Handicapped Room Inquiry

DisneeRunner

Earning My Ears
We were late in booking our cruise, so we knew the chances of getting handicapped rooms was slim. Disney came through for us and found one handicapped room. We booked a category 09B GTY room for the second room and they placed a note on the file indicating we needed/preferred a handicapped room, as we will be traveling with scooters.

We were assigned our GTY room today and it is not handicapped. The last time we were on a cruise was in 2008 & we ended up being moved to a handicapped room once we boarded the ship because someone that had requested it didn't really need it.

Has anyone had any luck with this, or is it really just at the discretion of Guest Services the day we board? I just emailed Disney to see if any rooms had opened up, but there don't appear to be any in the 'general' available inventory online.

FYI - There is scooter parking behind the elevators on deck 6 on the Magic. I would assume the Wonder would have the same area. On the Fantasy and Dream there is an area outside the Enchanted Garden for scooter parking.

Please follow up with your ship and cabin information when assigned. I would love to hear how things work out. We've always been hesitant to book a category rather than a specific cabin. We also travel with a scooter.

FYI - There is scooter parking behind the elevators on deck 6 on the Magic. I would assume the Wonder would have the same area. On the Fantasy and Dream there is an area outside the Enchanted Garden for scooter parking.

Please follow up with your ship and cabin information when assigned. I would love to hear how things work out. We've always been hesitant to book a category rather than a specific cabin. We also travel with a scooter.

Thanks for the reply! I'll update once I hear from Disney. This GTY room was actually the ONLY one available when we booked. There are now some other rooms open, but it doesn't even look like there are Category 9 Handicapped Rooms on the ship. A part of me wants to upgrade to a larger room, but with the scooter 'areas' available I don't know that it is necessary.

A question to ask yourself is how far you want to walk to get your scooter. Check the deck plans to see where the scooter areas are located. We were fortunate to get a room a short distance from the deck 6 area on the Magic. On our cruise, the area was filled with scooters, wheel chairs, and huge strollers. There is also a space opposite the elevator bank, between the stairs, for several scooters. There are some outlets there for charging too.

We were late in booking our cruise, so we knew the chances of getting handicapped rooms was slim. Disney came through for us and found one handicapped room. We booked a category 09B GTY room for the second room and they placed a note on the file indicating we needed/preferred a handicapped room, as we will be traveling with scooters.

We were assigned our GTY room today and it is not handicapped. The last time we were on a cruise was in 2008 & we ended up being moved to a handicapped room once we boarded the ship because someone that had requested it didn't really need it.

We where 09A gty room on the Dream on Jan 27, they gave us a hadicapped room but we don't need it. If you are on this cruise I would switch with you.

A question to ask yourself is how far you want to walk to get your scooter. Check the deck plans to see where the scooter areas are located. We were fortunate to get a room a short distance from the deck 6 area on the Magic. On our cruise, the area was filled with scooters, wheel chairs, and huge strollers. There is also a space opposite the elevator bank, between the stairs, for several scooters. There are some outlets there for charging too.

Thank you! I wasn't sure how much room there would really be in the scooter parking area. I can easily walk to get the scooter for my dad, but won't be in his room so it would certainly be easier if he could keep it with him.

Good luck! Just as a side comment, I wish DCL would have considered adding more ADA cabins rather than the concierge cabins they added on the Wonder. My daughter has to have her wheelchair and we don't have a choice but to have the ADA cabins. Unfortunately we have had to forego particular cruises in the past because the few ADA cabins they have were not available. We have talked to several other families who have experienced the same issues. Anyway just a little rant/observation (LOVE DCL though!!! They have always been wonderful with my daughter)

Good luck! Just as a side comment, I wish DCL would have considered adding more ADA cabins rather than the concierge cabins they added on the Wonder. My daughter has to have her wheelchair and we don't have a choice but to have the ADA cabins. Unfortunately we have had to forego particular cruises in the past because the few ADA cabins they have were not available. We have talked to several other families who have experienced the same issues. Anyway just a little rant/observation (LOVE DCL though!!! They have always been wonderful with my daughter)

I just spoke with DCL & they advised that no GTY bookings were assigned handicapped rooms. Doesn't sound like we will luck out with a handicapped room this trip, but that's okay - we will have a good time regardless! I do hope that those who booked the rooms truly need them, though!

I just spoke with DCL & they advised that no GTY bookings were assigned handicapped rooms. Doesn't sound like we will luck out with a handicapped room this trip, but that's okay - we will have a good time regardless! I do hope that those who booked the rooms truly need them, though!
Have a wonderful cruise!

A handicapped room became available on the DCL website last night. We sail on Friday. Given how close we are to the cruise, the handicapped accessible room has skyrocketed in price, and is now $3500 more than the room my parents are currently in. They had booked a lower category GTY as that was the only thing available when we booked last year. Called DCL & they pretty much told us that even though a handicapped room is available & there's a strong possibility that there will be falls trying to get in/out of the shower/tub combo, they'd rather place a family that does not need an accessible room but booked that category originally into the room rather than moving my parents (who did not purchase that category room, because it wasn't available when we booked) into the room. If the room had been available when we booked we would've taken it, but unfortunately coming up with $3500 overnight just isn't possible. Bummer but it is what it is!

A handicapped room became available on the DCL website last night. We sail on Friday. Given how close we are to the cruise, the handicapped accessible room has skyrocketed in price, and is now $3500 more than the room my parents are currently in. They had booked a lower category GTY as that was the only thing available when we booked last year. Called DCL & they pretty much told us that even though a handicapped room is available & there's a strong possibility that there will be falls trying to get in/out of the shower/tub combo, they'd rather place a family that does not need an accessible room but booked that category originally into the room rather than moving my parents (who did not purchase that category room, because it wasn't available when we booked) into the room. If the room had been available when we booked we would've taken it, but unfortunately coming up with $3500 overnight just isn't possible. Bummer but it is what it is!

Is the price difference showing when you try to modify your reservation? If so, the price has been “locked in” on the day you made your initial reservation. $3500 is what would have cost you more on the day you booked your cruise. I expect you already knew that since you said you call DCL about it, just wanting to make sure!

That’s
Is the price difference showing when you try to modify your reservation? If so, the price has been “locked in” on the day you made your initial reservation. $3500 is what would have cost you more on the day you booked your cruise. I expect you already knew that since you said you call DCL about it, just wanting to make sure!

that’s what I thought but the agent I spoke with said the price would continue to increase between now and Friday. I called again this morning to confirm!

That’s

that’s what I thought but the agent I spoke with said the price would continue to increase between now and Friday. I called again this morning to confirm!

That's not how DCL pricing goes. Price may change for new bookings, existing are locked in price. (For the best or worst.)

Edit: have you tried selecting the new room within the web site?

That's not how DCL pricing goes. Price may change for new bookings, existing are locked in price. (For the best or worst.)

Edit: have you tried selecting the new room within the web site?

That’s what I thought but I asked two separate agents if the price would increase if I waited (assuming the room was still available) & they both said it would. They both knew I was trying to modify the existing reservation. The cost I’m being shown is the same whether I try to book a new reservation or modify, & is more than I paid for the same category room the day we booked (we have two rooms.)

That’s what I thought but I asked two separate agents if the price would increase if I waited (assuming the room was still available) & they both said it would. They both knew I was trying to modify the existing reservation. The cost I’m being shown is the same whether I try to book a new reservation or modify, & is more than I paid for the same category room the day we booked (we have two rooms.)
Call and ask again. If the person answering the phone give you the same answer, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Did you book a GTY (with a specific category)? Or a OGT (no specific category)?

If it's the former, you are locked into the prices for any other category on the cruise that were in effect at the time you made your original booking. If it's the latter, you aren't.

OP - have you reached out to DCL Special Services? Or are you simply dealing with regular booking phone CMs? I would try to see if Special Services can help intervene on your behalf to work something out.
Phone: (407) 566-3602 Fax: (407) 566-3760 TTY: (407) 566-7455
Email: SpecialServices@disneycruise.com

Enjoy your cruise!

Call and ask again. If the person answering the phone give you the same answer, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Did you book a GTY (with a specific category)? Or a OGT (no specific category)?

If it's the former, you are locked into the prices for any other category on the cruise that were in effect at the time you made your original booking. If it's the latter, you aren't.
It was a GTY (specific category).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter