• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Have you become SOLO SPOILED?

LadyDiznee123

DIS Veteran
Hello Fellow DisNerds:

I am just wondering how many others have done the oh-so-refreshing Solo trek to WDW, and have become so spoiled by it that the thought of doing it with others prompts you to frown and think... "...Uhmm... No."

I think that I am to that point right now. I know how I like my trips.
I delight in my Magical Express Airport entry and ride to my resort.
I love doing a quick freshening up on arrival day and heading out to the park on my itinerary.
I love my ADR Ressies, my quick service stops, my Character Meals, my must-do burgers at SciFi Dine In, and my Commando 17 hour days from rope drop to kiss good night.
If I decide to linger in one place for a while, I don't have to look to someone else's wants, needs, or financial / physical limitations.

Every once in a while I think, Oh maybe so and so might want to go, and then I think... No. They will not be in sync with me. This translates into being SPOILED... You can't imagine compromising on how you want to do things.

If anyone asks to go, I warn them about how I do it and that if you are not in sync with me that we won't enjoy ourselves. One or the both of us will be left unhappy. For the thousands of dollars that you are dishing out, you should not be left unhappy and neither should your travel partner.

At this juncture, I do not foresee myself having a travel partner until I foster to adopt or adopt my two little girls (probably happening in a couple of years), in which case I will be HAPPY to switch from Adult Commando to Small Child mode. Or a romantic partner. I first did WDW with my Ex husband and we were always in sync. When I go with my next partner, I am willing to compromise with regard to our touring desires as long as he is ALSO willing to compromise. If I don't see that compromise come to pass, I will RETURN to Solo visits sans my "Boo."

Just an interesting thought since I could not imagine doing Disney SOLO until I joined this forum. I did it, and now I don't want to do it any other way.

Yes, a thousand times yes! While I do love the annual trips with my sorority sisters, my solo trips are sacred! My next trip is Monday and its actually the best mixture; On the first day, one of my sorority sisters and her husband are joining me at Epcot, but they are leaving the next day for a conference and it will just be me for three more days. I'm super pumped!

Yes, a thousand times yes! While I do love the annual trips with my sorority sisters, my solo trips are sacred! My next trip is Monday and its actually the best mixture; On the first day, one of my sorority sisters and her husband are joining me at Epcot, but they are leaving the next day for a conference and it will just be me for three more days. I'm super pumped!

Enjoy!
I don't get back to WDW until MAY 2022 for DISNEY50. Going Big - 2 Weeks. All by my lonesome. Can't wait!

Last edited:
I think this is me, during my life in general. I have always enjoyed my own company, and much prefer doing things solo.
I have had friends who could never grasp the concept of doing things on your own..be it dinner out, a movie, or a vacation to WDW. Last time I went alone I LOVED it, And I was not really alone....met and visited with many fellow travelers. I may not have interacted with them had I been with others.
One of my favorite memories from my 98 trip was in EPCOT. I had dinner there, and decided to find a place to wait for the Illumintions show...about 45 minutes early. I was sitting on a bench. A younger couple came and asked if they could sit with me. They were from New Orleans and we had a wonderful chat. We talked about our trip, where we were from, etc. I asked about what the locals did during Mardi Gras. They said there were a lot of things and events that celebrated it, but were not as touristy. It was a fun conversation.

Last edited:

I think this is me, during my life in general. I have always enjoyed my own company, and much prefer doing things solo.
I have had friends who could never grasp the concept of doing things on your own..be it dinner out, a movie, or a vacation to WDW. Last time I went alone I LOVED it, And I was not really alone....met and visited with many fellow travelers. I may not have interacted with them had I been with others.
One of my favorite memories from my 98 trip was in EPCOT. I had dinner there, and decided to find a place to wait for the Illumintions show...about 45 minutes early. I was sitting on a bench. A younger couple came and asked if they could sit with me. They were from New Orleans and we had a wonderful chat.We talked abut our trip, where we were from, etc. I asked about what the locals did during Mardi Gras. They said there were a lot of things and events that celebrated it, but were not as touristy. It was a fun conversation.

You sound like an INTROVERT which is exactly what I am, and so admittedly, being in my own company is rather easy and even preferred (not just at WDW). Because of this I do understand people who say they are afraid they won't enjoy themselves or KNOW that they won't enjoy themselves. Some people NEED to be with others, otherwise they feel empty and I certainly do not wish to ridicule that. We are all wired differently.

As for chatting it up with others... man oh man, I do it all the time. At all of the eateries, while standing in line, on all of the Disney transportation. I have a great time chatting with people, and what I like even better is that I get to smile, say goodbye and move on. But I have also met great people from here on the boards and we always meet up for a ride or a meal, a show, etc. But again. It makes for a fantastic portion of my day to share myself with others but for a limited time. I actually like and prefer that.

I like to advise all of the SOLO NEWBIES that if you have a big smile on your face people will notice you and be happy to engage you. If I sit next to somebody on a ride or on the bus... I am usually grinning from ear to ear. At the very least we share a hello. There's a great time to be had. Don't look self-conscious... just smile and enjoy. I even do signature dining and character meals alone. Guests are always helpful with pics, CM's treat me like I'm a queen. One time DALE spent an insane amount of time with me at EPCOT'S GARDEN GRILL dinner. I think it may have been that he saw I was alone and felt sorry for me or knew I had the time to engage him. lol.

Oddly enough there is only one thing that I'd prefer to have a partner for and that is THE MAD TEA PARTY TEACUPS RIDE. I always try to get a meet-up date for that. My next visit isn't until MAY 2022 -- so I won't be on the boards begging until sometime in April 2022. Smh. lol. (*_*)

Last edited:

I'm leaving tomorrow for a solo trip, 5 nights of just me. No "honey what do you want for supper" at 9 in the morning. How the heck do I know what I want for supper if I haven't even eaten breakfast? I need alone time so WDW is where I go, hubby gets his alone time and I get mine. Win/win.

Originally I had 4 nights and 5 day park hoppers and I convinced myself and hubby that I really should stay an extra night because I really wouldn't get good use out of the 5th day since I would need to leave by around noon to drive home. So, I booked another night.

I have my park reservations but not a single ADR booked. I've been checking every day and there is always something available for that day so I'm not worried. I plan on eating most of my meals at the F&G booths. That plan has already run into a small snag since it's supposed to rain most of tomorrow and they sometimes shut the booths down for that. It is actually the day I've booked Epcot so I'll wing it and either book an ADR when I get there or do QS or tap into Epcot and hop over to somewhere else. That's what good about solo, you can wing it to your hearts content. I usually take one trip a year with my adult son but he went and had a baby two days ago (well he didn't but you know what I mean). Little girl arrived a month ahead of time but she is doing fine. So now, I'm guessing I'll have to relearn how to go with a small one. Haven't done that in over 35 years.

I'm leaving tomorrow for a solo trip, 5 nights of just me. No "honey what do you want for supper" at 9 in the morning. How the heck do I know what I want for supper if I haven't even eaten breakfast? I need alone time so WDW is where I go, hubby gets his alone time and I get mine. Win/win.

Originally I had 4 nights and 5 day park hoppers and I convinced myself and hubby that I really should stay an extra night because I really wouldn't get good use out of the 5th day since I would need to leave by around noon to drive home. So, I booked another night.

I have my park reservations but not a single ADR booked. I've been checking every day and there is always something available for that day so I'm not worried. I plan on eating most of my meals at the F&G booths. That plan has already run into a small snag since it's supposed to rain most of tomorrow and they sometimes shut the booths down for that. It is actually the day I've booked Epcot so I'll wing it and either book an ADR when I get there or do QS or tap into Epcot and hop over to somewhere else. That's what good about solo, you can wing it to your hearts content. I usually take one trip a year with my adult son but he went and had a baby two days ago (well he didn't but you know what I mean). Little girl arrived a month ahead of time but she is doing fine. So now, I'm guessing I'll have to relearn how to go with a small one. Haven't done that in over 35 years.

ENJOY!

I don't necessarily have experience going Solo, but I have two travel partners that I like going with exclusively - my fiance and my best friend. And I don't really like traveling with more than one other person. I have a feeling I would really like a solo trip, but I haven't made that leap yet!

I don't necessarily have experience going Solo, but I have two travel partners that I like going with exclusively - my fiance and my best friend. And I don't really like traveling with more than one other person. I have a feeling I would really like a solo trip, but I haven't made that leap yet!

You will love it if you do it. Best time ever.

Yep, completely spoiled. And fortunate no one really ever even wants to try to go with me. In four weeks I’ll be on my eighth solo trip with 5 park days and 8 nights total. I’ll savor every second!

I haven’t done solo, but I did have to convince my children we don’t want anyone else, even extended family, on our Disney trips (and it wasn’t too hard to do- they were quickly swayed that others would make the trip miserable.) We have it down to a science and we have the ways we like to do things. We know how to plan, when we need to rush, when we can lollygag, etc. and since we have been doing that for nearly 10yrs now, all 4 of us in the family are in sync. I am not going to change that for someone else and I don’t think I would enjoy Disney with other people tagging along.

Yep, completely spoiled. And fortunate no one really ever even wants to try to go with me. In four weeks I’ll be on my eighth solo trip with 5 park days and 8 nights total. I’ll savor every second!
Yes. I've never had anyone ask to go either. Thank goodness! Enjoy!

I haven’t done solo, but I did have to convince my children we don’t want anyone else, even extended family, on our Disney trips (and it wasn’t too hard to do- they were quickly swayed that others would make the trip miserable.) We have it down to a science and we have the ways we like to do things. We know how to plan, when we need to rush, when we can lollygag, etc. and since we have been doing that for nearly 10yrs now, all 4 of us in the family are in sync. I am not going to change that for someone else and I don’t think I would enjoy Disney with other people tagging along.
Exactly! This "spoiled" thing isn't limited to Solo folk. When you and your crew are in sync, others can only foil the fun for you. A Disney vacation is a vacation with a million and one options. It can't be done well unless everyone is on the same page. That's hard to achieve. You and your family have it down pat, now your coworker and her kids want to join you...
Uhm.. No. Lol.

I'm definitely spoiled! I've been divorced for 20 years, but we were a Disney family. I frequently have meals, go to movies, and make beach trips by myself. My son is now grown and goes with his friends, with my coordinating a trip of mine with theirs occasionally. That being said, I love my solo trips! I lean toward being an Introvert, but I'm not anti-social. It's just none of my friends love Disney as I do, and I'm comfortable going on my own. There is always someone to chat with, and being able to experience the World at my own pace (fast or slow) is wonderful! It means too much to me to risk inviting someone that doesn't "get it." Enjoy your trips, everyone!!

I know the feeling. I do several solo trips a year. And adore them. I much prefer them over trips when the family would go.

I don't even talk about my trips to anyone because I don't want them to try and invite themselves. I repeatedly have to remind my husband not to talk about Disney trips. I don't want people to know when I am there ( or when he joins me).

Now that my kids are grown my husband likes to join me on weekends during my solo trips so I only get a couple of days to myself. I find it frustrating because these trips were just for me to get away from everyone for 5 days.
But I'm doing my best to adapt since this is how it will be from now on.

I'm hoping I will still enjoy my upcoming trip - I've got a knee injury and will have to be in a scooter in the parks and I'll be solo for a few days before my husband joins me again. It will be interesting for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter