Has anything gotten BETTER over time?

Bjaiken77

DIS Veteran
I’ve read a ton of write ups about how DVC members got more, paid less, and the experience was more advantageous in the past. Has ANYTHING gotten better? No is an acceptable and somewhat expected answer.

I’d like to know this as well. We’re considering resale, since perks of buying direct seem grossly underwhelming.

I've only been a member for about seven years, but from my own experience and from hearing about what things used to be like, I'd say one thing that's improved is the member website (in terms of services offered). The site is absolutely not perfect and has a lot of flaws, but the availability tool has been improved over time, the ability to modify reservations online is pretty universally liked, etc. It seems that is at least one aspect of membership that they do try to improve over time (though sometimes slowly).

I’d say the biggest plus has been the online booking ability and increased hours for MS. When I joined it was only 9 to 5.

Now they have added being able to use OTU points and transferred points online.

That is pretty big as it allows me to constantly check availability and do what I need to do without having to call!!!

Timeshares are generally not a good deal. DVC is somewhat of an exception to this rule in that their value always seems to go up and you can normally sell your points for more than you paid for them and to willing buyers. The point being, buy it, try it and if it does not suit you, dump it.

When I bought in 1999, the only ticket discount was 10% off length of stay. The Gold AP perk is huge, assuming it comes back for new. It’s about $500 off compared to a general public Platinum (but has blackouts for 2 weeks around Easter and Christmas). I have a renewal right now so am good. There were no lounges then, no member events, no online reservations. Not sure there was even a merchandise discount.

All I know is when you're facing a $750+ per night room rate (and climbing each year) to stay at the Polynesian during Christmas, and that's where your family wants to go every year, DVC looks like a deal.

Perks come and go.

Yeah - the only thing 'Perks' seem to be doing these days is going...

As far as resort cost is concerned, DVC members appear to have a bad habit of making this comparison. With no perks, staying offsite - or near offsite at WDW - can be done for much, much less. I have read recent posts on these boards where visitors rented houses - with their own 'private' pool - for a fraction of Disney - or DVC - resort cost. With no perks, there is very little tie to the Disney bubble, so visitors are free to explore many cost effective alternatives. Belief that your DVC annual cost (plus that enormous up front payment) is far superior to the Disney resort rack rate - and there are no alternatives - is just your confirmation bias talking.

The ability to book online.

If you're there at the correct time the Moonlight Magic events are way better than the Welcome Home Wednesday or the Christmas events but it's a tradeoff in that not everyone gets the chance to participate. And we lost the ornament when we lost the Christmas event. And I'm sorry but these "member events" should be for all members or stop calling it Disney Vacation "Club".

Additional DVC resorts is nice too although I would have been fine if it hadn't changed from the time we first purchased.

Last edited:
We've been DVC since '08 and have never regretted our purchase. I think people confuse DVC with WDW theme parks and think being at the parks is included in the vacation club. As cash vacationers using AP discounts we couldn't afford more than the mid-level resorts by the 2000's. Being DVC members we've stayed at the Poly several times which is one of the most expensive cash venues and a venue we haven't been able to afford since we stayed in 2001 on our daughters cast member discount.

We've been DVC since '08 and have never regretted our purchase. I think people confuse DVC with WDW theme parks and think being at the parks is included in the vacation club. As cash vacationers using AP discounts we couldn't afford more than the mid-level resorts by the 2000's. Being DVC members we've stayed at the Poly several times which is one of the most expensive cash venues and a venue we haven't been able to afford since we stayed in 2001 on our daughters cast member discount.
Anyone who bought into DVC in 2008 has made out like bandits. I’m especially jealous of the early VGC buyers, and kicking myself for not joining them. Back then I just thought “Timeshare? No way!” without bothering to do the research into how DVC is very different, and vastly superior, to normal timeshares.

You know, just the basic DVC stay is a tremendous value. Our recent 7 day vacation would have been over 5 grand for the room alone. We would have never paid that and would instead be at a Days Inn or something similar. We are grateful every time we go to Disney that we bought DVC.

Yeah - the only thing 'Perks' seem to be doing these days is going...

As far as resort cost is concerned, DVC members appear to have a bad habit of making this comparison. With no perks, staying offsite - or near offsite at WDW - can be done for much, much less. I have read recent posts on these boards where visitors rented houses - with their own 'private' pool - for a fraction of Disney - or DVC - resort cost. With no perks, there is very little tie to the Disney bubble, so visitors are free to explore many cost effective alternatives. Belief that your DVC annual cost (plus that enormous up front payment) is far superior to the Disney resort rack rate - and there are no alternatives - is just your confirmation bias talking.

To each their own, I don't travel to Disney World to stay off property. We've did that. It's always been more affordable. It's also a hassle and we don't feel like it's as enjoyable.

There are some great (and not so great) hotels near Disney. There are some great on-site Disney Hotels that are reasonably priced per night (Hello, Swan and Dolphin). But if you want to stay in a deluxe Disney resort especially a monorail resort or somewhere with larger room accommodations, you're going to pay a huge premium per night. DVC makes that more affordable long-term especially for repeat visitors.

And the best part? When you're done, sell it! It has a thriving resale market.

I think the discounted stays are great. But why should anyone buy DVC direct if that’s the only appreciable benefit? People sometimes equate perks with “free-bees,” and that certainly is one type of benefit. I honestly don’t care if I have to pay for exclusive access. I just would like it to be made available to the DVC community alone. If I had to pay an operating fee to use DVC lounges, I would do it. But make it available to DVC only. Once the excuse of “expense” is at least curbed, what excuses are left?

I think the discounted stays are great. But why should anyone buy DVC direct if that’s the only appreciable benefit?

I expect most DVC owners don't know you can purchase resale. I knew about DVC, but I didn't know you could purchase resale until The DIS launched a show about it a few years ago (before it became DVC Fan).

Also, I think current owners add-on direct because it's easier, instant and with smaller point contracts there's not always as a wide gap between resale and direct pricing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter