Happily Ever After Begins Here -- An Oct. 2012 TR Updated! 11/17!

Thanks for the complements, everyone!
Hmm. I may need to watch Wishes from there! Something different. Great photos as well. I thought my Wishes photos were good until I see Franklin's. They are something else. He is definitely on a Tom Bricker level!

Can I tell you a little secret?
The lens I used for Wishes in this chapter, the Tokina 11-16mm, I bought it used, directly from...
Tom Bricker

Beautiful photos as always. Great update. I have never to Disney when it's been open later than a party night. Would love to test my stamina til 3AM.

Franklin, I took your advice and bought the Canon telephoto lens. I do have a question, though. In autofocus, how do you keep it from constantly moving in and out even after it looks like I will have a clear shot. Then it moves and the shot goes blurry and I haven't moved nor has the subject. And when shooting a movie, if it is in autofocus, the lens keeps focusing and you can hear the sound when you play back the movie. I ended up just going to manual and trying to focus as best as I could.

Great photos of Wishes! We unintentionally ended up watching Wishes from Fantasyland on our honeymoon, and you're right, it's a totally different way to experience them.

I love the photo of you covering your Buzz Lightyear score. :lmao: Mine is always completely pathetic on that ride! I think if Paxton and I were in a ride vehicle alone, each using a gun, he would still outscore me at 2 years old and not even really understanding the objective of the game!

Man, MK until 3 am?! Endless possibilities!!

Beautiful photos as always. Great update. I have never to Disney when it's been open later than a party night. Would love to test my stamina til 3AM.

Franklin, I took your advice and bought the Canon telephoto lens. I do have a question, though. In autofocus, how do you keep it from constantly moving in and out even after it looks like I will have a clear shot. Then it moves and the shot goes blurry and I haven't moved nor has the subject. And when shooting a movie, if it is in autofocus, the lens keeps focusing and you can hear the sound when you play back the movie. I ended up just going to manual and trying to focus as best as I could.

Now that you are shooting in "P" (program) mode, you can change how the auto focus works. If you are still in the green "Auto" mode, it won't let you change it. For others following along, this is for the Canon T4i. Page 95 in the owners manual.

First, you need to change how the auto focus operates. To do that, press the "AF" button the the back of the camera. It's just to the right of the "Set" button. Select "One Shot", then press "Set". When in the "One Shot" focus mode, once the camera achieves focus, it will stay locked as long as you hold the shutter button halfway. Now you can focus, re-frame the shot, then take it.

Another thing I like to do, is to manually set the camera's focus point. That is done so I know, for sure, where the camera is going to focus. Your T4i has 9 focusing points. But, did you know that the center focus point is the most sensitive? So, it is best to choose the center focus point, and leave it at that. To do this, press the button that is in the upper right most corner, when you are looking at the back of the camera. It has an icon of a magnify glass with a "+" sign. Select the center focus point by tapping on the screen (coolness points for having a touchscreen!)

Now, with those settings above, you have total control over your auto focus. It's no longer a guessing game of what the camera chooses to focus on. Shooting this way it going to be a little bit different, but you will get great results. Put the center focus point over what you want to focus on. Make sure that the object has some contrast. If the focus point is on a smooth object, with no lines, like a blank wall, it won't focus. Once the focus locks, you can move the camera around and recompose the shot.

An example. I put my center focus point on the "D" in "Disney", then moved the camera to where I wanted it, while still holding down the shutter release halfway, then took the shot. If not, the center of this photo would have been in focus, the Boardwalk building in the background.
DSC_6286-L.jpg

The best solution for movies is exactly what you did. Manual focus is the only way to go for movies. All of these types of cameras are going to pick up that auto focus noise, even pro cameras. You could try to auto focus like you are about to take a photo, flip to manual focus, and then switch to movie mode. But if things move around, you have to manually focus to keep things clear. The pros use separate audio equipment, so you don't hear noises coming from the camera. But they also do manual focus anyway.

Wow... I just read Franklin's photography advice (thanks, always nice to learn new things/refresh what I know!) and now I forget what I was going to say! :rotfl:

The fireworks! Yes, how amazing is that for the fireworks! A few years ago we watched them from the bridge towards Adventureland, and they seemed to be coming from everywhere. Last year, we watched them from outside Pirates of the Caribbean, and that was nice too, completely different. I was planning to catch them another night, but never did.

And wow, Franklin on all those shots again! Amazing to get such clear shots from BTMRR and the Peoplemover at night!

I love 3am EMH, but man....I can never make it through the entire night! :rotfl2:

Fireworks from Fantasyland are always an interesting experience. It's so different from watching in the front. You're right, it's like a 360 degree experience.

Hahahahaha, totally blocking your score so Franklin couldn't catch it on camera. Very clever.

Great photos of Wishes! We unintentionally ended up watching Wishes from Fantasyland on our honeymoon, and you're right, it's a totally different way to experience them.

I love the photo of you covering your Buzz Lightyear score. :lmao: Mine is always completely pathetic on that ride! I think if Paxton and I were in a ride vehicle alone, each using a gun, he would still outscore me at 2 years old and not even really understanding the objective of the game!

Man, MK until 3 am?! Endless possibilities!!

The frustrating thing about my Buzz score is that's the one game I usually beat Franklin. My mojo was totally off that night. :crazy2:

Wishes was at 9 that night, so we had six hours AFTER the fireworks to run around MK. It was like a full day, only at night! So. Much. Fun.

Wow... I just read Franklin's photography advice (thanks, always nice to learn new things/refresh what I know!) and now I forget what I was going to say! :rotfl:

The fireworks! Yes, how amazing is that for the fireworks! A few years ago we watched them from the bridge towards Adventureland, and they seemed to be coming from everywhere. Last year, we watched them from outside Pirates of the Caribbean, and that was nice too, completely different. I was planning to catch them another night, but never did.

And wow, Franklin on all those shots again! Amazing to get such clear shots from BTMRR and the Peoplemover at night!

Thanks for those two new fireworks spots! :thumbsup2 I'm making a note of 'em.

I love 3am EMH, but man....I can never make it through the entire night! :rotfl2:

Fireworks from Fantasyland are always an interesting experience. It's so different from watching in the front. You're right, it's like a 360 degree experience.

Hahahahaha, totally blocking your score so Franklin couldn't catch it on camera. Very clever.

We prepped for the long night with a serious nap in the afternoon AND made sure we didn't have anywhere to be in the a.m. the next day. Otherwise, we'd have been toast around midnight.

We last left off with some Tomorrowland fun to kick off the super-late EMH at MK. We came out of Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin and we glanced over to Space Mountain. Turns out, the coaster had reopened while we were fighting off Emperor Zurg. Time to ride!

DSC_2369-L.jpg

DSC_2371-L.jpg

DSC_2377-L.jpg

We decided to make our way toward Storybook Circus. But we first went for a quick “spin” in classic Fantasyland.

DSC_2386-L.jpg

DSC_2387-L.jpg

We had a couple of things to do in Storybook Circus: 1) Franklin wanted to ride Dumbo at night and he also wanted to shoot and explore the new area at night.

Up first, a flight with Franklin’s favorite Disney character. No FPs during EMH.

DSC_2388-L.jpg

We headed into the tent. I know I’ve said it before, but wow! They did such a spectacular job theming that whole area.

DSC_2391-L.jpg

There was no line, so they were waiving everyone through to the loading area.

DSC_2392-L.jpg

But that, of course, didn’t stop Franklin from snapping a few photos of the practically empty playground.

DSC_2397-L.jpg

DSC_2398-L.jpg

DSC_2399-L.jpg

DSC_2400-L.jpg

It was time to take flight. And enjoy the splendor that is these fountains at night.

DSC_2401-L.jpg

DSC_2414-L.jpg

DSC_2419-L.jpg

And one of my favorite pictures from this trip.

DSC_2426-L.jpg

We made a pit stop at Big Top Treats for a little sugar and caffiene to fuel us for the long night ahead.

DSC_2429-L.jpg

It was time for Franklin to take a photo tour of the new land. In the distance, Beast’s castle was glowing. Just how long would we have to wait to see THAT part of New Fantasyland? The wait was killing me!

DSC_2433-L.jpg

The colors in the splash area looked amazing at night, everything was so saturated.

DSC_2436-L.jpg

Pete’s Silly Sideshow meet and greets were closed during EMH.

DSC_2437-L.jpg

I know you’re supposed to focus on getting in as many rides as possible during EMH. We spent a solid 20 minutes exploring all the details in and around the train station. The trunks, the names, it was all so cool!

DSC_2438-L.jpg

Once we’d had our fill of the circus, we made our way back to the park.

DSC_2442-L.jpg

It was well after midnight, but they were hard at work on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, very impressive.

DSC_2447-L.jpg

We’ll stop there for now, but we’ve got lots more rides coming up.
What’s your favorite way to spend evening EMH at MK? Any must-dos for a night in the park?

Nice update. I like how during late night EMH you actually get a chance to take in everything without too much pressure to get to the next ride like there is with the morning EMH. Franklin, stunning picture of the motion blur of Dumbo! How long was that exposure?

Nice update. I like how during late night EMH you actually get a chance to take in everything without too much pressure to get to the next ride like there is with the morning EMH. Franklin, stunning picture of the motion blur of Dumbo! How long was that exposure?

That's so true about evening EMH compared with morning EMH. I love having a chance to take in all the details that make Disney, well, Disney!

This ride is actually brightly lit. I exposed for the brighter areas, like the water and fountains, so I could keep as much detail and color there. I brought up the shadows using Lightroom, for the darker areas. The exposure was at ISO 100 and f/11. For the blur, it was just a 1 second shutter speed. I didn't want to expose for too much longer, or it would start to lose detail in the bright areas.

Love these pictures! Y'all are so adorable. :goodvibes

I haven't had the chance to see New Fantasyland yet, but we REALLY loved the Storybook Circus area of the park on our trip last year! The Imagineers did an amazing job on that little section, and it's really captured in your photos. The colors are gorgeous, night and day, and the new Dumbo area is genius.

Can't wait to see how you spent the rest of your EMH time!

Beautiful photos, that whole area is just so stunning, so well done! I loved Storybook Circus, I can not WAIT to see all of New Fantasyland!!
My favourite way to spend EMH at MK... I have to admit I usually do the ride as many rides as you can thing.

Now that you are shooting in "P" (program) mode, you can change how the auto focus works. If you are still in the green "Auto" mode, it won't let you change it. For others following along, this is for the Canon T4i. Page 95 in the owners manual.

First, you need to change how the auto focus operates. To do that, press the "AF" button the the back of the camera. It's just to the right of the "Set" button. Select "One Shot", then press "Set". When in the "One Shot" focus mode, once the camera achieves focus, it will stay locked as long as you hold the shutter button halfway. Now you can focus, re-frame the shot, then take it.

Another thing I like to do, is to manually set the camera's focus point. That is done so I know, for sure, where the camera is going to focus. Your T4i has 9 focusing points. But, did you know that the center focus point is the most sensitive? So, it is best to choose the center focus point, and leave it at that. To do this, press the button that is in the upper right most corner, when you are looking at the back of the camera. It has an icon of a magnify glass with a "+" sign. Select the center focus point by tapping on the screen (coolness points for having a touchscreen!)

Now, with those settings above, you have total control over your auto focus. It's no longer a guessing game of what the camera chooses to focus on. Shooting this way it going to be a little bit different, but you will get great results. Put the center focus point over what you want to focus on. Make sure that the object has some contrast. If the focus point is on a smooth object, with no lines, like a blank wall, it won't focus. Once the focus locks, you can move the camera around and recompose the shot.

An example. I put my center focus point on the "D" in "Disney", then moved the camera to where I wanted it, while still holding down the shutter release halfway, then took the shot. If not, the center of this photo would have been in focus, the Boardwalk building in the background.
DSC_6286-L.jpg

The best solution for movies is exactly what you did. Manual focus is the only way to go for movies. All of these types of cameras are going to pick up that auto focus noise, even pro cameras. You could try to auto focus like you are about to take a photo, flip to manual focus, and then switch to movie mode. But if things move around, you have to manually focus to keep things clear. The pros use separate audio equipment, so you don't hear noises coming from the camera. But they also do manual focus anyway.

Thanks so much for the tips!

Love these pictures! Y'all are so adorable. :goodvibes

I haven't had the chance to see New Fantasyland yet, but we REALLY loved the Storybook Circus area of the park on our trip last year! The Imagineers did an amazing job on that little section, and it's really captured in your photos. The colors are gorgeous, night and day, and the new Dumbo area is genius.

Can't wait to see how you spent the rest of your EMH time!

Thanks! The funny story about those Tea Cups photos was that Franklin took exactly two photos of me and the both turned out perfectly. I think I took eight or nine of Franklin and that was the only one in focus. :rotfl:

Beautiful photos, that whole area is just so stunning, so well done! I loved Storybook Circus, I can not WAIT to see all of New Fantasyland!!
My favourite way to spend EMH at MK... I have to admit I usually do the ride as many rides as you can thing.

That sounds like an excellent way to spend EMH, we definitely add to our ride total in the next chapter. :thumbsup2

We last left off with us finishing our exploration of Storybook Circus and were headed back toward Fantasyland.

DSC_2451-L.jpg

Here’s the thing, everything I’d ever heard about evening EMH at MK was that it would stay really crowded through the first hour or so and then the crowds would start to head home. Our experience was far different. Things seemed crowded for about a half-hour after Wishes and then the park turned into a ghost town. It was incredible to go from ride to ride and walk onto all of them!

One of the most surprising walk-on rides was Peter Pan.

DSC_2454-L.jpg

DSC_2472-L.jpg

Next, we moved past Fantasyland and onto one of my favorite attractions: Haunted Mansion!

DSC_2482-L.jpg

DSC_2483-L.jpg

Here’s one Franklin had been trying to get for a while, the shadow of the ghost playing the piano.

DSC_2490-L.jpg

DSC_2492-L.jpg

DSC_2496-L.jpg

DSC_2498-L.jpg

DSC_2503-L.jpg

DSC_2506-L.jpg

DSC_2513-L.jpg

DSC_2515-L.jpg

DSC_2518-L.jpg

DSC_2521-L.jpg

DSC_2522-L.jpg

DSC_2526-L.jpg

DSC_2532-L.jpg

DSC_2536-L.jpg

DSC_2539-L.jpg

DSC_2540-L.jpg

Hey! Give me back my head!

DSC_2541-L.jpg

DSC_2542-L.jpg

It is kind of creepy to come out of Haunted Mansion late at night and have the park look completely deserted.

DSC_2545-L.jpg

We went from one Disney classic to another. Let’s go for a sail on the high seas, shall we?

DSC_2547-L.jpg

DSC_2549-L.jpg

DSC_2554-L.jpg

Look at all that room in the sand pre-mermaid skeleton!

DSC_2561-L.jpg

DSC_2563-L.jpg

DSC_2564-L.jpg

DSC_2565-L.jpg

DSC_2569-L.jpg

DSC_2574-L.jpg

DSC_2576-L.jpg

DSC_2577-L.jpg

DSC_2582-L.jpg

DSC_2584-L.jpg

This shirt cracks me up. Willow Smith would be proud.

DSC_2587-L.jpg

Next we did something I hadn’t done since I was little, we rode Jungle Cruise at night!

DSC_2592-L.jpg

DSC_2597-L.jpg

DSC_2598-L.jpg

DSC_2608-L.jpg

DSC_2625-L.jpg

We walked by the giant camel...
DSC_2628-L.jpg

… and took a flight on a magic carpet. We were the only people on the carpets.

DSC_2630-L.jpg

With EMH nearing an end, Franklin needed one last snack.

DSC_2635-L.jpg

We made our way to the hub to take a last glimpse at the late-night castle.

DSC_2639-L.jpg

(Franklin was tasked with taking a daytime and nighttime photo of the castle that looked exactly the same. I was going to make a custom iPad case with the daytime photo on the front and this nighttime photo on the back. It turned out perfectly!)

This was the most people we’d seen in hours.

DSC_2641-L.jpg

So did we make it all the way till 3? At the tone, the time would be...

DSC_2651-L.jpg

… 3:02 a.m.!!!! We did it!

We worked our way up Main Street.

DSC_2655-L.jpg

DSC_2662-L.jpg

And out of the park.

DSC_2663-L.jpg

Where we hopped on a bus back to the resort.

DSC_2664-L.jpg

We were pooped! But we felt very accomplished. It was truly a lovely night at MK with hardly any crowds and a good mix of rides and just enjoying the details in the park. We’ll stop here for now, because we needed sleep. Lots of it! Because the next day was a big one, it’s time for Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party!

Looks like you had tons of fun at EMH! I have never seen such clear pictures of HM/Pirates and JC at night! Seriously!

I once went on Pirates about 10 minutes before park closing (during EMH) ALONE. Now, normally I do not mind being alone at the parks or at Disney hotels (except occasionally when walking to/from the bus stop if it's really lush and full of trees) but this ride was CREEPY! I saw a cast member outside when I entered the queue. Then I saw the cast members that told me which boat to get on. I saw not a single guest until I was off the ride. No one was in any boat I could see ahead of me. No one was on my boat with me. No one was in any boats that were behind me. It was totally scary, but I still loved it! And I didn't use my flash! Hahahaha

I don't think I've ever lasted until 3am though, 2 maybe. Good job!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter