• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hamilton on Disney Plus this Friday....who's excited!!??

I do too (I don't have good hearing). One thing that annoys me on Netflix is when the show is dupped (i.e. original wasn't in English and they've dupped it into English). The dupping and captioning often do not match. It's generally the same meaning and doesn't affect understanding, but it is annoying.

Yesterday, for example, I started watching "Cable Girls" (originally Spanish). At one point, the character says:

"Do you know what the penalty for murder is, Katia?"
"The garrotte."

But the caption says:

"Do you know what happens to murderers?"
"The hangman's noose".

Okay, so in both versions, you find out that murderers are executed, but it's pretty different. And annoying.

I think you mean "dubbed."

Would you believe me if I said that that is how it is spelled in Canada? You know like color versus colour? :duck:

No, but only because I googled it to see if I was for some reason unfamiliar with the term "dupping" before making the post. ;)

It took me a solid 4 or 5 times listening to the cast recording (I had bought it for my husband), before I really started to appreciate it. Now, I love it. Did you have closed captioning on the first time? There are over 20,000 words in the show, and following it can be pretty hard the first time through.
I read the libretto before seeing the show live and that made a huge difference. (I did the same thing before seeing Les Miz).
Denise

It's not being covered by most news sources but former vice presidential candidate for the Green Party, Rosa A. Clemente has started the hashtag "CancelHamilton" on Twitter. It's not taking off and I'm sure there is no traction there and Lin-Manuel has commented with "All the criticisms are valid."

A petition was started by "a national coalition of organizations and individuals concerned about the continued celebration of the legacy of Alexander Hamilton" called AbajoHamilton. as I write this it has 318 signatures.

I guess this is "The New World Order". Again, I'm sure nothing will come of this (Disney+ got an estimated 72% bump in app downloads over the weekend) but it's sad to me that some people want to "cancel" history. Even history as entertainment.

It's not being covered by most news sources but former vice presidential candidate for the Green Party, Rosa A. Clemente has started the hashtag "CancelHamilton" on Twitter. It's not taking off and I'm sure there is no traction there and Lin-Manuel has commented with "All the criticisms are valid."

A petition was started by "a national coalition of organizations and individuals concerned about the continued celebration of the legacy of Alexander Hamilton" called AbajoHamilton. as I write this it has 318 signatures.

I guess this is "The New World Order". Again, I'm sure nothing will come of this (Disney+ got an estimated 72% bump in app downloads over the weekend) but it's sad to me that some people want to "cancel" history. Even history as entertainment.

And what is their concern with celebrating Hamilton? I am perplexed by the need for this petition. Nobody is forcing anybody to watch it.

My mum doesn't like "pop" music or pop culture BUT she does love musical theatre and history and has been watching The Shows Must Go On almost every Friday night since the lockdown in March. She even watched The Wiz the week it was on, even though she had never heard of it and didn't recognize any of the performers, ( Yes I know , the amount of music awards on that stage is amazing)

Over the weekend she has been watching promo for Hamilton and I gave her background about the show and Alexander Hamilton.

I'm just about to show her how to log into my Disney + account so that tomorrow when I'm at work she can watch it.

And what is their concern with celebrating Hamilton? I am perplexed by the need for this petition. Nobody is forcing anybody to watch it.
From the petition:
Our coalition is calling on Disney CEO Bob Chapek to be on the right side of history and cancel the opening of the Hamilton movie, which celebrates Alexander Hamilton, a founding father who bought Black bodies, sold Black souls and profited from Black enslavement.

Alexander Hamilton, the founding father that historians like Harvard’s Annette Gordon-Reed, say "bought and sold slaves for his in-laws,” a slave merchant for whom opposing slavery was “never at the forefront of his agenda."

And...

Because Alexander Hamilton bought and sold slaves, because he played such a foundational role in the development of capitalism in the United States, we believe Hamilton should be known as “the father of racial capitalism.” We believe that the legacy of Alexander Hamilton should be mourned, not celebrated in history, in Hip-Hop or in Hollywood.

From the petition:
Our coalition is calling on Disney CEO Bob Chapek to be on the right side of history and cancel the opening of the Hamilton movie, which celebrates Alexander Hamilton, a founding father who bought Black bodies, sold Black souls and profited from Black enslavement.

Alexander Hamilton, the founding father that historians like Harvard’s Annette Gordon-Reed, say "bought and sold slaves for his in-laws,” a slave merchant for whom opposing slavery was “never at the forefront of his agenda."

And...

Because Alexander Hamilton bought and sold slaves, because he played such a foundational role in the development of capitalism in the United States, we believe Hamilton should be known as “the father of racial capitalism.” We believe that the legacy of Alexander Hamilton should be mourned, not celebrated in history, in Hip-Hop or in Hollywood.

You know, I’ve seen Hamilton live twice and watched the film. I never felt that the show celebrates A. Ham. I always felt that it cast him in a more negative light - he seemed like a pompous, mouthy adulterer 🤷🏽‍♀️, who managed to still achieve some things that were instrumental to the formation of this country as we now know it.

I also can appreciate it for what it is..... a musical production for entertainment. I feel like people revere the production (and LMM/A.Lac/T. Kail) itself, as opposed to A. Ham.

Hamilton, not unlike all humans, was a man with flaws. I read Chernow's book. He had a LOT.
<why I didn't think, "Hey, this would make a great musical!" is something I don't understand>
You know, I’ve seen Hamilton live twice and watched the film.
I haven't watched the film yet but I've seen the show 163 times. I agree with you; Mr. Hamilton came off as a very flawed man who did some great things. Some people be crazy...

You know, I’ve seen Hamilton live twice and watched the film. I never felt that the show celebrates A. Ham. I always felt that it cast him in a more negative light - he seemed like a pompous, mouthy adulterer 🤷🏽‍♀️, who managed to still achieve some things that were instrumental to the formation of this country as we now know it.

I also can appreciate it for what it is..... a musical production for entertainment. I feel like people revere the production (and LMM/A.Lac/T. Kail) itself, as opposed to A. Ham.

Totally agree. My daughter and I both commented after we saw it the first time that most of the Founding Fathers came across as major A you know whats except for George Washington. Rising up from nothing like he did is impressive, including all he was able to create, but he certainly had major flaws and many were portrayed in the musical.

The whole performance package was amazing to me and the fact that it taught a little history to people is a side benefit. LMM is the genius and who I celebrate, not Hamilton.

Totally agree. My daughter and I both commented after we saw it the first time that most of the Founding Fathers came across as major A you know whats except for George Washington. Rising up from nothing like he did is impressive, including all he was able to create, but he certainly had major flaws and many were portrayed in the musical.

The whole performance package was amazing to me and the fact that it taught a little history to people is a side benefit. LMM is the genius and who I celebrate, not Hamilton.

I love everything the man does! He’s a genius.

My very "woke" college dd mentioned the same thing. All these listed criticisms of Hamilton, glorifying the founding fathers. I was wondering if the critics had even watched the show. I think George Washington comes across the best, but the rest are scheming jerks, and Hamilton, while obviously brilliant, was just as bad. The other criticism was that it was a show that was made to entertain white people at $900 a ticket. I mean, not initially. Like all shows, it started out hoping to make money. That fact that it's so expensive now is because it's good. And LMM had a lottery for super cheap tickets at (every?) show. And staged it in PR for residents there. Dd was surprised at all these things that weren't being talked about in the "why Hamilton is bad" discussions.

These lunatics (Michael Rappaport among them) are the same people who are knocking over statues of Ghandi, George Washington, Fredrick Douglass, US Grant and the 54th.

Best to ignore them because they hate everything and are full of hate and negativity.

Loved it! I saw it on Broadway a few years ago and I have watched the one someone filmed there and had on YouTube at least 25 times. watched it twice so far on Disney plus!

Loved it! I saw it on Broadway a few years ago and I have watched the one someone filmed there and had on YouTube at least 25 times. watched it twice so far on Disney plus!

It plays continuously while I do my crunches and stretching after my workout. I just hit play and keep watching it over and over. Intend to do that until my one month subscription is up. LOL. I notice new things every time I watch. Subtle face expressions. Choreography. Lighting. It truly is a masterpiece of musical theatre. Of course, if you don't enjoy musical theatre, this show probably isn't your thing. I'm a total geek over the genre. LOL.

Watched it last night with my kids, and I must be one of the only people in this world who didn't like it - at all. I am really glad that we didn't buy tickets to see it when it was in my city, because I think I would have regretted spending all that money.

Now - before everyone flames me, I am an adult on the autism spectrum (high functioning), and it was just too much for me. It was loud, sooooo long, and there weren't any breaks for me to catch my breath (other than the one minute intermission with glorious silence). I agree with everyone else that it portrayed Alexander Hamilton as a pretty flawed guy and didn't glorify him. But I much would have rather read the book instead.

Watched it last night with my kids, and I must be one of the only people in this world who didn't like it - at all. I am really glad that we didn't buy tickets to see it when it was in my city, because I think I would have regretted spending all that money.

Now - before everyone flames me, I am an adult on the autism spectrum (high functioning), and it was just too much for me. It was loud, sooooo long, and there weren't any breaks for me to catch my breath (other than the one minute intermission with glorious silence). I agree with everyone else that it portrayed Alexander Hamilton as a pretty flawed guy and didn't glorify him. But I much would have rather read the book instead.

My mother did not like it either as she could not understand the words. I can certainly see how it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Just a thought, there are many places you can stop it yourself to take a break. I have been watching it during my workouts this week. I just stop if and restart again later.

I think if you haven't seen it before and don't know the words then the Disney Plus version may not have been the ideal format for someone new. I felt that they turned up the vocals really loud compared to the orchestra on the Disney Plus version compared to the show and I could see how that could turnoff someone who wasn't a previous fan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter