Halloween

I'm going to put some bagged treats out on a table in the front yard so that anyone trick or treating can just take their own.

This is exactly what we are going to do. We don't get a ton of kids here, I think last year we saw maybe 10? I'm going to make up the bags this week and then leave them on the front step with a sign.

I've thought about just leaving it on the step with a "take 1" sign, but does that really work? Maybe most kids will only take 1, but it only takes a few to empty out the bowl.

I've thought about just leaving it on the step with a "take 1" sign, but does that really work? Maybe most kids will only take 1, but it only takes a few to empty out the bowl.

I wouldn't even put them in a bowl. Put them in individual bags and then stagger the bags across a little table. That way, each kid is only touching one bag and it would be more obvious if they are taking more than one.

My Mother and Sister were thinking of clothes pegging chip bags to their fence. It funs along the side of their front door sidewalk.

DH just came back from Canadian Tire with a 10 ft length of plumbing tubing. He's going to have the kids hold their bags under the tube and put the candy in the other end for them to catch. Great fun for the school-aged kids, but the littles will still have to come to the door, I think.

DH just came back from Canadian Tire with a 10 ft length of plumbing tubing. He's going to have the kids hold their bags under the tube and put the candy in the other end for them to catch. Great fun for the school-aged kids, but the littles will still have to come to the door, I think.

The littles will all have parents with them, so that should work for them too.

This is what we plan to do as well. DH has orange spray paint to make it more festive. We normally get 150-200 kids, hard to say how many this year.

Last edited:

I'm going to put some bagged treats out on a table in the front yard so that anyone trick or treating can just take their own.

This is our plan as well. We will put the table by the side walk and we will sit closer to the house with a fire going so we can see all the kids dressed. That is if we get any. We live on a smaller street and only about 3 of us hand out candy so most people skip our street. Ours kids are 13 and 14 so kind of getting to the age of not going. Last year DS had friends over and they only went out for about an hour if that. They would rather play video games. DD wasn't going to go at all last year but last minute decided to go with the boys. This year they are good if we just buy them some candy.

You reminded me that last year my DS went to his first Halloween party, too. He had such a great time with his friends. Now I’m sad for him.

We will hand out candy. We bought full size chocolate bars and will make a bag with those and some other candy. Will probably sit outside and hand it out using our little tikes slide we have for the grandkid! Kids are missing out on a lot this year....no school trips, lots aren’t even having friends over. Might as well get some candy and enjoy the evening.

Our boys are too old to go out. I am hoping the oldest doesn't go hang out with friends that weekend. So far, both boys have have not done much socializing. I am sure that there will be a few house parties going on for the 19 yr old to go to :worried: He has been pretty good about staying home.

We will be handing out candy. I will premake some bags of candy to give out. I will sanitize my hands once I open the door...so parents can see that I have done that. We are a more mature area...and do not get many kids, but we usually see between 30 - 40 kids.

I am trying to figure out a way to make the trick or treating fun for the adults. We usually will give a shooter to parents ( if they want ) and also either fill their travel mug with hot chocolate, or give out a disposable cup if they want it. In -10 to -20 or colder they appreciate it!!!! I am trying to figure out how to keep it safe for both myself and them :flower:

Sadly I won't be giving out candy this year. I have for over 20 years but live in a suburb and usually see over 200 kids driven in by the vanload from rural areas and nearby cities. Plus adults with costumed dogs, newborn babies dressed up carried by parents, etc. While fun, its a real circus. The kids and adults cluster on the front step and its too much this year. I have parents in their late 70s, clients and coworkers in their 60s and 70s with health issues and others who are nurses who work in seniors and critical care floors. Too much risk for one night. While my small city isn't in a high risk category, I suspect some municipal govts will say no trick or treating at the last minute. That's a lot of candy $ investment to consume by yourself. Don't think anything is really predictable this year as first Halloween with pandemic. :sad2:

We are not handing out candy or decorating the house. Our house is usually the best decorated in the neighborhood. We also have an amp playing music, strobe lighting, fog machine, etc ☹️
I just don’t want to be exposed to any people I don’t have to be.

Even as an adult, it's my favorite holiday. It's so sad, but no trick or treating for us. We also aren't decorating our door for the first time ever, as we won't be giving out candy. But we are still doing stuff
  • decorating the inside of our house
  • I am creating a scavenger hunt for our kids to find candy
  • carve pumpkins (and bake the seeds)
  • my younger one is dressing up (will wear during the hunt)
We usually buy 200 pieces of candy as we live in an area with lots of kids. Will buy variety for our hunt (chocolates + chewy/hard candiies) but not nearly the same amount.

Even as an adult, it's my favorite holiday. It's so sad, but no trick or treating for us. We also aren't decorating our door for the first time ever, as we won't be giving out candy. But we are still doing stuff
  • decorating the inside of our house
  • I am creating a scavenger hunt for our kids to find candy
  • carve pumpkins (and bake the seeds)
  • my younger one is dressing up (will wear during the hunt)
We usually buy 200 pieces of candy as we live in an area with lots of kids. Will buy variety for our hunt (chocolates + chewy/hard candiies) but not nearly the same amount.

I think we have already eaten that many candies lol... should not have bought them so early ;) kiddo only likes chewy/hard candies and I like chocolate... I found a box of Reece's mixed with Jolly Rancher style, perfect mix for us.

I think we have already eaten that many candies lol... should not have bought them so early ;) kiddo only likes chewy/hard candies and I like chocolate... I found a box of Reece's mixed with Jolly Rancher style, perfect mix for us.
My kids usually give me their recees peanut butter cups (my favorite) but they prefer snickers as a chocolate (and like your kids really prefer the hard and chewy candies) So may have to buy extra....lol

I hid the bags of candy in a closet under the stairs in my basement so that DH and DS don't find them and it is a pain in the rear for me to go down to get one! :D

I packed up little bags of candy tonight and labeled them with a "Packed on" date so parents will know the candy hasn't been touched for 2 weeks. I've got enough for about 120 kids. We are a maturing neighbourhood, but I do like to be prepared. I'd hate to run out.
Very thoughtful, and a good idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter