Help! I had the worst CC ever and they have my money.

Birdie dog

DIS Veteran
I applied for and received the AA advantage Barclays Card a couple years ago after it was pitched on a flight. I only used it a few times before I realised that the customer service is horrible and cancelled it.
Recently, I cancelled a DCL cruise that has been rebooked multiple times due to covid. I had forgotten that I payed my final payment on that card and now "no one can find my money". I've called regularly and am told there's no money waiting for return. I've been given two completely different answers regarding being refunded..
1- the account is closed and the money will sit here until you ask for it, we won't automatically send it to you
2- we won't accept the return of money to a closed credit card.
I've asked to speak to supervisors.. no one calls back. I've written a complaint to consumer protection (which prompted an email that said someone from the "presidents office" would be calling me back and hasn't and "if you have any questions call the provided phone number" and there isn't one. I'm truly worried that they will simply try to keep my money at this point. Is there anything else I can do? We're talking thousands of dollars here and I'm completely powerless at this point.

I applied for and received the AA advantage Barclays Card a couple years ago after it was pitched on a flight. I only used it a few times before I realised that the customer service is horrible and cancelled it.
Recently, I cancelled a DCL cruise that has been rebooked multiple times due to covid. I had forgotten that I payed my final payment on that card and now "no one can find my money". I've called regularly and am told there's no money waiting for return. I've been given two completely different answers regarding being refunded..
1- the account is closed and the money will sit here until you ask for it, we won't automatically send it to you
I've asked to speak to supervisors.. no one calls back. I've written a complaint to consumer protection (which prompted an email that said someone from the "presidents office" would be calling me back and hasn't and "if you have any questions call the provided phone number" and there isn't one. I'm truly worried that they will simply try to keep my money at this point. Is there anything else I can do? We're talking thousands of dollars here and I'm completely powerless at this point.

Call DCL and let them know the card you used to make payment has been closed? How recently is "recently"?

When did you cancel the cruise? Refunds can take some time to make it back to your credit card. Has it been at least a few weeks?

This looks like good info:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/refund-after-card-canceled/
You might start by asking Disney for the Acquirer Reference Number, then taking that to Barclays.

You are going to have to be more aggressive with the credit card company. Keep calling and demand someone who has the authority to resolve this matter and do not stop until you get it.

However, as mentioned, give it at least 8 weeks because unfortunately, that is how long a refund can take to be processed to a credit card.

So similar but not - my AP's that were valid during the 2020 shutdown were refunded back to a credit card account I had closed since the purchase.

The credit card company did have the funds and it was a struggle but Disney should be able to give you the reference number and Barclays should be able to locate the payment. I had to escalate the issue at Disney to get the number and make several calls to the credit card company but in Nov 2020 I finally got a check from the credit card company. The refund was issued in July 2020 if that gives you a time of reference.

I have had money returned to closed Chase cards several times with no trouble. Chase gives the choice of an electronic transfer or after 30 days they send a check.
Keep after them. All legit money is traceable. One time my lost money was in the bank’s lockbox. It took a while and some badgering to find it.

Submit an inquiry to CFPB. But only do this after you have found out how long the refund will take and that you have waited that period of time. CFPB will send an inquiry to Barclays and they will respond to avoid a possible additional review from a federal regulator of their practices.

I had a recent return to a closed Barclays account a few months ago. I think they will come through for you.

I have requested the confirmation numbers from the refunds and am awaiting that info from Disney. Meanwhile, the money refunded to my Disney Visa is already there...

Write the letter - an actual letter that goes in the actual mail. Ask for all monies owed to you on the account. Add specifics like your demographic info and the account number.
You wrote that “the money will sit here until you ask for it, we won't automatically send it to you”, so ask for it. Make a copy in case you need a copy in court.

Can you still log into your old Barclays account? I had a credit go to a card that I closed (different issuer) and after it sat there for a couple billing cycles, I called and they immediately sent it to my bank account. They already had my bank info because I did automatic payments.

Write the letter - an actual letter that goes in the actual mail. Ask for all monies owed to you on the account. Add specifics like your demographic info and the account number.
You wrote that “the money will sit here until you ask for it, we won't automatically send it to you”, so ask for it. Make a copy in case you need a copy in court.

And send it certified so they have to sign for it and you get the postcard or however they do it now.

Can you re-open the Barclay account, without reapplying, for the purpose of obtaining the refund? Generally, it can take two billing cycles for the refund to appear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter