Have you let your own teens drink alcohol

State law allows for a child under 21 under the supervision and furnishment of their parent or legal guardian for cereal malt beverages under 3.2% ABW. Cereal malt beverage is defined as any fermented but undistilled liquor brewed or made from malt or from a mixture of malt or malt substitute. This does not apply to hosting parties which would then make it prohibited again under an additional exemption added later on.

To answer the question no my parents did not let me drink alcohol in their presence that I can remember. I don't really know that I would allow my (future) children to drink under my supervision but I would hope that once they reach a certain age discussions could be had regarding alcohol in general. To answer the question not specifically asked allowing teens to drink alcohol is not a cause and effect situation regarding their desire to drink (or drink to excess) so many things go into that.

Yeah, there is no hard feelings between my husband and his grandmother as well, and yet she is the one who misses out time with her great grandchildren now as a result of her pushing her beliefs on other people.

Your beliefs are for you, not for you to control other peoples actions.
I think there is a difference in saying "I don't want this to occur within my home" and "I don't want to associate with you at all" or continuously talking/judging about someone's choice to sleep in the same bed whilst unmarried.

The PP is just saying it's not something allowed within their home, not that they would stop associating (even with family) over someone's decision to sleep in the same bed whilst being unmarried or that they would continuously talk/judge about someone's decision to do so.

What if it’s an adult couple that is committed to each other and maybe even have children? Not everyone chooses to get married in this day in age. I know several professional couples that have been together for years and some even decades and some with children.

I couldn’t imagine hosting my cousin and her spouse (unmarried, together 10 years, both mid thirties, own house and business together and have two young kids) and telling them they couldn’t sleep in the same room together, that would just be ridiculous to me, lol

Some people just are not religious or choose not to get married for other reasons. Some see it as a waste of money ect. You can be in a committed relationship and choose not to get married.

I think she should be allowed to control peoples actions in her own home. Why would you be against that?

Why am I against someone pushing their beliefs on others? Why would I be against someone controlling my actions? Seems pretty obvious.

I agree. There are situations where sometimes the host modifies their rules for the comfort of their guests and there are other situations where guests should modify their behavior to respect their host's wishes. For example, I have no problem whatsoever with people smoking, but I'm not going to allow anyone to smoke INSIDE my house just because they smoke in their own home.

Smoking affects other people, sleeping in the same while not married does not.

I think there is a difference in saying "I don't want this to occur within my home" and "I don't want to associate with you at all" or continuously talking/judging about someone's choice to sleep in the same bed whilst unmarried.

The PP is just saying it's not something allowed within their home, not that they would stop associating (even with family) over someone's decision to sleep in the same bed whilst being unmarried or that they would continuously talk/judge about someone's decision to do so.

I was saying, that we would (and have) chosen to not associate with people who push their beliefs (and over this very thing), and it is their loss.

What if it’s an adult couple that is committed to each other and maybe even have children? Not everyone chooses to get married in this day in age. I know several professional couples that have been together for years and some even decades and some with children.

I couldn’t imagine hosting my cousin and her spouse (unmarried, together 10 years, both mid thirties, own house and business together and have two young kids) and telling them they couldn’t sleep in the same room together, that would just be ridiculous to me, lol

Some people just are not religious or choose not to get married for other reasons. Some see it as a waste of money ect. You can be in a committed relationship and choose not to get married.

This^

FWIW I avoid if I can staying overnight in someone else's home at my age and have been that way for a few years I will. I want my privacy these days even if I wasn't married.

The only place we have consistently stayed at is my husband's grandmother's house when we visit. If she wasn't ok with us staying in the same bed when we weren't married we would have just gotten a hotel room after the first time or two.

I do understand your feelings. I dated my husband for 4 1/2 years before getting engaged with a 9 month engagement. My mom didn't care that my husband (then boyfriend) and I slept in the same bed at her house when we were home during breaks in college while living at the dorms (which was 1 school year of us being together) but my future mother-in-law did and thus we never really stayed over there overnight. It was her rule for her house (not applicable to hotel rooms or whatnot). I didn't necessarily agree with it but I respected that it was her house.

Same goes for a local DISer I am friends with. He had a get together at his place and has very very very strong views on alcohol. He requested that we only bring 1 beer each and that we take our trash with us (so his friends wouldn't see the empty container of alcohol) and he said that because he 'trusted us to not get drunk'. My husband and I understand his feelings though we thought it was a bit..much. In any case we left the alcohol at our house.

I was saying, that we would (and have) chosen to not associate with people who push their beliefs (and over this very thing), and it is their loss.
And what I was saying is I don't see how the PP's comments are actually pushing their beliefs on someone.

You can just stay elsewhere, be respectful to their viewpoint, and call it good even if you don't agree with such rules. I did it and I was 19. Surely you can too :) (not to be confused as me pushing my belief on you though).

If they didn't even want to be around you because you slept in the same bed that would be different.

Last edited:
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-do-people-love-coffee-beer-it-s-buzz-not-n1001246

Sugary beverages are linked to many diseases and health conditions, including rising rates of diabetes. Alcohol consumption is responsible for one in 20 deaths globally each year and kills up to 3 million people annually, accounting for 5 percent of the deaths worldwide, according to the World Health Organization
So a little wine with a root beer float isn't good for you?

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-do-people-love-coffee-beer-it-s-buzz-not-n1001246

Sugary beverages are linked to many diseases and health conditions, including rising rates of diabetes. Alcohol consumption is responsible for one in 20 deaths globally each year and kills up to 3 million people annually, accounting for 5 percent of the deaths worldwide, according to the World Health Organization
lol you had to grab an article about people's disposition to bitter over sweet or vice versa to post that part?

I gave my daughter some alcohol to taste the summer before she left for college. She hated fireball and be-vodka was “ok”. Once she turned 18 we would get together with a friend of hers and her mom and would make banana coladas while we played board games. I know she drinks in college but can’t control that, she is living away and in charge of herself.

Why am I against someone pushing their beliefs on others? Why would I be against someone controlling my actions? Seems pretty obvious.

Smoking affects other people, sleeping in the same while not married does not.

I guess I just don’t feel as strongly about it as you do, but from your other posts it does seem like this has been a significant issue with your family so I’m sure that influences both of our viewpoints.

(Although, many people in my family have had the rule of not sharing a room while not married and it has never resulted in any major conflicts. My parents even had my husband sleep IN THE BARN before we were married.)

I don’t really see it as “controlling my actions”, but more like not wanting a particular action to take place within a specific location (their home).

Yes, I gave the example of smoking, but the same could apply to swearing, drinking, wearing shoes inside, or being excessively affectionate. I’m free to engage in all of those if I so choose, but I’m willing to respect my friends and family enough to not do so in their homes if I know it bothers them.

This^

So it’s ok for you to expect them to give to your beliefs or views but not the other way around? Do you not see that you are expecting someone to compromise what they feel is right for your own views? I am not understanding how you feel that is right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter