Has Disney Been Out-Valued By Universal?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Value may be misinterpreted to describe the actual cash outlay for a UO vacation as being less than a WDW vacation for the same number of days
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agreed.

quote:
How much entertainment value any one person gets from the money they spend at either place is very subjective...That gets back to the key question of why people perceive that they are getting a strictly dollars based better value at Universal, if that is what most people think - which I'm not sure it is.

My perception of value as a customer is based on the cash outlay, the entertainment facotr, the quality of the facilities. It is impossible for me to say USF/IOA is or isn't a better value. I can't dismiss the other variables to this equation. It can just cost less if I want it to. As can Disney. Disney is still a better value for me as an individual and for my family.

My perception of value as a customer is based on the cash outlay, the entertainment facotr, the quality of the facilities.
I agree that you need to consider all these items in truely determining value. I imagine that most people do. Sometimes I wonder if there are some people who simply see 'less expensive' equating to 'more value', regardless of what you are actually purchasing.

Not to bring up an entirely different topic but it upsets me when people consider DAK a half day park but say nothing of IOA. I have never been to IOA (even during peak season) where I did not finish everything in the park once, with at least two trips on Hulk, Spidey, and Dueling Dragons by 2PM.

Not to bring up an entirely different topic
I wouldn't say this is off topic. If people question the value of AK based on the fact that you can see everything in a 'half day', one would have to consider the same in assessing the value offered by IOA.

One thing that I am not seeing on the posts yet. If you purchase an annual pass from Universal they will give you a discount on Food and Merchandise in almost all locations. The only location that I've noticed that they won't give you a discount is at the food carts. I don't remember the discount but I think it is 20% on Food and 10% on Merchandise. When was the last time that you heard of Disney giving out a discount in the park??? I never saw it except when I was a cast member.

LEt me throw in an actual case. My DH's 20 something cousin and BF rented a condo and planned on 5 days at WDW. The 5 day PH was 230. THey found the USO 5 day pass for 89.oo plus seaworld 2 day pass for 50.00. Guess where they ended up going. They had a great time and felt they got a "great deal" with these tickets and didn't miss going to WDW at all! Wether the value is actuall can be debated but they truely felt they got the better end of the stick!

Now throw in the onsite resorts and FOTL. Sorry but Universal is gaining.

In reasponse to Robert Walker, I don't know about WDW, but DisneyLAND's AP gives you a 10-20% discount at almost all food locations in DCA/DL even at some of the pushcarts. I would assume WDW is a similar value.

Now as to the question of Apples to apples. I think its useless to compare secret code discount rates. Most people that travel to either park don't know about them. Book a package deal through the website and see how the prices compare. That's how most peopple book there vacation and thus that's how most people will determine value. I booked a 7 night package staying at the allstar music just to see what it would cost the other day and I paid about $1500 not including flights.

Most normal people don't scower the internet looking for the ultra secret fairbanks Alaska code number that will get them a room for half price. they pay near rack rate.

At best they get whatever dicount the travel agent can get them. That is what you should compare, because that is what most people pay.

While you may be able to do IOA in a half of a day time wise, most of your time is spent on attractions. DAK does not have the number of Popular attractions that IOA has.

DAK's just happen to have slightly longer lines.

While you may be able to do IOA in a half of a day time wise, most of your time is spent on attractions. DAK does not have the number of Popular attractions that IOA has.

DAK's just happen to have slightly longer lines.
Spoken like a true............................ah, never mind ;)

Popular attractions? That is sure subjective :rolleyes:. I also have to disagree with the lines bit. We wait on NO lines at DAK and still can't see everything we want to between the hours of 9 and 5.

>>>Popular attractions? That is sure subjective<<<

You're right, it is. I am typically RUNNING out of Animal Kingdom by 12pm (that is, of course, if I even bother to make the drive over there) because I have already seen the Safari, Kali, CTX, and Bug and want to get out of the heat.

At Islands of Adventure, I am typically being dragged out of the park kicking and screaming at closing time because I want to get in more rides on The Hulk or Spiderman.

I guarantee that I will spend much more time in AK whenever Forbidden Mountain opens, but it will definitely pale in comparison to how long I stay at Islands of Adventure.

P.S. I should also add that the dozens of screaming 4 year olds also has a profound impact on my experience at a Disney park, and the lack of them at Islands of Adventure really cuts down on the "I'm getting the hell out of here before my eardrums burst" moments. Of course, that is really a problem with parents and not Disney, but it is something to think about none the less.

Here's the viewpoint from someone who works on cash alone. I took my 6 year old to Disney World last September for 5 nights at the All Star Sports, Fall Fantasy Package with tickets for something like $950.00, airfare was cheap (Dal to Orl - $300.00 both of us round trip), took $600.00 cash, was able to do the whole vacation for under $2,000 which is a very good deal considering once your inside Disney all you have to pay for is meals and souveniors. With Disney having 4 parks and Disneyquest and all the water parks we were never without something to do and still didn't see everything. This year my son wants to go to Universal & IOA because he's such a Spiderman freak, I've been looking and looking and looking and for the money you can't stay onsite at Universal as cheap as Disney, I don't want to rent a car so would have to stay within walking distance or shuttle busses (which I tend to stay away from unless they are Disney transportation). My thinking on all this is for the money Disney is the better value. I just can't see spending more or the same money for Universal with only two parks (one of which is just like our Six Flags here at home) but then again it depends upon the person, I personally am a Disney Freak, been going since 1971 and would go every week if I could, I also couldn't fathom being in Orlando and not going to Disney.

Maybe one day we could do both Universal and Disney in the same trip, that's an idea, time to start researching again.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I should also add that the dozens of screaming 4 year olds also has a profound impact on my experience at a Disney park, and the lack of them at Islands of Adventure really cuts down on the "I'm getting the hell out of here before my eardrums burst" moments.
In my continued effort to balance...

What cuts into my IOA experience is the throngs of shabbily dressed, fully tattooed and fully pierced teens smoking everywhere and shouting obscenities at one another, between bouts of pushing and spitting at each other and throwing food wrappers onto the ground. One particularly nice episode on Sunday of this past weekend involved a group of the above mentioned and the Mystic Fountain.

Not that there aren't any of these at WDW, just many fewer than at IOA. Similar, but in reverse, to the crying 4 year olds.

Just my two cents.... When we went on our last Disney vacation we had to try out IOA. Yes, it is a great park. Yes, the rides can't be beat. But they need to work on their people skills. The staff seemed bored and often answered our questions rudely. Even my older daughter stated "I've got the feeling we aren't in Disney anymore." We did have a great day but you just don't get the same atmosphere as you get in the Disney parks. Will we return to IOA? Yes, Will we spend most of our time at Disney Parks- You bet. Will we have fun, for sure! Can't wait to go!

I think we are trying to give value (not the type in the thread title) to things that are unique to each visiter.

Some people will find a better value at WDW with their pre-made travel and accomidations. Others will find Universal cheeper for their needs.

Not that there aren't any of these at WDW, just many fewer than at IOA. Similar, but in reverse, to the crying 4 year olds.

Or they just happen to be more dispersed until the parks close and they all present themselves at pleasure island.

The crying children is an issue I often associate with a guest trying to "get their moneys worth". Not sure how value is being measured in that example.

One item I have yet to see mentioned is that Disney references Value in terms of its resorts to diffentiate price. This impies "less expensive" to a guest who is looking to save money on this vacation. Since these resorts are no frills and priced a bit higher than the market how is this a value for the onsite guest? The only advantage appears to be free parking or free bussing which isn't much relatively speaking.

YoHo, I've had an annual pass at WDW for 5 years. I've never seen a discount on food ever there. The only place that you can sometimes when it is the 6th Sat of the month, the moon is setting on a solar flair can you get a discount at Downtown Disney. Trying to get a discount out of WDW is like having a tooth pulled without novacane at the dentist office.

Trying to get a discount out of WDW is like having a tooth pulled without novacane at the dentist office.
While WDW AP benefits aren't great, it isn't quite this bad. FYI, here are the dining discounts.........................

10% off of food and non-alcoholic beverages during lunch hours, Monday through Friday, for Passholder and up to three guests at selected Walt Disney World resort hotel table service locations: Sand Trap Bar and Grill, Concourse Steakhouse, ESPN Club, Trail's End Buffeteria, Grand Floridian Cafe, Olivia's Cafe, Kona Cafe, Whispering Canyon Cafe, Yacht Club Galley.

10% off of food and non-alcoholic beverages during lunch hours, Monday through Friday, for Passholder and up to three guests at selected Epcot table service locations: Alfredo's, Biergarten, Garden Grill, Le Cellier, Chefs de France, Teppanyaki, Nine Dragons, Akershus, Marrakesh, Rose and Crown, San Angel, Coral Reef.

That is just the parks and resorts. In addition, there are discounts at many of the DTD restaurants.

In addition to dining discounts there are some DTD merchandise discounts.

Exactly my point. Most passholders live in Florida. Most of the time they go there on weekends. There are no weekend discounts available other than at DTD. That is also another reason that I love my Universal Annual pass. They don't care what day of the week it is. They give you a discount everywhere except for the food carts and some of them are starting to. You can use it at the resorts, the park and even city walk. I also forgot Busch parks don't care what day of the week it is either they give you discounts for food and merchandise every day. It is amazing that a park like disney charges as much as they do for the annual passes and then they don't get much in return. Its funny the other chains will even discount their annual pass.

Most passholders live in Florida.
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe you are right - I don't know. It seems that a FL resident AP couple with the FL resident dining plan would get you all sorts of discounts. As a FL resident you can do pretty well. It is us poor schleps who don't live in FL that really suffer.

I agree, Universal's AP does seem to give better discounts.

To be honest you can come up with any hypothetical situation that one is better than the other.

So to throw in my two cents!!!

If you are staying off site Universal/Sea World is the better deal. On site I'd have to go with Disney because it has a much larger array of things to do when you are trapped in Orlando without a car. And that plays into my visitation habits...if I stay off site the furthest I'll venture into Disney is one of the water parks or DTD. The issue of 2 to 3 Parks versus 4 parks is a bit of non-issue.

A group that has never been to either could see everything in Universal/Sea World over the course of week with a few repeats of things they loved. Same group going to Disney would not be able to repeat things they loved...and probably would not see everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter