HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
k&a&c'smom Hey there posting buddy! :goodvibes Does posting about an hour apart count??? LOL.

What a heat wave...MickeyNut would be wearing her flip flops with those temps!! LOL...:tiptoe:

I agree about the different room configurations...such nice options! :thumbsup2

I meant to comment on this in my post above, but somehow it got left out of my multi-quote :blush:. My thoughts on the wood flooring are the same as you. Wood flooring (IMO) doesn't belong in a resort hotel room. It seems out of place to me and just doesn't go. It's not just at the GF because I feel it doesn't belong at the WL either. Now putting it in the villas at the WL (or VGF, like you said) makes more sense because that is more of a homey atmosphere, but not a resort room :sad2: (just my opinion).

X3! :upsidedow ....

yes. rpc is amazing.

Hi Beth !! I agree..it is amazing...Just staying at the GF is amazing...:cloud9:

Great! I just wanted to make sure everything would be done by the fall.

A few more questions ... could someone explain to me the differences between the outer building GV and the outer building deluxe GV? The price difference/night seems to be quite a bit.

Also, I know you can watch the fireworks from around the marina area and Narcoossee's. If the view from the resort fairly good? Also, is it correct that they do not pipe in the Wishes music to the marina area, just Narcoosee's?

Thanks so much. Just trying to wrap our heads around trying out a new resort!

I see k&a&c'smom already gave you the scoop on the deluxe GV rooms... :thumbsup2

As for having music piped in during fireworks...we too have "heard" that the music has been piped into the marina area..but have never heard :listen: it for ourselves??? lol...The music is piped into Narcoosees...and to the outside deck..but to make the most of that I do believe that you have to be dining there...

I have gathered that you are a "Poly" gal...and I am sure trying a new resort can take a bit more planning ...I really think that you will love the GF..(.lots of good tips to be found around here!) It is such a lovely resort... Happy planning! :goodvibes

hi, GF newbie here - our first trip and we are able to stay at the GF. SO EXCITED!!!:cheer2:

made my ADRs today. Question about travel time to epcot - how long does it take? We would like to come back to the GF if possible during the afternoon and go back to epcot for our ressies at 6pm.

Thanks!!

Just wanted to say WELCOME!! and congrats on booking the GF for your first trip! :goodvibes

grannyminnie Oh I bet the "grands" enjoyed having a snow day! What kid doesn't like a little extra time off! :goodvibes

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! princess:

What a heat wave...MickeyNut would be wearing her flip flops with those temps!! LOL...:tiptoe:

I have gathered that you are a "Poly" gal...and I am sure trying a new resort can take a bit more planning ...I really think that you will love the GF..(.lots of good tips to be found around here!) It is such a lovely resort... Happy planning! :goodvibes

You know me too well, Blue :laughing:..... as always, my flip flops are handy and ready to go :rotfl2:.

I have to agree about the GF and loving it once you stay there :goodvibes. You know I am a Poly gal as well, but I also love the Grand :love:. It's such a beautiful resort that no matter what room type you have or what building you're in, it's just an overall great place to stay :cloud9:.

Thanks k&a&c'smom! Waiting for an email now from our TA as to what our options might be (we booked on BB, so are worried about availability, but are hoping they take pity on us because of the Poly construction!)

One would certainly hope so, the Poly refugees should get some extra pixiedust when trying to rearrange ahead of time.::yes:: Good luck with your planning!

Great temps :cool1:. We are in mid 40s with sunshine, which feels like a heat wave compared to what we've been getting :rotfl:. The snow is starting to melt pretty quickly, so hopefully by the weekend we could see grass....LOL.

Interesting on waiting another 6 years. Is that the time frame for refurbs? I wonder if AKL will be next in line after BC/YC :scratchin. When the time does come for AKL, I can't help but wonder what they will do there :rolleyes1.

LOL on having school without the country kids. You knew the weather was pretty bad in our town when we had a snow day :lmao:.

Yes, being there on Halloween was so much fun. I just love the parties, both Halloween and Christmas ::yes::.

We don't have any experience with the sofa beds either, but I have heard the same thing about them not be the most comfortable to sleep on :sad2:.

LOL about the grass - good luck!:sunny:

We love the parties, too, though we haven't made it to any lately.

The refurbs used to be about 6 years apart, but of course, the Grand went 7 years this last go 'round, which is probably why the furniture was in such dire need.:scratchin

After thinking about it, I remember now I spent one night on a fold out in a SSR studio, and it was OK but I wouldn't want to sleep there a whole week or anything.:laughing:

k&a&c'smom Hey there posting buddy! :goodvibes Does posting about an hour apart count??? LOL.

I agree about the different room configurations...such nice options! :thumbsup2

I see k&a&c'smom already gave you the scoop on the deluxe GV rooms... :thumbsup2

As for having music piped in during fireworks...we too have "heard" that the music has been piped into the marina area..but have never heard :listen: it for ourselves??? lol...The music is piped into Narcoosees...and to the outside deck..but to make the most of that I do believe that you have to be dining there...

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday! princess:

HAHAHA about the flip flops!:beach: Can't say I blame her, I can't wait to get out of shoes and socks. Well, I'm barefoot as we speak...;)

An hour absolutely counts.:teeth: We're back on track!;)

Like you, we have never managed to be in the marina when the speakers were operable or whatever. The last time I stayed in SL, I purposely popped outside each time I knew it was time for Wishes - nada. Last year, we didn't manage to go out to the marina for the fireworks, so I can't say about that trip. We have been walking up the path from the boat dock, passing Narcoossee's when it started and paused on the grass to watch and listen. I'm not sure if you can hear the Narcoossee's feed at the dock, we haven't tried that.

As a big fan of both ..I know many peeps prefer one or the other....with many stays in each...in the summer (and especially with children)..we always choose SL...its proximity to the pool cant be beat...and to the water launch ..which we tend to use a lot more particularly during that time of year...You cant go wrong with either one..but I don't think I would do a split stay just for tha sake of trying RPC...:goodvibes

The old, old decor was really fun!:cloud9:

In my experience, they won't transfer that money over to the new reservation, they will refund (takes 3-5 days, usually) and you will need to put down a separate deposit. If that's not an issue, no worries.:goodvibes

It's not a problem to move over to the Main Bldg., you just pack up before 11 a.m. and give your bags to the bellman; when you get to your new room, call and they will bring up your bags. Keep in mind, it may take a few hours in between without a room, but other than that it's not that hard.

RPC and Sugar Loaf have exactly the same food service, but the lounge in RPC is much more spread out. We love them both.:lovestruc

A good point about SL in the summer, I know you prefer it in the hot months for its proximity to the pool and boat dock.:thumbsup2

Well, DH says no to the RPC extra costs since we have to purchase new AP's this year....wah, wah, wahhhhhhh.....oh well!!! I'm still super excited for Sugarloaf! :yay:

Oh, and as a very experienced resort changer (this GF reservation might be the longest I've ever held on to a resort :laughing:), I do know that they will go ahead and transfer the money right over to a new reservation....they just have to fill out some form and send it to "accounting". Done it lots of times with no issues. They can do it as long as its room only to room only. I'm not sure about packages, we rarely have a package so I'm not sure about that one.

:scared1: Oh, NO!:sad1: Well, I figured it would happen. They probably removed the phone jack and repaired the wall, then papered.~sigh~

Here's a photo of where they were located (loved that wallpaper, too):
IMG_0045.jpg

k&a&c'smom - Thanks for sharing all of the photos of the GF décor. It is very interesting to see the changes throughout the years, especially for someone like myself, whose first stay was after the most recent remodel. And thanks for sharing the picture of the bathroom phone. I am sure now that there was no phone there - you are right, they must have removed it and wallpapered right over where it used to be.

I am so curious now about the wood in the entryway and dressing area after reading everyone's opinions. Usually my DH is a pretty good judge of whether the wood is real wood or laminate having done quite some remodeling over the years. But recently I find that it is more difficult to tell the difference between the two. Maybe whoever heads to the GF next can hunt down one of the construction crew and ask! ;) I saw them walking back and forth across the grounds all day long! Too funny! I am guessing that the laminate would stand up better to water from the sinks and damp towels, but am not so sure about the foot traffic in the entryway. I guess only time will tell!

Well, DH says no to the RPC extra costs since we have to purchase new AP's this year....wah, wah, wahhhhhhh.....oh well!!! I'm still super excited for Sugarloaf! :yay:

Oh, and as a very experienced resort changer (this GF reservation might be the longest I've ever held on to a resort :laughing:), I do know that they will go ahead and transfer the money right over to a new reservation....they just have to fill out some form and send it to "accounting". Done it lots of times with no issues. They can do it as long as its room only to room only. I'm not sure about packages, we rarely have a package so I'm not sure about that one.

That's great, I have never been able to get them to do that for me.:teeth: If I change resorts, yeah (meaning, change the whole reservation from resort A to resort B) - but if I split and add a second resort, they have always made me do it with the refund/new deposit thing.

Sorry your DH shot down your RPC dreams, but SL is great, too. We enjoy both and as BlueSkies mentioned, being near the pool is nice in the heat of August.:beach:

k&a&c'smom - Thanks for sharing all of the photos of the GF décor. It is very interesting to see the changes throughout the years, especially for someone like myself, whose first stay was after the most recent remodel. And thanks for sharing the picture of the bathroom phone. I am sure now that there was no phone there - you are right, they must have removed it and wallpapered right over where it used to be.

I am so curious now about the wood in the entryway and dressing area after reading everyone's opinions. Usually my DH is a pretty good judge of whether the wood is real wood or laminate having done quite some remodeling over the years. But recently I find that it is more difficult to tell the difference between the two. Maybe whoever heads to the GF next can hunt down one of the construction crew and ask! ;) I saw them walking back and forth across the grounds all day long! Too funny! I am guessing that the laminate would stand up better to water from the sinks and damp towels, but am not so sure about the foot traffic in the entryway. I guess only time will tell!

Well, that's a shame, but I guess it was inevitable. With everyone having a cell phone, it's not as likely a family member will try to contact you through the front desk - which was the nicest part of having the phone in the bathroom.

LOL about snagging a workman. I think many DISers did just that when the VGF were being built.;) Good points all around, it is much harder to tell wood from laminate these days, and we will all have to wait and see how the flooring wears over the years.:hourglass

Ohhhhh to smell the lobby now would be wonderful after all this lousy weather in the northeast!!!!
Does anyone know if they make the candles that smell like the Grand Flo lobby anymore?

Here are a few pics of the view from our garden view room (8241) in Boca Chica from our trip last month. We loved this room view because of the ability to easily see Seven Seas Lagoon off to the side and the pretty view of the Narcoossee's lights straight ahead at night.

View to the right:

View straight ahead:

View at night:

View from the daybed:

View off to the left of workers at the very beginning of Conch Key refurbishment:

Ohhhhh to smell the lobby now would be wonderful after all this lousy weather in the northeast!!!!
Does anyone know if they make the candles that smell like the Grand Flo lobby anymore?

I don't know if Bath & Body works has a candle of the Green Clover & Aloe scent or not - this is what everyone claims smells like the GF lobby. I know the lotion/body wash is only available periodically.

Here are a few pics of the view from our garden view room (8241) in Boca Chica from our trip last month. We loved this room view because of the ability to easily see Seven Seas Lagoon off to the side and the pretty view of the Narcoossee's lights straight ahead at night.

Ahhh, thanks for the photos! What beautiful light you captured, and what a pretty view.:cloud9: Was this a corner room?

And here are a few more pics from our stay of the beautiful GF resort grounds.. :goodvibes

And, as mentioned in my TR, we had a special 15-min visit from the entire Cinderella crew while we were hanging in the lobby one evening:

:)

Ahhh, thanks for the photos! What beautiful light you captured, and what a pretty view.:cloud9: Was this a corner room?

So glad you like them! These were actually all taken with my work phone (Windows phone) since I left my personal phone charger at home! :laughing: It may have been chilly during most of our trip, but, as you can see, we did have quite a bit of sun at least!

This room was actually closer to the Conch Key side of Boca than the SSL side (I think 3 doors down from the side fire escape). I imagine that the room views closer to the SSL side would be even prettier! ::yes::

LOL about the grass - good luck!:sunny:

We love the parties, too, though we haven't made it to any lately.

The refurbs used to be about 6 years apart, but of course, the Grand went 7 years this last go 'round, which is probably why the furniture was in such dire need.:scratchin

HAHAHA about the flip flops!:beach: Can't say I blame her, I can't wait to get out of shoes and socks. Well, I'm barefoot as we speak...;)

Quite a bit of snow has melted here between yesterday and today and I can actually see some grass where the sidewalk meets the grass :goodvibes. Hopefully by the weekend we will be able to see more :thumbsup2.

The parties are great. We've been to 3 Halloween parties and 2 Christmas parties and we haven't tired of them yet :).

Thanks about the refurbs. Maybe they should have given it a few more years to think about what to do with the GF :rotfl::rotfl:.

I'm with you on the flip flops ::yes::. I am tired of wearing socks and tennies.....I need my flip flops back :rotfl2:.

It is very interesting to see the changes throughout the years

I agree. I loved seeing the pics k&a&c'smom posted of the GF rooms from over the years :goodvibes.

LOL about snagging a workman. I think many DISers did just that when the VGF were being built.;) Good points all around, it is much harder to tell wood from laminate these days, and we will all have to wait and see how the flooring wears over the years.:hourglass

It will be interesting to see how the flooring holds up ;).

The smell of the lobby is heavenly :cloud9:.

Awesome pics, mariamouse...thanks for posting them :goodvibes.

And here are a few more pics from our stay of the beautiful GF resort grounds.. :goodvibes

And, as mentioned in my TR, we had a special 15-min visit from the entire Cinderella crew while we were hanging in the lobby one evening:

I never get tired of seeing pics of the beautiful GF grounds :cloud9:.

How cool the Cinderella crew was in the lobby :goodvibes. We went to 1900 PF on our December 2010 trip and the step sisters were hilarious with our two boys. One of them was determined she was going to marry our oldest :rotfl::rotfl:......we had a great time.

Great! I just wanted to make sure everything would be done by the fall.

Also, I know you can watch the fireworks from around the marina area and Narcoossee's. If the view from the resort fairly good? Also, is it correct that they do not pipe in the Wishes music to the marina area, just Narcoosee's?

Thanks so much. Just trying to wrap our heads around trying out a new resort!

Hi there and welcome from another Poly addict! :flower3:

I turned out to have zero tolerance for construction/destruction at my favorite resort, and I was so heartbroken that I turned to the Grand for consolation. I stayed there first in November and again in January, the first lagoon view and the second CL SL.

I loved both stays, and enjoyed my resort time. I was there the night they put up the giant Christmas tree in the lobby (and all the other holiday decor, too!) and stayed up until three am watching it all happen. I spent at least part of many evenings enjoying the music from the big comfy sofas in the lobby, which turned out to be the GF version of hammock time. Club level at Sugar Loaf was a step up in terms of variety and quantity from the Poly CL (which I adored, so a very good thing).

The Grand feels more about architecture and grounds than gardens, and is magnificent and beautiful and relaxing. It didn't feel as connected to the MK as the Poly did to me, but I think that will vary depending on your view. I think you will enjoy having a new experience of a beautiful place. I watched Wishes a couple of times from the marina area. The music was most audible closest to Narcoosee's so I hung out at the edge of the path there to watch.

There were many things I missed about the Poly, especially seeing "my" cast members - people I've known for many years and who make the aloha happen. The Poly beach was always about that amazing view of the castle for me, combined with the fabulous views of the water, boat traffic and the Grand sailing at full sail across the water. The quiet hammock on the Tahiti beach was my favorite place to spend a blissful afternoon with a book. I loved the background music, and the gardens. I felt connected to the outdoors in a special way when I was there - very much like real Hawaii. That said, I felt I had a great resort vacation at the Grand. I don't have as many people connections there yet, but if I continue to return those will happen.

I'm hoping that I will love the new Poly the way I loved the old, but I have less faith in Disney hotel renovations these days with the trend to de-pixie dust the room decor. With the new attractions they are often sharing art and concept pieces from the attractions as they are building them, so I'm kind of surprised they haven't shared anything about the new look of the pool and lobby.

I agree with the votes for SL in the summer months. Now you just need to start a campaign for a Christmas season RPC stay - being there for the holiday time seems like it could quadruple the magic. :cloud9:

Thank you for the fantabulous pictures!! I love the perspectives!

Can someone please help me find the page which shows the building rehab schedule? I have tried the search but it does not bring it up. :confused3
Specifically, I want to see when they are going to begin the SL rehab.

And speaking of heat waves and flip flops, our temp today is supposed to be 76! I had to pull out the summer gown last night!! Wow!

Can someone please help me find the page which shows the building rehab schedule? I have tried the search but it does not bring it up. :confused3
Specifically, I want to see when they are going to begin the SL rehab.

And speaking of heat waves and flip flops, our temp today is supposed to be 76! I had to pull out the summer gown last night!! Wow!

Page 1 of this thread, right at the top in red. :goodvibes. SL is being done in June. :thumbsup2

76!!! So lucky....I was doing a dance of joy this morning because we are expecting 45 degrees for the rest of the week!!!! :dance3:

Good morning!

Today is my 180 day mark for ADRs and I received an email from GF IPO at 7:28am confirming my ADR requests. I didn't expect to hear from them this early! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

This is going to be a long 180 days!:hyper:

Page 1 of this thread, right at the top in red. :goodvibes. SL is being done in June. :thumbsup2

76!!! So lucky....I was doing a dance of joy this morning because we are expecting 45 degrees for the rest of the week!!!! :dance3:

Thanks, Mousemommy!:flower3: I knew it was June, but could not remember if it was the first or a little later on in that first week. They do seem to be keeping to the schedule, if you consider Conch Key's finish. :thumbsup2

Good morning!

Today is my 180 day mark for ADRs and I received an email from GF IPO at 7:28am confirming my ADR requests. I didn't expect to hear from them this early! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Congrats!! Our 180 was on Monday and GF IPO got us everything we wanted. They are great!!! :thumbsup2

Good morning everyone :wave2:..

Mariamouse: Thanks for the pics. I'd take that garden view room in a heartbeat..what a great view!

Regarding the wood flooring...could it be tile?? I have two siblings who live in Florida and both have what appears to be wood flooring throughout their homes but it's actually tile and it comes in different colors just like hardwood. I wonder if that's what it really is :scratchin.

So glad you like them! These were actually all taken with my work phone (Windows phone) since I left my personal phone charger at home! :laughing: It may have been chilly during most of our trip, but, as you can see, we did have quite a bit of sun at least!

This room was actually closer to the Conch Key side of Boca than the SSL side (I think 3 doors down from the side fire escape). I imagine that the room views closer to the SSL side would be even prettier! ::yes::

More great photos, I especially liked the Summerhouse Landing and courtyard pool photos, beautiful. Amazing they were taken with a cell!

Thanks for the details on the room location, it has a lovely view - not sure which I like better, the one in your photos or the one we had over the courtyard pool, both are beautiful.:lovestruc

Quite a bit of snow has melted here between yesterday and today and I can actually see some grass where the sidewalk meets the grass. Hopefully by the weekend we will be able to see more :thumbsup2.

The parties are great. We've been to 3 Halloween parties and 2 Christmas parties and we haven't tired of them yet.

Thanks about the refurbs. Maybe they should have given it a few more years to think about what to do with the GF :rotfl:.

I'm with you on the flip flops ::yes::. I am tired of wearing socks and tennies.....I need my flip flops back :rotfl2:.

YAY for your snow melt, hope you get more today. We are supposed to have thunderstorms, ugh. Our extremely warm weather this week means we have NO SNOW on the ground.:yay:

LOL about the refurbs, I agree, they should have given this one more thought.;)

Hi there and welcome from another Poly addict! :flower3:

I turned out to have zero tolerance for construction/destruction at my favorite resort, and I was so heartbroken that I turned to the Grand for consolation. I stayed there first in November and again in January, the first lagoon view and the second CL SL.

I loved both stays, and enjoyed my resort time. I was there the night they put up the giant Christmas tree in the lobby (and all the other holiday decor, too!) and stayed up until three am watching it all happen. I spent at least part of many evenings enjoying the music from the big comfy sofas in the lobby, which turned out to be the GF version of hammock time. Club level at Sugar Loaf was a step up in terms of variety and quantity from the Poly CL (which I adored, so a very good thing).

The Grand feels more about architecture and grounds than gardens, and is magnificent and beautiful and relaxing. It didn't feel as connected to the MK as the Poly did to me, but I think that will vary depending on your view. I think you will enjoy having a new experience of a beautiful place. I watched Wishes a couple of times from the marina area. The music was most audible closest to Narcoosee's so I hung out at the edge of the path there to watch.

There were many things I missed about the Poly, especially seeing "my" cast members - people I've known for many years and who make the aloha happen. The Poly beach was always about that amazing view of the castle for me, combined with the fabulous views of the water, boat traffic and the Grand sailing at full sail across the water. The quiet hammock on the Tahiti beach was my favorite place to spend a blissful afternoon with a book. I loved the background music, and the gardens. I felt connected to the outdoors in a special way when I'm there - very much like real Hawaii. That said, I felt I had a great resort vacation at the Grand. I don't have as many people connections there yet, but if I continue to return those will happen.

I'm hoping that I will love the new Poly the way I loved the old, but I have less faith in Disney hotel renovations these days with the trend to de-pixie dust the room decor. With the new attractions they are often sharing art and concept pieces from the attractions as they are building them, so I'm kind of surprised they haven't shared anything about the new look of the pool and lobby.

I agree with the votes for SL in the summer months. Now you just need to start a campaign for a Christmas season RPC stay - being there for the holiday time seems like it could quadruple the magic. :cloud9:

Thank you for the fantabulous pictures!! I love the perspectives!

Aren't mariamouse's photos lovely? The perspectives are nice, I agree.

Thanks for such a comprehensive comparison of the Poly vs. Grand - I agree on all points. We were long time Poly lovers before defecting to the GF.;)

Good morning!

:cool1::cool1:

Thanks, Mousemommy!:flower3: I knew it was June, but could not remember if it was the first or a little later on in that first week. They do seem to be keeping to the schedule, if you consider Conch Key's finish. :thumbsup2

So far, so good with the work schedule. They should be at the half way mark in Boca.

LOL about having to get out your summer gown, it has been quite warm here as well (60s) and we had to turn the heat way down in the bedrooms and throw off a cover!:teeth:

Good morning everyone :wave2:..

Mariamouse: Thanks for the pics. I'd take that garden view room in a heartbeat..what a great view!

Regarding the wood flooring...could it be tile?? I have two siblings who live in Florida and both have what appears to be wood flooring throughout their homes but it's actually tile and it comes in different colors just like hardwood. I wonder if that's what it really is :scratchin.

It's possible, someone mentioned they thought the wood-look floor at WL is tile.:idea: On the other hand, DisneyDreamingInMI has seen the GF floors in person, and said they looked like real wood, and BlueSkies spoke with a CM about the wood floors in VGF who confirmed those are laminate. So, the evidence is pointing strongly to laminate that looks very much like wood - many of them do now. Hopefully, the next poster who is at the Grand can snag a builder and ask.:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!