HAVING A GRAND OLD TIME! The 2013 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they went to white so they could bleach the heck out of them (or at least hot water) in between? I agree with you, yet hadn't really thought about it before...I wouldn't want it to look like a regular hotel when I got there. I can't imagine no blanket!! I would think that maybe that looked good on paper...Once they realize mousekeeping is spending more time running blankets to all the rooms they may change their minds? I like to curl up in a warm blanket (even in Florida!!), so that would not work for me either!

It's possible, but the duvets at Y&BC were not all white. At YC, it was a white duvet but with a blue lined border. BC had a cream colored duvet, which I preferred - just looked prettier to me and blended well with the room decor.

The triple sheeting does have a thin blanket between the two top sheets - this is the kind of sheeting the Grand has always had, but with a bedspread on top! The other resorts had regular double sheeting, with spreads for years but switched out to duvets in the last 2-3. I can't imagine having no cover on the beds; as others have said, it kind of makes "turn down" a moot point!

Are there any pictures of this yet? Did I miss that somewhere?

maxie posted some photos of the YC and BWI rooms without spread or duvet - up the page!:teeth:

Well, the resort is supposed to undergo a room refurb rumored to be starting in January. So far, we have had reports that some rooms are starting to have only triple sheeting (no bedspread, no duvet) with a runner or scarf. Not sure yet whether this is throughout all rooms.

I don't mind the duvets, but I'm not fond of white. Makes the WDW rooms look like any room, in any hotel. I, and many WDW regulars, prefer to see and feel Disney when we are in our rooms.:wizard:

Weird to only have triple sheets and no top. I do like the triple sheets on the cruise ships.

CSR has a runner and I think it is VERY Disney. I imagine that washing bedspreads can get costly..if everything goes to white, then they can make larger laundry runs..less labor to have to separate the spreads..

Guess I am not a "regular"...I have only had 6 trips so far this year :rotfl2:

Mousemommy, I like the marina view unless I'm in the lodge tower rooms, now called deluxe. You can see Wishes from your balcony in some of the marina view rooms, but not all of them. You can't see the castle, but have a great view of Wishes since they are behind the castle. I liked the courtyard view much better before the pool renovations. Never noticed any noise from the pool area when in the room, not even when there was a wedding out there and very crowded one night.

BlueSkies, The YC and BWI both had triple sheeting and no duvet. The only way you could tell that you got turndown was the chocolates (YC) or taffy (BWI) on the pillow. :lmao: If they do that at the Grand, and it looks like they will, you better take extra warm pj's, and maybe even a down parka. :lmao: There is a blanket in between the sheets, but it wasn't very warm. I loved the Alice bedspreads, but I do not like the ones they have now...too heavy and stiff.

Have a great trip. Looking forward to your review when you get back.

Thanks Roomie! I am not positive..but I think that our room in BWI this past winter had a duvet...LOL..but you might remember better that I do??

Thanks for posting all of those pretty room pics..just cant get enough Disney pics!

k&a&c'smom, Thanks for posting the link to the VGF pics. It does look very pretty.

It seems odd to me that RPC people cannot visit the SL lounge....not that many of them would, tho! :) The RPC lounge is just too much of a draw! :cloud9:

I too feel that not using duvets, even with the triple-sheeting, may not be to my liking...and LOL on the suggestion to bring a parka, Maxie! :rotfl2: I think I remember those stiff comforters from last time...

You will be seeing for yourself very soon! WooHoo!!!

I checked in today at 3 with Mama and Daddy! We're in big pine on the fourth floor and overlooking the big pool and all the beauty of the buildings. They put Mama and Daddy in a room right next to the elevator. I'm hoping they can't hear it! My bedspread, which I was prepared to hate was just a beautiful white thick patterned sheet over a blanket and top sheet. There's a plain blue spread across the bottom of the bed.

I had brought excellent organic Sumatra coffee grounds to use with our pot but the pot is now a two cuisinart mug system that uses round pods. Joffry's coffee so that should be nice. We ate at the cafe then stolled the stores. When we checked in, magic bands were down. I wonder if that was everywhere.....like fast pass reservations? They're working now. And I have a nice tall refrigerator! We got a gallon of spring water.

A CM here gave us a fourth fast pass for tomorrow so we're all set!

Glad that you are all settled in...Have a GRAND vacation!

oh, goodness, if they end up with the same set up that BC has, we were FREEZING. it was as k&a&c'smom described... a sheet, then two sheets on either side of a thin blanket. we had 5 nights there and could not get warm and it was AUGUST! we ended up getting extra blankets and that helped a bit. anyway, yuck, if they get the same as BC, i will be SO disappointed in the bedding, it is inadequate for a moderate and a disgrace for a deluxe. :headache:

Lets hope for the best! :headache:

The blue throw is just a splash of color. A pretend throw actually.

Well at least they chose a nice color!

Good morning friends! Hi Blue :wave2: I'm trying to catch up on my reading. Lots going on here on this thread.

I personally like a bedspread. I have one on my bed at home and liked the ones at the GF. I could always pull it up on my half of the bed if it got too cold. DH is a furnace and kicks off the covers. I know that the spreads are changed when you check out. I loved the Alice themed spreads. They were there the first time we went to the GF.

Permits have been filed for room renovations? That sounds like more than just a soft refurb. Can't wait to find out what that's all about.

Bye for now.

Hey MommyGina :hug: Good to "see" you!

Good Morning GF Lovers! :goodvibes

So, I know that the recent Courtyard Refurb resulted in the deepest portion being 4 1/2 feet now. But, how deep is the Beach pool? :confused:

Thanks!

Beach pool is about the same depth 4 1/2 feet as the refurbed courtyard pool...or there abouts..Such a nice pool for kiddies ..the slide and the water fall..well water trickle these days..LOL.. I am sure that you and your family will enjoy it!

is it just me or does anyone else hate the latest decor of the GF? It is so dark and gloomy it looks like a 1930's funeral home. where are the soft salmons, blues and greens? I was shocked and very disappointed. Saw some pix of the suites and they are 'dumbed' down too - no mutiple pillows on beds, upholstery dark YUK! Even the lobby with the dark rug and the palm trees. I am going to cry! I see in Conde Nast where even the Wilderness Lodge beat the GF for best resorts - and by a lot. The GS people need new uniforms too. The present sage green and OLD and ill fitting on everyone. Even V&A's had poor fitting uniforms on the servers. Someone had better get on the ball!

Sorry ppiew But I think that the lobby looks as bright and airy as ever..and that the new carpets and some darker fabrics give it a nice warmth...I do agree about those soft salmons blues and greens tho..very pretty...and some of those colors can still be found in the lobby tiles of the outer lodges..

k&a&c'smom-We are super excited and thank you so much for this amazing thread. GF has been my favorite resort since it opened and your thread captures the beauty of the resort.

BlueSkies- We actually are having our first stay this Saturday. We check in 10/26 and stay fro 5 nights in a 1 bedroom standard view. This week is dragging.

mickeynut1-Thanks for the warm welcome. :goodvibes

HOw great...Enjoy your first stay at your new home away from home!! I'll be heading to the GF this week too! Cant wait..Hope you will come back and tell us about your stay!

Posting at the same time - where is BlueSkies?!:teeth: I expect her to have a post any minute now.

Thanks for those photos - the YC top sheet looks exactly like the woven pattern I saw on the Poly beds...I think! I'll have to go look again. ETA: Nope, I was wrong, they look like the plain ones in the BWI photos.

Those PBH beds are incredible, we had a hard time getting out of them. At the end of the day, when DD, her BFF and I got into bed, we would argue about who was getting up to make sure the door was locked, etc.:rotfl: The pix of the (possible) new Four Seasons rooms look very similar, to me.

Hi again! I am LOLing at arguing about who was going to get out of the comfy beds to check on the door lock...

Did you notice that I was usuing multicolors in my multi quote..Thanks for the idea!

OMG...I had a big looong post that went poof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :headache:

I will have to come back later and re respond!!!???

BTW..k&a&c Here I am... :) I started to compose my post around noon.. then had way too many interruptions...LOL...so technically s we were posting at the same time..yet again! :goodvibes

Hi MickeyNut :goodvibes

Hope that all of my fellow GF fans had a Magical Monday!

I will have to come back later and re respond!!!???

BTW..k&a&c Here I am... :) I started to compose my post around noon.. then had way too many interruptions...LOL...so technically s we were posting at the same time..yet again! :goodvibes

LOL! Of course we were!;)

I hate it when I work on a post only to have it disappear.:headache: Good luck with your second try.

I'm going to watch a movie, so...chat with you all later!:goodvibes I've been doing my own home version of 31 Days of Halloween, still got a lot of scary movies to watch before the big day!:hmghost:

Sorry - that's not at all what I meant.:flower3: I think I said many of the WDW regulars, meaning more than just me. I really didn't mean to imply you are not a regular.:goodvibes

:lmao:

It's all good..I just thought that was funny because my husband says I need a Disney 12 step program.

and I have 3 trips planned by February 7th...He might just put me away!

Going back to the bedspreads...there must be a reason all these hotels (not just Disney) are changing...are they getting too costly to maintain?

K&A&C'S mom, in 2005 we were in Sago. I still can't remember the bedding. I loved that drawer of snacks so much I got distracted :love:

On a side note my first disney stay at CBR in 1996 the frig was stocked with milk juice sodas etc. also they sold refill mugs from the room :thumbsup2l

:lmao:

It's all good..I just thought that was funny because my husband says I need a Disney 12 step program.

and I have 3 trips planned by February 7th...He might just put me away!

Going back to the bedspreads...there must be a reason all these hotels (not just Disney) are changing...are they getting too costly to maintain?

Again, sorry if it came across that way. I proofread my posts, but still the way it reads is often not the way I intended.:flower3: LOL about your DH thinking you need a 12 step program - mine, too!;)

I'm sure you are right, the move away from a bedspread makes it easier. I just hate it, 'cause I want things the way I want them, by golly!:laughing:

K&A&C'S mom, in 2005 we were in Sago. I still can't remember the bedding. I loved that drawer of snacks so much I got distracted :love:

On a side note my first disney stay at CBR in 1996 the frig was stocked with milk juice sodas etc. also they sold refill mugs from the room :thumbsup2l

According to Cali-D's old listing, all of the rooms in Sago had the Swan decor, photo link. LOL about being distracted by the snack drawer, easy to do. I liked when they had the refill mugs available in the room, though we rarely bought them. I'm still kicking myself that I never got a GF-themed mug.

Hey, our first stay in what used to be called Dixie Landings was in 1996!:teeth: I don't remember any juices or soda in the fridge - but then, I don't remember the fridge!:rotfl2: Seems so long ago, and yet, just yesterday.~sigh~ My babies are all grown up and out on their own.:sad:

Looks like a lot going on ! Have not checked in quite a long time, lots to catch up on. Miss summer dreadfully, my kids are way too busy so consequently that makes me way too busy.

Anyway, we check in on 10/24 to RPC let me know if anyone wants photos of anything specific of any specific information and I will try to get back to you. Our last trip was for Star Wars Weekend in May (but we stayed at BWI) and we are returning again for Thanksgiving. I booked this trip on Saturday !! My daughter really wanted to take her friend along and attend MNSSHP and I was able to book RPC last minute with the passholder rate.

I am trying to catch up on the thread lots of new information. Glad to see everyone is still here, absolutely one of the friendliest threads on the board.

Not looking forward to the fence around the pool but I will reserve judgement until we actually go. Curious to see if we have a spread or the white duvet/triple sheeting. Will try to ask what the new look will be like.

Looks like a lot going on ! Have not checked in quite a long time, lots to catch up on. Miss summer dreadfully, my kids are way too busy so consequently that makes me way too busy.

Anyway, we check in on 10/24 to RPC let me know if anyone wants photos of anything specific of any specific information and I will try to get back to you. Our last trip was for Star Wars Weekend in May (but we stayed at BWI) and we are returning again for Thanksgiving. I booked this trip on Saturday !! My daughter really wanted to take her friend along and attend MNSSHP and I was able to book RPC last minute with the passholder rate.

I am trying to catch up on the thread lots of new information. Glad to see everyone is still here, absolutely one of the friendliest threads on the board.

Not looking forward to the fence around the pool but I will reserve judgement until we actually go. Curious to see if we have a spread or the white duvet/triple sheeting. Will try to ask what the new look will be like.

Hey, you!:wave: Good to see you! Sounds like you've had a busy household. I know what you mean about missing summer, I do, too. Summer is my favorite season.:sunny:

Did you enjoy BWI? I've forgotten if you've stayed there before.

Congrats on snagging a discount just days before your trip! Enjoy your stay, I will be looking forward to your update.:goodvibes

according to cali-d's old listing, all of the rooms in sago had the swan decor, photo link. Lol about being distracted by the snack drawer, easy to do. I liked when they had the refill mugs available in the room, though we rarely bought them. I'm still kicking myself that i never got a gf-themed mug.

Hey, our first stay in what used to be called dixie landings was in 1996!:teeth: I don't remember any juices or soda in the fridge - but then, i don't remember the fridge!:rotfl2: Seems so long ago, and yet, just yesterday.~sigh~ my babies are all grown up and out on their own.:sad:

Thanks for taking the time to give me that link:)

We were expecting dd after only 3 months of marriage so when dd18 months , dh and I went away for a weekend and stayed at DIxie Landings. Truly the most magical day of my life. I found out I was pregnant with ds just before checking in to hotel. I spent the day watching all the happy families at Disney and was so ecstatic that my family of 3 would now be family of 4:cloud9:

I have had a lot of trips packed in lately. I miss dd18 away at college and know ds 16 will be gone soon too.

Thanks for taking the time to give me that link:)

We were expecting dd after only 3 months of marriage so when dd18 months , dh and I went away for a weekend and stayed at DIxie Landings. Truly the most magical day of my life. I found out I was pregnant with ds just before checking in to hotel. I spent the day watching all the happy families at Disney and was so ecstatic that my family of 3 would now be family of 4:cloud9:

I have had a lot of trips packed in lately. I miss dd18 away at college and know ds 16 will be gone soon too.

Aww, what a sweet memory!:lovestruc Enjoy the time with your DS, goes by so fast.

This "pretend throw" thing seems to be a trend these days....

I think you're right :(.

Great tip, but I don't feel I should have to bring my own blankets!:scared1:

I agree completely :thumbsup2,

is it just me or does anyone else hate the latest decor of the GF? It is so dark and gloomy it looks like a 1930's funeral home.

I'm also one that doesn't think the GF decor is dark :confused3. When I think "dark", I think of the Poly (or what the Poly used to be before the recent room refurbs) and AKL/WL (although dark doesn't bother me as I loved the old Poly decor and I love WL/AKL).

We actually are having our first stay this Saturday. We check in 10/26 and stay fro 5 nights in a 1 bedroom standard view. This week is dragging.

mickeynut1-Thanks for the warm welcome. :goodvibes

You're welcome :goodvibes. How exciting that your first GF stay is right around the corner :yay:. Would love it if you reported back after your stay, along with pics :wizard:.

I do love the BWI rooms......I think they kind of resemble the GF :cloud9:.

Hello all! I am new to this thread and have never stayed at the GF!

Welcome to the GF thread :welcome:. You will find a lot of great information here for your first GF stay.

I hate when that happens :headache:.

It won't be long before you're checking into the Grand :cool1:.

I'm going to watch a movie, so...chat with you all later!:goodvibes I've been doing my own home version of 31 Days of Halloween, still got a lot of scary movies to watch before the big day!:hmghost:

Hope you enjoyed your movies :goodvibes.

Congrats on a last minute trip as well as scoring an AP discount on RPC :thumbsup2.

Hi to everyone else :wave2:.

mickeynut1 - I didn't get to watch much, as all 3 of my kids called this afternoon.:goodvibes Each time I hung up, started the movie, another would call.:laughing: I'm glad they did, I just didn't follow through on my plan.

I love the darker resorts, too - in fact, my family room has a lot of the colors of the AKL lobby. Probably why I love the light and airy Grand, it truly feels like a vacation.:cloud9:

Hello all! I am new to this thread and have never stayed at the GF! Is anybody able to tell me if construction is going at the resort in Nov? We are coming down Nov 15-23 and would like to have a stay here. What is the best options for a family of four with a napping toddler midday? Would like a room with a view but not too noisy? Is that possible here? We have stayed at other resorts and have been intrigued by this one. Also what building and view would you recommend? Any help would be appreciated!

:welcome: And congratualtions on booking your first stay at the GF... I bet it wont be your last! I see that k&a&c'smom already gave you some very good advice..the first few pages will really give you lots of good GF info...

Here are my 2 cents tho..LOL..If you would like to be near the main building and the pools too..I would recommend Big Pine Key as an outer lodge..and you really cant go wrong with Boca Chica..its near the courtyard pool..has water and pool views..and is near the boat dock too...

I wonder if they went to white so they could bleach the heck out of them (or at least hot water) in between? I agree with you, yet hadn't really thought about it before...I wouldn't want it to look like a regular hotel when I got there. I can't imagine no blanket!! I would think that maybe that looked good on paper...Once they realize mousekeeping is spending more time running blankets to all the rooms they may change their minds? I like to curl up in a warm blanket (even in Florida!!), so that would not work for me either!

I am a blanket fan too....:worried: even in Florida!

LOL! Of course we were!;)

I hate it when I work on a post only to have it disappear.:headache: Good luck with your second try.

Are you enjoying your scary movies :faint: ..We have watched Halloweentown..and Hocus Pocus so far...lol...:rotfl:

Good advice about taking the reports of germy bedspreads with a grain of salt :thumbsup2..The media loves to sensationize things..and I too have seen mousekeeping changing them out in between guests... Not to say that they cannot be germy..its a hotel room...LOL..I am always prepared..with my trusty tavel sized lysol.. and clorox wipes...:upsidedow:blush:

Congrats on the last minute trip!!! And how great that you snagged RPC...:cloud9: Enjoy! MNSSHP is just the best..

MickeyNut I couldnt believe it when my post went poof! :faint: It takes me forever as it is! LOL..Oh ya..doing the happy dance!!! :woohoo: I promise to text you pics! ::yes::

mickeynut1 - I didn't get to watch much, as all 3 of my kids called this afternoon.:goodvibes Each time I hung up, started the movie, another would call.:laughing: I'm glad they did, I just didn't follow through on my plan.

I love the darker resorts, too - in fact, my family room has a lot of the colors of the AKL lobby. Probably why I love the light and airy Grand, it truly feels like a vacation.:cloud9:

Sorry you didn't get to watch the movies, but glad you had a chance to talk to all of your kids :goodvibes. I have dark colors in my house too, so I guess that's why I like the "darker" resorts....LOL....but I also love the light/airy colors of the Grand ;).

MickeyNut I couldnt believe it when my post went poof! :faint: It takes me forever as it is! LOL..Oh ya..doing the happy dance!!! :woohoo: I promise to test you pics! ::yes::

LOL on it taking you long to post......it takes me forever too when I'm behind and have to do a lot of multi-quoting :rolleyes1.

Only 3 more days :cool1::dance3::cool1:.....looking forward to lots of pics :thumbsup2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter