Has COVID-19 changed the way you travel (maybe even forever)?

For me, the risk of a positive covid test taking two weeks to clear is slim - well actually, you'll likely test positive for months after having Covid, so you aren't waiting for a negative test. You are waiting for an affidavit from a doctor to get you on a plane - you don't have to wait for the test to be negative - you just have to have a doctor look at you and say you aren't likely to be contagious - no fever, no cough. For the fully vaccinated, that is likely to be less than two weeks. A friend had a pretty bad break through infection, five days of being "I don't want to move" sick.

Plus, for me, the consequences of spending two weeks quarantined while ill are low. My 23 year old son lives at home and takes care of the pets and the house. If I'm sick, I'm not working. If I'm not sick - just Covid positive - an internet connection lets me do my job from a hotel room. My laptop travels with me because I run a small business and therefore am the only person who can take care of things like payroll. My husbands boss spends six weeks working from Germany every year pre-Covid - and has stated my husband can work from anywhere in the world if he wants (as long as he retains U.S. residence for tax purposes).

So a risk analysis says my risks have not significantly increased for international travel for Covid post vaccine (and without additional variants) than they were pre-Covid. YMMV
So what countries have you traveled to during Covid?

So what countries have you traveled to during Covid?

Peru was our first post Covid out of the country trip. It looks like I may be in Costa Rica this summer and England in the Fall.

On the other hand, Disney is not vaguely on the agenda right now.

Peru was our first post Covid out of the country trip. It looks like I may be in Costa Rica this summer and England in the Fall.

On the other hand, Disney is not vaguely on the agenda right now.
Nice. We're flying into London for a cruise in July. No other big trips are planned at the moment. We've canceled Japan twice maybe someday we'll get there. WDW, Universal, and DL have been our escape over the 19 months. We also did one four-day cruise, but I found waiting for the covid test results before boarding to be very stressful.

We are headed to Austria in March and my folks are headed to Argentina in December- we are ready to get moving again.

I'm just back from my first Covid international trip, travel from Ireland to England to see my sister.

I worked from home and isolated for the 2 weeks before my trip and I will do the same after the trip.

Outward journey from Ireland to England
  • Booked a taxi to the airport and requested a car with a protective screen
  • Wore a mask in the taxi
  • Used the airline App to check in and had boarding pass on my phone
  • Wore a double mask in the airport, medical and 2 layer Disney Store mask
  • Very aware of touching surfaces and using hand sanitizer after touching surfaces
  • Very aware of people bunching up when not needed and being more observant of open spaces and taking my time walking and allowing space between me and others.
  • Very aware of the time spent in crowded areas like shops and food places, get what I need and move along to a less crowded area.
  • Not eating or drinking in crowded food areas, took my coffee to a less crowded area and kept mask on between sips.
  • Using anti bac wipes on my hands before and after eating and drinking.
  • Using restrooms in low crowd areas
  • Wore a double mask, medical and 2 layer Disney Store mask during the flight and not eating or drinking during the flight , it was only 45 minutes flying time.
  • I didn't use the tray table during the flight and used hand sanitizer as soon as I fixed my seat belt and didnt touch arm rests.
During my trip
  • Wore a mask in all indoor areas such as buses, trains, shops etc even though not required by UK law.
  • No indoor dining , outdoor seating areas provided by city council and almost all restaurants and cafes.
  • Did not go to the cinema or theatre
On the return to Ireland
  • Had to fill out a Passenger Locator Form online for The Irish Government Covid Track and Trace
  • Had to show my Covid Vaccine Cert and Passenger Locator form at the airline check in
  • Got food before security and ate outside the airport at the seating area for the bus stop, anti bac wipe before and after eating
  • As above when in the airport and on the flight, wore a double mask, used anti bac wipes and hand sanitizer, aware of people bunching up when not needed, staying in less crowded areas, no eating or drinking on the flight
Sounds relaxing. 😂

Yes it has changed the way we are thinking about travel right now... not sure how its going to play out going forward..

We had a trip planned to Japan, and thanks to covid of course we did not make it there... This is a bucket list destination for DH and I... not sure we will make this one...

We had planned a trip to NYC with DD, Son in Law and grandson who's 6 for a long weekend during the holidays.. See the Rockettes Christmas spectacular, go see the Dino's and the mummy's at the Met. DD said that was a no go, she did not feel like it was safe to go there yet... So we just decided to stay home..

We had planned on going to France next year... Paris is our favorite city in the world... We put it off until the 2023 for now.. So instead of a international trip next year we are taking our DD and grandson to Disneyland... for spring break...

We had planned a cruise, and right now with the way thing are at some of the ports of call, this is off the table for now..

DH and I have taken a several road trips, NC- renting a cabin 3 times - Pensacola Beach and Biloxi, Trips to GA, Jeep Beach in Daytona, we have hauled our boat alot in the last 2 years, especially when every thing was shut down... DH works in essential services and I am my parents care giver, so we never stopped going out.

Besides the trip to Disneyland next year, not really sure where we want to go... We are thinking about maybe somewhere out West, just not sure where to go..

I think with the way things are right now, with inflation slowly creeping up, the price of gas sky rocketing which really comes into play with road trips, and the cost of car rentals is ridiculous, Air fare cost are really shocking, and what is happening on the planes, all the bad behavior... Hotels cost are absolutely insane, and they are charging you more and you are getting less, for your money...
Then the mask mandates, and restrictions come into play... and its all over the map, business to business and from city to city, and town to town and state to state... then looking at international travel, testing, and retesting, and all that...

I think this is going to give everyone a cause to pause, and rethink where they are going, how they want to travel, and what they are willing to spend... Plus you really have to research where you are going for what the rules are, along with whats open for business, and hours, and such, so more planning will come into play... I'm a planner, so I am happy with all the planning...

COVID has definitely added an extra stressor to travel, but I've been able to travel quite a bit still. I work at the U.S. Embassy in Brazil, so my daughter and I have been able to travel many places here without too much hassle. For regional trips in Brazil (Foz do Iguaçu, Bonito, Lençois Maranhenses, and the Pantanal) there were no COVID testing requirements, just protocols like masking, distancing, etc. For international trips (WDW, ABD Costa Rica, Galápagos Islands and Quito, bush n beach in Kenya) there was lots of pre-planning, testing, requirements, QR codes, paperwork, etc. On one hand our trips to Ecuador and Kenya were MUCH cheaper because we went right after they opened for tourism, but we also had to spend money for PCR testing that added up (we still saved thousands as compared to pre-pandemic though).

Next month, we're heading to Peru for our 2nd ABD and we're super excited. I actually think having the vaccination requirement will make travel a bit easier, because we don't have to have as much physical distance and the river rafting is on. Fully vaxx'd don't have to have a PCR/Antigen test to enter Peru, but will still need one to return to the States.

All in all, travel requires much more planning than pre-pan, but it's totally worth it! I figure in a couple hundred extra to account for testing procedures and time, because flights are a bit finicky nowadays.

I was hoping to visit my 88 year old dad next year and hoping to go on a cruise. With the way things are going not sure. See what happens with this new variant O and been watching YouTube prep videos about some places being in lockdown. Hope there’s no lockdowns here in the U.S. We are vaccinated but to much going on. See what the numbers are after the holidays. I’m still putting in $$ to our vacation fund

Both myself and my husband are in healthcare, and we have two girls in high school. We had to look at the risks and the quarantine requirements when we came home. That being said, we got some of them most incredible travel deals last year. We flew to Mexico and went to all all-inclusive for $175 a night for 4 people - airplane was empty and the resort was empty; this was a quick weekend getaway. We also went to Aulani over Christmas; this trip was planned pre covid but we booked the air in May and it was less than $2K, for four people, direct from Newark, we even upgraded to first about a month prior for $300 a person. This year I have to been to Mexico and Punta Cana, sans family as these trips were a girls trip and sister trip. WIth the family we have been to Disney World a few times and sailed last month on the Magic.

So has it changed the way we travel? Yes and no. The yes because travel to Europe - my husbands family is there and we haven't been able to go back, and they haven't been able to come here. And no, because we are trying to get back to as much normal as we can.

Both myself and my husband are in healthcare, and we have two girls in high school. We had to look at the risks and the quarantine requirements when we came home. That being said, we got some of them most incredible travel deals last year. We flew to Mexico and went to all all-inclusive for $175 a night for 4 people - airplane was empty and the resort was empty; this was a quick weekend getaway. We also went to Aulani over Christmas; this trip was planned pre covid but we booked the air in May and it was less than $2K, for four people, direct from Newark, we even upgraded to first about a month prior for $300 a person. This year I have to been to Mexico and Punta Cana, sans family as these trips were a girls trip and sister trip. WIth the family we have been to Disney World a few times and sailed last month on the Magic.

So has it changed the way we travel? Yes and no. The yes because travel to Europe - my husbands family is there and we haven't been able to go back, and they haven't been able to come here. And no, because we are trying to get back to as much normal as we can.
Wow, you must have a lot of vacation time to take than many trips and meet quarantine requirements. We retired this year, but the two week quarantine requirement for each trip just didn't add up with only 5 weeks vacation a year. We got a booster last week, and will take our first over night trip in a couple weeks. It will be by car, not plane. Haven't been away overnight since March 2020.

Wow, you must have a lot of vacation time to take than many trips and meet quarantine requirements. We retired this year, but the two week quarantine requirement for each trip just didn't add up with only 5 weeks vacation a year. We got a booster last week, and will take our first over night trip in a couple weeks. It will be by car, not plane. Haven't been away overnight since March 2020.
There were no quarantine requirements for this year at all. The only quarantine requirement was when we returned from Hawaii, our girls had to for school, but we planned it so they only missed a few days as school was still closed.

Enjoy your first trip back to traveling!!

There were no quarantine requirements for this year at all. The only quarantine requirement was when we returned from Hawaii, our girls had to for school, but we planned it so they only missed a few days as school was still closed.

Enjoy your first trip back to traveling!!
Wow, no quarantine requirement this year? I retired July 16th and there was still a 10 day quarantine (down from 14 days ) if you traveled more than 100 miles from home then. They had made it through July 2021 without a single case of covid in the building. But they have had a couple since everyone returned to work in the buildin.g

Wow, no quarantine requirement this year? I retired July 16th and there was still a 10 day quarantine (down from 14 days ) if you traveled more than 100 miles from home then. They had made it through July 2021 without a single case of covid in the building. But they have had a couple since everyone returned to work in the buildin.g
I was referring to the state that we live in. Each place of employment and school have different protocols, thankfully ours did not .

First class is sooo nice on long haul trips and $300 a person is an incredible deal. Wow! Going all the way to Hawaii it makes such a difference in how you feel when you get there. My brother has done a few trips to Mexico during the pandemic too with some great deals and really enjoyed his time there. He was tempted to stay a few more weeks and work down there remotely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter