HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, you!:wave: Good to see you! Sounds like you've had a busy household. I know what you mean about missing summer, I do, too. Summer is my favorite season.:sunny:

Did you enjoy BWI? I've forgotten if you've stayed there before.

Congrats on snagging a discount just days before your trip! Enjoy your stay, I will be looking forward to your update.:goodvibes

We had stayed at BWI, although it had been a couple of years. We had a few issues while there. I will say that several key CL CM's were on vacation during our trip and there also seemed to be some friction between the kitchen staff and CL CM's. The resort was sold out and food replenishment in the lounge was a large issue ( I had never experienced anything like this on any other visit).

There were a few other smaller issues but all in all we had a good time and fabulous mousekeeping. It was not GF but we choose it for access to HS as we spent the majority of our time there for SWW.

Looking forward to looking at the completed villas and the upcoming refurb. Let me know if you need any specific photos for the thread and I will try to get them.:wave2:

I can't wait to report back everything! I will takes ton's of pictures, provided I don't burst with excitment before Saturday.:yay:

I can't wait to report back everything! I will takes ton's of pictures, provided I don't burst with excitment before Saturday.:yay:

Disney Spaz have a wonderful time at the Grand. I can't wait to see your pictures! I live the entire winter through everyone's vacation! :rotfl: Safe travels and look forward to hearing back from you!

That goes for your too BlueSkies! I'm so jealous.

I miss my summer too. Stress in this house. DS applying to college and competing his Eagle Scout. Really, really looking forward to summer vacation. Yes, we are going to go to Disney. We will deal with DD and her medical issues.

We had stayed at BWI, although it had been a couple of years. We had a few issues while there. I will say that several key CL CM's were on vacation during our trip and there also seemed to be some friction between the kitchen staff and CL CM's. The resort was sold out and food replenishment in the lounge was a large issue ( I had never experienced anything like this on any other visit).

There were a few other smaller issues but all in all we had a good time and fabulous mousekeeping. It was not GF but we choose it for access to HS as we spent the majority of our time there for SWW.

Looking forward to looking at the completed villas and the upcoming refurb. Let me know if you need any specific photos for the thread and I will try to get them.:wave2:

Sorry about the CL issues at BWI! We had a similar experience there on our last visit, but we were not on the club level. We were walked there from WL, and somehow our folio did not transfer well.:eek: It has kind of left us leery of going back, though I know it is a great resort.

Can't wait to hear about your trip! If you could get some good photos of the courtyard pool, that would be great - mine still have the fence construction, etc. in them. And, of course, anything to do with VGF - of the building without fencing, lobby if you're allowed in, etc.:goodvibes If you have time, of course, don't mean to be giving you an assignment.;)

We can't wait to hear all about it!!:yay: Have a magical time, looking forward to your photos!

I miss my summer too. Stress in this house. DS applying to college and competing his Eagle Scout. Really, really looking forward to summer vacation. Yes, we are going to go to Disney. We will deal with DD and her medical issues.

MommyGina, I think I missed something.:hug: I hope there is nothing seriously wrong, I'm so sorry for your stress.:hug:

Good luck to your DS with his college applications and his ES.

Hello everyone!

My family is staying at the Grand Floridian for the first time this February and we are very excited! We are booked in an outer building, garden view room and I was wondering if I should make a specific building request? My primary concern would be that we have a quiet room. We enjoy walking and will be taking a stroller so the distance from the main building and transportation should not be a problem. Thanks so much! :goodvibes

Welcome, and congrats on your first GF stay!:cheer2:

For a quiet room, I'd suggest Sago Cay. It is away from the bustle of the courtyard, so the rooms have a calmer feel and you are removed from the noise. Close to Gasparilla's, the marina and the back path to the bus stop and/or self park, bonus!:thumbsup2

We liked Sago because it is a quick walk to lobby and buses. One side faces marina and the other the lake/monorail and yet these rooms are GV.

Really the courtyard pool is not as noisy as other resorts so not really a noisy location anywhere except maybe by pool with slide when they do afternoon activities.

Congrats on your first stay at the Grand....Hmmm maybe Conch Key is close to the water launch, Big Pine Key close to main building, Boca Chica close to courtyard pool & not too far from main, Sago close to Gaspies & bus stop....I don't think you can go wrong with any of those buildings.

None of the buildings are very far from anywhere. I may be in the minority but I would not want to be in Sago, it is the furthest from everything except Gaspies, and the back way to the bus stop. Plus that is where most of the convention people are because it is close to the convention center. I'm on vacation, I don't want to be mixed up with a bunch of people working. :rotfl2: Boca Chica is close to both pools, the beach and main building, but with the fence around the pool you would have to walk around it or go through gates to cut through. I don't think noise is a problem anywhere at the GF.

Congrats on your first stay at the GF!! :goodvibes Garden view can be of the gardens..of course..lol..the courtyard pool...of the marina..yes those are all considered GV...

Take a look at the map at the beginning of this thread...it will give you a good idea of which building you might like best... We never have had a issue with noise with any room..Sago since it is a bit more removed from the whole courtyard area might be best if you enjoy walking and for a more serene view.. Happy planning!

We had a GV in Big Pine Key and I loved it as it's convenient to the courtyard pool (and not too far from the beach pool), the main building, and Gasparillas. I don't remember having any trouble with noise.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! I really appreciate the input! :goodvibes

I showed the GF map to my hubby and he asked about Conch Key. He was concerned that Sago Cay may be too close to the hustle and bustle of the convention center and thought that Conch Key looked removed enough from the main areas to be quiet but more centrally located. Has anyone stayed in the Conch Key and do you have any pros or cons? We had a bad experience being next to the main pool at the Poly where they had a VERY LOUD pool party everyday during nap time!!! We were able to be moved, but we could still hear the party and now my husband is scarred for life and unable to stay in a Disney room adjacent to a pool! :rotfl:

Anyway, thanks so much! I am learning so much from this thread...everyone is so friendly and helpful!!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!!! I really appreciate the input! :goodvibes

I showed the GF map to my hubby and he asked about Conch Key. He was concerned that Sago Cay may be too close to the hustle and bustle of the convention center and thought that Conch Key looked removed enough from the main areas to be quiet but more centrally located. Has anyone stayed in the Conch Key and do you have any pros or cons? We had a bad experience being next to the main pool at the Poly where they had a VERY LOUD pool party everyday during nap time!!! We were able to be moved, but we could still hear the party and now my husband is scarred for life and unable to stay in a Disney room adjacent to a pool! :rotfl:

Anyway, thanks so much! I am learning so much from this thread...everyone is so friendly and helpful!!!

Conch Key is our favorite building, but is closer to all the activities than Sago Cay. Sago is the quietest building according to most, it may be nearer the Convention Center but we did not hear anything from that quarter. We had a room overlooking the marina, though, so I can't speak to those on the back side. I've got some photos of the grassy area on the back side, looking towards the CC, so you can see what it is like.

Conch Key overlooks the marina on one side and the courtyard pool on the other. It is close to the boat dock and Narcoossee's, and just a short walk to Gasparilla's out the back door.:goodvibes

The daily pool games are reported to be back at the Beach Pool now, and one person reported the movies are back to the beach near the camp fire. Hopefully, that means there are less organized activities in the courtyard area that will cause noise. However, some guests are reporting the courtyard pool is noisier now in general, due to the addition of the zero entry and pop jets - which are both on the Conch end.:scratchin

Just trying to give you as much info as possible, as you do not want a repeat of the nap situation!:flower3: For what it's worth, with the doors closed, we rarely hear much of anything within the rooms at the GF.

Conch Key is our favorite building...can't think of any cons, only pros! It's quiet, right by the boat dock so at the end of a MK night, hop on the boat and your room is right there. Both the pool view and the marina view are lovely, too. Back exit is close to Gasparilla's, so very convenient.

Have a great time!

:sunny:

Back side of Sago Cay, you can barely see the CC through the trees
IMG_1547.jpg

Looking straight out the back door of lobby
IMG_1549.jpg

Looking right, you can see the monorail heading to the MK!
IMG_1546.jpg

The next photos are of the marina view, Sago - these were taken during winter so the trees are bare.

Looking toward Gasparilla's, SL in top left of photo
IMG_0072.jpg

Straight out, you can see Conch Key across marina on left, SL on right
IMG_0071.jpg

Looking left from balcony, Conch Key across marina
IMG_0070.jpg

I hope someone makes a video walking around the outside of the VGF building. I'd like to get a feel of the views. I'm staying standard view and love to see palm trees.

Opinions needed please!! My family has been going to GF since it opened and my mom has always gotten what she wanted- sugarloaf, 3rd floor, pool view. They had one trip where they had a marina view and said the boat fumes were horrible. Fast forward to today....I get a call from the Concierge Room assignor to work out our room. This time around we need connecting since we have my 2 year old and will be sharing the duties watching him. So....here is what they offered us:
1- 1st floor, connecting, pool view
2- 4th floor, adjoining (across the hall), dormer room, one pool view and one marina

After a lot of back and forth, they were able to find us 2nd floor, connecting, marina view. Is marina view really that terrible? I have only stayed pool view but part of me thinks that marina view will be kind of cool for my 2yo. I know DH will have no suggestions for me, so I am seeking help from y'all!! 3 days!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I hope someone makes a video walking around the outside of the VGF building. I'd like to get a feel of the views. I'm staying standard view and love to see palm trees.

Me, too!

These pictures kill me!!! :goodvibes

I know, makes you want to be there right now, doesn't it?!

Opinions needed please!! My family has been going to GF since it opened and my mom has always gotten what she wanted- sugarloaf, 3rd floor, pool view. They had one trip where they had a marina view and said the boat fumes were horrible. Fast forward to today....I get a call from the Concierge Room assignor to work out our room. This time around we need connecting since we have my 2 year old and will be sharing the duties watching him. So....here is what they offered us:
2- 4th floor, adjoining (across the hall), dormer room, one pool view and one marina

After a lot of back and forth, they were able to find us 2nd floor, connecting, marina view. Is marina view really that terrible? I have only stayed pool view but part of me thinks that marina view will be kind of cool for my 2yo. I know DH will have no suggestions for me, so I am seeking help from y'all!! 3 days!!!

There are marina view photos just about 3 posts above yours.;) From Sago, but the same marina area. I've posted marina view photos from SL back a few pages, I'll give the link.

We love the marina view, it is not terrible - it's beautiful! I can't imagine when your parents were there that the boats were so busy they could smell fumes; we seldom see anyone out in them, unless it is high summer.

ETA: here's the link for the marina view photos. I've got a few more, I'll post them if you like.:flower3:

k&a&c'smom Thank you so much for those Sago Cay photos. Sago is my preference for location and the views on both sides are lovely...although I am planning to request marina view. Not only is the marina water nice for a view but I love all the trees, plantings, and walkways. just lovely:cloud9: I love the location being so close to Gaspie's, the boat dock, and the bus stop.

I also appreciate the comments a few pages back regarding the comfortable beds at PBH. The room reno looks great--very upscale-- although it doesn't feel very Italian to me. We will be heading over there after our stay at GF and I am already dreaming of those beds! We love the relaxation at PBH after a hectic week at WDW. The room amenities, the food, the theming and the service are a bargain compared to the prices we pay at WDW resorts....IMO;)

Guess I should start scoping the sales over the next several months for some lightweight blankets to keep warm during those Grand nights....:rotfl2:

You are going to have an awesome time at the Grand :banana::banana:. Can't wait to hear all about your trip and see all of your great pics :goodvibes.

You're welcome :). Glad you are getting alot from this thread.....the gals on here are a wealth of information :thumbsup2. Sorry I can't help with opinions on Conch Key as we've never stayed in that building, but it looks like you have gotten some great input from others on it ;).

Back side of Sago Cay, you can barely see the CC through the trees

Looking straight out the back door of lobby

Looking right, you can see the monorail heading to the MK!

The next photos are of the marina view, Sago - these were taken during winter so the trees are bare.

Looking toward Gasparilla's, SL in top left of photo

Straight out, you can see Conch Key across marina on left, SL on right

Looking left from balcony, Conch Key across marina

Great pics.....makes me want to be there now :cloud9:.

I loved our marina view :goodvibes. I especially loved going out on the balcony early in the morning as it was so peaceful.

Guess I should start scoping the sales over the next several months for some lightweight blankets to keep warm during those Grand nights....:rotfl2:

:rotfl::rotfl:

Mousemommy1 Too funny! That forecast looks just like ours. It is currently 40degrees where I live and it is only 8:15pm. Ugh. Pretty soon we will be using the "s" word around here and describing it in inches:sad2: This is just ONE of the many reasons I am a DIS addict. I get to live vicariously thru others experiencing my coveted happy place. And on July 23....it will be my turn:woohoo:

Mousemommy1 Too funny! That forecast looks just like ours. It is currently 40degrees where I live and it is only 8:15pm. Ugh. Pretty soon we will be using the "s" word around here and describing it in inches:sad2: This is just ONE of the many reasons I am a DIS addict. I get to live vicariously thru others experiencing my coveted happy place. And on July 23....it will be my turn:woohoo:

Soo sad! And I'm usually a hold out and try not to turn the heat on until Thanksgiving but it's so cold, so early right now. :sad2:

As long as we don't get a Halloween blizzard this year, like we did 2 years ago. No joke. Oct 31st, 18 inches of snow. :scared1:

I'm just gonna keep dreaming about the GF....

Me, too! I know, makes you want to be there right now, doesn't it?! There are marina view photos just about 3 posts above yours.;) From Sago, but the same marina area. I've posted marina view photos from SL back a few pages, I'll give the link. We love the marina view, it is not terrible - it's beautiful! I can't imagine when your parents were there that the boats were so busy they could smell fumes; we seldom see anyone out in them, unless it is high summer. ETA: here's the link for the marina view photos. I've got a few more, I'll post them if you like.:flower3:

Thanks for the input! I posted prior to catching up on the thread :). After talking with DH tonight and my mom, I think we are going to go with the 4th floor dormer rooms. That way it should be a bit quieter, we will be a little further away from the boats, and we will still have excellent views. My mom really wants a pool view and while I think it would be super convenient to have connecting rooms, I think for the amount of time we will spend in the rooms, this will work out better. So excited!! 2 more sleeps here, 1 in Baltimore, then we are off to the Grand! <3

You are going to have an awesome time at the Grand :banana::banana:. Can't wait to hear all about your trip and see all of your great pics :goodvibes. You're welcome :). Glad you are getting alot from this thread.....the gals on here are a wealth of information :thumbsup2. Sorry I can't help with opinions on Conch Key as we've never stayed in that building, but it looks like you have gotten some great input from others on it ;). Great pics.....makes me want to be there now :cloud9:. I loved our marina view :goodvibes. I especially loved going out on the balcony early in the morning as it was so peaceful. :rotfl::rotfl:

Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!