Headphones - What You Got?

Nole95

DIS Veteran
My headphones have died on me, and I am in the market for a new pair.

Looking for recommendations on what everyone is using. I like to be imersed in my music while running, and they need to be able to hold a charge for a good amount of time. I have an Iphone, so was wondering how the Apple AirPods work on runs? However, not sure that is the way I want to go.

Last edited:
AfterShokz Trekz. Either the Titanium (cheaper) or the Air (lighter, more comfortable, better sound). The bone conduction technology is great and allows you to listen to music (or podcasts or audiobooks) without plugging your ears. I find that to be a great safety plus, as I can hear what's going on around me while I'm running. Battery life is good, too. Generally in the 7-8+ hour range.

I am a big fan of aftershokz. It looks like you can get them refurbished on newegg for $39. I like that it allows me to hear my surroundings when i am running outside.

PowerBeats 3 I had 2's and they broke on me but got a good life period of them. I like the around the ear aspect of these.

I also use the Aftershokz and really like them. Only caveat is that if you're somewhere you do want to drown out the sound (i.e. the gym or on an airplane), they're not the best for that. I have an old pair of wired earbuds I keep around for that purpose.

I run with my AirPods and love them. They fit exactly the same as the EarPods that come with the iPhone so as long as those fit well on you, you shouldn't have any problems with them falling out. I've had them for 2+ years and they've only fallen out twice and that was because I knocked them out.
I'm like you in that I need my music to run. The sound on these are amazing.
As for battery life, my AirPods lasted the 6+ hours during the WDW Marathon. The case is a charger as well so while I was riding Expedition Everest, my AirPods were being charged and could have lasted another couple of hours.

Many folks like Aftershokz. My wife has the high end model - the Air. I tried them on a few runs and didn't like them. If you really like great sound, you will be disappointed. The sound was OK but not great. And the ambient sound thing didn't really work for me. I really could not hear things around me like I thought I would and when I did hear something - like a door slam. I would be startled and I hated that when I was focusing on my pace, etc. I also found them just a little uncomfortable as they sorta dug into my cheekbone. Not bad but noticeable for me.

I have been using the Jaybird X3's and love them. If you wear them with the memory foam tips and in the over the ear configuration, they are very comfortable and sound awesome. They come with an app that you can EQ to whatever sound you want and I have dialed in the perfect sound for me. When you put them in your ears, the memory foam expands and creates a "noise isolating" effect. It is not noise canceling but blocks out alot of additional noise and makes the sound very clear. I know that this is not the safest configuration if you are running on busy roads, which I do, but it makes the sound quality better than just about any other earbuds I have used. They do come with normal silicon tips if you don't want the noise isolation. You can still EQ to get a great sound with the silicon but they don't match the sound and comfort of the memory foam.

I have been using the Jaybird X3's and love them. If you wear them with the memory foam tips and in the over the ear configuration, they are very comfortable and sound awesome. They come with an app that you can EQ to whatever sound you want and I have dialed in the perfect sound for me. When you put them in your ears, the memory foam expands and creates a "noise isolating" effect. It is not noise canceling but blocks out alot of additional noise and makes the sound very clear. I know that this is not the safest configuration if you are running on busy roads, which I do, but it makes the sound quality better than just about any other earbuds I have used. They do come with normal silicon tips if you don't want the noise isolation. You can still EQ to get a great sound with the silicon but they don't match the sound and comfort of the memory foam.

If you buy Jaybird then buy them from Best Buy and pay the extra $20 insurance for 2 years so you can get replacements. I have owned Jaybird X2, X3 and Freedom 1 and 2. My first Jaybird X2 had to be replaced 6 times in 1 year - under warranty, but a hassle to keep sending it back, etc. X3 were replaced 3 times. I then bought the Freedom and best buy insurance and had those replaced 3 times and now don't have any - but will likely buy the Tarah Pros since I got all my money back from Best Buy minus pro-rated insurance price (so I think I was out like $5).

Basically Jaybird is fine, BUT they go bad quickly. They would either lose charge very fast after a couple of months of use - like in less than an hour when they should be 4 to 8 hours (depending on which ones), or they would stop connecting and no amount of rebooting would fix it. Probably sweat damage even though they are sweat proof--yeah right. I like the fit, but I hate how fast they just go bad, which is why I highly recommend the Best Buy insurance or wherever else you get it add the insurance if they have it. Yes you get 1 year of warranty from Jaybird but just sending them back is annoying and with best buy you walk in and walk out. I also have like 7 of the little pouches which are cute.

If you buy Jaybird then buy them from Best Buy and pay the extra $20 insurance for 2 years so you can get replacements. I have owned Jaybird X2, X3 and Freedom 1 and 2. My first Jaybird X2 had to be replaced 6 times in 1 year - under warranty, but a hassle to keep sending it back, etc. X3 were replaced 3 times. I then bought the Freedom and best buy insurance and had those replaced 3 times and now don't have any - but will likely buy the Tarah Pros since I got all my money back from Best Buy minus pro-rated insurance price (so I think I was out like $5).

Basically Jaybird is fine, BUT they go bad quickly. They would either lose charge very fast after a couple of months of use - like in less than an hour when they should be 4 to 8 hours (depending on which ones), or they would stop connecting and no amount of rebooting would fix it. Probably sweat damage even though they are sweat proof--yeah right. I like the fit, but I hate how fast they just go bad, which is why I highly recommend the Best Buy insurance or wherever else you get it add the insurance if they have it. Yes you get 1 year of warranty from Jaybird but just sending them back is annoying and with best buy you walk in and walk out. I also have like 7 of the little pouches which are cute.
I was going to comment on this in my original post but didn't want to draw it out too much, but yes. This is an issue that I had researched and I have seen many folks on the running thread who said they had quality issues. I bought my X3's on Amazon and sure enough at about 13 months, they all of a sudden died on me quickly and then I could not get them to turn on even though they were showing fully charged. I contacted Jaybird through their online chat. They asked me my serial number and then promptly shipped me a new set of their next version: the X4's. While waiting for my X4's, I recharged my X3's and somehow got them to turn on. Very bizarre but they have been working since and it is has been about a month or so. The new X4's arrived and I have not even opened the box yet because I love the X3's so much but I am anxious to set them up and try them. In the meantime, I am ready for when that other shoe drops on my X3's and they die for good. Hopefully the X4's have better quality. I have not heard as much with issues with the X4's as I have about the X2 and X3's.

I use the senso Bluetooth headphones from Amazon. They hold a pretty good Charge and for the price, $23 they really can't be beat. I have issues with sweat and earbuds but these have been great. They also have a really high rating and like 30K reviews.

I have Bose SoundSport Wireless & Powerbeats3 Wireless. Both go on sale frequently at Best Buy & Target so don’t pay full price!

I love my aftershokz as well but I don't like the way they feel in the winter with my hat pulled down low (they press into my cheekbone and stops my hat from fully covering my ears) so I use the Anker Sounds Buds Slim in very cold weather.......except they died on me yesterday but at $25 I don't mind terribly replacing them.

I am so glad we got away from races wanting to ban headphones on the course.
That was a down-bound train that was never going to be stopped.

Me, I'm old-school $9.95 Sony. They aren't wireless but last a long time.
Bonus, they have unlimited battery life! :)

I really like my AirPods. They work well for running and my growing obsession with all kinds of Podcasts. I like being able to just put one in when I’m walking around the grocery store or doing stuff around the house.

Yet another in favor of Aftershock. I have the Trekz Air and really like them.

I love my aftershokz as well but I don't like the way they feel in the winter with my hat pulled down low (they press into my cheekbone and stops my hat from fully covering my ears)

This exactly. I wear hearing aids but not when I run (too much sweat "shorts" them out". The Aftershokx Air are fantastic as they allow me to hear a bit of the outside world. I have not used them as much this winter, as they don't work as well with a winter hat pulled over my ears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter