Help in Vancouver

tanya0369

Earning My Ears
I am having a hard time selecting a hotel for Alaska cruise. It would be nice to find something fairly close to port that wasn't crazy expensive. We are a large party and not really wanting to rent a shuttle. Any suggestions or helpful tips... Thanks

You will pay to stay in the closest hotels (walking distance). I would still suggest checking the rates at the Pan Pacific, Marriott Vancouver and the Pinnacle Hotel.

The Holiday Inn Vancouver is really nice! But it would definitely require a cab/Uber.

Your dates will play a big role in price, but I suggest keeping an eye on the prices because they do fluctuate. When I first started pricing hotels, it was $700/night at the Pan Pacific (for example.) As time progressed, I was able to book the Pan for about the price of a WDW moderate hotel...under $300. Some 3rd party sites will offer price adjustments if the price drops as well, so look into that.

Do you have a more specific distance? I'm not sure what you consider "fairly close." We stayed at Blue Horizon and it was clean and comfortable. There are a lot of restaurants and some shops in the area (the London Drugs at the end of the block was particularly convenient) and it was about a 10 minute cab ride to Canada Place. We did walk one time, but took cabs the other times and they were only $8 CAD.

I am having a hard time selecting a hotel for Alaska cruise. It would be nice to find something fairly close to port that wasn't crazy expensive. We are a large party and not really wanting to rent a shuttle. Any suggestions or helpful tips... Thanks
As you are finding, Vancouver is expensive! I suggest checking out the following: Howard Johnson, Ramada Inn Downtown, Comfort Inn Downtown, and Best Western Plus. All are located on Granville Street in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Not quite walking distance with luggage to the Port, but just a short cab ride away and I'm sure much less expensive than the outrageous prices charged by the Pan Pacific. Vancouver is a lovely city with a fantastic vibe, and deserves to be explored b/4 and/or after the cruise.

MUN

We stayed at the Pinnacle in 2016 before our Alaska cruise, and walked everywhere - from the sky train to the hotel, all around the area and to Stanley Park and the Aquarium, and over to Canada Place to catch our ship. It was convenient, and significantly less than the Pan Pacific. We were pleased with the hotel, and there was a grocery and a drug store within a block for last minute things.

We are staying at the Sandman Vancouver City Centre. We booked a bit ago for June and it was $260/night CAD. I think its less than a mile from the Port.

• The Blue Horizon is a popular value cruise hotel.
  • YWCA is popular if you want additional savings and needs to be booked early as it's often sold out.

Honestly, I think people tend to consider the transportation issue way too much when it comes to Vancouver. Cabs are everywhere and extremely reasonable. I would never pay the premium to stay at the Pan Pacific just because you can walk to the ship. We stayed a few blocks away and paid like 6 bucks plus tip for a cab to port. Vancouver is expensive. The closer you are to water the more expensive it is. Cabs are cheap. Do the math.

I recommend Hampton inn which was only 300 for 1 night, but when researching Vancouver there's not many places that are cheaper than 300. It's an expensive city. Seatle is only 3 hours away so there is an option to stay there and drive or take the train to Vancouver.

when researching Vancouver there's not many places that are cheaper than 300. It's an expensive city. Seatle is only 3 hours away so there is an option to stay there and drive or take the train to Vancouver.
Downtown Seattle hotels are not cheap either.

There's some savings with Vancouver Airport hotels. Ok, if you are arriving late the night before with no time for sightseeing. it also depends on which dates. If you arrive during a long weekend or a major festival, the hotel prices do peak.

Almost all hotels in downtown Vancouver are walkable for mobile people. Fwiw. I agree with the previous poster who said that people think about this too much. Cabs are good and the sidewalks are excellent as well.

The Holiday Inn Vancouver is really nice! But it would definitely require a cab/Uber.

The HI on Howe is a 20 minute walk to Canada place. That’s it. In a pinch, just roll your bags there. :)

We are staying at the Auberge in Vancouver and the downtown Holiday Inn in Seattle. Yes both are expensive but it is summer in major port cities. We are not renting a car in either city, only to drive between the two.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency for $280 (USD) inclusive of all taxes and fees but I'm sure had I looked earlier I could have got a better deal. LOVED it there! We walked to the port in about 10 minutes. You can take a cab too if you have anyone with mobility issues. It's attached to a little shopping center with a few quick eats there. I would stay there again.

We have stayed at the Ramada Limited and the Pinnacle Peak hotels. Both are totally walk-able to port. The Ramada was a bit farther and cheaper. The walk to port was very easy though because it was all downhill.

I just did Priceline for our July pre-cruise night that I need. I chose a 4.5 star hotel in coal harbour area for 235 USD pre-tax, and I got Hyatt. I'm happy with it!

We stayed at the Best Western about 1 mile from the port. Cost was very reasonable, hotel was decent, and they have a free shuttle to the port. Plus, there is a White Spot restaurant adjoined to the hotel.

Flying in the day beforehand i presume...

Stay at an airport area hotel (w/ free shuttle between airport and hotel) then either take a cab(s) or the sky train into downtown the morning of the cruise. We've done this a couple of times and it's pretty easy. Only about 2 block walk from Waterfront Station.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter