Has Disney's California Adventure changed it's image?

Something my son pointed out to me.... No one ever wears California Adventure t=shirts. After he made that observation to me I started looking and I've yet to see one. There are shirts that are Cars themed or Mosters Inc. themed, but I haven't seen one California Adventure shirt. Anyway, lots of great experiences to have in DCA.
I have a DCA t shirt showcasing all the attractions. I really like that shirt but I bought a smaller size and it shrunk on me and now it’s relegated to wife’s sleep shirt :guilty:

My preference is that the overall concept of the park be broad theme-wise. I don't like the idea of a single theme of Marvel, or Star Wars, or Princesses, or anything that specific. Having different areas incorporating different genres has broader attraction to a variety of guests. If it's too geared to a specific set, you're cutting out a number of potential guests who won't see the appeal. Now, specific-themed parks would be great if there was room, as is the case at WDW, but at this point there is not. I would be pretty upset if DCA was turned into Marvel or Star Wars or any single niche, though I'm fine having those elements incorporated into the park as I know a lot of people love them.

My other thought about DCA is that the whole lagoon or whatever it's supposed to be now is sort of a waste of space. Yeah, I know people love WOC, and I hear it's fabulous but have only viewed it from a distance (not really my thing because I'm short, hate to stand in a pack, and don't like getting wet at night if that's a thing there). The problem is that it uses up a big chunk of the park for a very limited amount of use. It's too bad that water area couldn't be used for something else the rest of the time, but with the pipes everywhere for WOC, that's probably impossible.

My other thought about DCA is that the whole lagoon or whatever it's supposed to be now is sort of a waste of space. The problem is that it uses up a big chunk of the park for a very limited amount of use. It's too bad that water area couldn't be used for something else the rest of the time, but with the pipes everywhere for WOC, that's probably impossible.

World of Color was created to keep people there for a longer period of time. The lagoon was important during the day/night when it had the wave machine to help with theming on Screamin and the Pier, but WOC took that away.

The REAL waste of space (my opinion) is the Grand California Hotel, but we know Disney would never get rid of that. They should have just rebuilt and expanded the Disneyland Hotel.

Which is why they are now looking at the DTD Parking and Paradise Pier Hotel area for future DCA expansion. Which I would bet comes sooner than the DL expansion.

Last edited:
What I also think could've helped DCA attract more visitors is add more shows and parades because as you know people LOVE parades and shows because if they added more parades DCA would get more people to visit the parks. Because ever since they had the Eureka parade and Main Street Electrical Parade they were good additions to DCA but since they disappeared DCA has not had any interests in parades and now the only shows they have are in Avengers Campus and the Disney Junior Live On Stage Dance Party show. And as I mentioned before Ice Capades style ice shows would work well for DCA. But if Disneyland were to expand DCA they would probably add more restaurants and shops and perhaps have a Marvel resort being created in the future

So is there no more parades at DCA? And no plans to bring them back? Not sure if I need to set aside time/plan for one when we are there at the end of May.

What I also think DCA is trying to do is attract Marvel fans because I find it shocking that they chose Rogers The Musical to put in the Hyperion Theater next month and the theater will be renamed Avengers Campus Theater because it seems that when Avengers Campus was developed DCA knew what they were gonna attract was Marvel fans and comic book fans. Why couldn't Disneyland have a Marvel theme park instead of having Avengers Campus? What I think will happen is that in a few years Hollywood Pictures Backlot will be gone and Avengers Campus will be expanded with more rides and shows and shops. Because I find it shocking that the only things in Avengers Campus is two rides and outdoor shows and shops and restaurants and mostly Marvel meet and greets and they should add more than focus on meet and greets with Marvel characters. DCA is trying hard but I think they should improve it more
Dodger

What I think what Disney was planning to do was I think since Walt Disney World opened Disney's Animal Kingdom in 1998 Disneyland wanted to copy that same achievement by starting development of a new theme park that would be successful as Disneyland and when DCA opened in 2001 fans were hoping it was a success but it wasn't what people expecting it to be. When I first went to DCA I could see that they were trying their best but it wasn't the park that people dreamed of seeing and when you look at DCA it's mostly filled with shops and restaurants and few rides and few shows and what I think it was a Disney outdoor mall with rides and entertainment and characters for pictures and meet and greets because that's also a factor that draws people especially families with kids who adore the characters so much. But as I mentioned in my recent post the addition of Avengers Campus really was meant to attract Marvel fans and I truly think Avengers Campus really has drawn more visitors to DCA and I can see why Webslingers has replaced Incredicoaster as DCA's new top ride now because I think DCA wanted to attract Marvel fans just by having Avengers Campus added. Because where else can you meet Marvel heroes such as Captain America Hawkeye Spider-Man Captain Marvel and other heroes? Because this was the main dream Disney had when they created Avengers Campus for comic book and Marvel movie fans. But I think had they not chose to change their image and focused on Pixar and Marvel based rides and shows DCA could've adopted a new audience and image to become more geared to older kids young adults and teenagers

Avengers campus I think was great in concept, but ultimately executed poorly. It really needs another ride/attraction besides Guardians and Spiderman....and Guardians isn't even really in "the campus"!

Why I think DCA changed the Tower Of Terror ride to Guardians Of The Galaxy Mission Breakout in Avengers Campus was because they knew that there would soon be news of a new Guardians Of The Galaxy movie debuting in the future and Disney knows that as soon as a new movie is released it also means that a new attraction will debut in theme parks. Because I see Avengers Campus is the most popular part of DCA and you can bet with the debut of Rogers The Musical next month they will probably bring out the characters of Bucky Barnes and Hawkeye back for meet and greets to honor the debut of the show. Other things DCA could do is replace the Disney Junior Live On Stage show with a show that everyone will enjoy. Because I don't know why DCA put Disney Junior Live On Stage in the park in the first place? Because I think they wanted to attract the toddler and infant crowd and when I would go to DCA I would walk by that show and it didn't seem to have a full audience and they should've replaced Soap Opera Bistro with another restaurant instead. But I sure wish DCA could have a restaurant like Ariel's Grotto where you could dine with the princesses at a special breakfast and dinner show and it would be so nice to see

Why I think DCA changed the Tower Of Terror ride to Guardians Of The Galaxy Mission Breakout in Avengers Campus was because they knew that there would soon be news of a new Guardians Of The Galaxy movie debuting in the future and Disney knows that as soon as a new movie is released it also means that a new attraction will debut in theme parks. Because I see Avengers Campus is the most popular part of DCA and you can bet with the debut of Rogers The Musical next month they will probably bring out the characters of Bucky Barnes and Hawkeye back for meet and greets to honor the debut of the show. Other things DCA could do is replace the Disney Junior Live On Stage show with a show that everyone will enjoy. Because I don't know why DCA put Disney Junior Live On Stage in the park in the first place? Because I think they wanted to attract the toddler and infant crowd and when I would go to DCA I would walk by that show and it didn't seem to have a full audience and they should've replaced Soap Opera Bistro with another restaurant instead. But I sure wish DCA could have a restaurant like Ariel's Grotto where you could dine with the princesses at a special breakfast and dinner show and it would be so nice to see
DCA has breakfast with the Princesses at the Napa Rose Restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter