Heard of another shut down happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
The governor here in Florida already said he will never shut down again it does just as much harm as the virus itself and nothing Biden says or does can make him.. it’s a state thing the federal government can’t force the state on what to do ...

Emergency essential services only. Police, fire, hospitals and similar. No Walmart. No Home Depot. No Auto Zone. With fines and possible jail time if you violate.
The problem is many of these places sell goods that are essential. Our sump pump went out early in the pandemic and if Home Depot was closed, we would have had a flooded basement.

I’m all for a national response to this mess. A National mask mandate would be a good start. If there is going to be a national lockdown, it has to be a strict one. Emergency essential services only. Police, fire, hospitals and similar. No Walmart. No Home Depot. No Auto Zone. With fines and possible jail time if you violate. Of course there would be a need for financial support through this similar to what the cares act provided. However, no one gets a windfall this time. The financial support is limited to your average weekly pay, up to say $1,200 a week.
Why would you limit the amount to that weekly payment. My guess is that you make that or lower. What about those that make more? They also have obligations to pay.

Biden isn't president yet. A lot can happen between now and Inauguration Day. Let's see how things are going with the virus in January and then we can panic.

Leave it up to the States... where it belongs. No need to shut down Montana if the problem numbers are in New York.
Interesting choice of states, Montana has been a covid disaster area.

The governor here in Florida already said he will never shut down again it does just as much harm as the virus itself and nothing Biden says or does can make him.. it’s a state thing the federal government can’t force the state on what to do ...
It is weird that where my sibling live in Georgia, they can go to the movies or a bowling alley, and their Covid numbers aren't as bad as places that have strict lockdowns.

I read that places in California will no longer allow outdoor dining or playgrounds. But indoor gyms are staying open.

None of it makes sense.

@MommyinHonduras posted a very thought provoking piece over in another thread.

If I may repost it here:

https://very-opinionated.com/works/lockdown-the-right-side-of-history/
The one thing that stood out is where the narrator says about the people in charge of the shutdowns: "No votes are needed, because their judgment is so good."

And, of course, we have seen quite a few of these people that make shut down/closure rules for others go about their regular lives. Sneaking out for indoor meals, haircuts, no masks, etc. Their judgement is good enough to tell you how to live your daily life. But not good enough for them to follow their own rules.

Well look at California. A strict state on shutdowns and their covid is high. Of course they have a lot of people but it’s still high going by population. In Orange County California . Waxes could be done outside lol. Come on ladies don’t be shy come get your Brazilian wax outside.
Yes, on paper we here in California were strict. In reality, way too many people said it violated their freedoms and ignored it. Even our Governor. And most local governments refuse to enforce restrictions. The virus doesn't recognize state borders. I think we need a national policy, and enforce it.

You said only police, hospitals, etc., should be open. What do you mean by that?
I mean if we are going to shutdown we need to truly shutdown. If we aren't going to do that there is no point in it. If we allow the same "essential" businesses as we did before we might as well NOT do anything at all. Home Depot is not any safer than Kohl's. I am saying we either SHUT DOWN or we don't.

Why would you limit the amount to that weekly payment.
It needs to be capped it at something.

He said it during his campaign in his commercials. (sorry, went a bit political. not an opinion just stating a fact).

No he didn’t. As others have said, his opponents misconstrued what he said.

As somebody already pointed out this was taken out of context. It was also back in Aug. He has said since then he wouldn’t do it.

I read that places in California will no longer allow outdoor dining or playgrounds. But indoor gyms are staying open.

None of it makes sense.
That’s not entirely true. It depends on what tier a county is in. In purple, which most of the state is now, gyms (including dance, Pilates and yoga studios) are closed indoors. There are rare exceptions for 1-1 training. My county has been in purple the entire time and my kids’ dance studio is filming their Nutcracker outdoors. Trust me, they’d love to be able to use inside.

I mean if we are going to shutdown we need to truly shutdown. If we aren't going to do that there is no point in it. If we allow the same "essential" businesses as we did before we might as well NOT do anything at all. Home Depot is not any safer than Kohl's. I am saying we either SHUT DOWN or we don't.

Well, okay.

Home Depot is essential to those who have construction jobs (ever see the parking lot on normal mornings? Lumbar pick up). Home Depot is essential to those who will be doing emergency repairs at people's homes, or will those emergencies not happen during a shut down? You and I have a different idea of what is considered essential I suppose.

You aren't being realistic, so your call for a complete shutdown is ridiculous. Bars, restaurants, movie theatres are one thing - Home Depot, Walmart (yes people buy groceries there) and the like are another.

Enforce masks, capacity limits and social distancing at those stores, just like they did here the first shutdown in March. It worked then, would work now.

You and I have a different idea of what is considered essential I suppose.

It worked then, would work now.
I think you missed the part of my original post that said IF there is going to be a national lockdown, it has to be a strict one. There is no point in it otherwise.

Did it work then?

After reading this thread, I am so glad to live in a state with a governor who understands there needs to be a balance between the virus and saving the economy. He was the first to reopen in May and we are still open. We can go anywhere and do most everything - just with masks and social distanced.

Our state will not shutdown again, thank goodness.

I think you missed the part of my original post that said IF there is going to be a national lockdown, it has to be a strict one. There is no point in it otherwise.

Did it work then?

I don't know what you are asking as you only quoted two sentences from my post.

I didn't miss anything from your original post. That is exactly what all posts to you were addressing.

And yes, the stay at home order in Illinois worked at slowing the spread. And Home Depot was open. 🙂

I don't know what you are asking as you only quoted two sentences from my post.
I quoted the important parts of your post. What don't you understand?

I see you edited you posted after my reply. I am not advocating to do this. I am advocating IF we were to shutdown we need to truly shutdown. I think for the most part we are in agreement. Walmart isn't safer than the small independent clothing store on main street. If Walmart can be open, then the small independent clothing store should be too. If the small independent clothing store has to be closed then Walmart should as well.

Last edited:

Why not at minimum wage?

Yes to the task force mentioning it as a possibility. I think more in regards to a national strategy where if a set number of criteria are met, then certain levels of shut down occur, which, IMO, is how things should have been done all along once we knew what was going on. No, the federal government can't make states do it, but the federal government has many sticks and carrots they can use to make states decide it's in their best interest. Consider the speed limit or drinking age.

I do think a "circuit breaker" response based on medical systems' capacity would be the most reasonable approach to lockdown measures, but it would still have to be local - overloaded hospitals in Iowa shouldn't decide what is open in Florida. The federal role would be more along the lines of setting uniform criteria and potentially imposing air travel restrictions (via TSA) to/from areas experiencing a surge. But as far as getting it done... The "carrot" approach can't be unilaterally imposed by a president. It takes the support of Congress, and that strikes me as very unlikely. So I think the response will remain centered at the state level, with (hopefully) better advice and logistical support from the feds under a new administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter