Has DCL done away with isolating in one area of the ship?

hechris

Earning My Ears
I wrote to Disney asking what would happen if a member of our party tests positive onboard. I'd read here you'd be moved to an inside/ocean view room on deck 2 or 5 for isolation. According to this agent that's not the case. I hope she's right, being able to go out on our verandah would make quarantining much more bearable!

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

If you or someone you travel with tests positive for COVID-19 you will be asked to quarantine. If you have a private Verandah you will still have access to it. If you are given the all-clear by the medial crew onboard you will be able to leave isolation.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!

I wrote to Disney asking what would happen if a member of our party tests positive onboard. I'd read here you'd be moved to an inside/ocean view room on deck 2 or 5 for isolation. According to this agent that's not the case. I hope she's right, being able to go out on our verandah would make quarantining much more bearable!

Thank you for choosing a Disney Cruise Line vacation!

I would be happy to assist you.

If you or someone you travel with tests positive for COVID-19 you will be asked to quarantine. If you have a private Verandah you will still have access to it. If you are given the all-clear by the medial crew onboard you will be able to leave isolation.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Have a Magical Day!
I suspect this is another case of phone cast members not knowing how things are working in practice on the ships. They can’t have people isolate in balcony rooms as the isolation rooms need to be negatively pressured (where air is drawn in from the hallway when the door is open, not infected air being released into the hall).

Land-based CM is wrong.

Beyond the pressure issue, they deliver necessary stuff to people in quarantine wearing hazmat gear and they do not want them traipsing all over the ship in that, or being a big part of visuals for non-quarantine passengers.

I appreciate your responses. It's so frustrating that when you go straight to the source you still can't get accurate info.:badpc:

I keep wondering what is happening to all those people originally booked in the now "isolation" section of the ship (like deck 2 or 5). At port upgrades?

I keep wondering what is happening to all those people originally booked in the now "isolation" section of the ship (like deck 2 or 5). At port upgrades?
I have read of many people booked on deck 2 receiving upgrades prior to their sail date.
When we were on the Dream last week, the hallways to deck 5 staterooms were blocked off at the elevators.

Land-based CM is wrong.

Beyond the pressure issue, they deliver necessary stuff to people in quarantine wearing hazmat gear and they do not want them traipsing all over the ship in that, or being a big part of visuals for non-quarantine passengers.

thats really weird. Why are they using hazmat gear instead of proper ppe?

I appreciate your responses. It's so frustrating that when you go straight to the source you still can't get accurate info.:badpc:
Well, not sure someone who is sitting in a call center lord knows where (maybe in their living room in another state) who may have never been on a Disney cruise is a reliable source.

For the safety of the castmembers. Much more protection than PPE.

that doesn’t make them safer. People who work in hospitals with covid patients are using ppe not hazmat suits. Ridiculous. Also, underlining and bolding an incorrect statement does not make it more credible. Medical ppe is appropriate, not hazmat gear.

Last edited:
that doesn’t make them safer. People who work in hospitals with covid patients are using ppe not hazmat suits. Ridiculous. Also, underlining and bolding an incorrect statement does not make it more credible. Medical ppe is appropriate, not hazmat gear.
Not here. Been retired 6 months but when I sent news crews to hospitals the covid area staff all had hazmat gear and our crews were required to wear them too. Although under OSHA rules hazmat suits are considered PPEs. My DIL worked in the PR department of a University Hospital and was responsible for taking photos of when the first covid vaccines arrived, and SHE had to wear a hazmat suit.

EDITED: Timing is everything. Got off the computer, turned on the CBS Morning news, and they just did a story on a covid ward in a New York hospital, shooting through a window. All the staff in side were in hazmat suits.

Last edited:
Well, not sure someone who is sitting in a call center lord knows where (maybe in their living room in another state) who may have never been on a Disney cruise is a reliable source.
Actually I e-mailed DCL for the info. If they don't know the answer they should forward the question to someone who does, rather than give incorrect information.

Actually I e-mailed DCL for the info. If they don't know the answer they should forward the question to someone who does, rather than give incorrect information.
You realize that things are changing on the ships on a daily basis AFTER the ships sail. Sorry, totally unreasonable to expect someone who is in a call center to have all the information, things are changing too quickly.

You realize that things are changing on the ships on a daily basis AFTER the ships sail. Sorry, totally unreasonable to expect someone who is in a call center to have all the information, things are changing too quickly.
I don't believe their policy regarding isolating guests is changing daily. I also think it's reasonable to let guests know what would happen to them if they test positive mid cruise.

When I read your first post, I thought the response sounded a lot like the stock response for that type of question regarding getting sick while onboard:
If you or someone you travel with (insert specific illness/concern here) you will be asked to quarantine. If you have a private Verandah you will still have access to it. If you are given the all-clear by the medial crew onboard you will be able to leave isolation.
The public facing CMs, both on the phone and fielding the email requests, have a playbook, much like 911 people do, like a flow chart and with questions and responses.

I think it’s such a fluid situation that there isn’t necessarily one answer- the answer for a 3/4 night may be different than 7

but how would you respond if you discovered your next door balcony neighbors tested positive and were chilling outside next to you? You’d probably quickly become a ‘close contact’ because THEY wanted to stay in their room?Or because they didn’t stay in their room (cause if 10 rooms are spread out no one can watch them)

I don't believe their policy regarding isolating guests is changing daily. I also think it's reasonable to let guests know what would happen to them if they test positive mid cruise.
I think PrincessShmoo's response puts it in perspective. Just not information they have.

I have come to accept that disboards is MUCH more reliable as a source of info these days than phone CMs. And it's not just the Covid-19 stuff--I think they have a staffing shortage and are using non-DCL customer service folks who really aren't very knowledgeable about the cruise line. I've had them recently botch online check in dates, transportation options, and dinner seating info. I don't blame them. I know us disboards folks have invested a LOT of time in studying all things DCL including the recent changes. Nice to have such a group of helpful people to rely on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts