has anyone used a Moby wrap

Rosenichole

Earning My Ears
for an older child my daughter is 15 months and is not walking or standing on her own yet i am worried about standing inline for rides and holding her we have 2 other children so i need my hands free and she gets heavy very fast she weighs about 25 lbs. and does any one know how to wrap it so she is facing forward thanks so much :)

I have a Moby wrap but would not suggest it at Disney. If you have to adjust it you have to unroll 6 feet of fabric and it touches the ground and it is a pain. I loved in when my son was a infant but now we use a Ergo carrier.

It is amazing. My son is almost 24 months old and weights about 30 pounds and I carry him on my back with it all the time. It is the only way i can grocery shop or get things done. With the Ergo you can carry your child facing you on the front or on your back as if you were giving them a piggyback ride.

I have spend so much money on buying carriers.... if only I would have bought this one first.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0041IYOFY/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=19400276136&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17770004101390533352&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B0041IYOFY

Not familiar with the Moby but I used a borrows baby Bojorn (sp) in the lines and she was in the stroller while walking around. Best thing ever. I also had her in it when walking into the plane and it was so helpful as I was meeting people in WDW so I was traveling alone.

I loved the Moby when DD was an infant, but the Ergo was our on-the-go carrier.

The Moby is hard to deal with until you get used to it. I bought one about a month before my son was born, and never took the time to learn how to use it before the trip to Disney we took when he was 3 months old. I still haven't learned how to use it, even though my son was around 2 months old when we bought it. He just turned two a few weeks ago.
I don't think it would be a good choice for a child who is older, but not walking much yet. I think it would be best for a child who you plan on keeping in the carrier most of the time. I also imagine it would be quite warm with all the fabric.

As an alternative, I have a Lillebaby carrier, which I used frequently until my son started walking at around 22 months (late walker). It's similar to the Ergo, but I got it on eBay for around half the cost, since it's not as well known, so there wasn't as much competition. It has a face out option, but as with most (if not all) face out options, it isn't the best for the baby's spine. I still use it occasionally when I need to be hands free and move quickly, but has started getting quite heavy in the carrier, so the Ergo might be a better option as it's padded more through the shoulder straps.

You could look into a ring sling or mei tai. Baby-wearing, in general, is largely preference based, so something that one person raves about might not work for you. There are definitely some types that work better than others once a child gets bigger.

I wouldn't suggest a Moby for a child that big and in Disney in September it will be soo hot.
I would look into a ring sling, Ergo or Babyhawk (they are having a sale on their Mei Tei's and their Oh snap which is their meit Tei with a buckle instead of tying the straps).

They really should not be facing forward especially the bigger they get. Its not good for their little hips.

http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

If you get something like a Beco, Ergo or Boba 3g, you can wear her on your back so she can see out over your shoulder.

Hip carry is also great for letting a child see what's going on around them. I love my ring sling for hip carries. Super easy to get her in and out often and she can look around at whatever she wants. :)

I have a Boba which I used at WDW with DS at 7 months and love it.
The lillebaby carrier which danceintherain mentioned is on sale at babysteals today :)

The K'tan is as comfy as the moby but no wrapping, google it. It's awesome, and way more comfortable to wear for long periods than a structured carrier.

For a baby that size, I'd also go with an Ergo or something similar. You shouldn't face the baby outward, but most of them are fine with that.

I love my Baby K'Tan for my infants, but I wouldn't use it in the heat or with an older baby. The knit fabric is too hot, and you have to use the extra band that ties with an older baby, so it has the extra work of a Moby (not to mention an extra layer of heat).

If you haven't been using a ring sling or other unstructured sling all along, I can't imagine getting used to it this quickly, especially with a heavy toddler. With an Ergo or something similar, you'll get padded shoulder straps and a center carry, which will keep you from leaning over to the side. They aren't cheap, but I think you'll be happy with one.

Moby is not a tight weave and not ideal for support for a baby that size. It is wonderful for small babies. I love my Baby Hawke Mei Tai and got the Boba carrier for our last Disney trip. I would look into other options.

thanks everyone i think i am just go to go with out anything to carrier her in she stands holding on to things so i think we will be ok with standing or siting on the floor if i get tiered of holding her i don't plan on standing in any lines that are to long if i do not have to.

I would not go without a carrier. I wouldn't recommend it for any baby under about 18 months whether they were walking or not. You will end up having to carry her all the time, and it will be exhausting.

Don't go without!

I would recommend the Ergo. She can be in a front-carry facing you (and seeing the view behind you and being entertained by fun people making silly faces they would never make if they were facing you), or on your back facing the same way you are facing. Both are awesome and are way better for BOTH of your spines than having a baby or toddler facing forward in a front-carry.

Ergo is awesome!

I'm sure you must know someone with a carrier to loan you for the trip if you don't want to buy a new one just for Disney.

Unforchinitly I don't know anyone with one but I will have the double stroller as well and can not put that kind of money out right know

Unforchinitly I don't know anyone with one but I will have the double stroller as well and can not put that kind of money out right know

You won't have the stroller in line. I see Ergos on Craigslist all the time or maybe a local consignment store will have one.

A related question: I'm a first-time parent of a 5 mo. old, and I'm trying to anticipate what he'll need when we take him to WDW at 13.5 months.

For those of you using soft-structured carriers or ring slings with kids this age, do you remove them from the carrier for rides? I'm not sure my LO would be happy riding inward-facing in a front carrier, even now.

Seems like a front-facing-out carrier would work well for securing them to your lap on rides, but very few carriers have this as an option. (Right now, I'm considering an Ergo.) I have visions of him trying to jump out of the IASW boats at that age if we don't use a carrier, but maybe I have an over-active imagination. I also have visions of me tripping and falling face first when getting into ride vehicles if I'm wearing a front carrier. :scratchin

All kids are different, but none of mine have minded being faced toward me on rides. There is plenty to see on the sides, and they don't realize the progression of the story that requires facing forward. They're just looking at colors, movements, etc.

As they get older and bigger, carrying them on your hip becomes really uncomfortable. You just can't do that for hours each day with a 20+ pound toddler. Forward facing my seem difficult right now, but it will be your easiest option later.

A related question: I'm a first-time parent of a 5 mo. old, and I'm trying to anticipate what he'll need when we take him to WDW at 13.5 months.

For those of you using soft-structured carriers or ring slings with kids this age, do you remove them from the carrier for rides? I'm not sure my LO would be happy riding inward-facing in a front carrier, even now.

Seems like a front-facing-out carrier would work well for securing them to your lap on rides, but very few carriers have this as an option. (Right now, I'm considering an Ergo.) I have visions of him trying to jump out of the IASW boats at that age if we don't use a carrier, but maybe I have an over-active imagination. I also have visions of me tripping and falling face first when getting into ride vehicles if I'm wearing a front carrier. :scratchin

Just a heads up, the Ergo is not designed for forward facing out. The Beco Gemini and I think the Pikkolo are some of the only ergonimic ones that face out, but they do not recommend it once a baby hits a certain age and/or weight. You can do a hip carry in the Ergo that you could probably sit while wearing and just not lean back to avoid smushing their leg. Or just stick to forward facing in.

We're taking DD in October at 11 1/2 months. I'm bring my ring sling and our Ergo Sport. I plan on taking her out of whatever I'm using for rids. I know she's going to want to see what's going on. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter