HELP! I need creative recipes for 2 potluck picnics next week.

mom2boys

<font color=blue>Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 swit
We have two picnics on Saturday. I want to take a dish to each. The first is some very nice people fomr our boys' baseball team last year. Our kids will be going to school & playing sports together for the next 10 years or so. They are going to the expense of having hard shell crabs, so I want to take something special. We will probalby only stay for an hour before moving on to my brother's.
My borhter's picnic an unofficial family reunion. Some people will travel 2-3 hours for this. Many will be my father's cousins. (My dad died 20 years ago.) Sadly, we usually only see these people at weddings & funerals. So again I would like something special.

What do you like to take to such events?

I often notice that whenever someone brings a nice green salad, it gets eaten up quickly. This is a recipe for a green salad with strawberries that is very tasty.

GREENS: 1 bunch spinach
1 head red leaf lettuce
1 head green leaf lettuce
1 pint strawberries, halved

DRESSING: 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp. minced onion
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1/4 tsp. Worstershire sauce
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Put in a jar and shake dressing until blended.

mom2grace - any of those categories would be fine. I am really hoping for something tasty yet not the "same old, same old".

Buckeye, that salad sounds tasty. I think I'll try it out on the family tonight.

I brought this bean recipe to a potluck last weekend and it was a big hit. It's very easy to make, that's a bonus.

1/2 pound bacon fried and crumbled
1/2 pound hamburger fried
28 oz. can pork and beans
15 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz. can butter beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tbl. vinegar
1 tsp. dry mustard

Mix together and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

You can use any kind of beans you want, change the meat (my SIL puts ham instead of bacon), mix it and store it until you want to cook it. I hear that it will also freeze but I haven't tried that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter