Have to get a few things off my chest

I don't pay attention either! I'm too busy having fun to pay attention - I already feel like I miss out on so much so I really try to be conscious of my surroundings and all of the wonderful details in the parks. :) There are rude people everywhere, and they're rude for reasons we will never know. The one thing I know for sure is that a sincere smile coupled with a "hello" or an "excuse me" or some other friendly words almost always diffuses the rudeness. After all, even the rude people came to the parks to have fun. Also, I have my 6 year old granddaughter with me and I always try to think of how my behavior will affect her. If I get upset over other people being rude, she will too. If I set a nice example for her, she will hopefully learn from that.

In the past I've read other commentary from people who said they saw someone's AP, and that's how they knew that the person was an AP holder, or they saw the person using an AP discount. It got me thinking.

Maybe I'm the odd woman out here, but... not once, anytime that I have been at DLR, have I looked at what people were pulling out of their wallets, pockets, purses, pouches dangling from their necks, etc. It's never occurred to me to look, and I don't think I have ever even inadvertently seen what people were handing over to CMs -- unless they were actual friends/traveling companions of mine, with whom I was involved in conversation.

I don't think I have ever heard or listened to what people in front of me said they were using as far as using discounts either. The only way I would tune in to something like that is if I happened to be waiting in a really long line that seemed to be held up by one specific person, and I wanted to hear what the nature of the delay was -- but I can't even remember doing that in recent years.

Is everyone at DLR secretly paying attention to what we all -- AP holders and non-AP holders -- pay with, use for discounts, hand over to CMs, pull out of our wallets, etc.? :confused3 Am I missing out on some fun by not paying attention?

OK, one of the ladies said to CM (that she was yelling at) "I can't believe you are treating me this way, I'm an AP and come here all the time. I have never been treated like this before, its inexcusable, blah, blah, blah..." Another lady, "yes, I said I wanted to use my discount for AP - I already told you that, <expletive>. And then another told me, when I stepped in to calm her down because she was upset with a CM for no real reason, "Well, I'm just upset because as an AP, I would expect better service."

Yes, the other two I mentioned I heard them complain to their friend/relative about crap and say "all the times I have been here as an AP, I haven't seen this before..."

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures or video of the incidents - nor did I get a copy of their driver's licenses for further proof. My powers of observation only go so far. I will strive to document this issues in the future so I can make a better case to present.

However, let me again say - I don't believe all APs are jerks. It was funny/interesting that the jerks I ran into were mostly APs. Sorry if I offended others here - I do appreciate you sharing Disneyland with me and my family now and again. I will try and be more respectful in forth coming trips.

OK, one of the ladies said to CM (that she was yelling at) "I can't believe you are treating me this way, I'm an AP and come here all the time. I have never been treated like this before, its inexcusable, blah, blah, blah..." Another lady, "yes, I said I wanted to use my discount for AP - I already told you that, <expletive>. And then another told me, when I stepped in to calm her down because she was upset with a CM for no real reason, "Well, I'm just upset because as an AP, I would expect better service."

Yes, the other two I mentioned I heard them complain to their friend/relative about crap and say "all the times I have been here as an AP, I haven't seen this before..."

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures or video of the incidents - nor did I get a copy of their driver's licenses for further proof. My powers of observation only go so far. I will strive to document this issues in the future so I can make a better case to present.

However, let me again say - I don't believe all APs are jerks. It was funny/interesting that the jerks I ran into were mostly APs. Sorry if I offended others here - I do appreciate you sharing Disneyland with me and my family now and again. I will try and be more respectful in forth coming trips.

Wow. Okay.

OP, I understand. I am normally such a commando following my touring plan, that I like previous posters don't notice anyone else. But it sounds like it was really disturbing behavior you observed that just ruined the magic for all within earshot.

I'm glad you were able to see beyond those bad moments. :goodvibes

Last October I was shocked at the hour wait for HMH and 50 minute wait for PoC on a Monday. It's just crazy! And I think part of the problem is they aren't running the rides to capacity because they don't have the staff. Which is just unbelievable!! But we all keep putting up with it because there's nothing else like it out there, right? :sad2:

I'm going again for 1 day on Halloween with a hopper, and hoping it will be a stress-free day. Anyone ever been to DL on Halloween morning? :listen:

I know DCA will be a nightmare (crowd-wise) once DL closes at 7 for the party, but I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. :thumbsup2

I'm curious about this as well. We frequent the parks but are not pass holders yet. I've never been able to tell who has an AP and who doesn't. We can however usually spot newbies to the park! Its fun to see the excitement on peoples faces that have never seen or done something before.

I think OP just meant that sub-Premium APs crowd the parks in the fall after the various summer blockout days end.

I will say this HalloweenTime experience taught me to respect what my partner has long known--the importance of pool time! Even the first MHP this year was really crowded, as were adjacent days in the parks.

disneydadazut2 said:

However, let me again say - I don't believe all APs are jerks. It was funny/interesting that the jerks I ran into were mostly APs. Sorry if I offended others here - I do appreciate you sharing Disneyland wimth me and my family now and again. I will try and be more respectful in forth coming trips.

Im sorry that you had to witness a few bad instances of poor behavior. I can see how it would leave a bad impression. However, I have to say that I dont think your sarcastic response was necessary. I read most of this thread and don't see anything that would warrant that. The folks on this board are generally very friendly and helpful, and lots of them are AP holders. People in this thread (including myself) were genuinely wondering how you could tell the difference between pass holders and non pass holders. Just my two cents.

There are no down times any more. Its always crowded. You just have to show up early and know how to make the most of your day and be flexible in all matters.

I hear this a lot, but I don't think it's true. We were there in summer 2009 and it was insanely crowded. Then we did mid-November in 2011 and late-October last year and the crowds were very light on the weekdays of those two trips.

Also, if there are never any down times any more, wouldn't they have extended hours all year long?

Im sorry that you had to witness a few bad instances of poor behavior. I can see how it would leave a bad impression. However, I have to say that I dont think your sarcastic response was necessary. I read most of this thread and don't see anything that would warrant that. The folks on this board are generally very friendly and helpful, and lots of them are AP holders. People in this thread (including myself) were genuinely wondering how you could tell the difference between pass holders and non pass holders. Just my two cents.

Your indignation is duely noted. But this is a discussion board, and I appreciate reading about both the magical and not-so-magical. What is the purpose of any message board, if not to educate, inform, and opine?

Back to the topic, I believe it's ridiculous to expect special treatment because I chose to save some money and purchase a "get in cheap" pass. I guess you never grow out of Mean Girl.

I hear this a lot, but I don't think it's true. We were there in summer 2009 and it was insanely crowded. Then we did mid-November in 2011 and late-October last year and the crowds were very light on the weekdays of those two trips.

Also, if there are never any down times any more, wouldn't they have extended hours all year long?

My experience has been completely different from yours. I go about 30 days per year and in my opinion and the opinion of the cast members I know who work there, it has been much more crowded in the past two years.

gmi3804 said:
Your indignation is duely noted. But this is a discussion board, and I appreciate reading about both the magical and not-so-magical. What is the purpose of any message board, if not to educate, inform, and opine?

Back to the topic, I believe it's ridiculous to expect special treatment because I chose to save some money and purchase a "get in cheap" pass. I guess you never grow out of Mean Girl.

I don't think anyone said you couldn't discuss? I enjoyed your original post, and I think its important for people here to share the good and bad. In my case I have a problem with your continued sarcastic tone. I would suggest lightening up a bit. On here and in the parks. Who cares how a few pass holders behaved? Im sure we could all find just as many instances of guests using park hoppers saying similar things. After all, no matter how you get into the parks, it is expensive. With that will always come people who think they are entitled to something special. Can't let it bother you.

Long time lurker here..
I'd just like to say that discussions like these are why I like this site. I used to hang out at that other site but if a subject like this comes up people are more concerned about attacking or being attacked by others via a rep system than posting useful comments.
This site rocks! :cool1:

My family and I just got back from Disneyland - 4 days + Halloween Party. We had a great time, but we are exhausted. I just have a couple of good things I want to share, and a couple of complaints. Feel free to chime in with your view, as I might have things upside down, and I am in need of a bit of "re-education".

The Super Positives:
Ariel's Breakfast with Princess was a HUGE Win for my 4-yr old daughter. While I went on rides with by older boys, the wife and two daughters went to this breakfast. Loved it - tons of food, and it was everything we hoped our daughter would experience. The time we took our boys (several years ago), it wasn't quite as special... they didn't care much.

A&E Meet & Greet. It was great because we planned ahead. I was stressed out like crazy leading up to it - but everything worked out and I'm glad we did it. BTW, we were eating at Village Haus around 7 pm on Wednesday night - only about 5 families in the entire place, and A&E came through with their handlers for a quick break. They took the time to wave and point to my girls, blow kisses, etc. That was a HUGE deal for me and their mom. Big thumbs up for those CMs.

Plaza Inn fried chicken was AMAZING! Holy Cow, I was stuffed leaving there.

Carnation Cafe "Chicken Fried Chicken" was even better than the Fried Chicken at Plaza Inn. This is now a must do every time we go to DLR, I ate every bite and was full, but wanted more.

The breakfast at Tomorrowland's Terrace (name?) was fantastic! Loved all of it - and it was reasonably priced.

The Cream Cheese filled Mickey Pretzels and Dole Whips were also very good, and will be on the regular rotation going forward. The Corn Dogs were also as good as advertised. I'm not a Corn Dog eater, but my oldest is, and he kept saying on our last trip (2 yrs ago) that all he wanted was the Corn Dog for meals. I did some investigating, and wasn't disappointed - and my wife even liked them.

Side-note. Our food priorities historically have been just chicken nuggets/fries, chimichangas, Churros, candy, cookies, shakes, etc. While good and filling - they are being replaced with the above mentioned items.

Not as good as advertised:
Cafe Orleans. It took forever for service (I saw three tables sit after us and receive their meals before our order was even taken - they had a different server). The Pommes Fritas were good IMO (too much garlic for my taste), but my wife LOVED them. Beignets were fantastic. However, the Monte Cristo, although good, was not the show stopper I was anticipating. I felt my arteries clog as I was eating it. I only ate two of the four because I felt sick with all the sugar and fried goodness. Yes, the taste was good, but it was like drinking chocolate - the first gulp is good.

The Ridiculous and Disappointing:
Child Swap is a joke. It basically is a 'Fast Pass' now. In the past, that has not been the case. RSRs took over an hour (we had FPs to begin with) because of this method of rider swap. This really upset me!

I'm not going to go into too much here because I have read the past war of words regarding APs... but, yeah...

Halloween Party. Well, it seems to me that they sold 3x as many tickets to this one as the one we attended in 2012. You couldn't just walk onto rides, big lines on all the E-Ticket rides.

Speaking of crowds. The parks weren't that crowded, but yet HM had over an hour wait is a joke. The reality is, most of the time we didn't see or experience crowds, unless of course we were at: POC, HM, BTMRR, RSR, and/or SM. Frontier land is a shuffle walk at best, and NO square is the same. It felt like some people come to the park just to ride HM/BTMRR due to their changes/decorations and then linger around that area (see APs above) and do nothing else.

Lastly - and this I see everywhere - but it is always shocking how badly some guests treat CMs. We were at Flo's for dinner one night and two things happened that nearly had 2-3 CMs in tears. They held their composure and just smiled and kept saying they were sorry while two women criticized them up and down. I finally had to step in at one point and asked the lady to calm down because the CMs can't. If I had been a park manager, I would have promoted these two CMs to managers immediately, and then ushered the two APs, err, guests, out of the park. Some people take "the customer is always right" too literally.

Finally - Lessons learned from this last trip:

#1 Don't ever go 4 days back to back... too exhausting.
#2 Don't go during Halloween again
#3 Just get the BEST foods while you are there - don't settle for chicken nuggets and Fries
#4 Get Dining reservations once a day
#5 Take more time for photos! (I learn this every time, but forget it running from place to place)
#6 Always give everyone a smile and a nod. You never know who might be there for the first time, or who had to make huge financial sacrifices to be there, and deserve a good experience.
#7 Plan to go again in late June/July... see above as to why.

I just wanted to say that I appreciate your lesson learned #6 , this is so true and one person's random smile can make their day. Also everytime I have seen A&E at Disneyland they are wonderful, glad you had the same experience.

IAfter all, no matter how you get into the parks, it is expensive. With that will always come people who think they are entitled to something special.

I think this is a perfect description of what happens sometimes.

In the op's defense I have seen exactly what he is talking about "but I'm an AP and I should get".............and I have also seen just the random jerks with the same "but I .... and I should get".....attitudes.

It should be a requirement that you have to be a happy well behaved person to get into the parks.......after all, it should be the "Happiest Place On Earth" and we can't let the wicked apples ruin it for us, not matter what disguise they come in!!!

5forMickey said:
It should be a requirement that you have to be a happy well behaved person to get into the parks.......after all, it should be the "Happiest Place On Earth" and we can't let the wicked apples ruin it for us, not matter what disguise they come in!!!

Wouldn't that be nice!!?! We are all there to have a good time! It stinks when someone ruins it for someone else.

I don't think anyone said you couldn't discuss? I enjoyed your original post, and I think its important for people here to share the good and bad. In my case I have a problem with your continued sarcastic tone. I would suggest lightening up a bit. On here and in the parks. Who cares how a few pass holders behaved? Im sure we could all find just as many instances of guests using park hoppers saying similar things. After all, no matter how you get into the parks, it is expensive. With that will always come people who think they are entitled to something special. Can't let it bother you.

Hi Dot2Vegas, I didn't post the previous response. However, you called me out on my last post for a sarcastic response - duly noted. I apologize for that, it was unnecessary.

Just to keep things in perspective - we had a ton of fun while there last week. In fact, I just texted my wife earlier today, "last week at this time we were getting our rental car..." We had a great time and miss it already. We have already penciled in a return trip in early 2016... but we might stop in on July 17th, 2015 for the celebration (we are going to be in Carlsbad anyway). That day should be shoulder-to-shoulder crowded... so then again, we might not. ;) ... and it will have nothing to do with APs :duck: :stir:

disneydadazut2 said:
Hi Dot2Vegas, I didn't post the previous response. However, you called me out on my last post for a sarcastic response - duly noted. I apologize for that, it was unnecessary.

Just to keep things in perspective - we had a ton of fun while there last week. In fact, I just texted my wife earlier today, "last week at this time we were getting our rental car..." We had a great time and miss it already. We have already penciled in a return trip in early 2016... but we might stop in on July 17th, 2015 for the celebration (we are going to be in Carlsbad anyway). That day should be shoulder-to-shoulder crowded... so then again, we might not. ;) ... and it will have nothing to do with APs :duck: :stir:

Thank you! I appreciate the apology :-)
I am glad you guys had a great trip! We are also considering July 17, 2015 just for a day trip but the crowds are scaring us away. Trying to weigh whether or not being there for the anniversary is worth the madness!

Cafe Orleans - Have also noticed and been surprised by the bad service. Love the food and the atmosphere but the CM's seem to have a bad attitude. Which is surprising since they are in a tipped position :confused3

Cafe Orleans - Have also noticed and been surprised by the bad service. Love the food and the atmosphere but the CM's seem to have a bad attitude. Which is surprising since they are in a tipped position :confused3

Went to Cafe Orleans once and have never been back. Service is what killed it for us, and we are actually very low maintenance people. Check-in woman was rude and snippy. Waitperson was mostly absent. Food arrived cold to luke-warm. Altogether just a lousy experience. It's what I had chosen as my special birthday meal too after all the positive reviews I had read about the place. No interest in returning. Too many other more pleasant and reliable choices available.

Went to Cafe Orleans once and have never been back. Service is what killed it for us, and we are actually very low maintenance people. Check-in woman was rude and snippy. Waitperson was mostly absent. Food arrived cold to luke-warm. Altogether just a lousy experience. It's what I had chosen as my special birthday meal too after all the positive reviews I had read about the place. No interest in returning. Too many other more pleasant and reliable choices available.

Another vote here for passing on Cafe Orleans after poor service. I am always surprised when I read good reviews because the one meal I are there was by far the worst table service meal I have had at Disneyland.

You guys do know that the plural of anecdote is not data, right? Bad service happens. More often, good service is the rule. The place wouldn't have been around for 60 years (or however long it's been there) if everyone had bad experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter