• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Having a waitlist replace a portion of an existing reservation

disprincess2213

DIS Veteran
We have a full week at BCV in a studio and want to change the first 2 nights to the poly. There is only one night available as of now so I just put in a waitlist for the 2 consecutive nights. I said in the waitlist request that I wanted to "replace an existing reservation" but only for the 2 requested nights. WIll I have any problem with this? If the waitlist comes through, that will only cancel the first 2 nights of the existing reservation right? We wont lose the entire BCV stay correct??

Book the night that is available and only waitlist the other unless you are 100% no-way on doing the one night.

Every night added to a single waitlist request reduces your chance of match.

With DVC anything can happen. We have learned to keep things simple do to prior issues. Waitlist only if we really have to (they never match anyway) and we never transfer points.

:earsboy: Bill

I use waitlist but what I won't do is ask for a partial replacement of a reservation. There are enough reports of things happening incorrectly just with normal waitlist although most of those can usually be fixed. Having a full reservation potentially cancelled and replaced with 2 days though is something I will not risk.

We have a full week at BCV in a studio and want to change the first 2 nights to the poly. There is only one night available as of now so I just put in a waitlist for the 2 consecutive nights. I said in the waitlist request that I wanted to "replace an existing reservation" but only for the 2 requested nights. WIll I have any problem with this? If the waitlist comes through, that will only cancel the first 2 nights of the existing reservation right? We wont lose the entire BCV stay correct??
Will they replace a part of a single reservation? I doubt they will but even if they try, there's a risks of messing it up. I'm assuming you don't have enough points to hold both. If not, and assuming you don't have enough points to hold one waiting on the second, I'd take the one night, change what you have assuming you get the 2 nights. Basically split what you have to the 1 nights you want elsewhere and wait list to replace that night. For Poly if you're far enough out, you should be fine.

I agree with those who say this is a very risky proposition and personally, I would not attempt it. In fact, I urge you to cancel the waitlist asap or risk losing the 5 BCV nights you already have and want to keep.

That said, if this is very important to you, my advice is to send an email to MS (through the "Contact Us" link on the Members' website). Ask to have your current BCV reservation split into two reservations - one for the first 2 nights and one for the last 5 nights. Then ask for a 2 night Poly reservation instead of the 2 night BCV reservation or waitlist for that if not available. Explain that you want to keep the B CV 2 night reservation if the Poly nights are not available. Ask to have the Poly waitlist set up to replace the 2 night BCV reservation so you can reuse the points. Be sure to explain clearly what you want and if you want the waitlist to expire at 7 or 31 days. Make sure you include all the relevant information.

You could also call to request this, but my preference is to do it via email so that you have a written record of what was requested and what they did. They will send you an email after they complete the request. Understand that MS may refuse (another reason to do it via email as IMO, you are less likely to be refused than if you call and get a random CM). Let's hope for some pixie dust.

Good luck!

:)

We have something similar. I have 4 days booked at AKV in November, and I put in a waitlist for the last 2 nights to replace at BWV. What I did is CALL member services, and told them essentially what you want - I don't want to cancel the entire reservation, just the last two. The CM said that they can set that up, and so supposedly if our waitlist comes through it will just take out the last 2 days.

The short version: CALL CRO and have them note on the waitlist what specifically you want.

We have something similar. I have 4 days booked at AKV in November, and I put in a waitlist for the last 2 nights to replace at BWV. What I did is CALL member services, and told them essentially what you want - I don't want to cancel the entire reservation, just the last two. The CM said that they can set that up, and so supposedly if our waitlist comes through it will just take out the last 2 days.

The short version: CALL CRO and have them note on the waitlist what specifically you want.

Calling is about the only way to have it set up well but I personally still wouldn't as the concerns are still the same. Finalizing the waitlist is done by a human and they don't always get it right. If they see the notes and do everything correctly then your fine. But reports pop up frequently enough of things not being done as set up (and simpler things than this) and in this instance it means losing days of your stay with likely no way to get them back.

If I felt lucky enough to try I'd also be watching the dashboard every day and seeing if there was a match. If there was I'd call MS and ask them to complete the match while explaining to them you wanted to be certain the replaced part of the reservation and left the other days intact.

Calling is about the only way to have it set up well but I personally still wouldn't as the concerns are still the same. Finalizing the waitlist is done by a human and they don't always get it right. If they see the notes and do everything correctly then your fine. But reports pop up frequently enough of things not being done as set up (and simpler things than this) and in this instance it means losing days of your stay with likely no way to get them back.

If I felt lucky enough to try I'd also be watching the dashboard every day and seeing if there was a match. If there was I'd call MS and ask them to complete the match while explaining to them you wanted to be certain the replaced part of the reservation and left the other days intact.

You are making me a little nervous. The CM I spoke to (I wrote it down but don't have it here.) said that it was 100% certain I would not lose my earlier 2 days. They made it sound like this was a simple thing to do and is done quite frequently.

I have a AKV Value room, and don't have the points to switch all 4 days, but would love to get 2 nights into BWV, but I don't really care enough to "Stalk the site", so my plans remain to leave this wait list out there for a bit longer. If I lose my room for 2 nights I will be screaming bloody murder - we fly in from NY and can't not have a room.

You are making me a little nervous. The CM I spoke to (I wrote it down but don't have it here.) said that it was 100% certain I would not lose my earlier 2 days. They made it sound like this was a simple thing to do and is done quite frequently.

I have had this same experience. The CM wrote down exactly what I wanted to do and made it sound like it was a frequent request. I called them after I put in the request online to add a note to the waitlist request.

Agree with others that this is way too risky. Would do as carol suggested and split your current reservation (but would ask them not to do this if there was a risk of losing any of your days). Hope everything works out for you.

I have a AKV Value room, and don't have the points to switch all 4 days, but would love to get 2 nights into BWV, but I don't really care enough to "Stalk the site", so my plans remain to leave this wait list out there for a bit longer. If I lose my room for 2 nights I will be screaming bloody murder - we fly in from NY and can't not have a room.

I have had this same experience. The CM wrote down exactly what I wanted to do and made it sound like it was a frequent request. I called them after I put in the request online to add a note to the waitlist request.

I'm sure it is a common waitlist request but the issue is that it's completed by a human and more than a couple times a year there are posts here of something that wasn't done correctly when a waitlist was filled. If it was just borrowing points when there were current it's not that difficult to fix. But more than once people come here and say a reservation was replaced that they didn't ask to be replaced and I recall at least once where they wanted days replaced but the entire room was cancelled and filled with the shorter waitlist. Giving odds I'd say it will likely go as you want but for myself, even a possibility of not having the nights I needed prevents me from doing this. If it were for a time where something else could be booked then I might but the fall doesn't fit that criteria for me.

When I have done this, I have sent MS an email confirming that the wait list was set up to show that I only wanted part of my current reservation replaced. This way, I have proof, in writing, that it was, so if something happened, at least I could show that the mistake was on their end, and not mine. So far, the couple times I did this, it worked out fine!

When I have done this, I have sent MS an email confirming that the wait list was set up to show that I only wanted part of my current reservation replaced. This way, I have proof, in writing, that it was, so if something happened, at least I could show that the mistake was on their end, and not mine. So far, the couple times I did this, it worked out fine!
But if you lose it and it's not available otherwise, you're out of luck. They will not reverse another transaction even if it was on their end. The best they can do in that situation is a priority wait list.

You guys made me nervous. I cancelled my BWV waitlist for November. I have 4 nights in a value studio at AKV and can only afford to switch 2 nights to Boardwalk if it were to even come through. I actually don't even care if we get it because I just bought a small BWV contract for future years, and I am only so-so on the idea of moving in the middle of a mere 4 night stay, so rather than risk anything messing up, I dropped the waitlist. BWV will have to wait until 2018.

But if you lose it and it's not available otherwise, you're out of luck. They will not reverse another transaction even if it was on their end. The best they can do in that situation is a priority wait list.

Very true. But at least when I do this, I like to have it verified that it has been set up correctly. So far, never had an issue with them messing up, but sometimes just knowing that I didn't screw it up helps!!!

I should reiterate, even though I canceled mine, I don't think this would stop me from trying again in the future. In this particular case, it was much more important that I didn't lose the existing reservation than that I got my waitlist. My wife didn't even know I had done the waitlist. I do agree the best idea is to get something in written from MS if you can.

^ I just picked up 4 nights in November in an AKV Jambo value studio, glad to hear it wasn't your reservation getting messed up!

^ I just picked up 4 nights in November in an AKV Jambo value studio, glad to hear it wasn't your reservation getting messed up!

Ha, nope mine is still there. You made me nervous so I just checked! Not November 4th - 8th...if so we'll be neighbors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter