Heart condition?

funkychunkymonkey

DIS Veteran
OK, Ive got a new problem for our trip. My boyfreind (hopefully by trip-time fieance) has a heart conditon, also rides that spin make him upchuck.... So what rides shouldnt we do? You guys are great!

Well pretty much any ride the moves faster than SSE or HM have heart condition warnings. It really depends on what issues he has with his heart, for instance is a rapid pulse an issue? Increased blood pressure? There's too many factors with that to say "yes" and "no" straight away. As for spinning stuff, do you mean spin like the teacups or rotate at all? That would be the difference between something like well..the teacups (lol) and Dumbo.

There are many, many types of "heart conditions." A lot depends on what his needs are. A doctor would be able to tell you if it is rapid acceleration, high g-force, etc. to avoid. As people point out here all the time, you can't tell by a diagnosis what a person's needs are as 20 people with the same diagnosis will have 20 different needs!

Check into the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is near the top of this board or yu can follow the link in my signature.
Post 3 has a lot information, including a link I found about estimated G forces on rides. Page 2 of that thread has a post listing attractions with warnings, plus my guess about why the warning is there.

WDW gives kind of 'generic' warnings and it is up to the person, with their doctor, to decide whether the warning for that attraction applies to them. So, knowing a bit about the different attractions, he can discuss with his doctor and decide which to avoid. Some people just choose to avoid any attraction that has a warning.

As was already mentioned, the attractions with warnings are well marked on park maps and on signs as you enter the queue. They also have at least one warning before boarding.
If you want to go on those attractions and he wants to be in line with you, all the attractions with warnings have a way out before boarding. Just let a CM know he will not be riding and they will direct him out.

There are only a few rides that actually spin, but he may want to also be aware of those with warnings that are likely to cause motion sickness. Spinning rides include:

Dumbo at MK
Teacups at MK
Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride at MK
Royal Carroussel at MK

Triceraptop Spin at AK
Primeval Whirl at AK - roller coaster combined with spinning.

Mission Space more intense side at Epcot is on a centrifuge, so the whole ride car is spinning. Both the more intense and the green (less intense) side have warnings.

Toy Story Mania at the Studio does not have a warning, but makes a single quick, jerky spin between the different games. Some people have problems with that, others don't.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at MK has spin in the name, but other than 2 slow speed turns, it does not spin. It is CAPABLE of spinning, but whether or not the ride car spins is in control of the riders. You could make it never spin or spin during the whole ride. The spinning is controlled with a joystick.

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin at MK has spin in the name, but other than 2 slow speed turns, it does not spin. It is CAPABLE of spinning, but whether or not the ride car spins is in control of the riders. You could make it never spin or spin during the whole ride. The spinning is controlled with a joystick.

Actually, just wanted to add that at some moments the cart does spin in a programmed fashion when going from one scene to another. Not at all, just with a few but if he happens to be very sensitive that might be a nasty surprise when not expecting it.

As far as the warnings goes; totally agree with the posters above. If any questions; feel free to discuss at both Guest Services or the CM working the ride how a ride functions. But; you'll need to be very clear about which info you are looking for. If not, it's easy to miscommunicate. A word like jerky to me results in HM being too nasty for me, however no CM would ever call it jerky. However when I'ld phrase it like "any unexpected move tilted backwards, no matter how little", they would've gone :idea: and inform me about that one little part of HM that about wrecks me for weeks.

If any questions; discuss it prior to the trip with his doctor to make sure you know what is and isn't things he should jump into. Again, the more specific or clear he can communicate this to you, the easier for you guys to translate that to the different rides. So if he becomes unclear at any part or too much medical talk; speak up politely but clear about what info you need.

Personal experience? I don't do stuff like rollercoasters as it's too damaging to other health stuff I'm dealing with. Don't do any spinning stuff either, Buzz is how "exiting" spinning gets for me. TSM is the one big exception. The jerks Sue mentioned are hell on my body, but I have a dependency problem with TSM the ride and the game. :rolleyes1 As far as cardio stuff goes? Amongst others I've got arrythmyas (spelling?). Also I need to watch for sudden BP drops (so rides that raise it are :thumbsup2 ), black outs, shouldn't seek up to straining situations etc. Within the rides I can do otherwise there are none I've even once had a cardio incident, but have found many many to have the warnings. It really depends loads on his specific medical situation and Disney being very thourough in their warnings.

Oh and what is that ride in Epcot called that simulates a space flight? Forgot the name. That is the one ride my cardiologist told me no.

With any heart condition - avoid anything that has the word "mountain" in it. They're all fast - usually coaster rides.

Obviously, tea cups spin. I don't know about Buzz Lightyear or Toy Story Mania because they both spin somewhat.

I avoid spinning rides due to epilepsy. I do ride Buzz, the Teacups, & Toy Story. The spinning is not that much of an issue due to lower speeds of the rides themselves.

CMs outside each ride will help explain things to you. If you're still uncertain - you can ride it first, and you make the decision. My family has done this for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter