Have any of your next trip plans changed after the D23 announcements?

We aren't going for a little over 6 months, at that time we don't see a reason at all to go to dhs

We aren't riding the GMR or Ellen's Energy lol... we arrive 4 days after they close. Honestly I am disappointed. We don't get to go to WDW but every 10 or more years. It has been 12 years since our last visit. I remember loving the GMR lol. As someone who does not get to go as often as other posters I understand that many think it is tired and long overdue for replacement and I get that. As someone who goes to Disneyland frequently it is fun to try and ride things we don't have out here. But we will go...have fun... and go back in 2029 and they will probably be closing the Mickey Minnie train ride four days before we arrive to open a new great movie ride lol!

Yea for us it really makes us want to ditch HS all together. We knew the GMR was coming to an end but since the contract was reportedly to be up in 2018 we figured and planned we had one last chance to ride it a few times and really soak it up. But now it is closing in under a month, and it really hurts to see a great go. So now we are looking at possibly changing that day to another AK day...possibly still going to HS at night for Fantasmic, but we don't see a reason for a whole day there until less of it is under construction. That is anohter thing though, we thought Disney would not be so rash in this decision considering the rest of the park is mostly under construction.

I don't think they said when in 2019 it will open. They did say it will open at DHS AFTER the one in DL Anaheim, but what part of the year is unknown. I don't think we'll know specific timing for a while, but have you considered going to Disneyland instead?

Hi thanks and I did think about DL but my DD does not do good physically with flying or driving. Literally for the 2 1/2 hour flight to Florida is chaos. I hope to one day get out to DL. I agree we don't know the date I did see a few posts that it could be late July or early September. Both of those sound about on target. I will hope for the best and if not figure something out.

Nope - I generally go the same times (spring break, summer trip and some years add Thanksgiving week) each year. Whatever is new that is opening is just an added perk. :)

Yes! We were planning to arrive on August 13 and begin MK. We're considering rearranging to be there a day or two earlier so that we can do GMR once more, and possibly UoE. Investigating if our condo rental is available earlier and attempting new FP+ ressies. Also, really hoping that Mission Space reopens on time!

Our next trip is this December. The only thing that really has changed for us after the D23 announcements is how much time we plan to spend at Hollywood Studios. I know it's just one ride closing but we just don't see ourselves spending full days in Hollywood Studios anymore.

How about you all? Any changes to plans you already had?

Yep! As I got more and more excited about the announcements my husband got more and more cranky about Disney trips. I think this is the third time he has "pooh'ed" this hard on my parade since we got married (usually he enjoys being on the trips and never wants to stay home at any rate). So, he can go home after our cruise out of PC next December and I will go to Disney without him!

Probably not the sort of answer you were looking for though, lol! :duck:

Yes. The day I planned to spend at Hollywood Studios will now be a half day, with the other half spent in the pool at my resort.

Yes and no. Let me explain my complicated situation...

We go every Feb and are booked again for Feb 2018. But with Toy Story Land opening a few weeks after we leave

Do we know an opening date for Toy Story Land? I thought I read summer of 2018.

T

One thing is certain - I will be avoiding fall 2021 like the plague.

I initially planned to hit the 50th. Now I'm going to wait at least a year.

I went to the 40th and that was utter chaos and handled very poorly by Disney.

I don't like people enough to do that to myself. :D

Did they have a ticketed party for the 40th or was it open to the masses?

Yea for us it really makes us want to ditch HS all together. We knew the GMR was coming to an end but since the contract was reportedly to be up in 2018 we figured and planned we had one last chance to ride it a few times and really soak it up. But now it is closing in under a month, and it really hurts to see a great go. So now we are looking at possibly changing that day to another AK day...possibly still going to HS at night for Fantasmic, but we don't see a reason for a whole day there until less of it is under construction. That is anohter thing though, we thought Disney would not be so rash in this decision considering the rest of the park is mostly under construction.
This is exactly how we feel! I was going to drop HS altogether but kids want to keep our dinner ressie for Minnie's Seasonal Dine with F! So, it looks like we will roll into HS in time for dinner and stay until F! We'll do the morning at another park

I will still go to DHS for a couple of meals and the Toy Story Midway Mania ride, but there won't be much of anything else left that I'd like to do there. I know the rumors about TGMR closing were out for a long time, however, I'm still sad about it. It was my favorite DHS ride and I'd have been happy if they had kept it forever, whether remaining as a classic movie tribute, or with updates to include newer movies too. Had I known that my last ride on it earlier this year would be my last ride on it ever, that would have been a cloud over the experience, so in a way I'm glad I didn't know. But I wish they could have put the new Mickey Minnie cartoon ride in a different space and still kept TGMR.

Not really; I already had a quick trip in 2019 planned for Food and Wine, and hopefully new stuff in Hollywood Studios, and then 2021 was already on the list both for celebrating my 10 year wedding anniversary AND for celebrating WDW's 50th. Hopefully the Tron coaster will be ready by then :D

I can still spend almost a full day at HS- closing one more ride won't hurt that. No plans will be changing for my trips this year. I think next year I will definitely go in the spring and fall.

Did they have a ticketed party for the 40th or was it open to the masses?

It was open to the masses.

And Disney was not remotely prepared for how large the Masses would be.

I got to MK at 7 for a 9 am (I don't think it was 8) open by bus from Pop and managed to get a place just inside the turnstiles. They didn't have transportation running early enough so folks were walking to the MK from the TTC.

You could almost see the panic in some management CMs faces as the masses were heading up Main Street. Just 2 big eyes with people behind them. :)

There's no way Disney didn't learn from the disaster that was the 40th anniversary.

Easy WDW has a nice little review with pics:
http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/magic-kingdom-40th-anniversary-pictures/

It was open to the masses.

And Disney was not remotely prepared for how large the Masses would be.

I got to MK at 7 for a 9 am (I don't think it was 8) open by bus from Pop and managed to get a place just inside the turnstiles. They didn't have transportation running early enough so folks were walking to the MK from the TTC.

You could almost see the panic in some management CMs faces as the masses were heading up Main Street. Just 2 big eyes with people behind them. :)

There's no way Disney didn't learn from the disaster that was the 40th anniversary.

Easy WDW has a nice little review with pics:
http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/magic-kingdom-40th-anniversary-pictures/

Holy crap, I hope they learned from that insanity lol. Part of me hopes that they will have a ticketed event for the 50th just to control the mass amount of people!

We have been going pretty much every other year. We went in June this year so 2019 would be our time to visit. The one thing that we might change is our resort. I mentioned the the hotel that is supposed to be ready then and my wife noted that we had not stayed at a deluxe recently. I'm sure things will be booked quickly.

We are doing one last trip this year and don't plan on coming back until sometime after 2020. I really don't want to deal with the hassle of all the new construction, ride closures, etc. that are going to plague Disneyworld while they build all this new stuff. Also I want to avoid the initial crowds that the new Star Wars stuff is going to bring in, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't go to back until 2022 because of this. But hey, it gives our family plenty of time to save up for a stay at the new Star Wars hotel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter