Have you become SOLO SPOILED?

I am definitely spoiled going solo these days. I even do my Disney cruises solo most of the time. I just have a much more enjoyable time going by myself. Every few years I attempt a trip with someone and realize that I prefer to go alone. If I could find a travel partner(s) that loves Disney like I do and is willing to compromise on things, I would be happy to find that person/people. Until then, I am great at doing my own thing.

It depends on the focus of my trip. I love doing the Garden Show and all the tea time things alone. But love DH when we do Wine and Food Party for the Senses or New Year's Eve at the Contemporary. He is not a shopper so I shop alone even when traveling together. I am a go back to the park at night to see fireworks and will do alone. He likes cocktails and to decompress and just r and r each evening. We compromise and have a great time together.

I have been going solo for years, along with trips with either all 4 or us, or just with my daughters and me. I love my solo trips. I have no inner turmoil about doing things by myself. Over the years, it has gotten better with society accepting woman traveling alone. There used to be a stigma with "how can you leave your family", like men never did that. I am happy to read about all of the other woman that are doing what they want to do. I think learning to be alone is important, especially for young woman. My girls are getting to the age where they will be looking to move out and I encourage them to go out on their own. I feel spoiled being able to go to WDW so often, not because I go solo, but just because I am able to go. I see going solo that same as going with someone else. A vacation is a vacation.

I think I would HATE going by myself. Like it sounds good in theory, and I might like it for a day. But I need at least one person who I could be with at least part of the day. Like I always think how much I would love to just go to a hotel and spend a day by myself. Yet the couple of times I've had to travel for work, 30 mins in the room and I miss my kids and want to talk to someone. Now I do enjoy trips with just my husband, and I can't wait to be able to do Disney with just the 2 of us.

OMG, going to WDW by myself - absolutely solo - is my dream! I've never done it, but it's on my bucket list.

That being said, I love going to WDW with just my husband. It's a totally different experience from going with the kids and going with friends. He and I have gone a couple of times together and it's always a great time.

We did our first family trip in 2016, and we went with close friends and their kids. It was an interesting experience. We still absolutely love those friends, but I don't think we'd ever do another trip with them (nor do I think they'd ever want to do one with us). They had family members who let them use their vacation timeshare for free, and they invited us to stay there with them. Their objectives in the parks were different from ours. Our parenting choices annoyed them, their parenting choices annoyed us. All around, I wish we had done lots of things differently so that both our families would have had better experiences in the parks.

But y'all solo'ers.. I love you guys. You are living my dream!

I like to go with other people, and when I’m at Disney World, Disneyland, or Universal with others, i‘m always concerned that they are having a good time and make sure we’re doing what they want to do.

But I love solo travel. It’s not that I never get lonely or that I feel disconnected from my friends. But I’m at my most relaxed by myself. In the past I would never have considered going to WDW alone. But I had so much fun while in Orlando on business (and took some free time to visit Epcot and AK), that I have now gone back several times specifically to enjoy the parks and resorts on my own.

Absolutely! Once I took a solo trip I became Solo Spoiled pretty much immediately (I'm stealing this term, love it!). I do really enjoy going with my husband but I'd rather go solo than, say, with my sister. The lower cost is nice when you split a hotel but besides that I feel like I'm always working to keep the other people happy or waiting for them to get going, keep up with me, etc. I'm always on the same page with my travel partner when I go alone. ;P

I know the feeling. I do several solo trips a year. And adore them. I much prefer them over trips when the family would go.

I don't even talk about my trips to anyone because I don't want them to try and invite themselves. I repeatedly have to remind my husband not to talk about Disney trips. I don't want people to know when I am there ( or when he joins me).

Now that my kids are grown my husband likes to join me on weekends during my solo trips so I only get a couple of days to myself. I find it frustrating because these trips were just for me to get away from everyone for 5 days.
But I'm doing my best to adapt since this is how it will be from now on.

I'm hoping I will still enjoy my upcoming trip - I've got a knee injury and will have to be in a scooter in the parks and I'll be solo for a few days before my husband joins me again. It will be interesting for sure.
Definitely identify with not even telling people. Your are Class A spoiled. Just what I'm talking about!

I like to go with other people, and when I’m at Disney World, Disneyland, or Universal with others, i‘m always concerned that they are having a good time and make sure we’re doing what they want to do.

But I love solo travel. It’s not that I never get lonely or that I feel disconnected from my friends. But I’m at my most relaxed by myself. In the past I would never have considered going to WDW alone. But I had so much fun while in Orlando on business (and took some free time to visit Epcot and AK), that I have now gone back several times specifically to enjoy the parks and resorts on my own.

It was the DISBOARDS that convinced me to try it the first time in 2015. I couldn't imagine doing it alone, even as an introvert. Now I know it's the BEST way for me to go!

We're couple spoiled - we love to go just the 2 of us. Our daughters want to do a family vacation and geez ....
Yes, I was in sync with my Ex-husband as well. When you're in a healthy and respectful relationship there isn't much incompatibility drama.

Very much so. I usually ask others if they want to go. I am covering accommodation via DVC which is the largest cost I think, but seldom get takers. I have gotten used to doing it on my own and enjoying myself. I have been many times, so if I go into the park and ride just one attraction and head back to my unit, that is my call.

Very much so. I usually ask others if they want to go. I am covering accommodation via DVC which is the largest cost I think, but seldom get takers. I have gotten used to doing it on my own and enjoying myself. I have been many times, so if I go into the park and ride just one attraction and head back to my unit, that is my call.

Yeah. That would cause an uproar for sure. lol. But I hear you and that's how I feel. And the main part is that I am happy as the dickens. I am not wanting for partnership in ANY of my WDW vacation experiences.

I have always wondered what it would be like to go solo! The thing that holds me back is thinking about entertaining myself without conversation in a super long line, or doing dining in table service by myself.

Though...the thought of not having to share my Dole Whip sounds heavenly!

DS and I have been going by ourselves for more than 10 trips. We are in sync and we know what we like to do in the park. Some days, we only do a tour and come back to the resort and rest up by the pool until our dinner ADR. Some days, we rope drop to do a few rides and eat lunch somewhere in the park. It's different each day and we don't really plan too much. At times, we have some of our friends or family members tag along and we realized that we hate it. Absolutely hate it. They tend to move slower than us and we need to constantly stop and ask 'what they want to do.' I guess we are spoiled that way, we prefer our Disney trips by ourselves. We are finally returning (covid-scare) this May and we are again going by ourselves. We know that despite all the limitations and closures, we won't miss too much since we've done them in the past and just grateful that we could finally return to the WDW. Since we skipped vacation last year due to Covid, we decided to splurge and booked a Premium room (1 room suite) for 8 nights at Dolphin.

DS and I have been going by ourselves for more than 10 trips. We are in sync and we know what we like to do in the park. Some days, we only do a tour and come back to the resort and rest up by the pool until our dinner ADR. Some days, we rope drop to do a few rides and eat lunch somewhere in the park. It's different each day and we don't really plan too much. At times, we have some of our friends or family members tag along and we realized that we hate it. Absolutely hate it. They tend to move slower than us and we need to constantly stop and ask 'what they want to do.' I guess we are spoiled that way, we prefer our Disney trips by ourselves. We are finally returning (covid-scare) this May and we are again going by ourselves. We know that despite all the limitations and closures, we won't miss too much since we've done them in the past and just grateful that we could finally return to the WDW. Since we skipped vacation last year due to Covid, we decided to splurge and booked a Premium room (1 room suite) for 8 nights at Dolphin.

Nice. Enjoy!
I have also delayed due to Covid (now booked for MAY 2022)... but thinking about Late Oct/Nov 2022 instead - when those dates open up. And also doing a splurge as well... half POP and half GF.

I have always wondered what it would be like to go solo! The thing that holds me back is thinking about entertaining myself without conversation in a super long line, or doing dining in table service by myself.

Though...the thought of not having to share my Dole Whip sounds heavenly!

I’d worried about this my first solo trip. I realized I’m pretty content being a people watcher in line yet I couldn’t bring myself to do table service that trip. But by second trip I did two and enjoyed the extra time the servers spent talking with me and some extra special treatment from them. Also I’ve had meals paid for me when I’m the “hitchhiker” at Sci-Fi 😊

Yes, Yes, a thousand times yes.

In RL, I have to be super social-this is not my personality in general. I am jealously possessive of my time when I am not working-I don't want to have to take other people's wants and needs into account. If I want to sleep in, I do. If I want to rope drop, I can. Most importantly, I can just be silent and take things in without worrying if someone else is having a good time.Selfish? Yes. Will there be an apology for that? Not a chance.

While I have traveled all over by myself, I think that WDW is probably one of the easiest to do so. Transportation is safe and plentiful, there are lots of dining options and I feel safe as a solo traveler. Yes, there is crime, and one should always be aware of their surroundings. That said, I have been to WDW probably a dozen times or more solo and have never had an issue. People have been friendly when I want to talk to someone, and the Cast Members have always been top notch.

Looking forward to my upcoming trip this fall. Hope to see some of you solo travelers there!

I used to be the family trip planner and it’s difficult to accommodate everyone’s likes, dislikes, requests, and touring styles. As much as I enjoy the planning aspect, trying to make everyone happy is tough! Making only myself happy isn’t tough at all. I have made four solo trips to date and will hopefully take my fifth later this year (after canceling two trips in 2020). I feel that I live most of my real life for other people, so I have no guilt over being Solo Spoiled.

I’d worried about this my first solo trip. I realized I’m pretty content being a people watcher in line yet I couldn’t bring myself to do table service that trip. But by second trip I did two and enjoyed the extra time the servers spent talking with me and some extra special treatment from them. Also I’ve had meals paid for me when I’m the “hitchhiker” at Sci-Fi 😊

Wait... what the heck is the hitchhiker???? Sci Fi is my must go to for every visit and I have never heard of this! Do explain! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter