Halloween Party and Autism

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
My daughter with ASD really wants to do the Halloween party. My fear is however - she will want to do the character meet and greets and she just can't wait in line for much more than 20-30 minutes. Would there be any hope of ever meeting Pooh and Jack in those time frames? We're looking at Sunday Sept 15.

The lines are long and there is no DAS for them at this time. I would go st the end of the night for your best bet but this is one big problem I have with MNSSHP I can do even less time and I have only meet the 7D once and had about a 30-45 minute meltdown after.

There is no DAS or anything for the meet and greets. The lines are long. Longer then 20-30 minutes. Jake's line will not really shorten at any point and people will start lining up for him before the party even starts. I would suggest sitting down with your daughter and explaining that IF you do the party, that would mean long lines to meet any of the characters. You know your daughter best and if you believe she couldn't handle the lines, then that may be the answer there.

My daughter with ASD really wants to do the Halloween party. My fear is however - she will want to do the character meet and greets and she just can't wait in line for much more than 20-30 minutes. Would there be any hope of ever meeting Pooh and Jack in those time frames? We're looking at Sunday Sept 15.

How many people in your group? Could one person take her for a break, then back again as needed, while the others stay in the queue? As long as you don't go too far, and the CM is okay with it, maybe this could work?

Keeping a couple placeholders in line is a viable strategy. Most people and all CMs I've seen accept this when a kiddo is having some issues. Get in line for a bit, chat up your line-mates, then take kiddo for a 'bathroom break' or a quick walk a bout.

Most of our "fellow passengers to the grave" have a semblance of human empathy still and since you're not actually affecting their time in line will not have a problem.

But just to be clear, leave one or more members of your party in the line!
Absolutely. Ideally two or more people remain in line.

Even though I just gave a lot of credit to strangers having some human emotions, there does seem to be a line. It may be a little misplaced, but there is a sense of fair play that sees the line as the price we pay to ride the ride or meet the character. I think most people are fine with a kiddo stepping out for a bit so long as they see that the toll is being paid.

a few things to note about having someone wait in line for your DD. some lines this can be very hard to do some lines have a few switch back and or are inside. also, everyone should get in line at first. If your DD can not do this then I would really think about it most people are better with someone going in and out of the line if they were there to begin with. depending on the line having her get in line to start with and then get out of line and go sit somewhere close by and have her do something ( play a game on the phone) where she can then come back close to her time. I would not let her go ride other rides or go off that fair ( a bathroom break would be the most I would feel comfortable. Some lines are better then other they are more a straight line with one or two turns where it is easier to wander off a few feet find a spot to sit and do something but others are not as easy. if you can wait until right before the party is over this tends to be the shortest wait for most I would do this for Jake and do pooh at the start of the party I would get in line maybe 30-45 minutes before the party starts and have a picnic dinner in the line go buy some food and just sit on the ground and eat. if you get done with dinner early play a game ( eye spy, guess who, if you could create any ride what would it be,) or this might be a good time for a walk around someplace close ( I know some people with ASD if they are sitting and talking about something they like or doing something they like they tend to do better then the move up 5 feet wait a minute mover up 5 feet wait a minute and so on.

We went to the Christmas party. the lines for characters and rides were very short before and during the fireworks.

A few years ago, we tried a variation on having part of the party hold a spot. But it was in a relatively short line and, well, wasn't exactly planned. We were in the Pooh line using stroller as wheel chair when my son lost it. We were able to cut across part of the line to get out, but someone in line encouraged my mom to stay. She did, and as long as it took for her to wait the line, I was able to get him calmed, and from the exit we were able to join her.

But it was a VERY short line relatively speaking because we just happened to time it right and I'm pretty sure we stood out given the screaming and hitting. People we being very kind. We didn't go anywhere near Jack.

We went to MNSSHP this past September, and it was the most crowded we have ever seen it. In fact, it was so crowded that we felt like it's probably the last time we will go to that event.

I understand why she wants to go - it's a lot of fun, but as others here have said, the meet-n-greet lines are typically long.

Aside from the meet-n-greets, is there anything in particular that is compelling to her about the party? The decorations of the Park are the same whether it is a party night or not, and with the party, there are some attractions that will be closed (it's slightly differs every year, but for example, Tiki Room is almost always closed for MNSSHP). Many of the QS spots (and the Table Service restaurants) close up early as well, so be sure to eat dinner while you can.

Aside from the Castle stage show and the parade (best ear worm ever!) which you can watch any time on YouTube, the biggest draw for kids tends to be the trick-or-treating. Disney does give out good candy :) but hitting every spot on the candy trail can be tiresome, and often you find that you are shuffling along in a line, waiting to get to the CMs with the candy.

Would she perhaps have more fun (for about the same money) if you all did a Fireworks Dessert Party instead? Just a thought, based on our most recent experience.

We were there in August for the MNSSHP (not the first one but the 2nd one of the season I think). I got in the Jack & Sally line a bit after 4pm and it was a several hour wait. It was fairly common for people to come and go out of the line while their line-mates stayed to hold the place. I got out to go get a drink, restroom, etc. while my son stayed in line and he did the same. I remember a family with younger children (like 8-10 years old) and the little girls were coming and going pretty much the whole time with an adult while their other family stayed in line. No one complained or had a problem letting them in and out (they had maybe 3-5 family members in line while the adults kept switching out with the kids). The kids kept coming back with interesting stuff to eat and were fairly entertaining lol. I personally wouldn't have thought twice about seeing people leave the line. The more adults you can put in the line the better - and it may help to let the CM's around know. Everyone was friendly and The line stayed long all night - perhaps getting a bit shorter towards the end but still at least a 90 minute wait I'd guess before they cut it off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!