Have you ever been given a hard time when trying to return an item at a store? Somewhat of a vent.

So you stole from Target? For a relatively low cost item, if I couldn't store them anymore, I'd give them away and if no one else needed them, toss them. Much better than cheating a retailer and driving prices up for everyone else to cover my theft.

How is what that poster did stealing from Target? He gave Target items they could re-sell, Target gave him a store credit (not cash) for their current retail price of the oil filters. If Target felt they were being cheated, they wouldn't have performed the transaction.

So you stole from Target? For a relatively low cost item, if I couldn't store them anymore, I'd give them away and if no one else needed them, toss them. Much better than cheating a retailer and driving prices up for everyone else to cover my theft.

No. I bought three from Target and returned three. I also bought a few of the same type from another store but had no idea which one was bought from where. This was over 20 years ago, and their policy has changed. They were all in perfect condition. I've seen returned items that had been switched with used contents. I'll usually check the box before buying.

Not at a store, but:

My DirecTV remote started acting up. I'd have to "jiggle" it to make it respond, changing batteries didn't help. Now, I have the DirecTV replacement plan insurance policy thing*, so I figured they'd just send me a new one. Wrong. The woman on the other end insisted on talking me through reprogramming it. I told her I'd be doing no such thing, and since I have the insurance plan, howz about you just send me a new one? We went back & forth like this before I realized I was getting nowhere. I just bought my own off eBay.

*That insurance policy came in totes handy when lightning struck my house and blew up my DVR a few weeks ago.

I have to say I think VS USED to have cute stuff. I can't say anything they have appeals to me anymore. I used to absolutely love their jeans and tank tops but they got rid of all their clothing (except for ugly work out clothes, pajamas, and swimsuits) a few years ago. I work outside in the summer so I need a plain cotton, unlined, underwire bra. VS does not sell anything made of cotton anymore. There is absolutely nothing functional on their website. It's all about form which I guess is what they are going for but who wears lacy see through things every day?

I don't shop there anymore because they got rid of all the things I liked. Maybe they will bring some of them back someday.

They don't sell those cotton bras anymore? That's too bad! That's the only think I bought there- hard to cute ones.

How is what that poster did stealing from Target? He gave Target items they could re-sell, Target gave him a store credit (not cash) for their current retail price of the oil filters. If Target felt they were being cheated, they wouldn't have performed the transaction.

I don't know if they were resold, but some of them were purchased at Target. They had an extremely generous policy, and I wouldn't have randomly picked something I didn't need purchased elsewhere to get store credit. I had actually bought several from Target but I had either lost the receipts and/or it was past the return period for a cash refund. Their policy was obviously meant to address lost receipts, unwanted gifts, or late returns. They also asked for ID, and it's obviously meant for serial returners.

I had no idea, but they did discontinue this brand (GM's AC) within a few months. I noticed when the clearance price tags started going on the items. They barely even sell auto parts any more, when they used to have oil/air filters, dozens of motor oil brands, and even car batteries.

I have returned to Target with no receipt. They scanned my cc, then scanned the item I was returning and the receipt came up in their system. refunded my card in about 1 minute. I thought that was pretty efficient. This was probably 4 months ago, I think.

In my case I believe I had purchased with cash, although I'm not 100% sure. However, I was OK with store credit.

My wife is a serial returner though, but she always keeps receipts. I guess the one that is the most restrictive is all the Gap brands including Banana Republic. There are maybe 7 days to get a full refund of the purchase price under any circumstance. Then there's maybe a 30 day return where the return can only be for the current price. So if it's gone to clearance and/or there's a sale, the current price will reduce the return amount, even if the sale will be over the next day.

In my case I believe I had purchased with cash, although I'm not 100% sure. However, I was OK with store credit.

My wife is a serial returner though, but she always keeps receipts. I guess the one that is the most restrictive is all the Gap brands including Banana Republic. There are maybe 7 days to get a full refund of the purchase price under any circumstance. Then there's maybe a 30 day return where the return can only be for the current price. So if it's gone to clearance and/or there's a sale, the current price will reduce the return amount, even if the sale will be over the next day.
I return to the gap all the time. That's not their return policy. You have 45 days to do your return with your receipt or if they can pull it up on your card. After that it's the price you pay. No receipt or they can't find it on your card you get credit for the current price. Tell your wife to keep her reciepts.
You do have about a week for price adjustments but those e different than returns

They don't sell those cotton bras anymore? That's too bad! That's the only think I bought there- hard to cute ones.

I know. I loved those. It's a ridiculous story but my mom asked to borrow one of my bras once so I gave her one of those and she just raved about it. Said it was the most comfortable bra she had every worn and wanted to know where she could get them so I searched high and low and VS does not sell any cotton lingerie anymore. Nobody really sells cotton anymore. I have to go to Walmart and get Hanes or something like that because no companies sell cotton bras. I have no idea why not.

A few years ago DH was looking at the shoes at Kohl's. He saw a style he liked and found the box for his size. Upon opening the box, it was blatantly obvious that the shoes had been worn and returned. And not just worn once or twice. They were casual shoes with soles that looked like tire treads. The treads were worn down in spots and had all manner of debris wedged into them.
Inside the tongue on the upper, the printing on the label showing size and other information was barely legible.

For such a situation, Kohl's shouldn't have accepted the return. Or if they wanted to do so for goodwill reasons, destroy them, don't put them back on the sales floor. Or at least put them in the 80% off clearance section.

I return to the gap all the time. That's not their return policy. You have 45 days to do your return with your receipt or if they can pull it up on your card. After that it's the price you pay. No receipt or they can't find it on your card you get credit for the current price. Tell your wife to keep her reciepts.
You do have about a week for price adjustments but those e different than returns

I didn't do the return, so I was just going off of my memory. It might have been after the regular return period, but I do remember my wife carefully considering if it was worth it to just get back the sale price when she paid more.

Because giving someone money or store credit for something they never paid for, and then possibly reselling it, which they can't always is not a break even for the retailer.

Because giving someone money or store credit for something they never paid for, and then possibly reselling it, which they can't always is not a break even for the retailer.

Target, whose policy is the only thing that matters, obviously felt differently when the transaction took place.

I bought maybe three of them from Target, two from an auto parts store, and put them together on a shelf and used a couple. I didn't have the receipts and took three to Target. Their policy was pretty clear. Heck - I'm pretty sure they discontinued the policy because they know some people would buy stuff cheaper elsewhere (or on sale at Target) and try to return it.

This is why I never shop at Target. Way back when, right after the first Target opened in our area, I purchased a bunch of stuff. One item, inside the plastic packaging, was smashed pretty good. I went back with receipt and just wanted an exchange for an unbroken item. You would have thought I was asking for gold! The clerk looked down her nose and said "well it WAS on sale!" and "how do I know YOU didn't break it" until I had to get a manager and got my lousy $9 back. Never returned since!

I didn't do the return, so I was just going off of my memory. It might have been after the regular return period, but I do remember my wife carefully considering if it was worth it to just get back the sale price when she paid more.

Like Gracie09 said, you have 45 days for a full refund. You only need the receipt or they can look up the purchase with the card you used. If it's outside of 45 days, you will receive the current selling price. Banana Republic also puts some final sale items in their sale racks (I'm not sure about the other two). The good cashiers will normally point out that it can't be returned before you finish checking out, but it's also noted on the tag.

Personally
I recently started purchase bras from Victoria's Secret.
I bought my 4th one ever the other day. Brought it home and decided it wasn't working for me so today with tags still on and receipt in hand I went to return it and have my cash refunded to me.
The woman was trying to push me to try on a bunch more bras and just do an exchange. This was supposed to be a quick stop and then I was going home to relax so I was not at all interested in trying anything on so I politely said I just wanted to return for today.
She asked for my ID so I gave it to her and scanned it or something and told me I had reached my 7 limit return allotment.
I told her that this was only the 4th item and 1st return I have ever made with them.
She wanted to argue with me about it so I told her she better figure it out because I was not leaving without my cash.
She finally said that she'd let it "slide" this time and I got my money back.
When I got home I called the customer service number and told them the situation. They transferred me to the 3rd party company that keeps track of the return allowance.
I gave them the info on my ID and they verified I had never returned anything.
If this is gonna be the situation if I want to return an item in the future I guess I will just find another company to do business with.

Anyone else ever have a hard time returning an item to a store?

Personally, I think it is poor customer service to place a cap on the amount of returns. I get its a pain on their end to deal with many returns, but on the other hand, I feel that a great clothing company would understand that sometimes we try things on in stores & then come home & think differently.

I had a hard time returning a pair of winter boots to the LL Bean store this year (not the online store). The boots broke after one season of use &, while I wore then often during this one season, I would not say I was rough on them. I was only interested in an exchange for a new pair of the same boots. Woman gave me a hard time & tried to cite "normal wear & tear." For the price I paid, they should not have broken after a few months of use. LL Bean also has a Satisfaction Guarantee Policy, which I have utilized in the past with zero issue. The woman continued to give me a hard time, and I politely asked to speak to her manager. She stated she was the manager. I asked for her name so I could call the corporate headquarters & she also said she will "let it slide." That bothered me, as she was not doing me any special favors by following her own company's policy. I ended up sending a letter to the corporate office, citing the manager's name. I heard back from them & they send me a letter apologizing & included a gift card. That was generous, but I really just wanted them to honor their policy.

Well - it was some adhesive-backed backless bra. I guess the photographer recommended it because because straps would show through the dress. My wife didn't even take it out of the box, and the adhesive was intact.

BTW - you know how it feels for a guy to be walking into VS asking for something like that?

My dh would rather be tarred and feathered before he'd let me send him on a errand like that!!! :rotfl2:How did your dw manage that one??

I've always heard that Nordstrom supposedly has a very generous return policy. There was that story from 30 years ago where a store associate accepted a set or tires for return, even though Nordstrom doesn't sell tires.

That tires returned to Nordstrom tale is a legend, and has never been confirmed nor denied. There are about a dozen variations of the story, with varying details.

In any event, even if true, any store that would accept a set of tires for return when they don't sell them tells me it's a store I need to avoid, that they're ridiculously overpriced to begin with. In Nordstrom's case, this is true. $425 mud stained jeans, anyone?

BTW since I have only shopped there a few times starting in December of last year and this was my first return I really had no clue that they destroyed everything even if it still had tags and therefore was never worn for more than a try on length of time.
In the future I would be very careful to not purchase an item that I may want to return.

Never heard of stores doing that! What's the difference in trying them on at the store, or taking them home to try them. They're freely put back on the store shelves all the time from the dressing rooms. I've never heard of those practices - not saying it doesn't/hasn't happened at some stores - seems pretty drastic to me!

Target, whose policy is the only thing that matters, obviously felt differently when the transaction took place.
Or 20 years ago a clerk screwed up. Taking back from a store that you never gave them in the first place is stealing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter