Have you ever attended a Convention

I've attended several, as my most recent jobs have been for non-profits who hold their own conventions. I used to work for a nationally known mentoring organization, and attended/worked their conventions in Denver and St. Louis. I currently work for a medical association now and have attended/worked various medical-related conventions in Miami, Boston, Washington, D.C., and San Diego. I have to say that I prefer simply attending over working them, but that's rare.
DH is in a line of work where he has often had to work trade shows. They're a gruelling nightmare. :crazy:

Last edited:
DH is in a line of work where he has often had to work trade shown. They're a gruelling nightmare. :crazy:
They are! We work non-stop--up at 5am, on our feet ALL DAY, and we don't get to bed until 11pm or later. It's very stressful! We do get some nice meals while we're away and a bit of downtime, but it's simply not worth it. Plus I have a chronic illness, and my body can't take it--especially when we are in different time zones. I'm currently looking for a new job because I'd like to get away from attending the conferences.

We've been going to San Diego Comic Con every year since the 80's. Been to Gen Con when then had it in Anaheim one year, a local comic/geek convention for the past 2 years. We've been to all of the D23 conventions they've had so far although this year it is the weekend before Comic Con so we have to skip.

For work, I've been to a software QA convention that was at the Disneyland Hotel. I went to *most* of the panels. :)

Depends on what we define as conventions. I used to go to the Episcopal Diocsese of Ohio annual Convention and speak in high school. Been to a couple music ones. Beyond that, if we are including academic conferences, I've been to probably a dozen or so more between the International Great Lakes Conference, Photgrametric and Remote Sensing Conferences, Lake Management Conferences, and Geology ones.

I've gone a few times to Leakycon/Geekycon, which is a Harry Potter and general fan convention. It's a bit of a community and I am happily part of it. It was also in Orlando the past few years, what a shame to have to go there!

This weekend, I am going to NerdCon, which is a similar type event- a convention for geeky people.

On the work side, I've been to APA, which is the psychology research conference. In the future, I'll attend NASP, which is the conference for school psychologists (my field). I'm so mad- the NASP conference was in Orlando in 2015, the year before I entered grad school in the field!

Too many to list. I'm a con geek! I usually hit 2-3 cons a year. Most are for gaming, anime or toy collecting.

sailorstitch

A few. One professional, mostly because it happened to be in Orlando although I had such a good time that I do plan to go again (Anaheim 2017!). A couple of years of Youmacon, which is an anime convention in Detroit. Motor City Comic Con once. Planning on my first political conference and a local professional conference next month, and hoping to make it to Walker Stalker Con (Walking Dead) at some point but the cities that work always seem to be on dates that don't and vice versa so it probably won't be in 2017.

Yes, trade shows and conventions for my line of business at my previous job. Also, annual conventions for a different job/field back in my 20's.

I go to at least two professional conventions every year. Ours are crazy-busy, with meetings and programs scheduled from 8 am until after 10 pm -- no noon exodus to the golf courses in this job.

Following this post as I am in the process of planning a business event at WDW...More of a class/training than a conference, but hoping to find some insight here re: likes/dislikes, planning tips, etc

Yes (IHS - International Homebuilders' Show). It's a HUGE convention with 10's of 1,000's of delegates so there's only a few places big enough to hold it. I've been to Dallas a couple of times (1998 they had Margaret Thatcher as the keynote speaker - wow, mindblown!). I've also been to it in Vegas, which I loathe {{shudder}} but Michael Eisner was the keynote at that one; he was kind of cool. The show was in Orlando this year and wouldn't you know my company is in a discretionary-spending freeze so nobody was sent.

The thing I hate most is that although I am a geek and actually like things like lectures, plenary sessions and forums, most of my colleagues see the trip as a paid holiday. I end up being the only one actually attending the convention, and have to "take notes" so everybody else can cheat the executive summaries we inevitably have to give when we return. Now if we'd gone to Orlando this year I would have totally turned the tables...:earsgirl:

Next year, you get your wish.

In the 80s Philadelphia was sort of a hot spot for Sci-Fi, especially Doctor Who. I spent most of the decade going to the old Creation Conventions, who always had the best panels with most of the Doctor Who stars. I also went to Gallifrey One in Los Angeles in 2004, another Doctor Who con. Never went to a work-related convention.

For work, yes.

Most have been local or within driving distance, but I have flown to several as well.

I don't go to them if I have a choice. I can't stand them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter