Has Disney Already Built a Fifth Gate? (Kind of)

Paging Tom Morrow

DIS Veteran
There’s a quote that’s been attributed to Henry Ford that states, “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” While Ford may or may not have said that, the business truth behind that is simple: listen to more than the words of what your customers want and figure out how to meet their real desires.

For many Disney fans, the thought of a fifth gate is something we think we really want. However, is it something we really desire? For some the answer is yes, particularly when thinking of the once-rumored Dark Kingdom that would feature various Disney Villains. For others, the desire to see a fifth gate added is more about expanding the theme park experience in a way that would include new rides and more space to handle what seems to be ever-growing crowds.

Consider the following…...

In the year 2000, the four main Disney theme parks in Florida combined to draw 43.2 million customers. As of 2018, that number grew to a whopping 58.4 million. That’s a growth of 15.2 million customers or an average of over 10,000 guests per park per average day. That sure seems significant and appears to justify the need for a fifth gate just to offset the increase in attendance, but what if I told you, Disney already added the equivalent of the fifth gate during those same 17 years. I know it seems crazy, but hear me out.
During the last 10 years, these are the major additions we’ve seen or will see shortly to the four main Disney theme parks in Florida:

Magic Kingdom:
  • Expanded Fantasyland from 2010 and 2014 to include:
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train***
  • Under the Sea – Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle
  • Be Our Guest Restaurant
  • Additional ride vehicle for Dumbo
  • Announced Future Addition:
  • Tron Light Cycle Power Run***
Epcot:
  • Announced Future Additions:
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Roller Coaster***
  • Ratatouille
  • Mary Poppins
  • Space 220 Restaurant
Hollywood Studios:
  • Toy Story Land Additions:
  • Slinky Dog Coaster***
  • Toy Story Mania
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge:
  • Smugglers’ Run***
  • Rise of the Resistance***
Animal Kingdom:
  • Pandora: World of Avatar:
  • Flight of Passage***
  • Navi River Journey
*** indicates E-ticket caliber ride

All told, that’s an addition of at least seven E-ticket type rides, two new signature dining experiences and numerous other attractions. For comparison, Epcot had just three E-ticket type rides (Soarin’, Test Track and Frozen), Hollywood Studios had just two E-ticket type rides (Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror) and Animal Kingdom featured just Expedition Everest. These new additions will encompass more E-ticket type experiences than those three parks combined.
Now, getting back to the original concept, Disney is attempting to give most of their customers what they truly want: more E-ticket type entertainment options and they’ve done it in a way that is significantly more cost effective for shareholders. By expanding within or next to their existing parks, Disney realizes the following benefits that could not be attained by building a stand-a-lone fifth gate:
  • Fill existing table service restaurants to higher capacity based on increased park attendance
  • Limit need for additional bus service to new destination, which allows for greater utilization of existing buses and minimizes costs associated with need to drive additional mileage
  • Allows for better utilization of scheduled theme park labor resources
  • Allows for better utilization of backstage labor resources
  • Eliminate need to provide utility resources to undeveloped area of the resort
  • Increases utilization of non-E-ticket type rides in existing parks
  • Increases average time spent in parks by typical park guest
  • Does not increase the number of delivery points to backstage areas for required supplies
Now, will Universal Orlando’s addition of Epic Kingdom have an affect of Disney? Of course. Is it truly because Universal added a third gate? Not really. Universal had almost no more space to add to Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure. Their only pathway to expand was in the form of a brand-new park. If the ability to increase existing park space was available, it would be a pretty safe bet to say they’d expand either of their parks in the manner they did for their Harry Potter themed expansion. That being said, when Universal and Disney are competing for our money, the winners are us, the guests. We begin to see new innovations and concepts that only increase our enjoyment at the parks, so let’s continue to enjoy the current trend of expansion without regard for if it comes within an existing park or not.

A 5th park would lose efficiency by complicating operations and put them at bigger risk should attendance drop. I understand why they resist.
Very happy to see all the expansions! Hope it helps crowds and they keep building.

The also need to expand park hours. Right now everything is fine because early openings and EEMHs but after Nov 3 the parks will become a crowded mess again.

I am a huge Villains fan. However, Disney has tried the villains theme in several places (Villains party at DS, Villains dinner at 1900 Park Fair, villains shop at DS, Villain character meet and greets, etc) and it doesn't seem to fly. I think it's too scary for kids under... 6 years old, maybe, and if you have a kid in the "scare-age" none of the family is going to experience those things.

I don't think Disney needs a 5th park due to crowd size. What they need to do is expand their park hours (like in the old days, when MK would be open until 11 or 12 pretty regularly except in winter), reinstate evening magic hours and morning magic hours (without charge), and open all rides to capacity (instead of running only one track at a time). This would give patrons more time in the parks and more ride opportunity, shorter lines, and thin the herd a bit, so to speak. OH, and maybe get park-specific merchandise back, so people have a reason to go shopping for something new instead of the same old Disney merchandise you see everywhere, hahaha!

Disney had plans to build Disney’s America in Virginia. It fell through because of the protesters about building it in a historical site. Perhaps it could be built in WDW.

Something has got to give. We were just there for four days. Crowds were supposed to be moderate but I barely saw any empty pavement the entire time there so I can't imagine what heavy looks like. We won't be paying a premium to be sardines in a can again. I wish I could take my daughter to the WDW of 20+ years ago because the current one isn't very magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter