Help!!First trip w/out stroller

When we took our then 4 DD and 2 DS. We didn't rent a stroller for 2 days, (on a 4 day trip). BUT THEN, the 3rd day we rented one!! OH MY, life was so much easier in the parks WITH a stroller. They didn't tire as much. We went last year to WDW with my DD (5) and DS (3) and we used one every day!! WE LOVED IT!!

It could be a matter of preference, but I think it's worth every penny!:)

Last year we went when my daughter was four---she hadn't used a stroller for a long time anyway and she was fine. I did end up carrying her when it was crowded (we live in a very small town so she got a little scared of getting trampled by all the people:laughing: ) and at the end of the day. At the end of the day, I was so tired I could have used a stroller, but that's a whole 'nother story. That said, we aren't commando type vacationers---we just mosey around and do what we want, so we don't get as tired as others probably do.

This year I'm taking my now five year old and our 2 year old and I'm not planning on renting a stroller either---though I may change my mind if she needs one. We have the Disney Visa, so it's free!:flower3: But she isn't one to sit willingly in a stroller either.

I joked with DH that I could have easily fit in it :rotfl2:

I've seen a grown man fit very comfortably in one. I took a picture too, I was so amused. He was waiting for the parade and I guess he took advantage of sitting in it.. Lol, it was funny.. :rotfl: :laughing:

I "cut off" my DS from the stroller on his 4th birthday. At that point I had 8 years of stroller use (and 3 years of a double stroller!) and I was tired of it!! He did great. We learned to walk a little slower... stop and sit and visit more... and the kids learned to take a small backpack for their autograph book, juice boxes, snack, etc. Then I just had either a fanny pack or backpack for me. If we were going when there might be bigger weather changes I'd get a locker, but otherwise they learned to tote a sweatshirt or light jacket around their waists. Now we are APers, so we were going quite often. By that point my son was able to skip a nap on DL days. If he were still a daily napper I would have continued to use a stroller.

Getting on and off the tram quickly was a DREAM after all those years!:woohoo:

kkheburn, I feel your pain! This will be our first trip without a stroller and I am so dreading to see how it goes! My DD will be 8 this year so I figure it is about time but I am sure going to miss my cup holder and storage. We have let her go this long because she is not used to walking so much everyday... an average of 8 miles a day and we go for 10 days. Some days I barely make it! I have also always found it very comforting when it is extra crowded to know that she is right in front of me in a stroller with no possiblity of getting seperated from me. So there have been several different reasons we have continued for so long.

I may be waiting in that stroller line as well, picking up my free stroller rental if she ends up whining so much all of the rest of us are miserable! I will be praying that she surprises me.

Our Disney stroller is the Maclaren Volo ~ I love it, folds up small (I hate seeing those big Graco strollers on the ART), maneuvers easily 1 handed, holds up to 55lbs, light, easy to carry (incl. a carry strap), basket, nice tall handles. DD will use it at Disneyland for as long as possible. When we went in March of 2006 I used a dog leash for my DS ~ just a little one, the loop end (that the human would hold while walking the dog) I pulled through a belt loop on my jeans and the clip end was clipped to my DS's belt loop, it worked well (and he didn't have a monkey on his back :goodvibes )

I tried using a leash - designed for kids!, once when travelling but I found that she would wander several feet away from me causing a hazard to other trying to walk around us... I find that it is really easy to just have her hold my pocket, especially if I'm somewhere crowded, or if I have a lot in my hands and we're crossing the street/parking lot. Then she is extra close and I can feel whether she's holding on or not so no worries!

My wife, DS6, and DD4 are going in nine days.

Our plan is to bring one umbrella stroller and to lock in up (I went to Target and bought a 4 foot cable with built in combination padlock for $8) in whatever 'land' we start out at in the morning (preferably nearest to Main Street). When we head back to the hotel near lunchtime, and again at the end of the (long) day, we'll go grab the stroller and let the more tired child ride the stroller back to Hojos.

Other than that we probably won't drive the stroller around much, if at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter