Have a Disney Cruise booked for March 2022

WVU Disney Fan

Mouseketeer
I know any answers I get are just opinions but what’s everyone’s take for cruises being close to normal by then? Should we postpone to later in 2022? Like I said I know nobody knows but just interested in opinions.

I know any answers I get are just opinions but what’s everyone’s take for cruises being close to normal by then? Should we postpone to later in 2022? Like I said I know nobody knows but just interested in opinions.

DCL are restarting cruising in The UK this summer for UK residents. I would keep an eye on the information released over the next few months about these sailings and then in the summer I would search YouTube for videos from these cruises.

That will be the best way to figure things out. These UK summer sailings will be the base line and starting point for DCL. They will be using them to test the new policies and procedures. Only you can decide if what you see on these cruises would be what you would be comfortable with.

I also have a cruise booked for March 2022
My opinion: It's not even clear it will sail. I put it at 30% . Why? Pandemic is not letting up in the US and the countries this ship will be stopping at are in a major health crisis (Colombia, Mexico)
IF it sails, it will 100% be with masks, social distancing, no buffets, limited capacity at pools, theaters, bars, etc.
I will still go if it sails, but it'll be a diminished experience for sure.

When will cruises be back to normal? 'normal' as in pre-pandemic?
If things remain constant (meaning, things don't get worse) : 2024

My opinion: It's not even clear it will sail. I put it at 30% . Why? Pandemic is not letting up in the US and the countries this ship will be stopping at are in a major health crisis (Colombia, Mexico)
IF it sails, it will 100% be with masks, social distancing, no buffets, limited capacity at pools, theaters, bars, etc.

I like the optimism lol j/k. Hopefully it’s a lot better than this though. I mean a 1/3 of US adults are fully vaccinated already.

The pandemic is not letting up???? Numbers have decreased dramatically and people are getting vaccinated in large numbers daily.

The pandemic is not letting up???? Numbers have decreased dramatically and people are getting vaccinated in large numbers daily.

Agreed... day to day Americans have not gotten this memo. We took a long drive to a favorite pizza place and outside mask usage has dropped considerably from the last time we made the drive a couple months ago. Restaurants are seating people inside and out now that they can have their windows open.

I'm booked on a March cruise and I think it will sail. I might be wrong. I'm pretty sure it will not be the old normal, that will take a long time, or may never happen. I imagine some of the changes will be for the better and Disney may keep them if it helps with cleanliness and guest flow. Some, like masks and characters just waving from afar I don't think will be around forever, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were still around in some form by March. Not every country is vaccinating at the same rate and we have yet so see the end of mutations of the virus.

While we should hit 50% of the adult population being partially immunized this week, that means that there's still a lot of people still vulnerable. Plus, because things are getting better, people are disregarding the preventative measures. That's leading to surges in places like Michigan.

I do believe that there's an excellent chance that cruises will be operating by then. That being said, it won't be like it was 18 months ago, as there will be some changes. Some social distancing, reduced capacity and mask wearing. Some of the changes could be viewed as positive, depending on whether you prefer the energy of crowds vs. having things a little quieter on decks. Masks will almost certainly be the last thing to go, because they are a low cost/low effort protective measure. You'll have to decide what things are show stoppers (fewer shows, kids clubs, unrestricted excursions at ports), and which ones you can live with. Nobody (even Disney) knows what the restrictions will be nearly a year from now.

Only you can decide whether you would rather wait for everything to return to some sort of new normal, or take a chance on an enjoyable vacation (despite restrictions) sooner than that.

FWIW - I believe there will still be some changes in place come next March. For example, I'd bet that hand-washing before entering the buffet, specialty dining and kids clubs will be mandatory.

But masks? I just don't see it. There might be some cruising die-hards who are happy to sail with a mask mandate right now. But the general U.S. cruising market will not accept it long-term, IMO. Especially if mask mandates for land-based vacations are no longer in place.

More likely, proof of vaccination will be required in order to sail, with masks being suggested/recommended for those with risk factors. And a waiver of liability for DCL if you get COVID-19 while on-board. Non-negotiable, meaning if you don't like it, don't sail.

Last edited:
FWIW - I believe there will still be some changes in place come next March. For example, I'd bet that hand-washing before entering the buffet, specialty dining and kids clubs will be mandatory.

But masks? I just don't see it. There might be some cruising die-hards who are happy to sail with a mask mandate right now. But the general U.S. cruising market will not accept it long-term, IMO. Especially if mask mandates for land-based vacations are no longer in place.

More likely, proof of vaccination will be required in order to sail, with masks being suggested/recommended for those with risk factors. And a waiver of liability for DCL if you get COVID-19 while on-board. Non-negotiable, meaning if you don't like it, don't sail.

This is what I hope things lead to in general. By some point everyone who wants a vaccine will have had a chance to get one. If you don’t get one you know the risks. At some point things have to return to somewhat normal and those who aren’t comfortable with something just don’t do it.

Since we're probably 9-12 months away from kids under 12 being allowed to be vaccinated, a vaccine mandate is unworkable for Disney. Especially from Port Canaveral, where vaccination mandates face political obstacles.

Masks long term? Unlikely, but March 2022 is not long term. Since masks are to protect others, they are here until authorities are no longer concerned about the spread.

Since we're probably 9-12 months away from kids under 12 being allowed to be vaccinated, a vaccine mandate is unworkable for Disney. Especially from Port Canaveral, where vaccination mandates face political obstacles.

Masks long term? Unlikely, but March 2022 is not long term. Since masks are to protect others, they are here until authorities are no longer concerned about the spread.

1.) Thanks for catching that. I should have clarified - vaccines mandatory for teens and up. And perhaps proof of a negative COVID test for those younger. And a disclaimer/hold-harmless for DCL if you catch COVID-19 while aboard. I know that isn't a perfect plan, but I'll bet it's how it'll play out.

2.) I hear what you are saying, but what the CDC considers "long-term" and what the cruising market considers "long-term" can be two very different things. If the cruising market feels that masks are overkill in March of 2022 (especially if mask mandates have been drastically relaxed, if not eliminated, for most land-based vacations), I think even Disney might have trouble filling ships.

For example, I'd bet that hand-washing before entering the buffet, specialty dining and kids clubs will be mandatory.

Isn't it already? I've seen them chase people down with those wipes... and the kid's club has those special hand washing stations. I've never seen anyone refuse, tbh.

Isn't it already? I've seen them chase people down with those wipes... and the kid's club has those special hand washing stations. I've never seen anyone refuse, tbh.

The last time I sailed (Feb. of '20), the Wonder had installed the washing stations outside Cabanas, and CM's were enforcing that. But nothing similar for Palo, even though it was still self-serve.

And I saw plenty of ppl wave away the wipe when entering the MDRs.

I can't recall ever seeing a kid skip the hand "car-wash" in the clubs because they're so fun, but I also can't say I ever saw counselors watch all that closely to make sure every kid complied.

My larger point is that the heightened hand-washing is probably here to stay, even after COVID is (hopefully) under control. That won't go back to "the way things were."

I’d put money on it happening. I think we’re cruising again inside of 6 months. In March of ‘22, I’d still expect some social distancing, maybe some reduced capacity - reservations for shows, no table sharing, stricter meet and greet protocol - and *possibly* still masks when distancing isn’t possible.....but I expect something close to normal.

The US vaccination efforts are way ahead of schedule..and even though kids under 16 can’t yet be vaccinated...they only account for approx. 20% of the population. I think a significant % of the 16+ crew being vaccinated will be all we need for “herd immunity”. The bigger issue will be GLOBAL vaccination. Some countries still have yet to administer a single vaccine. We need to start to focus our efforts there AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to minimize the chances of more variants, etc... and I *hope* we will! If we don’t, I think the itinerary options will be severely limited.

I think it will sail by March 2022, but "normal"? We are years away from that being the case again.

Here's my opinion:
Masks, will be required at all times while indoors, maybe even during deck parties..

Shows, who's to say. I'm hoping they will be adding more showings of all performances so people can be social distancing in the theaters. They might do a ticketing system of some kind.. I'm just hoping they aren't cancelled entirely, this is the best part about sailing Disney for me.

Kids clubs, such a huge draw for DCL but I'm skeptical about how they will do these. If schools are reopening though, it kind of goes along the same lines right? 30+ kids in the same classroom etc.

Buffets will probably be open, but they will have CM's standing at each station that will serve you what you request. That's how it has been set up an two resorts I've traveled to since pandemic started..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!