Handicapped Room Inquiry

DisneeRunner

Earning My Ears
We were late in booking our cruise, so we knew the chances of getting handicapped rooms was slim. Disney came through for us and found one handicapped room. We booked a category 09B GTY room for the second room and they placed a note on the file indicating we needed/preferred a handicapped room, as we will be traveling with scooters.

We were assigned our GTY room today and it is not handicapped. The last time we were on a cruise was in 2008 & we ended up being moved to a handicapped room once we boarded the ship because someone that had requested it didn't really need it.

Has anyone had any luck with this, or is it really just at the discretion of Guest Services the day we board? I just emailed Disney to see if any rooms had opened up, but there don't appear to be any in the 'general' available inventory online.

g_ppetto

Mouseketeer
FYI - There is scooter parking behind the elevators on deck 6 on the Magic. I would assume the Wonder would have the same area. On the Fantasy and Dream there is an area outside the Enchanted Garden for scooter parking.

Please follow up with your ship and cabin information when assigned. I would love to hear how things work out. We've always been hesitant to book a category rather than a specific cabin. We also travel with a scooter.

DisneeRunner

Earning My Ears
FYI - There is scooter parking behind the elevators on deck 6 on the Magic. I would assume the Wonder would have the same area. On the Fantasy and Dream there is an area outside the Enchanted Garden for scooter parking.

Please follow up with your ship and cabin information when assigned. I would love to hear how things work out. We've always been hesitant to book a category rather than a specific cabin. We also travel with a scooter.
Thanks for the reply! I'll update once I hear from Disney. This GTY room was actually the ONLY one available when we booked. There are now some other rooms open, but it doesn't even look like there are Category 9 Handicapped Rooms on the ship. A part of me wants to upgrade to a larger room, but with the scooter 'areas' available I don't know that it is necessary.

• Disney Cruise Line Shipboard Credits up to $1000!
    Just make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel and you’ll receive up to $1000 in shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!
    Click Here for Details

Already have a Disney Cruise Line reservation booked?
    If you booked your DCL reservation within the last 30 days, Email us (DreamsCruise@DreamsUnlimitedTravel.com) to see if we can save you money, apply a Shipboard Credit, or recieve our Exclusive Gift!
    *Deposit paid. Not paid in full. Other Restrictions Apply.

• g_ppetto

Mouseketeer
    A question to ask yourself is how far you want to walk to get your scooter. Check the deck plans to see where the scooter areas are located. We were fortunate to get a room a short distance from the deck 6 area on the Magic. On our cruise, the area was filled with scooters, wheel chairs, and huge strollers. There is also a space opposite the elevator bank, between the stairs, for several scooters. There are some outlets there for charging too.

4formickey

DIS Veteran
    We were late in booking our cruise, so we knew the chances of getting handicapped rooms was slim. Disney came through for us and found one handicapped room. We booked a category 09B GTY room for the second room and they placed a note on the file indicating we needed/preferred a handicapped room, as we will be traveling with scooters.

We were assigned our GTY room today and it is not handicapped. The last time we were on a cruise was in 2008 & we ended up being moved to a handicapped room once we boarded the ship because someone that had requested it didn't really need it.

We where 09A gty room on the Dream on Jan 27, they gave us a hadicapped room but we don't need it. If you are on this cruise I would switch with you.

DisneeRunner

Earning My Ears
    A question to ask yourself is how far you want to walk to get your scooter. Check the deck plans to see where the scooter areas are located. We were fortunate to get a room a short distance from the deck 6 area on the Magic. On our cruise, the area was filled with scooters, wheel chairs, and huge strollers. There is also a space opposite the elevator bank, between the stairs, for several scooters. There are some outlets there for charging too.
    Thank you! I wasn't sure how much room there would really be in the scooter parking area. I can easily walk to get the scooter for my dad, but won't be in his room so it would certainly be easier if he could keep it with him.

• EXCLUSIVE - Dreams Unlimited Travel Gift Basket!
    Book your Disney Cruise Line vacation through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive an exclusive, complimentary Gift Basket. This Gift Basket is a result of client feedback as well as posts from DISboards.com; we call it our “What you didn't know you needed on a Disney Cruise Kit”.
    Click Here for Details

• thumpie's mom

Mouseketeer
    Good luck! Just as a side comment, I wish DCL would have considered adding more ADA cabins rather than the concierge cabins they added on the Wonder. My daughter has to have her wheelchair and we don't have a choice but to have the ADA cabins. Unfortunately we have had to forego particular cruises in the past because the few ADA cabins they have were not available. We have talked to several other families who have experienced the same issues. Anyway just a little rant/observation (LOVE DCL though!!! They have always been wonderful with my daughter)

DisneeRunner

Earning My Ears
    Good luck! Just as a side comment, I wish DCL would have considered adding more ADA cabins rather than the concierge cabins they added on the Wonder. My daughter has to have her wheelchair and we don't have a choice but to have the ADA cabins. Unfortunately we have had to forego particular cruises in the past because the few ADA cabins they have were not available. We have talked to several other families who have experienced the same issues. Anyway just a little rant/observation (LOVE DCL though!!! They have always been wonderful with my daughter)
    I just spoke with DCL & they advised that no GTY bookings were assigned handicapped rooms. Doesn't sound like we will luck out with a handicapped room this trip, but that's okay - we will have a good time regardless! I do hope that those who booked the rooms truly need them, though!

thumpie's mom

Mouseketeer
    I just spoke with DCL & they advised that no GTY bookings were assigned handicapped rooms. Doesn't sound like we will luck out with a handicapped room this trip, but that's okay - we will have a good time regardless! I do hope that those who booked the rooms truly need them, though!
    Have a wonderful cruise!

• Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

Book your Disney Cruise through Dreams Unlimited Travel and receive a Shipboard Credit and an Exclusive Gift Basket!

DECK PLANS

STATEROOMS

ITINERARIES