Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway

I`ve never gone to the SOL. Only viewed it from the Staten Island Ferry and the boat tour round the Island...….that one boat tour was where my camera died as we neared the bridge...….typical!!!

Yes, there are always lovely people to counteract the others...….and even in NYC!!! Haven`t came across a grumpy one yet...….how lovely of Davy to encourage the lady......think I`d have been more scared going up.....lol...….

A-ha! Loading pics finally working again! Here are the pics that should've been in post above!libery exterior.jpg

liberty exterior 2.jpg
liberty exterior 3.jpg

We headed straight for the top. You have to have your tickets to get up there -- and the stairs are narrow and winding. It's a little scary (especially going down). One lady was scared going down but Davy really encouraged her. Also, the rangers here are so knowledgeable and nice. You can see one telling Davy about the inside.

liberty crown.jpg liberty crown 2.jpg

Looking down at Lady Liberty's tablet with the date on it. :)

liberty crown 3.jpg

liberty crown 4.jpg liberty crown 5.jpg liberty crown 6.jpg liberty crown 7.jpg

Continued...

liberty crown 8.jpg

So much fun! We had done everything else on the island, but decided to zip through the museum again. Davy especially liked the political cartoons about the funding of the pedestal. Really, a great place to spend a morning!

SOL museum.jpg
SOL museum 2.jpg SOL museum 3.jpg SOL skyline.jpg

I got a great show of the One World Trade Center (which we would be going up in later in the day) on the say back.

World one trade center.jpg

Next, we were going to meet up with a high school buddy in Chinatown. We had a few errands to run there and she was going to meet up with us then head to lunch. Our first stop was Yunhong's Chopsticks. Davy had bought some nice one there 4 years ago (he's really into Chinese culture -- started teaching himself Chinese when he was in grade school and can eat so well with chopsticks -- Mama cannot although he did a good job trying to teach me this trip!), so he wanted another pair. We got two other pairs of chopsticks from this lovely shop (we did have to wait a bit as they opened 30 minutes after it was "supposed" to open). But, it was a lovely day, so we were fine.

Then, we went to the Magic Jewelry Shop. This was a surprise for Davy. He's such a scientist, but he loves horoscopes and things like that. He even taught himself how to palm read. Well, I had read that at this shop, they have a machine that you put your hands on, then it takes a "picture" of your aura. I had read many reviews stating that it was eerily accurate. You get some pics as souvenirs. It costs $20, but a neat little thing to do and souvenir. When I read the reviews, I saw most people had a hue of red or blue around them. There were two ladies in front of us that that proved the case again. Then, it came to us. We were both BRIGHT yellow/green:

auras.jpg

The lady giving us our reading actually chuckled when she turned ours over. They other young ladies were like, "wow, look at those colors!" She first did my "reading." She said that I was extremely worried about something a few days prior (which was true -- elderly parent issues -- but aren't we all worried about something?). Then, she said, "oh my... you have A LOT of problems with your back!" Davy laughed out loud at that. I really do have tons of problems and recently, my back went out completely for three days I was in horrible pain. She said I really need to work on taking care of it. She said that I am always tired (another chuckle from Davy as I constantly am in need of a nap!) and that I am a happy person to be around. Then, to Davy... she looks at his and says, "WOW! You are extraordinarily smart. Above and beyond -- you have advanced quickly in school, right?" We were dumbfounded. Davy has skipped a grade already and they talked about him skipping another (I put my foot down -- I didn't want my baby going to high school at 12 and college at 16! Plus, he didn't want to -- he's very happy where he is now and although he gets all A's, he still feels challenged and loves his friends). Then, she said, "you have problems falling asleep and right now are very tired." This is such an understatement -- he has always had problems sleeping (or at least getting to sleep). I read somewhere that intelligent people have a problem doing so because their minds just won't shut off. We have been trying yoga lately before bed to relax and that has helped him. On this trip, however, he just hadn't been sleeping and was extremely tired. He didn't show any outward signs of it that I could see though. She also said, "you lose your temper VERY easily." That's also so true -- although he's really worked on that. He burst out laughing at that, saying she was right on. We had so much fun with this and it's a cute little shop. My friend showed up as we were having our auras read. She chuckled the whole time.

We went to the Red Egg for lunch. Highly recommend for good Chinese. Davy and Karen (my friend) spent lots of time discussing a play he wrote about ancient cultures. She used to be a teacher, so she is so good with kids. We were so engrossed in conversation that we forgot to take pics! I did learn that my friend's wife was up for a job in Virginia, so they may be making a move soon (just found out yesterday it did happen so they're off on their next adventure!).

Next up, we headed to the One World Trade Center. I had done this with a friend of mine a couple of years ago and knew Davy would love it. It was pretty busy when we got there, but I got priority flex tickets. (I am a big believer in NOT standing in line). We get there, however, and the guy taking tickets was distracted by a guy whose friend was already in with his tickets or some nonsense. He directed us to the regular line instead of the priority one. At least, I thought so. I told Davy to go ask the guy standing under another sign if that was where we were supposed to go (as that's what I remembered). I kept our place in the other line. Davy came back and said he didn't understand the guy at all. So, we switched and I asked. He was so confusing. "Stand here, lean over there, get your tickets scanned there." I was like, "stop, you're not making sense -- let's go over this step by step." Anyway, finally, yes, we were supposed to go in where he was, but had to lean over to the other line to get our tickets scanned (weird). We did that, skipped all the lines, and were in... got up to the elevators but the lady putting folks in the elevators had her back turned and didn't see that we had shown up in the priority line. I tapped her on the shoulder to let her know we were there. She told me to go past the elevators and turn the corner. Hmmmm.... I didn't remember any elevators around the corner, but Davy and I obeyed... and, ended up at the exit... so, we turn back, "Miss -- we haven't been up yet -- are you sure we go that way? Shouldn't we go in these elevators?" "NO! GO AROUND THE CORNER!" she yells at us. We do -- just bathrooms and the exit. I was so confused. Then, a lady working near the exit saw me and asked what was wrong. I told her. She said, "go back and tell her you haven't been up yet." I said, "I DID and she sent me here..." So, the nice lady walked us over to the other one. "Oh," she said, "you told me you were looking for the bathrooms." Davy spoke up, "no we didn't! We said we're trying to get up to the observatory!" Anyway, after all the confusion, we were finally going up! (Note -- when I went last time, we went in the morning and it was fantastic -- go at that time if you can -- I think the crowds were overwhelming the workers or something).

I will note that the elevator ride up and down has an amazing virtual reality tour of how NYC "grew up." There is a little video at the top and it has one heck of an ending! I don't want to spoil if you ever go (and you should!). Then, we were off to roam and take pictures. I will note that on facebook, most people wrote, "oh hell no!" to the pick of us standing over the roadway. ;) Also, you'll see over Davy's shoulder in one pic the tiny Statue of Liberty.

World One.jpg world one 2.jpg world one 3.jpg

Continued....
world one 6.jpg

From this view, Davy noticed the Citigroup Center (It's the tiny little white square topped in building in the upper right). He was so excited -- he had done a report on this building in his engineering class and really wanted to go see it up close once he noticed it. I'm like, "yeah! Let's go!" So, we were off!

world one 5.jpg

I looked up the address and called an uber.

city group.jpg

We got there and Davy told me a couple of stories (which I will probably not repeat correctly). AT one point, an engineering student realized the building was going to fall down during a hurricane and started alerting folks. Apparently, he was right, but luckily the hurricane did not hit. There's something about this beam I took a picture of -- maybe putting this in has made the building safer? Also, Davy talked about a church they tore down to put the building up. They put the church in the building, so I have a pic of that too.

city group 2.jpg city group 3.jpg

At this point we were HUNGRY. We went to John's of Times Square, which turned into our favorite place. We ate there twice and ate leftovers from there a couple more time.s

john's.jpg john's 2.jpg john's 3.jpg john's 4.jpg john's 5.jpg

YAY! A full trip report!

I have done the Statue of Liberty many times (being so close its a popular school trip) even as a kid I remember the stair cases being so narrow.

John's continued...

john's 6.jpg john's 7.jpg

Davy was kind of ready to just sit and play video games on his phone (just gave him my old one for this trip and he was SO THRILLED. He's so good about not using it much, so I was happy to let him play). I asked him if he'd mind sitting in a shopping center playing as I'd like to check out Bloomingdale's. I had a coupon for a "free gift with purchase" and 10% off. He said sure. WOW was that place expensive. I saw some handbags I loved, but didn't want to spend $4,000. The free gift came if you spent $500 (so, you really had to just buy one thing....). I ended up with nothing, but glad I finally went. They had these huge shoes as displays everywhere:

bloomingdales.jpg

We were spent by this point. Headed back to the room to rest and relax. Had John's pizza leftovers for dinner. We had another early morning treat for tomorrow!

Loving your report!!!

How brave going up Lady Liberty.........that looks so steep! You both did well there.......even just being fit enough to climb them all......lol........

One World Trade looks spectacular.........we didn’t go up last Sept, I do hate heights, but force myself to do them all.......but we will do it one day, maybe not this trip as we’re focussing up the other end........

And standing in the viewing bit where you can look straight down!!! Wow!!

Fascinating about the Citigroup Building. Never knew what it actually was, but to hear that story........very interesting.

And Johns is a must visit for us next month........looks so good!

May 30 -- At some point earlier in the tirp,
Loving your report!!!

How brave going up Lady Liberty.........that looks so steep! You both did well there.......even just being fit enough to climb them all......lol........

One World Trade looks spectacular.........we didn’t go up last Sept, I do hate heights, but force myself to do them all.......but we will do it one day, maybe not this trip as we’re focussing up the other end........

And standing in the viewing bit where you can look straight down!!! Wow!!

Fascinating about the Citigroup Building. Never knew what it actually was, but to hear that story........very interesting.

And Johns is a must visit for us next month........looks so good!

I will tell you -- the food was a bit better in the evening, but there's a wait then. Had no wait in the daytime, but food was not quite as good.

May 30 -- Davy had asked me earlier in the trip if we were going to Central Park. Oh yes -- and I had a special surprise for him. We were going to take a bike tour. He was SO excited. We hadn't biked with each other in years (I really need to get my bike repaired or buy a new one!). I had heard great things about this tour and it was so worth it! Our tour guide was fantastic. He told us so much, I just don't think I could repeat it all here. I was a little nervous when the guide asked, "now, everyone can ride a bike, right, because this is not where you want to learn to ride?" I knew I could -- been doing it since I was a small tot. I even had raced in our city's corporate challenge in the bike race. Not that I was all that good, but it had been years since I had been on one. I had even biked IN central park (not on a tour, however). Davy, too, got a little nervous because this was a little more on the road bike side of things and he has thicker wheels on his bike back home. We needn't have worried. It was like... riding a bike! :) This was my favorite thing we did after Harry Potter. It was a beautiful day and my son was just so happy about it all. He liked the riding more than the stops. I loved it all! Pics!

central park.jpg
(I got my thumb good and in there! But, I love this pic -- and you can see our not-unattractive-tour-guide -- BONUS!)
central park 2.jpg central park 3.jpg central park 4.jpg central park 5.jpg central park 6.jpg central park 7.jpg central park 8.jpg central park 9.jpg central park 10.jpg

YAY! A full trip report!

I have done the Statue of Liberty many times (being so close its a popular school trip) even as a kid I remember the stair cases being so narrow.
Glad I lost 25 pounds before this trip or I may have not fit! LOL

May 30 continued... After the bike tour, we rested up in the room a bit again, had some leftover John's, then got ready for our next treat. I was worried Davy would be bored with this, but he said he wanted to go.... so, on to our Broadway theater walking tour! This tour doesn't go into any theaters, but walks around showing the neighborhood with an actual Broadway actor telling stories. We started out and our guide was FABULOUS! Davy was so engrossed in his stories, he made me get my phone out to take notes. After the tour, I told the guide this and this relieved him because he thought I was bored and working on my phone. LOL. Not at all -- so good. I didn't take a lot of pics because I was the official note taker (Davy plans on looking deeper into the stories at some point hoping to use it as a paper for school). I would share some of the stories here, but I would not do them justice. I will mention, he told a non-Broadway story about the Naked Cowboy. If you've been to Times Square, you've most likely seen him. Runs around in his undies with a guitar. I'm not sure if I've ever seen him actually using the guitar... anyway, the big M&M screen at one point "dressed up" an M&M as the Naked Cowboy. I actually remember seeing this image. Anyway, he sued M&M and won a couple million dollars. But, he's still out working it on Times Square. Davy was kind of fascinated by this. He had seen the Naked Cowboy years before, but he didn't remember. We ran into him a couple nights in a row after this and I teased Davy trying to get him to take a pic with him. No luck. LOL. Anyway, the guide told some amazing Broadway stories. Some about Julia Roberts... Julie Andrews... Marlon Brando... I have a huge amount of notes if anyone is interested, but I'd rather you all took the amazing tour! A few pics I took (you'll see one of us with our tour guide):broadway 1.jpg Broadway 2.jpg broadway 3.jpg broadway 4.jpg broadway 6.jpg

Davy was fascinated to learn the cast of Hamilton is diverse -- only white guy is King George. He thought it was going to be some boring musical with guys in powdered wigs. We have tickets to the show when in tours in KC. He was NOT excited until the tour guide talked about it. I later played some of the soundtrack for him. He's excited now! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this tour. So much fun. If an 11 year old boy loved it, I know you will!

We then had dinner at the Brooklyn Diner USA (in Times Square). I can't remember what I had now (Davy had his usual spaghetti), but whatever it was, I LOVED it.
brooklyn diner.jpg

I then dragged Davy to Midtown Comics. I'm SUCH A NERD. Had to go to do my usual Wednesday ritual of getting new comics. I'm a huge Star Wars nerd -- so got the new Lando comic (when I came back, found out my "home" comic store had held one aside from me figuring I'd want it. I felt bad that I had already bought it, but the owner, who is always awesome, was excited I got to go to Midtown Comics and I spend so much money at my home one (Elite Comics), I think he forgave me. LOL. I also bought this (sadly, it wasn't very good but kind of interesting):

midtown comis.jpg

After that, we were in for the night. I had nothing planned for the morning, but had a few ideas what we could do. And knew Harry Potter was coming up the next night! :)

68F8E5EC-800E-4664-9223-DD1689D5CF53.jpeg 3783B08A-DFEC-4B21-BEEE-C7A7F1BD5FEE.jpeg May 31 -- We slept in this day (Davy was excited to do so, but then, of course, woke up fairly early). I had mentioned some ideas of things to do. He wanted to try the National Museum of Mathematics. I had heard it was a fun, interactive museum. Davy loved it. I was bored out of my tree most of the time.

I had heard an elderly couple come in at the beginning and ask an attendant what was best to do. He said to hurry and do that floor and then get downstairs before the school groups come and crowd the place. Boy, was he right about that! So, we did the activities on the main floor, then ran downstairs. While downstairs, Davy was working on a puzzle. The old man came and just took Davy's pieces! Davy sat stunned and I said, "um, he was working on that..." The guy said, "oh, was he -- he didn't seem to be working on anything." !!! My son was like, "he didn't realize -- it's ok." It was a very odd thing. Anyway, this was my least favorite thing (and I couldn't get cell service to even play on the phone while Davy was playing). BUT, Davy highly enjoyed it, so that's all that really matters.

Last edited:
I loved Hamilton! Saw it on Broadway a couple pf years ago. Probably one of the best shows I have ever seen.

I had no idea there was a walking tour of all the theaters. Sounds really interesting. I'd love it if you post some of the stories, but understand if you don't. Its a great idea that I will probably steal. Thanks!

Bethesda Fountain is my favourite place in Central Park!! Love it......your bike tour looks so much fun, and you certainly piled on the exercise on this trip! Climbing up SoL and now a bike tour.......along with all the walking you do there anyway!

Your pictures are lovely, and your little guy is a dream!!! Although Museum of Mathematics is my ultimate nightmare. I cannot do math to save my life and physically switch off if Tom ever decides to try and show me what we’re doing with money.......lol.......

The Broadway tour sounds so fabulous! Although I did smile at the Scientology building behind you.......lol.......they watched us take pictures one day. Although not as creepy as the one at Clearwater where the camera followed us as we walked past one way then the other........

You and Tom share so much in common!!! All the Star Wars/Trek stuff and although he doesn’t collect comics or anything like that, he would love to see all that!!

You certainly are having a fantastic trip so far!

I loved Hamilton! Saw it on Broadway a couple pf years ago. Probably one of the best shows I have ever seen.

I had no idea there was a walking tour of all the theaters. Sounds really interesting. I'd love it if you post some of the stories, but understand if you don't. Its a great idea that I will probably steal. Thanks!

Here are my notes from the tour, but they really don't do the stories justice:

tour 1.png tour 2.png

tour 3.png tour 4.png

tour 5.png tour 6.png

tour 7.png

Attachments

• 2F4E8BB8-9067-49A7-A027-E9EE15E417FD.png
    2F4E8BB8-9067-49A7-A027-E9EE15E417FD.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 4937E565-2196-46DE-A7CD-382D664195DB.png
    4937E565-2196-46DE-A7CD-382D664195DB.png
    339.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 189F0A51-4620-4561-AE18-AABB0B8A1794.png
    189F0A51-4620-4561-AE18-AABB0B8A1794.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 2
Bethesda Fountain is my favourite place in Central Park!! Love it......your bike tour looks so much fun, and you certainly piled on the exercise on this trip! Climbing up SoL and now a bike tour.......along with all the walking you do there anyway!

Your pictures are lovely, and your little guy is a dream!!! Although Museum of Mathematics is my ultimate nightmare. I cannot do math to save my life and physically switch off if Tom ever decides to try and show me what we’re doing with money.......lol.......

The Broadway tour sounds so fabulous! Although I did smile at the Scientology building behind you.......lol.......they watched us take pictures one day. Although not as creepy as the one at Clearwater where the camera followed us as we walked past one way then the other........

You and Tom share so much in common!!! All the Star Wars/Trek stuff and although he doesn’t collect comics or anything like that, he would love to see all that!!

You certainly are having a fantastic trip so far!

We walked an average of 7 miles a day... but, with the M&M store right down the street... I gained two pounds that week. OOPS. Have gotten it off since.

I didn't notice the Scientology building until I was downloading that pic for this post. LOL. I have heard some SCARY stories about how they follow folks around!

I'll have to share with Tom all my pics from the Star Wars Celebration when I go to it in Chicago in April! :) And see my boyfriend Mark Hamill again. ;)

Thanks for posting- that sounds so interesting (Ethel Barrymore stuff is fascinating)
We walked an average of 7 miles a day... but, with the M&M store right down the street... I gained two pounds that week. OOPS. Have gotten it off since.

I didn't notice the Scientology building until I was downloading that pic for this post. LOL. I have heard some SCARY stories about how they follow folks around!

I'll have to share with Tom all my pics from the Star Wars Celebration when I go to it in Chicago in April! :) And see my boyfriend Mark Hamill again. ;)

I thought Paul Rudd was your boyfriend?!?!?! :thumbsup2

May 31 continued - Before we left for the math museum, I checked the weather. It said 15% chance all day. So, I didn't bring our small umbrellas. Well, it 100% rained all over the place. This is us ducking for cover here and there but you can tell we got soaked (you can really tell with me):

NYC rain.jpg NYC rain 2.jpg

We then relaxed, shower, and cleaned up for Harry Potter. I don't wear a lot of makeup as you can tell, but realized when getting ready to go for a dressed up evening... I had left half my makeup at home. Oh well, who cares what I look like anyway? LOL.

We had reservations for Carmine's Italian Restaurant which was very close to the theater. It's a family-style restaurant, so with just the two of us, we were going to have to share a meal. The space itself was lovely.
carmine's.jpg carmine's 2.jpg carmine's 3.jpg

Now, at this point, I had eaten 6 billion M&Ms, and even though we had been walking/biking/running in the rain I knew I was not doing well with my eating. Not too worried about it though (glad to say I only gained a couple pounds on the trip and have already taken it off and then some). BUT, I wanted dressing on the side with my salad and the waitress ARGUED WITH ME. I mean, really?!? The salad and bread were excellent. Because Davy only eats spaghetti really, we had that. It was meh. He thought so too. I'm torn about recommending this place. The location is excellent if you're going to the theater. The salad and bread were excellent. Maybe a different main dish would be good?

Anyway, then we were so excited to be off for our first night of Potter on Broadway. As I posted at the beginning, it was absolutely amazing. So worth it. Again, DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO GO TO THIS SHOW! You will NOT regret it! Next morning... another adventure...

Thanks for posting- that sounds so interesting (Ethel Barrymore stuff is fascinating)

I thought Paul Rudd was your boyfriend?!?!?! :thumbsup2

I have many! :) @schumigirl actually thought a pic of Mark Hamill and me was a pic of my boyfriend and me. :) I must continuously give her grief about that (besides, her Tom is also one of my boyfriends!). ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!