Have resale prices increased since the "limitations" went into affect?

jade1

I spend half my money on WDW, and waste the rest.
Just a quick look it seems like it.

yes they have, at least in general.

Its more about the direct prices than the perks. or course there are other factors, supply and demand at a resort etc.

I'm pretty sure that resale prices go up continuously as Disney raises the prices for new purchases, regardless of which resort is current.

Its more about the direct prices than the perks. or course there are other factors, supply and demand at a resort etc.
Prices are up from a year ago for sure. To me, it seems that new resale buyers are not that concerned with loss of staying at the new resorts down the road.
I'm pretty sure that resale prices go up continuously as Disney raises the prices for new purchases, regardless of which resort is current.

Yea appears that change didn't hurt much. Kinda hoped they would drop way down to scoop some up.

But then again if I don't care about the new ones, I suppose I'm not alone.

Prices are up from a year ago for sure. To me, it seems that new resale buyers are not that concerned with loss of staying at the new resorts down the road.

I know you won't likely agree but I think its because everything announced so far is very meh.

Riviera which is a more expensive BCV/BWV with access only via skyliner that has bad press every other week.
Reflections which has all sorts of jokes about it, is connected to a campground, and has 2 other DVC options "closer" to the park with basically the exact same theme.
DLR which may never happen, doesn't have permits, and most people take one look at VGC and think "I won't ever get a reservation anyways".

So now we are years out from possibly anything that someone would care about. At which point they likely can just sell their current contract, make a profit possibly (if direct prices keep going up), and then buy the new resort they actually care about.

I think I brought it up before but unless they put a new resort connected to the front gate of Epcot or on the monorail loop I don't see any resort being a draw until 2042 unless its a significant discount over the current offerings.

I know you won't likely agree but I think its because everything announced so far is very meh.

Riviera which is a more expensive BCV/BWV with access only via skyliner that has bad press every other week.
Reflections which has all sorts of jokes about it, is connected to a campground, and has 2 other DVC options "closer" to the park with basically the exact same theme.
DLR which may never happen, doesn't have permits, and most people take one look at VGC and think "I won't ever get a reservation anyways".

So now we are years out from possibly anything that someone would care about. At which point they likely can just sell their current contract, make a profit possibly (if direct prices keep going up), and then buy the new resort they actually care about.

I think I brought it up before but unless they put a new resort connected to the front gate of Epcot or on the monorail loop I don't see any resort being a draw until 2042 unless its a significant discount over the current offerings.

Negative Nancy Alert!

I am pretty sure my comment was exactly that. Resale buyers not concerned about the loss of new resorts being an option...ie: not worried about staying at RIV, Reflections and beyond. Not sure why the need to single out my post or the snarky comments.

Last edited:

You make some valid points, and allude to this - Disney has no Super Prime locations available on which to build. That being said, Reflections could be in a prime location of any 5th gate (Let a man dream).

Not saying Riviera is a bad location at all, just that there are better ones as far as proximity to the parks.

But here is another point - I think a lot of DVC people probably already have points that are eligible to use at DRR, Reflections, etc - Via either a direct or prior resale purchase. If that is the case, the current resale restrictions don't matter much, you don't need every point you own to be usable at newer resorts. So it is only totally new resale purchases that really get totally affected by the new restrictions. I have my points, I can use them at DRR, or REF, I dont care if any additional points I may purchase can be, so the resale market is just as viable as it ever was.

Several sites have historical charts showing prices. It looks like I can't link here but googling "dvc historical prices" will show you some charts.

I am pretty sure my comment was exactly that. Resale buyers not concerned about the loss of new resorts being an option...ie: not worried about staying at RIV, Reflections and beyond. Not sure why the need to single out my post or the snarky comments.

As your comment was the one I read which made me think of my response. Also based on your love of Riviera is why I stated you personally likely don't agree with my point of view on the new resorts.

Sorry if you feel singled out. I am pretty willing to quote whatever I am reading though which makes me think of my response.

Negative Nancy Alert!

I like to think I am grounded. I can see why you would think I am negative though. I suppose some will think Pete is negative as well with how he comes off on some shows. I typically don't add in on the large positive threads as many have already stated my exact feelings.

And before that, Copper Creek rooms were smaller than Boulder Ridge with less appealing decor.

And before that Poly had no One or Two Bedroom Villas.

And before that Grand Floridian was a long walk from the main resort with a tiny lobby and no amenities.

And before that Bay Lake Tower looked like every other ultra-modern high-rise apartment complex.

And before that....

"One year ago" is not a very good data point, as it was exactly a year ago when we were all scrambling to buy resale before the restrictions went into effect. ROFR buybacks have also slowed to a trickle - that opens the door to some low-ball offer haggling that didn't exist a year ago. The other thing is a year ago Disney jacked up the price on all but RRV to spur sales. Now that RRV is open and we are seeing positive reviews they don't need to do that.

Yes, prices have gone up some. It's definitely isn't affected by current resale restrictions. For original 14 resorts, I don't think it will affect much. Resale prices for Riviera remains to be seen, however.

Great3

Prices are down at 7 of the resorts from what the average price was in January 19, price is flat at another and up at six.

I don't think that many people think that far ahead when buying resale. If you look at the 2042 exp date contacts, they still are expensive even though they expire in 22 years. The cost per point per year for Beach Club is almost double the costs per point per year for Saratoga.

I don't think that many people think that far ahead when buying resale. If you look at the 2042 exp date contacts, they still are expensive even though they expire in 22 years. The cost per point per year for Beach Club is almost double the costs per point per year for Saratoga.

That is what boggles the mind, I can not imagine buying a 2042 for that price. Of course, I am happy some will as I just sold BWV for $120.

I agree people may not be worrying now for things down the road, If a resale buyer really decides they want to try RiV or any new resort, they always have the option of renting their own points and staying for cash or renting from someone else,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts