is pretty similar (three adults, three kids). When I priced out PPH with a senior discount which I believe is 30% on room only, but they only had premium view rooms at that price, for five nights, we needed two rooms, the total with six day park tickets ended up $1500+ more than staying at a reasonably comparable hotel off site.

For me, I can't justify $1500+ for four additional Magic Mornings. That amount of money would buy another round of six day park hopper tickets on a future visit, it's nearly the cost of our airfare, it's in the ball park of the cost of our off site hotel, you get the idea. It represents a significant chunk of money in terms of probably covering 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of all the expenses of a future off peak visit.

Conversely we stayed at GCH last year, had five people, one room, got a great sale, it was totally worth it... more expensive than off site but not insanely so, and that was without the DCA MM. I think overall we spent maybe $400-$500 additional on a four night visit, over what would have been spent for something nice off site.

Moral of the story, if you are looking multi room or for suites, the Disney hotels get really expensive, really quick!

I vote for offsite, too. You can have MM without staying onsite, you just won't get all of them. For niece, make a resservation at Disney 365 in DTD, it's kinda like Bibbity Boutique, but geared toward the tweens. She can be made into a rock star. It's cheaper than the Boutique, too, so you could also get new do's for the little ones. For the boys, they get a rock star look and light up drum sticks. Also, for a group your size, I'd recomend making a couple dinning reservations. Trying to claim a table at a counter service for large groups can be a nightmare during peak season (everyone likes to eat at the same time). With your crew, I'd do one character meal. In fact, you could make resservations at the Plaza with Minnie and Friends on a MM morning without using a MM pass. I'd also suggest Big Thunder BBQ, it's all you can eat bbq chicken and ribs with sides and drinks. Not very pricey and the food is pretty good. For all things requiring resservations that I've listed, you call 60 days out to the date you want to resserve. In most cases, you can wait 30 days out and still get all the spots you want.

Take a look at Disneyland's website, they'll have a list of all the places to eat on property (including DLR hotels) and the estimated price range/type of food. Allears.net will have a full menu of most of the places to eat on property. I'd also suggest an app that lists wait times for rides if you have a smartphone. Mousewait is very popular for this and usually accurate becuase people in the parks enter wait times constantly.

If your in laws don't go, I would suggest staying off site. Personally, I prefer to have extra days in the park to staying on site.

We plan on taking our nephew with our oldest DS this fall. He has also had a rough year, his parents recently divorced and are dating new people. His dog also ran away. Poor kid!! He needs a vacation.

Thats what I'm trying to figure out....would a couple of extra days in the park (even during peak) make up for missing out on all of the MMs that will be offered.

I hope your nephew has a great time! Sounds like he could use a little magic too :goodvibes

I vote for offsite, too. You can have MM without staying onsite, you just won't get all of them. For niece, make a resservation at Disney 365 in DTD, it's kinda like Bibbity Boutique, but geared toward the tweens. She can be made into a rock star. It's cheaper than the Boutique, too, so you could also get new do's for the little ones. For the boys, they get a rock star look and light up drum sticks.

Ooh, thanks for telling me about that. I didn't know. We didn't spend much time in DTD when we went. I'll have to look into that. My girls are always trying to give my son a mohawk as it is, he'd love it lol

Its a no go on the MM if we stay offsite though, five of us will have APs.

I definitely plan on making reservations.....and creating my daily itinerary around them (I already have my excel spreadsheets started....yep, I'm a nerd like that lol)

Ooh, thanks for telling me about that. I didn't know. We didn't spend much time in DTD when we went. I'll have to look into that. My girls are always trying to give my son a mohawk as it is, he'd love it lol

Its a no go on the MM if we stay offsite though, five of us will have APs.

I definitely plan on making reservations.....and creating my daily itinerary around them :D

Not true!!! I just got an email from Disney Destinations about early entry for AP holders!!! The catch is you only get one entry per park. So one early entry for DL and one early entery for DCA. But you have to pick which days you want to enter and make a resservation. Three and under go free, so no pass required. I'm not going to make the time frame (it goes to September) so I deleted the email. But I bet if you called the Disney AP help number, they'd point you in the right direction.

You can still make a ressie at the Plaza on a MM day, even if you don't have a MM pass.

I'd stay off site, having to get another room is going to be so expensive and more time in the park is better :)

Good luck! It is so nice for you to take your nephew, especially when it changes the whole dynamics of the trip and where you can or can't stay.

Have fun!!

Not true!!! I just got an email from Disney Destinations about early entry for AP holders!!! The catch is you only get one entry per park. So one early entry for DL and one early entery for DCA. But you have to pick which days you want to enter and make a resservation. Three and under go free, so no pass required. I'm not going to make the time frame (it goes to September) so I deleted the email. But I bet if you called the Disney AP help number, they'd point you in the right direction.

You can still make a ressie at the Plaza on a MM day, even if you don't have a MM pass.

That's awesome! I didn't know that. Our APs won't be activated until we go in August, I wonder how that will work. I'll give them a call today!

I'm leaning towards offsite now. With at least one MM and everyone assuring me a couple more days in the park is better than MMs all week, and of course, cheaper accommodations, it sounds like the way to go.

I think I'll still make both reservations though....just in case :)

One more tip, now that I know you're AP holders. A couple of off site hotels offer AP discounts. HoJo and Park Vue, both within walking distance to the parks. HoJo has an awesome pool and a kid's suite option (bunk beds). If you're lucky you can get the "retro" rate at HoJo's. We're staying the first week of June for the first time at HoJo's and got a double queen room for $69/night. The retro rate for the kids suite is $129 I think. If they don't have retro rates available, you'll still get a discount. You have to call Anahiem HoJo directly, though, not the 800 number. the number is 714-776-6120 ask for in house reservations.

Offsite is the way to go! It's way cheaper, the walks aren't bad at all and onsite prices are for suckers. Really, it's the hands down choice!

That said, I would never stay offsite.

1. Don't hold your breath for a good deal in July... They are not having problems selling out the rooms (In fact your dates may not even be available) whis Summer.

2. If you can afford it, book it. If there is any concern about money stay off site. Nothing ruins a trip more than stressing about $$$!

3. An offsite stay will still be magical. In the end they won't remember Harbor Blvd, but they will remember Main St. ;)

A few more options:
A) How would you feel about a split stay? Perhaps Hojo for 3-4 nights, then PPH for 3 nights?

B) If you don't want to spend the $$ on on-site, what about just buying an AP for your niece? Given the recent announcement of having MMs for AP holders (and with one AP activated you can reserve a morning for your entire party, then just buy it for her/activate it when you get there for hers), this might be a viable option for at least 2 days for your party.

With the MMs being offered at DCA for hotel guests and AP MMs at both parks (though limited) those MMs are more valuable than the MM that comes with a hopper that is only good at DL.

Btw, due to the FIL situation I'd definitely reserve both for now while you think about it ...

A few more options:
A) How would you feel about a split stay? Perhaps Hojo for 3-4 nights, then PPH for 3 nights?

B) If you don't want to spend the $$ on on-site, what about just buying an AP for your niece? Given the recent announcement of having MMs for AP holders (and with one AP activated you can reserve a morning for your entire party, then just buy it for her/activate it when you get there for hers), this might be a viable option for at least 2 days for your party.With the MMs being offered at DCA for hotel guests and AP MMs at both parks (though limited) those MMs are more valuable than the MM that comes with a hopper that is only good at DL.

Btw, due to the FIL situation I'd definitely reserve both for now while you think about it ...

Not true, everyone must have an AP that is doing the AP early entery. Says so in the FAQ of the email I got. One AP person can reseve for the entire party, but once at the gates everyone will need an AP to do the early entery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter