Have you ever been given a hard time when trying to return an item at a store? Somewhat of a vent.

Where my dd works if an employee has a high rate of customer returns they are audited. Not sure if VS has the same kind of policy for their employees but maybe this particular cashier has a higher rate of returns and was worried about something like that happening to her. Why would she lie to the OP unless she had something to hide?
When I worked as a manager in retail there were always employees trying to steal from their employer one way or another. Not saying that this was definitely the case, but it is a possibility that this had nothing to do with the OP, but maybe the employee covering her own rear end.

At the store I work at, we don't have a set number of "too many returns", but we do keep an eye on things. If we see the same person returning things regularly, we're supposed to call a manager over the next time.

Unfortunately, people actually fish through our trash cans for receipts, find one with a good enough item (usually around $20-$30), come into the store and grab said item off the shelf, then return it for the cash.

So as a retail worker, red flags for returns include crumpled/dirty receipts, receipts from other locations, and demanding cash/claiming to not have the original card on them.

I wonder if the OP has considered potential identity theft. I mean, scanning her ID indicated seven returns, but a conversation with Customer Service (which had no way to run a kID scan but was able to search by her name) provided entirely different information.

I doubt identity theft.
I had to give the woman the number on my ID not just my name.

At the store I work at, we don't have a set number of "too many returns", but we do keep an eye on things. If we see the same person returning things regularly, we're supposed to call a manager over the next time.

Unfortunately, people actually fish through our trash cans for receipts, find one with a good enough item (usually around $20-$30), come into the store and grab said item off the shelf, then return it for the cash.

So as a retail worker, red flags for returns include crumpled/dirty receipts, receipts from other locations, and demanding cash/claiming to not have the original card on them.

Of course I don't think that you think I was trying to pull one over on them but I just waned to let you know that since I had zero interest in being in the store longer than needed I walked in and directly back to this woman that could see me walk in the door because its a straight shot from the door to cash register at that VS.
I had a nice crisp clean receipt and I actually had paid in cash so you're darn right i demanded cash back.

Thinking about it I bet that she was annoyed that something not even purchased at her location was going to be "held against her" so that's why she said they must have measured me wrong and wanted to measure me and make me try on and exchange because then she would not have a return on her "record" or something.

Hmm I worked retail from age 16 to age 22 and nope crumpled/dirty receipts and demanding cash/claiming to not have the original card on them was never ever told to us as red flags.

I'm thinking of all the times my husband just crumples up receipts and puts them into his pocket or his cup holder in his car...I guess at your store he would be considered suspect.....heck I'm not always good about keeping receipts either nicely folded or not creased and lord knows my purse somehow gets stuff in it and if the receipts are just thrown in there then they get dirty.

I worked for JCP, Max/Rave (bought by BCBG and I left as the acquisition was taking place), Spirit Halloween (for 3 years and had a high rate of theft especially being in a college town-people love their Playboy and Leg Avenue costumes lol) as well as DSW and then finally KU Bookstore (part of working for the University).

The OP's situation isn't a red flag in all of my training. The return policy as far as undergarments can come into play for certain items and certain stores but in VS's case I see no issue with a customer wanting to return a bra with the tag on it and a receipt.

ETA: The cash thing you mentioned is sorta funny because there are places that I've shopped at where if you paid as a debt instead of credit on your bank card and returned the item they gave you cash instead because that was their policy...so paying with cash for an item and then wanting to return an item and get cash back (as long as within the rules for returning) shouldn't as a general thing be a red flag.

Last edited:
I guess there were times when return policies were a little bit lax. I remember once it was the day of a college physics final and I had left my calculators at home. I did have the one page cheat sheet that we were allowed to make and use during the test, and I learned how to write really small. However, I didn't have a credit card but I did have some money. I went in the student store asking if maybe they had calculators for rent. The clerk (also a student) actually suggested that I just buy it, put it back in the box, and return it for a refund. I was a college student without any income, so I did just that, although I felt a little bit guilty about it.

Once I had a summer/part time job I probably would have just bought it and kept it.

I guess there were times when return policies were a little bit lax. I remember once it was the day of a college physics final and I had left my calculators at home. I did have the one page cheat sheet that we were allowed to make and use during the test, and I learned how to write really small. However, I didn't have a credit card but I did have some money. I went in the student store asking if maybe they had calculators for rent. The clerk (also a student) actually suggested that I just buy it, put it back in the box, and return it for a refund. I was a college student without any income, so I did just that, although I felt a little bit guilty about it.

Once I had a summer/part time job I probably would have just bought it and kept it.

Confession time: While in college, I bought one of those early 80's boom boxes to take on spring break. I was very careful with it, saved the receipt, and returned it for a refund after the break was over. :o:guilty:

My DD17 tried to return a bra to our local VS/Pink store a couple years ago. I was with her but I wanted her to do the transaction by herself. They demanded a driver's license. She came to find me and I went up to the counter and said, "This girl is 15. She doesn't drive." They then demanded a state ID. I said, "You've got to be kidding!" and asked for the manager. They were suddenly able to process the return. We still shop there because my DD still likes Pink, but I still remember how jerky they were about a valid return.

A few years ago I bought a shirt at Kohl's. They had one left in my size, but it didn't have a tag with the barcode and price on it. It only had a tag with the brand name. It was probably returned by someone else, but looked (and smelled) new so I still wanted it. I took the shirt, along with an identical one in another size, up to the cashier. She thanked me for bringing the other shirt so she could scan the tag. I shopped at another store later and found a shirt in the same color that I liked better. So, I went off to Kohl's to return the price tag-less shirt.

I explained to the guy in customer service that I had bought the shirt without the price tag. It was listed on my receipt with the amount I paid. I just wanted a credit back to my card. He explained that I needed to leave the tag on the shirt if I intended to return it. I said, yes I am aware, but I purchased this shirt without the tag (probably my mistake, but the cashier who sold it to me did the transaction with no problem). The guy said, "Well, now I have to call the women's department and confirm that the item number on your receipt matches this shirt. That's why you need to leave the tag on." I said, "I understand, but as I stated, I purchased the shirt without the price tag." Then he said, "I'm on hold while they check. But if you had left the tag on this wouldn't take so long." Either he didn't listen to a word I said or my voice doesn't make sound when I talk so I just stopped talking to him. I looked behind me and there wasn't a soul in line behind me. I didn't mind waiting, but apparently he minded having to do a little work. The women's department confirmed that the shirt matched the one listed on my receipt. He credited my account. I said thanks and walked away.

Kohl's is "supposed to" have the UPC number in tiny print on the interior care tag of every article of clothing they sell. Not the bar code, nor the price, but the 12 digit number so it can be manually keyed in at the register.

I recently returned a defective item to the Disney Store.com the same day as I received it in the mail. I talked to the CM online, she said they would do a credit not refund?! They sent an email credit to shop online.

I recently returned a defective item to the Disney Store.com the same day as I received it in the mail. I talked to the CM online, she said they would do a credit not refund?! They sent an email credit to shop online.
Here's their return policy; you might read through it to see if your situation called for a merchandise credit versus a refund.

upload_2017-5-30_19-30-20.png
upload_2017-5-30_19-31-25.png
upload_2017-5-30_19-31-53.png
upload_2017-5-30_19-32-22.png

Op I would have felt the same way as you if I felt mistreated returning an item. Unless there was some stated non return policy, I would have just expected a simple return as you expected.
Not sure what that cashiers issue was but I would have asked for her name (If no ID tag worn ( and I've noticed of late that more and more people flip them over so customers can't even see the name)
Regardless, if I felt the way u did I'd certainly write a note to corporate explaining what happened and your dis-satisfaction.
Power is yours, don't shop there any more, post ur situation alerting others ( as you did) and/or write or call and alert them of the poor handling.
Glad u got ur cash back!

My DD17 tried to return a bra to our local VS/Pink store a couple years ago. I was with her but I wanted her to do the transaction by herself. They demanded a driver's license. She came to find me and I went up to the counter and said, "This girl is 15. She doesn't drive." They then demanded a state ID. I said, "You've got to be kidding!" and asked for the manager. They were suddenly able to process the return. We still shop there because my DD still likes Pink, but I still remember how jerky they were about a valid return.
Our Pink is the same way. They wouldn't let DD (15at the time) return something until I was there with a license. Ridiculous and I haven't bought anything else there since.

Just before Christmas last year I ordered a pair of brown boots from Kohl's - they arrived black! But the receipt and order showed brown. I called and was told I could return. Went to the store and there was a huge hassle because of the color. Over 1/2 hour at costumer service they finally gave in and exchanged for the brown or my other option was store credit at the sale price since the receipt didn't match the product, which was less then what I had paid.

A few years ago DH was looking at the shoes at Kohl's. He saw a style he liked and found the box for his size. Upon opening the box, it was blatantly obvious that the shoes had been worn and returned. And not just worn once or twice. They were casual shoes with soles that looked like tire treads. The treads were worn down in spots and had all manner of debris wedged into them.
Inside the tongue on the upper, the printing on the label showing size and other information was barely legible.

For such a situation, Kohl's shouldn't have accepted the return. Or if they wanted to do so for goodwill reasons, destroy them, don't put them back on the sales floor. Or at least put them in the 80% off clearance section.

Most likely they were left by someone who wore new shoes out without paying for them.

Most likely they were left by someone who wore new shoes out without paying for them.

That's why a lot of expensive shoes have security tags on them. I've tried on shoes that were kind of difficult to get a good feel because the tag was placed through on of the shoelace eyelets.

Haven't read the entire thread, but have heard that VS employees are on quotas and must sell a certain amount in order to not get in trouble. That's why if you are helped by someone (sizing, finding something, etc), you should tell the cashier at the front who you were helped by so that they can get a check off to meet their quota.

So any pushiness is probably from them needing to hit quota, just like Target and constantly pushing their Redcard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter