Hanging up my running shoes-Update on ZellyB

Great job guys! Congrats to the newest HFs!! Now for the important question.....what color fanatic shirts are ya'll gonna get?!? There are some really cool colors!

Woohoo! You did it!

I saw you put "(complete)" in your title and thought that meant that this thread was over...and I was like, "BUT WHAT ABOUT GOOFY?!" Now I get it. :)

Congratulations! Always a nice feeling when you can check a goal off the list! I'm happy to hear things worked out for you.
Thank you! It feels great to have that goal done.

Great job guys! Congrats to the newest HFs!! Now for the important question.....what color fanatic shirts are ya'll gonna get?!? There are some really cool colors!
Thank you! I was looking at some of them yesterday. There are a lot of choices. I have to figure out which one to go with.

Congrats!

Thank you!

Woohoo! You did it!

I saw you put "(complete)" in your title and thought that meant that this thread was over...and I was like, "BUT WHAT ABOUT GOOFY?!" Now I get it. :)

Thanks!! Ooops. I didn't think about it appearing the whole thing was done. Hope people don't stop reading. :)

TRAINING WEEK 4/3 - 4/96

I think I missed posting one of my training weeks, but that's okay, right? :)

SUNDAY 4/3 - Planned rest day.
MONDAY 4/4 - Circuit training. Still doing two circuits of each machine, but again pushed up the weight a bit. I'm starting to feel a bit stronger and noticing some subtle difference in my arms which is awesome. Still going slow and steady though. We added in the gavitron machine this time (which uses your body weight) and did some triceps work on that. Ugg! Man, am I weak.
When I got to work, I was notified that our biennial inspection was going to be happening. I'm the director of laboratories for a health care system and we get inspected every two years. We had 8 inspectors here for two days. They were insanely picky and it was kinda exhausting, but at least it's done now for another two years.
TUESDAY 4/4 - Planned 4 mile run that I skipped. I had to be back into work early to deal with the inspectors and had stayed late on Monday, so just didn't have it in me to squeeze in the run.
WEDNESDAY 4/5 - Circuit training. Pretty much just a duplicate of Monday. Boring. :) I officially started on our low-carb diet today. I'll post a separate post later about how it is going. Spoiler alert *Really well*
THURSDAY 4/6 - 4 miles today at :90/:30. It was a good run today. I felt really good. We ended up at a 10:35 pace overall, so that felt good. Maybe that rest day on Tuesday worked out for me after all. ;)
FRIDAY 4/7 - Planned rest day. After dealing with our sick dog, we drove up to KC.
SATURDAY 4/8 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (mini-trip report above). I was so happy we accomplished our goal. Woohoo!! Half Fanatics!! I don't think I mentioned in the trip report either that my knee felt good the whole run. I still have some stiffness in it when I've been sitting for awhile, but other than that it seems to be back to normal.

I haven't shared an RDP in awhile, and it's rainy and stormy here today, so how about a shot from sunny Florida to brighten my day. :sunny: Beautiful morning to run through Magic Kingdom and get a picture in front of the castle. Heaven!!! :cloud9:

770263_1001_0041_zpscaa636b7.jpg

Last edited:
Ack, good job on getting through that inspection! That does not sound fun.

Your manicure in the RDP is perfect!! :)

Congratulations on your half fanatic status! Great trip report. I love that people can learn the joys of intervals from you two during races!

Ack, good job on getting through that inspection! That does not sound fun.

Your manicure in the RDP is perfect!! :)

Thanks! I loved my Goofy manicure.

Congratulations on your half fanatic status! Great trip report. I love that people can learn the joys of intervals from you two during races!

Thank you. They were a fun couple to run near.

Gisele, you're famous! :yay:

Ha! Go me!!!

Go ZellyB, the next InB ambassador....maybe!

Not so sure about that one, but fun to be in the montage. :)

Ketogenic Eating

I mentioned earlier that Chris and I are trying a new way of eating that involves getting the body into a ketosis state where it primarily relies on using fat for energy rather than glucose. Chris started researching this after hearing about it from our friend who is an ultra runner. He says he can routinely run 20 miles without needing any fuel. WHAT??? Not sure I’ll ever hit that kind of metabolic efficiency, but it did intrigue us to give it a try.

I’m on day 7 and things are going well. We had somewhat adapted to reduced carb consumption through our Whole 30 stint, so this wasn't quite as big a shock to the body. The recommendation is to stay under 50 grams of carbohydrates a day. Let me tell you, once you start adding up carbs you realize how few that is. Chris bought this book to help us with food/recipe ideas.

image_zpsp2zl6wma.jpeg

The author of this book really recommends trying to stay under 30 grams per day, but athletes (I’m sorta an athlete, right? ;) ) can go up to 50 with elite athletes (yeah, definitely NOT me) can go as high as 100 grams. Still Chris and I are shooting for under 30 but if we go up to 50 we aren’t worrying too much. The diet basically indicates around 5-10% of your calories come from carbs, 25-30% from proteins and 60-70% from fats. ACK!!! That’s a lot of fat. It’s really hard to wrap your head around that much fat when for years we’ve been told fat is bad. I can tell you I’m a little worried about health risks from this diet, although much of what I’ve read isn’t clear on risks. There are some keto diets that called for VERY restricted calorie counts (800 per day) with high fats and that's clearly not good. We are doing reduced calorie counts but within a normally accepted reduced calorie requirement for weight loss. It’s vital though that you are choosing the right kinds of fat to eat and steering clear of the wrong types of fat.

So, what do you actually eat, Gisele? Here are some things I’ve had over the last few days…

Breakfast –

Fried egg over a slice of ham with chimichurri sauce

image_zpsry8gfesf.jpeg

Yummy!!!

Lunch – Salad bar with lots of good stuff on it and broiled chicken drummies (this was way too much food – I only ate about 3 chicken drummies and 2/3 of the salad)

Dinner – Hamburger with chimichurri sauce and a wedge salad with blue cheese dressing and bacon bits

image_zpsgnbeocoh.jpeg

I could have had a second burger if I wanted, but I was honestly full. That’s the thing I’m noticing with this. We are counting calories and also carbs, but I find that I’m not eating as much food and yet not getting that hungry. I guess because the fat is more filling and takes more time to digest?? I’m also finding that I’m not getting as tired at night. Usually I’m falling asleep on the couch by 9 PM while watching TV and yet the last few nights I find I have plenty of energy.

I’m on day 7 with this and I’ve lost a little over 5 pounds. Now much of that is water weight because with the reduction in carbs, you do tend to lose water, so we will see over time if the weight loss continues at that pace. I honestly expect it to slow down, but if it's effective at getting steady weight loss, then that will be better than most things I've tried of late. That’s it on the diet front updates. I’ll do some periodic checks on this to note progress.

That food really looks good ZellyB!
Question for you (sorry if you've said this in an earlier post)-what do ya'll use when running instead of powerade for electrolyte replacement?
TIA

Wow that way of eating looks really interesting! Your food you ate looks delicious too! I can't wait to hear how you continue to feel on this diet. Thanks for sharing!

That food really looks good ZellyB!
Question for you (sorry if you've said this in an earlier post)-what do ya'll use when running instead of powerade for electrolyte replacement?
TIA

It really has been good. We did try this chocolate shake thing the other day which was a bit of a flop. But, good to try different things. We have started running with Replay http://www.hydrationhealth.com/replay/. Our local running store recently started carrying it, but you can buy online easily too.

Wow that way of eating looks really interesting! Your food you ate looks delicious too! I can't wait to hear how you continue to feel on this diet. Thanks for sharing!

We'll shall see how it goes long term, but I'm curious as well to see how our experiment continues.

A few days late, but check out the books & information from Tim Noakes regarding a low carb, high fat diet. Lots of endurance athletes swear by his research.

http://realmealrevolution.com/the-facts

Thanks for the link. I saw his name mentioned in a couple of other articles I read. I'll check that out.

Do you have to modify your diet on days when you run? I have a co-worker on the same plan (or similar) and she has really shed lbs in the last 40 days or so but she is not working out. I'm not sure if I have the will power yet but I find it interesting. Your meals you posted do look pretty tasty.

Do you have to modify your diet on days when you run? I have a co-worker on the same plan (or similar) and she has really shed lbs in the last 40 days or so but she is not working out. I'm not sure if I have the will power yet but I find it interesting. Your meals you posted do look pretty tasty.

We are not modifying it for just regular training runs. Trying to figure out what will work well for fuel during long runs. We've seen recommendations for Quest Bars. They have low net carbs (BTW, we are not really clear on the whole net carb things and if you count full carbs or net carbs toward your daily total - although appears most do net carbs). Anyway, we will likely try them on some longer runs to see how we do. We already switched to the Replay hydration drink which is low in carbs as well and it seems okay. We did discover that hydration is a bigger issue than before. We absolutely need to drink more when running based on our limited experience so far, but that's in line with what we are reading.

Our ultra running friend did say some people do carb cycling where every so many weeks they up their carbs some before events, but I really think he was talking more about ultra athletes.

Got behind, so it's about to be quote spam here:

We had a spectacular trip down to NE Arkansas to run the Bentonville half marathon this weekend.

I keep meaning to mention that you guys are in AR - my family is from Fort Smith, and even though I've spent the past 4 or so years far away, I love hearing about home :)

we had a finish time of 2:27:18. My original goal was a sub 2:30, so I was super happy about that given all the stupid knee issues I've been fighting and just generally feeling undertrained.

Awesome!! Sounds like a good race despite some issues :)

I really should think about getting a medal rack. I'd at least like to display my Disney medals.

I keep thinking about this too - I only have one medal so far, but it seems like a cool thing to get at some point so they don't just sit in random places on my bookshelves.

Your body is supposed to start to kick into ketosis after about 3-5 days, I think, although some information says it takes longer. I really only started yesterday (Chris started Monday), so we will see how it goes.

Good luck! I've tried this a few times and it was pretty successful - just not sustainable for me long-term. But it seems like both of you are on board, which is a huge help!

Pretty soon we were crossing the start line. It was relatively tight heading out and basically nobody around us was doing intervals so it was pretty impossible to do our :90/:30 intervals without causing problems, so we basically ran the first mile right behind the 2:30 pace group.

Glad you eventually got to do intervals! This is something I'm trying to figure out for my first "real" race soon.

There are some warnings with this change to low carbs that you need more salt and fluids because carbs actually help to store fluid and you get depleted more easily.

Interesting - and especially running a race what seems like so soon after starting I'm sure it was a little different.

Only about 30 seconds slower than the Bentonville half last weekend. Not too bad all things considered. And with that finish we became officially eligible for Half Fanatics!!

Awesome!! Glad you guys made it through and got to a goal for the year :)

I keep meaning to mention that you guys are in AR - my family is from Fort Smith, and even though I've spent the past 4 or so years far away, I love hearing about home :)
We actually live in SW Missouri, but that's obviously close to AR. It's really beautiful down there.

Good luck! I've tried this a few times and it was pretty successful - just not sustainable for me long-term. But it seems like both of you are on board, which is a huge help!

That's good to hear that you had success with it. I think having both of us doing it is key. If Chris were sitting down with a big plate full of biscuits and gravy it would be hard for me to resist. :)

Glad you eventually got to do intervals! This is something I'm trying to figure out for my first "real" race soon.

That's really the first race where we've struggled that much to find space to do. Also the first one in a long time where we didn't see a lot of others also doing intervals. What's the race you have coming up?

Awesome!! Glad you guys made it through and got to a goal for the year :)

Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter