Hawaii 2020

I'd be surprised if they reverted back to choose-your-room after reaching GTY. I suspect they will keep any canceled inventory as GTY. You can always make a request, but no guarantee you'll get it.
Wow that's crazy that they might not have any rooms to select now. It's almost two years away. This is my first time booking on opening day, is this normal for a unique sailing?

Wow that's crazy that they might not have any rooms to select now. It's almost two years away. This is my first time booking on opening day, is this normal for a unique sailing?

I don't think I recall an entire cruise completely selling out on opening day, but there may have been a transatlantic a few years ago that came close (maybe it did sell out, I wasn't really paying close attention that year). There have been times that some categories sold out, and times that several reach GTY on opening day. "Unique" itineraries do sell quickly among CC members.

I read someone mention they received a GTY room assignment about a week after opening day; if DCL goes through and assigns all GTY and still has considerable inventory, they may put it back out to select a specific room. I suppose it may depend how many holds drop right away. I'm just not thinking huge amounts of rooms will drop back into inventory tomorrow or early next week - I wouldn't be surprised if many did actually put down a deposit to buy themselves time to decide. Whether the party will ultimately cancel before PIF is another question.

I'm wondering if the GTY issue is tied to the DVC inventory in some way. Would explain why they're allowing reservations without assigning anything just yet.

I don't think I recall an entire cruise completely selling out on opening day, but there may have been a transatlantic a few years ago that came close (maybe it did sell out, I wasn't really paying close attention that year). There have been times that some categories sold out, and times that several reach GTY on opening day. "Unique" itineraries do sell quickly among CC members.

I read someone mention they received a GTY room assignment about a week after opening day; if DCL goes through and assigns all GTY and still has considerable inventory, they may put it back out to select a specific room. I suppose it may depend how many holds drop right away. I'm just not thinking huge amounts of rooms will drop back into inventory tomorrow or early next week - I wouldn't be surprised if many did actually put down a deposit to buy themselves time to decide. Whether the party will ultimately cancel before PIF is another question.
It's been fascinating to watch it unfold. I'm really happy that my Fiance is Gold and I could book an actual cabin I wanted. I feel like putting a deposit down makes sense instead of a hold, since it's refundable. It always amazes me how things go so quick with Disney, like booking dining and excursions. I booked on another cruise line and everything was available and it was really easy to do everything.

Do GTY's getting assigned super early eliminate the chance of upgrades?
"Upgrade" as in DCL gives you a better room for no increased cost? No way of knowing.

Upgrades are random, and really have no way of predicting when/who will get them.

I'm confused as far as the whole HOLD thing. Are people getting inventory when they log in, putting a placeholder on it since its something better than nothing, then continue to search for a better room option? Can people change their placeholder once they have it to another room?

I'm wondering if the GTY issue is tied to the DVC inventory in some way. Would explain why they're allowing reservations without assigning anything just yet.
I'm not sure I understand... I think very few people actually book DCL cruises using DVC points. It would in no way cause DCL to not allow room assignments. And Gold and Platinum CC members were able to select a stateroom earlier this week. It's simply the result of a fairly unique itinerary -- DCL hasn't been to Hawaii since 2015, and there are only 2 cruises on one of the smaller ships. Relatively few spots available compared to a more routine Alaska or Caribbean cruise.

Do GTY's getting assigned super early eliminate the chance of upgrades?

Despite what it may seem like on these boards, the vast majority of GTY receive are assigned the exact category they book. DCL will upgrade when it suits their needs. GTY assignments can change regardless of how early the assignment is given, or even for reservations that selected a stateroom. I wouldn't count on GTY meaning more likely for an upgrade.

I'm confused as far as the whole HOLD thing. Are people getting inventory when they log in, putting a placeholder on it since its something better than nothing, then continue to search for a better room option? Can people change their placeholder once they have it to another room?

Some people use the "hold" feature while they run the figures past spouse/family/travel party. Or maybe to give them time to make sure they can get the time off; though at this point the deposit is refundable (other than concierge).

I think most of the "holds" are done by TA's, who contacted DCL on behalf of a client and then need that client's sign-off to the specific fare quote. Some will drop; others will be confirmed with a deposit.

A "placeholder" is not the same as a "hold." A placeholder is an Onboard Booking (OBB) that someone makes while on a cruise; sort of a certificate for a discount on a future cruise. Yes, placeholders -- and any reservation -- can be changed to a different stateroom or even a different cruise date. Placeholders must be used within 24 months of when the OBB deposit was made (during the prior cruise).

Some people use the "hold" feature while they run the figures past spouse/family/travel party. Or maybe to give them time to make sure they can get the time off; though at this point the deposit is refundable (other than concierge).

I think most of the "holds" are done by TA's, who contacted DCL on behalf of a client and then need that client's sign-off to the specific fare quote. Some will drop; others will be confirmed with a deposit.

A "placeholder" is not the same as a "hold." A placeholder is an Onboard Booking (OBB) that someone makes while on a cruise; sort of a certificate for a discount on a future cruise. Yes, placeholders -- and any reservation -- can be changed to a different stateroom or even a different cruise date. Placeholders must be used within 24 months of when the OBB deposit was made (during the prior cruise).

Got it.....but Holds cannot be modified once selected right? You either put the placeholder deposit down or lose the whole itinerary right?

Got it.....but Holds cannot be modified once selected right? You either put the placeholder deposit down or lose the whole itinerary right?

You either pay the deposit for the hold, or let it expire. Once you have put down the deposit, you can then make any adjustments such as a different stateroom. If you wanted a different date, most likely people would let the hold drop and make a separate reservation for the new date.

I was hoping to move our 9c gty to 9b but 9b already $400 more than it was yesterday (plus when I actually click on it says not available)...
So while I believe staterooms will open up I don’t know how many will be moving with the price increase already.
I can’t uograe any further either with the rates having gone up. Just changed from 9Ds to 9Cs.

I’ve modified our holds twice today.

I'm not sure I understand... I think very few people actually book DCL cruises using DVC points. It would in no way cause DCL to not allow room assignments. And Gold and Platinum CC members were able to select a stateroom earlier this week. It's simply the result of a fairly unique itinerary -- DCL hasn't been to Hawaii since 2015, and there are only 2 cruises on one of the smaller ships. Relatively few spots available compared to a more routine Alaska or Caribbean cruise.

DVC members have gone crazy like what we're seeing here and do use their points on opening day for certain popular member cruises despite being charged an upcharge for points to get on those sailings. The points for this cruise weren't outrageous. My thinking was that IF it's true and inventory does get held back for the DVC - now that they've officially opened bookings, rooms may become accessible back to the DCL as the day progressed.

Getting Remy/Palo is going to be rough too, although at least there are multiple sea days.

We just did the Westbound Transatlantic - We are gold and couldn't get into Palo for brunch until the last sea day. And I think they had the reception in the Walt Disney Theater.
On the plus side, going to Palo on the 10 day of a cruise, I really didn't over eat ;)

So with a lot of people having GTY rooms...when that room number gets assigned...does it ever change again? At what point does my GTY room become MY room for sure?

So with a lot of people having GTY rooms...when that room number gets assigned...does it ever change again? At what point does my GTY room become MY room for sure?
A GTY room assignment can show up at any time between the original booking date all the way up to, and including, embarkation date.

Can it change? Yes. Does it change? Not often.

Even selecting a specific room, doesn't guarantee that you'll get that room for sure, as any number of reasons could mean you'd be moved to a different one by the time you cruise.

On a bright note.... thinking already FE. Since the kids sren’t coming I need a new one for two.

I googled and found some awesome Hawaiian print/ themed fabrics. So much to choose from. Guess I have 2 years to decide. Lol!

On a bright note.... thinking already FE. Since the kids sren’t coming I need a new one for two.

I googled and found some awesome Hawaiian print/ themed fabrics. So much to choose from. Guess I have 2 years to decide. Lol!

It’s more like a year and a half???
:cool1:
Never done fish extenders in 5 Disney cruises. I think I want to give it a go... with 5 days at sea why not!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter