Has Disney Been Out-Valued By Universal?

Originally posted by Testtrack321
I think we are trying to give value (not the type in the thread title) to things that are unique to each visiter.

Some people will find a better value at WDW with their pre-made travel and accomidations. Others will find Universal cheeper for their needs.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. One resort doesn't fit all so to speak. :)

I admit something else that appealed to me about Universal is that it's new and different for us. We've really done it all at WDW and it's mostly just repeats for us. We can easily see what we wish to see within a few days now and then we go back to old favorites.

I just can't see spending more or the same money for Universal with only two parks (one of which is just like our Six Flags here at home) but then again it depends upon the person, I personally am a Disney Freak, been going since 1971 and would go every week if I could, I also couldn't fathom being in Orlando and not going to Disney.
I can't imagine visiting Orlando without going to WDW either so I hope to do both resorts. I must take exception to comparing a Universal park to a Six Flags park. These two entities have NOTHING in common in my opinion. I wondered about that myself until I actually experienced the parks.

dont forget to take in to account that usf parks have shorter hours than disney so the cost per hour should be taken into account
Paulh

Could anybody actually spend 8 days at Universal? I couldn't. Especially with the front of the line thing, I don't think I'd be interested for more than 3 days. (Yes, I've been to both parks.)There would have to be other journeys (in a car or a shuttle, that would cost) and other parks (add admissions costs). And if it were me, I'd be driving out to PI every night anyway since there's no Adventurers Club at Universal.

Sure, WDW is full of screaming 4 year olds. IOA is full of screaming 15 year olds. I think they cancel each other out.

I should also add that the dozens of screaming 4 year olds also has a profound impact on my experience at a Disney park...Of course, that is really a problem with parents and not Disney
I don't think it's a "problem". I think it's just four-year-olds being four. :)
As for the teens at IOA, I see 'em every day at school; I'd rather deal with the four-year-olds when I'm on vacation.

Six Flags is NOTHING in comparison to IOA, they are TOTALLY different, and anyone who's gone there, be it a Disney fan or otherwise, would most likely agree.

Gee, I didn't mean to make everyone get offensive regarding Six Flags and IOA. All I mean is that IOA has thrill rides like Six Flags, whereas Disney has themed rides which my son likes better. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that Six Flags is no where like IOA, Universal or Disney. Everyone can calm down now, sorry for saying that.

i love universal for Teenagers and Twens Universal is a much better value than Disney....well i visit disney every time when i am at USF but at Disney there are not enough thrills for me furthermore IOA is perfectly themed Disney cannot counter that at least not in Orland perhabs in tokyo with disney sea. And the tings at disney are starting to show wear they should but more money into maintenace.

Don't get me wrong i m not saying disney is a bad park and when i was a kid i loved disney...but they should start to invest more money ...and of course disney still is a good park compared to many others but i still think universal will get the lead soon

OELPA: I agree with you that Disney should spend more on maintenance. I went last September and before that it was 10 years since I had been to WDW and the first thing I noticed was that the Buzz Lightyear ride (first ride I went on) looked awful, the cars you rode in were all scratched up and looked horrible and all I could think was "wow, Disney never used to even have a scrap of paper on the ground for 10 seconds before a sweeper would come by and pick it up." Didn't see any sweepers there when I was there last year.

I think the value lies in the person. Where someone likes Universal and IOA, there will be another that doesn't like thrill rides and likes Disney better and vise versa.

Well, in my opinion, the two resorts are fairly comparable in terms of prices of the top-of-the-line resorts, ticket prices per day per different theme park (meaning one has less parks and that's why their multiple day tickets are cheaper), and both are nicely themed with modern amenities. The difference is that they really appeal to different wants, and so I don't really see them as in absolutely direct competition. Like Universal's latest commercials say, "Tired of pixie dust and fairy tales? etc etc". Universal is more about almost a "Vegas" style vacation without the gambling- luxury, glamour, thrill rides, the "wow" factor. Disney is more about dreaming, wishes, pixie dust, dreams coming true, tug at your heartstrings, and learning type of experience, as well as being more immersive and meant for a longer vacation usually. I think they tend to appeal to different people, or at least tend to be different experiences for the same people, so I don't think the choice is usually that of value, but of what type of experience you want. There are some people who think a theme park is a theme park is a theme park and will go to either, but I think people who go to theme parks all the time choose by what they want, and that's why I don't think they're really in direct competition a lot of the time. Just my two cents.

freediverdude, your comments make a lot of sense in my opinion. We spent time at each place during our last trip and enjoyed both in different ways. It's hard to compare them because they are so different and both very good at what they do.

I think that the only time they might compete directly is when a traveler only has a certain amount of time and the funds are limited. Then if both types of parks appeal equally, the traveler would have to look beyond which is more fun or fulfilling. What would that person look at? Service? Theming? Value? It's hard to say.

First....shorter hours at UO? Has anyone actually looked at WDW's operating hours lately? On any given day the Magic Kingdom and USF are closing at exactly the same time, or maybe off by an hour. Disney parks haven't had the old extended hours in years. Now we see future world cut even further.

Second...This constant comparing IOA to a Six Flags park. Has anyone been to a Six Flags park in the last 5 years?????? Maybe you should take a return trip now, then come on down to IOA. I am sure that you will see a HUGE difference.

Third...We always here about too many teens at USF/IOA. Anybody noticed that that group has been disappearing like Elliot (Pete's Dragon) at the WDW parks? Maybe this is nice at the moment. BUT...that is a big problem down the road. Disney is about memories. We take our kids there because we want them to be a part of the memories we had growing up. For me that was the teen years as well. Back when Disney still had the lastest and greatest technology in attractions. When Disney was "cool" to all ages. This large demographic does not have those same memories of Disney. They have the image of Mickey planted on their breakfast cereal, orange juice, shopping mall and most anything else. As this group grows in the next few years...they will start to have kids. They, like us, will want to take their kids to the place where they have all their memories. And for many, that will NOT be WDW. Which, to me at least, is sad. But, as long as Disney comes closer and closer to just putting up whatever is cheap...that is the long term outcome. The latest thing from WDW that would appeal to teens is Primeval Whirl. An off the shelf coaster from Reverchon that is just like one at Kennywood (Pittsburg). But in this case, the Kennywood one has more elaborate theming. Did we ever think there would be a day that a park like Kennywood...a traditional, turn of the century amusement park...would not only out theme Disney (on an IDENTICAL ride) but have it up a full four years earlier? As Disney has downsized WDI in favor of this current "Off the shelf" trend. All of these Imagineers had to go somewhere. What do you think they are doing. The same thing they were, but now their ideas and innovations are available for the Six Flags of the world...and cheaper. Disney has not pushed the envelope in attractions since Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye (Tokyo Disney Sea withstanding). This game has been up for a while...and more people realize that the USF/IOAs of the world are indeed comparable. And often cheaper.

As long as Disney continues to do much of nothing to upgrade...to innovate...to push the envelope. They will continue to lose ground. I hope that will change. But UO is providing what people currently want. Wasnt it Walt who said give the people what they want....

Lastly...why cant we like both equally? Both provide top quality entertainment. Different entertainment, but still top quality. We should hope for the success for BOTH. Nobody seems to think about the synergy the two companies create for each other in the Orlando market. This summer, many Shrek fans will make the trek to USF to see the new Shrek 4D...and while they are here, they will probably take a trip down to WDW. When Mission:Space opens...many will come back to Epcot (well, we hope at least) and after they do WDW, they will probably hit UO. The two companies counter each other nicely. And a little competition never hurts. Don't you think the highly publicized loss of 5 market share points last spring break period at WDW...while at the same time UO gained 5 market share points...helped us get Forbidden Mountain a green light? And when Disney takes some shares back that UO will do something else exciting...which will lead to another something great at WDW...etc...etc...etc.

I like to have the choice of entertainment myself. Dont we all get all of these cable channels so that when we are in the right mood, we can pretty much find the kind of entertainment we want? Think of your options with everything here in Orlando!

Thanks for letting me vent there!!!

Sid (if I may call you that ;)), for the most part I agree with most of what you say. However, let's talk about this.......................
Disney is about memories. We take our kids there because we want them to be a part of the memories we had growing up.
You imply that Disney is destined for failure in the future because the current trend of teens preferring IOA means that when they have kids they will take them to IOA as that will be the place where their memories are. For some that may be true, but that thinking appears to discount the memories and attachment kids are developing at Disney from the time they are 2 to 12, and beyond. Sure, by the time many kids are 15 they may be too 'cool' for Mickey and may love IOA, but is that going to erase 14 years of memories and emotional attachment to Disney? I don't believe that kids memories from growing up are going to be confined to the last 3 or 4 years of their childhood. The kind of memories we want our kids to be a part of run much deeper than that. I do believe kids are developing those memories today.

I agree that Disney has issues and problems to address and needs to get back to developing attractions that have the wide appeal that many of the older attractions had. However, I don't think the fact that IOA has more thrill rides to attract teens means that that is where all those kids will flock to when they become parents.

All I mean is that IOA has thrill rides like Six Flags, whereas Disney has themed rides which my son likes better. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree that Six Flags is no where like IOA,
Sorry but IOA out themes disney. The "flow" in each area seems to make more sense at IOA, and the Que's at IOA and US are much more themed that WDW.
My first comment when walking into IOA was man this place out Disney's Disney.

Besides the fact that the rollercoasters are outdoors, I see nothing that makes six flags anything near IOA. All the rest of the attractions are as good as what Disney makes, and the theming in everything else is incredible. You just have to go there and see for yourself.

I find it remarkable that anyone can think the themes are better at IOA and US or that they flow better. How hard is to make Super Hero's flow? Please, there is nothing like the feeling you get when you see Main Street and then travel around the "magic" kingdom to different lands. And what about Epcot and the countries. Walking from "place" to "place." How could anyone say there is no flow? Each park has a different appeal but all in all there is nothing like seeing Cinderella's castle for the first time or watching my son greet Mickey Mouse. Each person has their own opinion and that is great but I will gladly take Disney anyday of the week over either of those parks. The memories, the spirit and the amazing experiences in Disney World are beyond compare.

Originally posted by tiggerzpalz
I find it remarkable that anyone can think the themes are better at IOA and US or that they flow better. How hard is to make Super Hero's flow? Please, there is nothing like the feeling you get when you see Main Street and then travel around the "magic" kingdom to different lands. And what about Epcot and the countries. Walking from "place" to "place." How could anyone say there is no flow? Each park has a different appeal but all in all there is nothing like seeing Cinderella's castle for the first time or watching my son greet Mickey Mouse. Each person has their own opinion and that is great but I will gladly take Disney anyday of the week over either of those parks. The memories, the spirit and the amazing experiences in Disney World are beyond compare.

Ok, how about this...let's take IOA and the Lost Continent for example. As soon as you enter the bridge from Seuss Landing, everything is themed, and I mean EVERYTHING. The fences, the lights, the trash cans, even the AOL kiosk...to the medieval style games, and all the shops which sell some very cool items not found anywhere else. Through all of this is some great themed music throughout...and as you cross the bridge to Jurassic Park, you'll hear the music change, slowly, one instrument goes soft, then the next, then you simply hear a few drums, then just one. Then you begin to hear the JP theme start. It's all done brilliantly.

That's the kind of thing I like to refer to when I speak of perfect theming.

That's the kind of thing I like to refer to when I speak of perfect theming.
Me too. Not to mention the piped in converstions you can hear in the little corners of the park

Originally posted by sha_lyn
Me too. Not to mention the piped in converstions you can hear in the little corners of the park

Oh yeah, like in the Port of Entry, you can hear a poker game
going on upstairs to the right, it's funny to listen to.

There's also a armored truck outside of Dr Doom that has sounds coming out of it I've heard (But I haven't gotten to it yet to check it out, though I am going back this Friday !!! :D )

Universal put a LOT of subtle details into everything in the park, IOAcentral.com has a good write-up on each island and all of the little details.

Don't forget to listen to the litte 'twinkle-twinkle' sounds as you leave each island. I always keep an ear out for it, really neat! :D

Btw, I wish Universal would put that effort into USF. The music selections really puzzle me. :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter