Haunted Mansion Refurb Begins January 22.

Following the discussion because we are going the last 3 days of April and would love to go on HM, but fully expecting it to be down...

So, I was at Disneyland on Saturday. Saw my HM cast member friend so chatted a few minutes. I asked more about the refurb and timeline. She said there is a ton of misinformation out there right now. She still thinks June for reopening, but maybe slipping to July. Some of the area that they will be working have not been touched or really worked since 1955. She said to expect the train to also go down for probably 3-4 weeks this spring or summer as there are things to do back there for HM and Splash/Tiana. She said they will not be removing the HMH overlay as it makes no sense for it to come up in June/July and then have it go down for 2 weeks to put the overlay back on.

I’m disappointed I won’t get to ride it when I’m there end of January, but it appears to be the only major attraction that will be down during my visit, which is actually good news. I’ll also be at WDW in April, so I’ll get my HM fix via Magic Kingdom a couple months later, and ride-wise they are similar enough that I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much riding one or the other.

Now let’s just hope nothing unexpected goes down in the next few weeks…

Last edited:

I’m disappointed I won’t get to ride it when I’m there end of January, but it appears to be the only major attraction that will be down during my visit, which is actually good news. I’ll also be at WDW in April, so I’ll get my HM fix via Magic Kingdom a couple months later, and ride-wise they are similar enough that I don’t feel like I’m missing out on much riding one or the other.

Now let’s just hope nothing unexpected goes down in the next few weeks…
I feel similarly. I love HM (especially the original version), but I'm grateful that no other headliners will be down. The others are no big loss for me, so I'm definitely happy considering it's traditionally a refurb season.

So, I was at Disneyland on Saturday. Saw my HM cast member friend so chatted a few minutes. I asked more about the refurb and timeline. She said there is a ton of misinformation out there right now. She still thinks June for reopening, but maybe slipping to July. Some of the area that they will be working have not been touched or really worked since 1955. She said to expect the train to also go down for probably 3-4 weeks this spring or summer as there are things to do back there for HM and Splash/Tiana. She said they will not be removing the HMH overlay as it makes no sense for it to come up in June/July and then have it go down for 2 weeks to put the overlay back on.

Ah yes, nothing says Halloween/Christmas like... June and July. 😂

(I get the logistics and why it might have to be that way, but as someone who prefers the original HM and already thinks HMH goes on too long, it sucks and I'm bitter.)

Ah yes, nothing says Halloween/Christmas like... June and July. 😂

(I get the logistics and why it might have to be that way, but as someone who prefers the original HM and already thinks HMH goes on too long, it sucks and I'm bitter.)

My CM friend prefers the original too. And not just because the crowds and how crazy it can get during the overlay which makes her job harder. Her dream would be for 2025 to a full year of traditional HM with no overlay at all.

And I agree - 6 months is going to be overkill but I also can completely understand the reason.

My CM friend prefers the original too. And not just because the crowds and how crazy it can get during the overlay which makes her job harder. Her dream would be for 2025 to a full year of traditional HM with no overlay at all.

And I agree - 6 months is going to be overkill but I also can completely understand the reason.

I keep banging the drum of "give NBC its own year round attraction and leave HM alone", but I don't know where or what it would be. It's not anything I'm super into (it's cute, but that's about as far as it goes for me), but its obviously popular enough that it could sustain that. I'll leave the rest to the Imagineers to figure out.

I just can't believe we lucked out and timed it so well. Will be in the parks next week from Jan 16-22. HM is one of my all-time favorites and when we booked the dates I assumed it would be down for the changeover to normal version and was bummed out. Guess we got super lucky instead (although terrible for anyone else visiting in the next 4-6 months or more! )

I feel similarly. I love HM (especially the original version), but I'm grateful that no other headliners will be down. The others are no big loss for me, so I'm definitely happy considering it's traditionally a refurb season.
Same with the other few attractions down not mattering to me.

The second to last time I was in DL, my brother and his wife flew out and met me there for their first time (also both Disney fanatics but we grew up going to WDW). Pirates and Blue Bayou were both down and I felt terrible. It was one of their top rides they were looking forward to, along with their top restaurant they wanted to experience. Ah well, just another great reason to visit again! That's what I tell myself any time I get to the parks and a favorite attraction isn't running.

Sooo I just got off the phone with a CM trying to get a different form of payment applied to my trip coming up in June. It didn't work, again (that's a whole different story) but at the end of the call the CM started chatting about some tips for my trip. He talked about the weather and crowd levels, suggested WOC, and then said "I do want you to be aware that Haunted Mansion will still be down for refurbishment during your trip but it does have a scheduled reopening date of August 23rd, just in time for the Halloween season!"

Fingers crossed because I have an October trip planned too. Just wanted to share to add a little more to the Halloween reopening rumor mill! 😅

I can't see them reopening HM as HMH in June/July. I foresee them keeping it shuttered until Halloweentime, which apparently is now in August.

Sooo I just got off the phone with a CM trying to get a different form of payment applied to my trip coming up in June. It didn't work, again (that's a whole different story) but at the end of the call the CM started chatting about some tips for my trip. He talked about the weather and crowd levels, suggested WOC, and then said "I do want you to be aware that Haunted Mansion will still be down for refurbishment during your trip but it does have a scheduled reopening date of August 23rd, just in time for the Halloween season!"

Fingers crossed because I have an October trip planned too. Just wanted to share to add a little more to the Halloween reopening rumor mill! 😅

I hope that's true. I've got a trip planned for November so I've been hoping against hope it'd be reopened by then. Also hoping Tiana's Bayou will be opened by then too *fingers crossed*

I suspect Spring 2025 for Tiana. WDW is opening this summer and Disneyland is about 6 to 8 months behind WDW's construction timeline. Plus 2025 is Disneyland 70TH!
OH Yeah I had forgotten about 2025 being the 70th. I have a feeling the "late 2024" wording they've previously given for Disneyland's version will unfortunately get pushed back too. Hoping NOT because of my November trip lol But it wouldn't shock me if it did.

I suspect Spring 2025 for Tiana. WDW is opening this summer and Disneyland is about 6 to 8 months behind WDW's construction timeline. Plus 2025 is Disneyland 70TH!
I was replying to the poster's hope for Haunted Mansion to be open by November.

(I didn't notice the additional reference to Tiana. I'll delete that.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter