Has anyone ever sold points at one resort to buy points at another?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by WolfpackFan, Apr 23, 2012.

  1. WolfpackFan

    WolfpackFan Retired and loving every minute of it!!

    Jul 24, 2000
    I have three contracts - VWL, AKV and HHI. Of these three HHI is our favorite resort and as we get older, I see us going to HHI a lot more often than we do WDW. In fact there will probably be a time when we stop going to WDW all together. I just can't take the walking like I used to plus it is a short drive for us to HHI. We really only have enough HHI points for a Studio every year. I'd like to have enough HHI points that we could go twice every year - staying once in a 2BR (when we would take people with us) and once in a Studio. I've been thinking seriously about selling our AKV contract and buying a larger HHI contract to add to our existing contract. Has anyone else ever done this kind of sell? Did you loose much money doing it?
  2. CMOORE185

    CMOORE185 HH 240 Points, SSR 260 Points

    Mar 12, 2009
    We feel the same as you about HHI except we own 240 points their. I think because you are selling a resort that is worth more than the one you are buying you should not lose much money if any at all. Now in my case I would love to sell my SSR points and buy Grand Floridian, but I fear the difference in price is too great to work out for me.
  3. Avatar

    DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvc-resales.com

  4. BWV Dreamin

    BWV Dreamin DIS Veteran

    Mar 10, 2007
    Yes, we just sold our BWV and bought VWL. We sold BWV for more and got a REALLY CHEAP deal for VWL. We found after 5 years that we really wanted to own where we loved staying and for the 11 mos. advantage, although other than Christmas, I don't think VWL is all that hard to reserve.
    If you are paying all of this money in MF's, I feel it should be for a resort that you have an emotional interest in. I know there will be counter arguements to this. But we feel much better spending those MF dollars on a resort we absolutely love. I say go with your heart! :love:
  5. Breyean

    Breyean DVC Since '93

    May 19, 2011
    Slightly different circumstances, but we added on at Aulani last year because we needed more points, and since moving to AZ from NY several years ago we found the trip to WDW more of an every other year sort of thing. We wanted more points since our son was grown and we had gone from one big happy family to one and a half happy families.

    Then the Aulani issues came up, after we had closed, and when DVC sent out the letter to those of us who bought before the problem was identified, they offered to buy back the contracts, plus interest, plus we got to keep the $500 in incentives, plus we didn't have to reimburse them for points we had used from the Aulani contract for a vacation we had already take.

    So we sat down and decided to dump Aulani and buy VGC, which we should have done years ago.

    We go to DLR at least twice a year and it was a great set of happenstances that led us to finally making the right decision. Now we own at both WDW and VCG and are happy we had the chance to sell Aulani at a gain!
  6. disneynutz

    disneynutz DIS Veteran DIS Lifetime Sponsor

    Dec 11, 2006
    It doesn't make sense to keep points at resorts you can't use or don't intend to stay at. Even at a loss, I would sell just to make life easier.

    :earsboy: Bill
  7. Thumper4me

    Thumper4me Planning my next trip

    Mar 1, 2007
    My ex-husband and I owned at WVL, BWV and HHI. We owed the most points at BWV. We were going to split the timeshare during our divorce. Things happened and ex got himself into some financial issues so we ended up selling half. I kept my half (BWV) and ended up adding on more after the divorce was final. Unfortunatley, it was not the BEST way to go about things but it all worked out in the end. ALL of my points are now at BWV and it is much easier administer and use from a planning perspective.

    Best of luck with your decision! :)
  8. KatieRach

    KatieRach Mouseketeer

    Oct 1, 2010
    Our circumstance is a bit different, but we currently have our contract with OKW. We find ourselves usually staying at AKL, so we are going to sell our OKW contract and buy at AKL. We should break even on what we paid for our OKW (we got a great deal on the secondary market) and are prepared to pay a bit more for AKL. But we figure that is the resort we enjoy the most and want to be able to book at the 11 month window. Go for what makes you the most happy!!!
  9. robinb

    robinb DIS Veteran

    Aug 29, 1999
    We sold 230 points at OKW at a big profit and bought 100 points at AKV. But that was when AKV was brand new and before the bottom fell out of the resale market.
  10. Sammie

    Sammie DIS Veteran

    Aug 20, 1999
    Wolfpack Fan, I would do what you think will work best for you. I understand completely. We love our HHI points and as you said, it is the only place we see ourselves as we get older.

    Breyean, I had not read or heard what DVC did for the Aulani owners but sounds like they stepped up and made it right, good for them and glad you were able to get out of it and get what you wanted.

    But wow, JL, really put DVC in a bind on this. :sad2:
  11. chainkid

    chainkid DIS Veteran

    Apr 3, 2001
    I sold HH to buy AKV. Broke even on sale and cost to buy in resale. I just found the airfare too high to get to HH . Most of my 5 contracts are at BWv though and only a small one at AKV..just enough to go every three years for a short trip there
  12. maciec

    maciec AHHHH....Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?

    May 10, 2001
    I would really like to dump our AKV 120pt contract to buy either more points at SSR or somewhere else, but we still can't make up our minds whether to take the hit or not.
  13. Breyean

    Breyean DVC Since '93

    May 19, 2011
    I don't recall the exact number anymore, but what they offered was about a $1 credit on the MF. Right now that's about 20-25% of the total, but since the credit is a FIXED amount and, as we all know, MF are not, at best over time the credit will slowly decrease as a %age of the total MF. At worst, if Aulani experiences the rapid and higher than average increases some resorts saw this past year, that $1 credit will become next to worthless.

    Had they offered a credit that increased at the same rate of the MF increases, that would have been, in my opinion, a more equitable settlement.
  14. Tamar

    Tamar DIS Veteran DVC Gold

    Mar 28, 2005
    We sold 150 HH points and bought 100 BWV points. It was pretty much a wash when we did it. Now we have 3 BWV and 1 OKW contract.
  15. Sandisw

    Sandisw Moderator Moderator

    Nov 15, 2008
    Yes, I have sold two small contracts to rebuy points where I wanted...both times took small losses but in the end, not enough to keep me from owning what I wanted to own.

    If you really want HH, then I agree, sell your other contract, and buy it. One way to keep it not feeling like a loss is to buy only enough HH points right now that can be paid for with what you clear from selling the other one.

    That's how it sort of worked out when I sold a small BLT last year to buy BWV. I was looking for only 100 BWV points but then realized that I could buy 150 BWV points for the same amount as it would cost me for 100 if I sold a 30 point BLT contract to offset the price difference.

    Good luck!
  16. ELMC

    ELMC DIS Veteran

    Jul 4, 2011
    There are going to be costs associated with doing this such as the 10% sales commission and the closing costs, etc. But since you would be selling a more expensive resort to a less expensive resort, it should all wash out.

    My question for you is, have you ever had a problem booking what you want at HHI at the 7 month window? If not, have you considered just using your AKV points to stay at HHI?
  17. Smile&Nod

    Smile&Nod Mouseketeer

    May 8, 2009
    I am about a week from closing on a new 250 point contract at BCV - i originally bought at BWVs because we love Epcot but i couldn't justify the extra $2k it would have been at the time of my original purchase. After several years of staying at BWVs (all good trips) I decided to bite the bullet and buy at BCV because that is our first - will probably lose money on the deal - both in the price of points and with commission, etc., but very happy I can always get BCV and not have to hope at the 7 month point. If it makes you happy - and you can afford the loss you might take - go for it!

Share This Page