Heads Up for DVC Rent/Trade Board Users - an open discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 40? I'm a bit surprised, I would have said it were many more.
As one of those 40, I would like to thank the moderators for providing this service that helped me greatly in the past.
I usually post one or two threads max for rental and not even every year. But with the pandemic I had to use all 6, not for me, but because I have re-rented points for people who got a reservation from me and couldn't travel anymore. I didn't profit from those extra threads, just helped people to recover most of what they spent on reservations they couldn't use anymore.
So I would suggest to wait to apply the new rules until the situation is back to normal, in order to allow a bit more flexibility in those troubled times.
Surprised also , i am one of the 40 , and the moderators have been patient with me for my first thread.Thank you . Renting was easy on this board, and free of all the nasty comments found on Facebook renting posts .

A question about renting an existing reservation.
In the last few years I've discovered I like split stays the most, so it's like multiple vacations in one and I can book different resorts that are near different parks.
I hope it'll never happen, but if I need to cancel my trip, would I be able to rent something like: "one split stay, starting at BLT for 4 nights, then BWV for 4 nights and AKV for 4 nights" or would they be considered 3 reservations to rent?

This is exactly the situation I am currently in! I have a split stay using 3 resorts later this year, but being in the UK I have no idea if I will be able to go or not. If we cannot travel I would much rather rent them as they are, as it is a high demand time with high demand rooms! It would be very foolish to cancel them given how tight availability is at the moment. I might not be able to book anything else. Despite being a regular poster my only option would be to pay $249. I would rather another member of these boards got my bookings but it's likely I would just have to risk renting them on Facebook.

If I do end up having to rent these stays they wouldn't even be my first this year. I was struggling to rent some points earlier this year that I feared would expire so I made a reservation and put it up with David's just to make sure I got something. I'm definitely not a habitual renter, and would much rather I'd been able to use my points myself over the last year, but I can see how it is easy to end up with numerous existing reservations for rent.

I fully understand why the rules were put in place to start with, but I think that people often look for who to blame if they can't get a booking at the time they want. Surely it's no worse to lose out to an existing reservation at a premium time than a 'new' points renter requesting a booking at that same premium time?

I wanted to add a couple more points but thought I'd start a new post rather than adding to the last essay. :)

I'm not against monetising rental threads, just the restrictions on existing reservations. I think if someone has one to rent they will do it anyway, they will just do it somewhere else (particularly given how popular it has become on social media).

The charges make more sense if it was for any rental. I would happily pay the silver or gold amount for 3 or 6 rentals, but I wouldn't pay the platinum amount when I'm only using it for 3 existing rentals. This would then benefit the site, as at least they would be getting something from me, and it would benefit your members as they could see these reservations here rather than having to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
This is exactly the situation I am currently in! I have a split stay using 3 resorts later this year, but being in the UK I have no idea if I will be able to go or not. If we cannot travel I would much rather rent them as they are, as it is a high demand time with high demand rooms! It would be very foolish to cancel them given how tight availability is at the moment. I might not be able to book anything else. Despite being a regular poster my only option would be to pay $249. I would rather another member of these boards got my bookings but it's likely I would just have to risk renting them on Facebook.

If I do end up having to rent these stays they wouldn't even be my first this year. I was struggling to rent some points earlier this year that I feared would expire so I made a reservation and put it up with David's just to make sure I got something. I'm definitely not a habitual renter, and would much rather I'd been able to use my points myself over the last year, but I can see how it is easy to end up with numerous existing reservations for rent.

I fully understand why the rules were put in place to start with, but I think that people often look for who to blame if they can't get a booking at the time they want. Surely it's no worse to lose out to an existing reservation at a premium time than a 'new' points renter requesting a booking at that same premium time?
small price to pay for not losing your points with no comp. Also small price when you compare the risk you could have with other places you could rent on

small price to pay for not losing your points with no comp. Also small price when you compare the risk you could have with other places you could rent on

I'm not sure what you're saying really. As I mentioned, I think $30 -$50 is a small price to pay to rent on these boards where I am a regular. I'm not sure how you think $250 is a small price to pay?

If there is a chance I could lose my points I can use David's at no risk! I didn't price high enough last time but covered my dues plus more than 50% in less than an hour with no effort.

I'm not sure how you think $250 is a small price to pay?
It's almost always a lot less expensive than hiring a broker to rent your existing reservations. I believe they keep $3.50 - $4.50 per point.

It's almost always a lot less expensive than hiring a broker to rent your existing reservations. I believe they keep $3.50 - $4.50 per point.

I was under the impression that this post was to allow people to give an opinion on the current board guidelines. I’m definitely not going to argue with any decision made, but I will still say that $250 for 3 posts would make my offers on here a lot worse value than $0 for 3 on Facebook.

I could maybe increase by $1 per point to cover the cost, but maybe not all would sell, so I might increase by $2-$3 per point.

On a previous post that I commented on it was was suggested by admin that we actually put our feelings forward as opinions would be considered.

Prior to this I have never expressed any opinion or unhappiness with the rules of the board, and I will always obey them, but having been invited to express my opinion and being told that these were being considered I am now simply letting mine be known. I’m really not trying to get into an argument or debate, so I will leave commenting on this thread now, but having been asked how I feel I just thought I should be honest.

Last edited:

As someone who rents points, I appreciate the system used here.

I know the owners I come across have either paid or have some activity in the community that can be reviewed. It helps me feel more confident because a scammer isnt likely to invest the money or community time necessary for the slim chance of finding a target.

Thanks to all the moderators that keep things running smoothly.

I was under the impression that this post was to allow people to give an opinion on the current board guidelines. I’m definitely not going to argue with any decision made, but I will still say that $250 for 3 posts would make my offers on here a lot worse value than $0 for 3 on Facebook.

I could maybe increase by $1 per point to cover the cost, but maybe not all would sell, so I might increase by $2-$3 per point.

On a previous post that I commented on it was was suggested by admin that we actually put our feelings forward as opinions would be considered.

Prior to this I have never expressed any opinion or unhappiness with the rules of the board, and I will always obey them, but having been invited to express my opinion and being told that these were being considered I am now simply letting mine be known. I’m really not trying to get into an argument or debate, so I will leave commenting on this thread now, but having been asked how I feel I just thought I should be honest.

And i understand that...for me if I need to..paying the 250 for 3 at last minute would be worth it. I feel , and this is me, that the clients I rent to here are a little more knowledgable, majority know what they want and are resonable with their requests. FB and some of the others, its a whole mixed bag, and I would be stressed if they would pull out, cause damage, pr not pay.
As for Daves, well I have rented thru them once years ago, went ok, but now I will bank those 3-4 dollars in my pocket instead of them. Now yes that would get eaten up by paying the fee here,, but given the climate of Daves over the last year,, i feel safer here....just my 2 cents.
And yes everyone should feel safe to give their opinion, Im sorry if you thought I responded in a negative manner. Never meant to.

As we have no easy way to check if a non-DVC owner is trying to rent out an RCI reservation, and RCI weeks generally start on Fridays. Saturdays, and Sundays for 7 nights this solution was introduced. RCI reservations are not supposed to be rented. 7 Day existing reservations may be offered if they start on other days of the week, within the limits of the respective Rent/Trade board plans.

Another rule we are often questioned about is why not allow existing reservations until the 30 day window. This is to discourage members from booking prime weeks and resorts solely on the speculation of renting them out, preventing other members from booking their own vacations. This is why the relatively high plan prices for the Platinum and Premium plans and limited number of pre-existing reservations allowed. This was considered a big problem when the rules were initially drafted by regular posters on the DIS.
You mention that certain reservations (e.g., RCI) are not supposed to be rented. What about Disney's express "commercial purpose" prohibition. You have no way of knowing whether someone is renting their points as part of a commercial enterprise which is prohibited. Is this a concern?

From Disney: "Members may rent their Vacation Points. However, the use of your Vacation Points for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited. Commercial purpose includes a pattern of rental activity or other occupancy by a Member that the Board of Condominium Association, in its reasonable discretion, could conclude constitutes a commercial enterprise or practice."

Look, y'all can make whatever rules you like but there has been no real mention of the "commercial purpose" prohibition and how any of the rules prevent violation of it.

It sure seems like folks in the Platinum and Premium plan are renting lots and lots of points to be amateurs.

You mention that certain reservations (e.g., RCI) are not supposed to be rented. What about Disney's express "commercial purpose" prohibition. You have no way of knowing whether someone is renting their points as part of a commercial enterprise which is prohibited. Is this a concern?

From Disney: "Members may rent their Vacation Points. However, the use of your Vacation Points for commercial purposes is expressly prohibited. Commercial purpose includes a pattern of rental activity or other occupancy by a Member that the Board of Condominium Association, in its reasonable discretion, could conclude constitutes a commercial enterprise or practice."

Look, y'all can make whatever rules you like but there has been no real mention of the "commercial purpose" prohibition and how any of the rules prevent violation of it.

It sure seems like folks in the Platinum and Premium plan are renting lots and lots of points to be amateurs.

DVC/Disney will handle enforcement of that if needed, based on the number of rentals (room reservation not used by the owners) over a specified length of time. Our DIS limit of 3 pre-existing reservations per year, and overall limit of 6 to 8 threads per year, depending upon the plan purchased, does not come close to DVC's definition of "commercial renting" under the criteria that DVC previously announced.

Hi. Maybe consider a bilateral feedback system where owners and renters can give feedback to each other, resulting in an aggregate feedback score. Most forum software already have a built in function for that. In other boards that I frequent, their classified boards run such a system. The buyer and seller can both rate each other as +1, 0, or -1. The feedback score is reported as total positive and total number of reviews. I personally don’t deal with someone with less than 100% feedback score, as buyer or seller. The feedback is NOT moderated unless one side is not happy with the feedback received and report to the moderator, then the moderator arbitrates the situation.

This will probably matter more for owners who want to rent points, as bad renters can simply sign up with a new user name. On the other hand, even as an owner, I do think the renter has a disproportionate amount of risk since the owner completely controls the reservation and usually gets paid up front. The flip side is that I can see why disboard moderators don’t want to get involved, and have the renters do their own due diligence. Anyways, these are my thoughts. The rent-trade board is a great asset for owners and renters, especially with how some brokers dealt with covid related rentals. I think it’s a win win for both owners and renters to provide a good way to possibly cut out the middle-person.

Hi. Maybe consider a bilateral feedback system where owners and renters can give feedback to each other, resulting in an aggregate feedback score. Most forum software already have a built in function for that. In other boards that I frequent, their classified boards run such a system. The buyer and seller can both rate each other as +1, 0, or -1. The feedback score is reported as total positive and total number of reviews. I personally don’t deal with someone with less than 100% feedback score, as buyer or seller. The feedback is NOT moderated unless one side is not happy with the feedback received and report to the moderator, then the moderator arbitrates the situation.
That has been talked about in the past. But it has always been decided that it is too easy to make up fake reviews, good or bad (Think Amazon) And we mods really have no desire nor the time to get involved in what are basically "he said she said" type situations.

That has been talked about in the past. But it has always been decided that it is too easy to make up fake reviews, good or bad (Think Amazon) And we mods really have no desire nor the time to get involved in what are basically "he said she said" type situations.

yeah, totally understand from the POV of mods.

... I’m definitely not going to argue with any decision made, but I will still say that $250 for 3 posts would make my offers on here a lot worse value than $0 for 3 on Facebook.

Just to clarify, the Premium rental plan - currently $199.95 - allows up to eight (8) rental threads, including up to three existing reservations within 11 months of the arrival date.

If you "need" to rent more than 3 "unusable" existing reservations, using other sites (like Facebook) is probably a much better option. I have never found myself with even ONE existing reservation that I couldn't use within 30 days of the arrival date in almost 28 years of being a DVC Member - let alone reservations more than 30 days ahead of arrival when Members are able to cancel without penalty (unless it is also within the ability to bank).

I've used the rent/trade board on one occasion when I was not able to travel. That's having owned DVC for over 20 years.

I was able to use the free version and was/am still grateful for the option. A total of 6 people used my points in increments of 1-4 nights mostly for studios and one 1 bedroom customer. This also generated a set of people that emailed from time to time, asking if I had points to rent. I never did as I tend to use all my points and usually borrow ahead.

The reason we don’t allow reservation wanted and transfer wanted threads is because it is easy to be contacted by someone who does not have a rental thread...a possible way to scam.
This is why we ask those wanting transfers and reservations to reply into existing rental threads and only do business with people with whom they initiated first contact.
This makes sense. Disregard my previous post then.

It would be considered three separate reservations, each requiring its own thread.
Sorry, I'll rephrase. Would it be possible to consider altering the rules so posting a continuous split stay be considered one rental and not separate reservations?
The spirit of the rule is: "if your vacation has to be cancelled last minute, you can rent it". In my case my vacation is made of three consecutive reservations at three resorts.
Thanks

Sorry, I'll rephrase. Would it be possible to consider altering the rules so posting a continuous split stay be considered one rental and not separate reservations?
The spirit of the rule is: "if your vacation has to be cancelled last minute, you can rent it". In my case my vacation is made of three consecutive reservations at three resorts.
Thanks
The problem is, they really ARE three separate reservations. Each can be cancelled or rented separately from the others. You could rent it to three different renters, in three distinct transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter